Humility, how important is it?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

pickles

Senior Member
Apr 20, 2009
14,479
182
63
When it comes to humility, I often look to when Jesus washed the feet of the apostles.
I ponder often why Jesus told them in time you will understand.

God has been humbling me alot lately, almost to the place of understanding Job, just a glimce though.
Having alot taken from one is never easy, having ones own physical self can be even harder.
Ive been humbled lately in ways I never saw or knew possible, and even more, to the point of even speaking of it seems boastful.
So I hope you will forgive me if I do seem this way.

I want to open this dicussion because even though going through these difficulties has been at times very painful.
It has also brought a gift of peace and a contentment desired that can only be found in the humility of Jesus.

It has brought to question, all we have often called important, asking does anything we think or do really hold, matter?
And to see that to serve in the love of Jesus, to be all that matters.
Even then seeing all we do is God's work done in us and through us.
Not by our power, but by God's.

Anyway, I hope this can be a good discussion, in hope, that just as Im sure the apostles finnally did understand when Jesus said in time you will, that we also will understand.

In Jesus Christ is Lord come in the flesh.

God bless
pickles
 
Sometimes when called to do something difficult, remembering the Words and actions of the Messiah soon whips the horse i was about to climb on out of sight...
 
God desires all who seek after Him to be of a contrite and humble spirit. Contrite because The Lord told us to "Repent and believe the gospel", we are to realize that we are sinners and feel remorse for our sins and ask God for forgiveness. The proud and self righteous see no need to repent and God does not recognize them. It takes humility to repent, blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth.
If we become proud and self righteous as children of God, The Lord will humble us, I know from personnel experience that God expects his children to be contrite and humble, and he discplined me very severely for my disobedience. God does not mess around when it comes to his children, and He will not spare the rod and raise spoiled children. He is a loving Father and does not discpline us beyond what we can withstand, but The Lord will surely make his children humble and understand that He is God.

You must read Isaiah 57:14-21. It is a word from The Lord for you.

Christ be with you always.
 
Humility is the opposite of PRIDE. Enuf said, right?

But let's go one step further: Pride is a sneaky thing. It can manifest itself deceptively AS humility. But that is FALSE humility. People that walk in this disguise always have a personal motive for ACTING humble. It IS a character issue. Those will false humility will always be found out...will always falter and reveal their true motives....it's actions are not out of love and respect, but out of a personal desire to GAIN...position, money, favor...whatever.
Maggie
 
you know just last night i thought of how jesus is all powerful and mighty yet he humbled himself as to be beaten and cricified by ants like us. the lion and the lamb indeed
 
Look at the reason we can come to Jesus, the essence of His character is He's humble in heart. This is radical!

28“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. 29“Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. 30“For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

I think that I will see more people want to come to me if I show gentleness and humility. Lord teach me.
 
I have thought of the strength it takes to be meek! It is easy to stomp and storm, not your way Lord, don't ask THIS of me, I have things all figured out, I am very smart and that is how I see it.

When I look back on what I objected to so much, I see how God used it for good in His kingdom. Even those six months in bed that I thought so terrible, it gave me the time to delve deeply in His word and the riches were tremendous. I have often wondered why He took the daughter who lived her life so close to mine, she was only 21 when she left. But the night God gave her to me I was told that she was just lent for a little while, so I thank Him for the joy that girl gave while she was here.
 

Jas 4:6


But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
 
Being humble and meek is a good biblical walk, but does not mean weak and silent...

Moses was meek and yet BOLDLY proclaimed the truth to Pharaoh
Jesus was humbled unto the death of the cross yet whipped the thieves (money changers) from the temple

I think it has a lot to do with not lifting yourself up above what you really are and who you really are. At the end of the day, all humanity was in the same boat (I.E> lost and on the way to hell) and even after salvation and many years of biblical service God states clearly that we are to consider ourselves (bond slaves) only doing the things that we have been commanded to do and as saved individuals we are to condescend to men/women of a low estate.

Paul could have bragged as he wrote almost half of the N.T. raised the dead, preformed miracles and yet a study of his life will reveal the following path...

1. Least of the Apostles
2. Least of the Saints
3. Number 1 chief sinner among men

The more time we spend in the word, the lower we should see ourselves in the light of the righteousness of Christ.
 
God’s Word encourages humility because the lowly in heart readily accept counsel and are a delight to teach. (Luke 10:21; Colossians 3:10, 12) Like Apollos, an eloquent early Christian teacher, they are happy to adjust their viewpoint when presented with accurate new information. (Acts 18:24-26) And they are unafraid to ask questions, whereas the proud often refrain from doing so, for fear of having their ignorance exposed.
 
I really equate humility to being on our knees. And I don't just mean physically, I mean in our hearts, the mental attitudes we carry throughout every day, and the way we approach others with our hands. That we could bind ourselves to Christ as a "doulos"-- a word that encapsulates all we are supposed to be: like Job willing to have it all taken, and like the apostles, willing to lose our very lives even through painful execution.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JaumeJ
you know just last night i thought of how jesus is all powerful and mighty yet he humbled himself as to be beaten and cricified by ants like us. the lion and the lamb indeed

Good words.
Another is that God sent Jesus to us as an infant, not a grown man all powerful.
But Jesus was given to us as a tiny baby first, into the care of a simple man and woman.
How loving and humble is Our God that He trusted His only son to our care, when Jesus was so dependant upon us.

God bless
pickles
 
I have thought of the strength it takes to be meek! It is easy to stomp and storm, not your way Lord, don't ask THIS of me, I have things all figured out, I am very smart and that is how I see it.

When I look back on what I objected to so much, I see how God used it for good in His kingdom. Even those six months in bed that I thought so terrible, it gave me the time to delve deeply in His word and the riches were tremendous. I have often wondered why He took the daughter who lived her life so close to mine, she was only 21 when she left. But the night God gave her to me I was told that she was just lent for a little while, so I thank Him for the joy that girl gave while she was here.

Amen and hugs redtent.
For He will turn our sorrow into dancing!

God bless
pickles
 
Being humble and meek is a good biblical walk, but does not mean weak and silent...

Moses was meek and yet BOLDLY proclaimed the truth to Pharaoh
Jesus was humbled unto the death of the cross yet whipped the thieves (money changers) from the temple

I think it has a lot to do with not lifting yourself up above what you really are and who you really are. At the end of the day, all humanity was in the same boat (I.E> lost and on the way to hell) and even after salvation and many years of biblical service God states clearly that we are to consider ourselves (bond slaves) only doing the things that we have been commanded to do and as saved individuals we are to condescend to men/women of a low estate.

Paul could have bragged as he wrote almost half of the N.T. raised the dead, preformed miracles and yet a study of his life will reveal the following path...

1. Least of the Apostles
2. Least of the Saints
3. Number 1 chief sinner among men

The more time we spend in the word, the lower we should see ourselves in the light of the righteousness of Christ.

So true, the more we look to Jesus, the more we will see...
is that great streangth is not in what one claims to have, gains or does.
But in setting all aside , claiming nothing of self for Jesus.
For if we want to know Jesus, we must walk as He walked.

Good word shared, thankyou.
God bless
pickles
 
Thankyou so much for all your posts. :)
So much good food for thought.
It brings so much more to bible study.
We see alot of study here on how one scripure relates to another, interpitation, knowladge or its message.
But lately I have seen that although these things are important, that we seem to forget one of the most important perpose of the scriptures.
I was humbled and reminded of this , because I let myself be convinced that knowladge was the most important.
I forgot that knowladge was nothing with out love and humility in Jesus.
And was reminded that that God gave us His word so we may live His word.
That , just as it is important to know His word, it is more important to apply what we learn in our walk every day.
I think sometimes we forget this in our study and desire to accumulate knowladge of the scriptures.
That what matters most is that we live what we learn.
I realised that in my desire to know Him, as I know we all read and search the scriptures, because we do love Jesus so and are hungry for everything we can learn.
That knowladge alone is nothing, and will not bare fruit, if we do not live that knowladge in humility in Jesus first.
Again as I said before, if we want to know Him(Jesus) we must walk as He walked.
In humility, by faith, hope and the love of God that lasts.

Anyway, this is what has been set before me lately, so please correct where needed.

in Jesus, God bless
pickles
 
One of my top five favorite books of all-time is the book "Humility" by Andrew Murray. In it, Murray describes biblical humility and illustrates the acts of humility from Jesus and how we are to follow Him in that virtue.

I put together the video below using quotes I took from Murray's book (I posted this video on CC in the past, but hopefully it could help in this thread as well to gain some more understanding of humility).


[video=youtube_share;98Iu7dD2uCQ]http://youtu.be/98Iu7dD2uCQ[/video]
 
Loved the video and also love to read Andrew Murray. Thank you for taking the time to share this essential message with all!
 
God desires all who seek after Him to be of a contrite and humble spirit. Contrite because The Lord told us to "Repent and believe the gospel", we are to realize that we are sinners and feel remorse for our sins and ask God for forgiveness. The proud and self righteous see no need to repent and God does not recognize them. It takes humility to repent, blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth.
If we become proud and self righteous as children of God, The Lord will humble us, I know from personnel experience that God expects his children to be contrite and humble, and he discplined me very severely for my disobedience. God does not mess around when it comes to his children, and He will not spare the rod and raise spoiled children. He is a loving Father and does not discpline us beyond what we can withstand, but The Lord will surely make his children humble and understand that He is God.

You must read Isaiah 57:14-21. It is a word from The Lord for you.

Christ be with you always.

Read the scripure last night, ended up reading the whole chapter. :)
It was a beautiful and encouraging read, thankyou. :)

God bless
pickles