I’m afraid to suffer

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Rainstorm

Member
Dec 7, 2025
52
72
18
I’m afraid to suffer maybe I don’t trust God enough? It sounds like a trust issue. I am so very weak with mental illness and multiple addictions but it says in Gods word His power is made perfect in weakness…. I wish I didn’t keep screwing up.
 
I’m afraid to suffer maybe I don’t trust God enough? It sounds like a trust issue. I am so very weak with mental illness and multiple addictions but it says in Gods word His power is made perfect in weakness…. I wish I didn’t keep screwing up.

Hi @Rainstorm,

Please know that you definitely aren't alone.

I think every believer feels this way at some point -- I know I do.

I went through a troubling time earlier in the year -- the past few weeks have been almost eerily silent in comparison. And it scares me. I often tell God, "I keep feeling like I'm waiting for and endless line of shoes to drop."

In other words, things have been almost too quiet. I'm afraid of something bad happening -- and I'm afraid of suffering just like you.

I also feel like I keep messing things up, and on a daily basis. I always feel like I'm not doing enough.

I know this is where faith comes into play -- we know we fail, and we know we often don't handle things in the way God wants us to.

But God is faithful; He sustains us; He promises to never leave us; and He understands our weakness:

Hebrews 4:15 -- For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who is tempted in every way, just as we are, but he did not sin.

Jesus didn't sin, but He knows what we go through, and God forgives us when we confess our sins to Him.

Do you have a church or other Christians around you to study or pray with? I know it's cliche but I'm trying to get more involved in church, and am working on sticking to my Bible reading/prayer time more regularly.

Is there something in particular you'd like us to pray about for you?

Please let us know, and I hope you'll keep hang out here with us. 🙏🏼
 
I’m afraid to suffer maybe I don’t trust God enough? It sounds like a trust issue. I am so very weak with mental illness and multiple addictions but it says in Gods word His power is made perfect in weakness…. I wish I didn’t keep screwing up.
That is understandable.
I would prefer not to suffer too. I would not call myself afraid of it, but I certainly am not in any hurry to suffer.
There is no requirement to suffer to be saved, that I know of, although if you ask in the BDF you might find someone.
what I would say is that this is the kind weakness on your part the verse refers to, and the only way it will be vanquished is that if God deems it necesarry for you, you will suffer, but God will be there for you. It is normal to be afraid to suffer.
(also, how to spell neccesary?)
 
I’m afraid to suffer maybe I don’t trust God enough? It sounds like a trust issue. I am so very weak with mental illness and multiple addictions but it says in Gods word His power is made perfect in weakness…. I wish I didn’t keep screwing up.
"Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." Matthew 11:29-30

Whatever your burdens or trials, the Lord can make them lighter.