I’ve Committed Copyright Infringement

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
youtube closed a video i had uploaded once, saying that an Australian TV show was accusing me of copyright infringement because the video i had used had been aired on an episode of their show.
the video was a royalty-free, public access footage from NASA.
i pointed out to YT that the footage the Aussie show was complaining about wasn't even theirs to begin with, it was NASA's, and it was copyright-free public domain.
YT closed the Aussie TV show's complaint and republished my video :)

YT doesn't go around policing uploads. they have soooo many things being uploaded every day that it's impossible. with the traffic on YT it wouldn't even be possible if you had a 1 week waiting period after you try to upload before it's published -- of course with a 1-week wait YT probably would not be as popular anymore... anyway they react when someone complains, not before. it's the only thing they can do. my video was up for a year before the Aussie show even aired, and then the Aussie show complained. probably because they ran some computer code searching for matches to anything on their show.

point being, no one is going to do anything about your YT uploads unless someone complains and says you ripped them off. if you're worried about that, and you used someone's music, then write to that artist and send them a link to your video. say look i uploaded this because i like your art. i wanted to share it. ask them if they're cool with that and volunteer to take it down if they want you to.
also like previously suggested, put in the description who the music belongs to and was published by - so no one thinks you're trying to pretend it's yours, but the actual artist gets credit. i think you're fine if you do that.
btw what do u think I should do about un-Christlike comments I’ve made, subscribings I’ve done to channels that are, erm, ungodly, and also videos I’ve hit the like button on that are ungodly?

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
youtube closed a video i had uploaded once, saying that an Australian TV show was accusing me of copyright infringement because the video i had used had been aired on an episode of their show.
the video was a royalty-free, public access footage from NASA.
i pointed out to YT that the footage the Aussie show was complaining about wasn't even theirs to begin with, it was NASA's, and it was copyright-free public domain.
YT closed the Aussie TV show's complaint and republished my video :)

YT doesn't go around policing uploads. they have soooo many things being uploaded every day that it's impossible. with the traffic on YT it wouldn't even be possible if you had a 1 week waiting period after you try to upload before it's published -- of course with a 1-week wait YT probably would not be as popular anymore... anyway they react when someone complains, not before. it's the only thing they can do. my video was up for a year before the Aussie show even aired, and then the Aussie show complained. probably because they ran some computer code searching for matches to anything on their show.

point being, no one is going to do anything about your YT uploads unless someone complains and says you ripped them off. if you're worried about that, and you used someone's music, then write to that artist and send them a link to your video. say look i uploaded this because i like your art. i wanted to share it. ask them if they're cool with that and volunteer to take it down if they want you to.
also like previously suggested, put in the description who the music belongs to and was published by - so no one thinks you're trying to pretend it's yours, but the actual artist gets credit. i think you're fine if you do that.
I’m sorry to quote you so often, but basically, I think commenting and/or liking someone’s video helps it with the YouTube algorithm and helps promote the video or something like that.
edit: someone pls correct me if I’m wrong haha

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
i think the main thing is using anything Disney© owns :rolleyes:
probably. I dont go on youtube much.

I know my dad always downloads old music from it that someone else put there from their old music collection that was on vinyl. They might be long dead. I think as long as you put the correct artist and title it should be fine. If someone else has already put the same song up then you dont need to. Its just making it available.

Nobody is paying them to do this lol

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
Something I forgot to add is I’ve used a third party downloaded to download YouTube videos. I think YouTube doesn’t like this, but in terms of legality, maybe fair use can be applied here in certain cases of mine, I don’t know.

What do you think I should do about videos that I have privatized but have copyright infringement in them?
[btw I’ve edited this message]
So what? Aren't we at war with Youtube? Youtube is censoring patriots and Christians for posting the truth. I don't think twice about using third party software to download the videos from that corrupt and wicked site! If I knew they would honour the First Amendment and not censor, I wouldn't have so much justification to do this.

But so long as they censor, I hold that we are within our rights to download their videos. How much moreso if this is via third party software, not even requiring any contract with Youtube?

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
@EnglishChick @Lanolin
My concern regarding this and deleting my channel is that if I don’t post the video on the channel I currently have now, I doubt the people who helped me will get as much exposure for if I posted it
on a new channel as opposed to the one I currently have.

Does that make sense?
Ah, I see. Maybe keep it up then?

if you've confessed your sins to God He has forgiven it . Move on.

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
So what? Aren't we at war with Youtube? Youtube is censoring patriots and Christians for posting the truth. I don't think twice about using third party software to download the videos from that corrupt and wicked site! If I knew they would honour the First Amendment and not censor, I wouldn't have so much justification to do this.

But so long as they censor, I hold that we are within our rights to download their videos. How much moreso if this is via third party software, not even requiring any contract with Youtube?
Doesn't mean YT can't be used for good.

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
What should I do if I’ve made un-Christlike comments in YouTube comment sections in the past?
You can delete those comments, I think. I deleted comments I made from yt. Or just let it go. It's the past and f orgiven. I doubt many people will read the old comments anyway

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
But then what if they’re like, “oh hey why’d you just now change the subject?” 😂
Do you think a response such as “I’d rather not talk about it” could be appropriate?
of course! You don't owe anyone an explanation, it's not their business. They may be curious but it doesn't affect them

remember we aren't answerable to others . we obey God.

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021

hmm, what about downloading videos that aren’t really like censored, I guess

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
sorry I didnt understand your post doesnt make much sense to me.

If you have asked for permission from the copyright holders its ok to post a copy of it.
If you have referenced their work correctly you can make fair use of it. What you cant do is pass it off as your own, or make money from it if its not your original work.

Youtube has a lot of ads now thats putting people off from using it. But those ads basically pay you tube to be on there and they want exposure. Its annoying because people dont use or look up things on youtube because they want to buy things or see random ads that have absolutely nothing to do with the thing they want to watch.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
hmm, what about downloading videos that aren’t really like censored, I guess
Do police only arrest known criminals when they're engaged in acts of crime?

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
sorry I didnt understand your post doesnt make much sense to me.

If you have asked for permission from the copyright holders its ok to post a copy of it.
If you have referenced their work correctly you can make fair use of it. What you cant do is pass it off as your own, or make money from it if its not your original work.

Youtube has a lot of ads now thats putting people off from using it. But those ads basically pay you tube to be on there and they want exposure. Its annoying because people dont use or look up things on youtube because they want to buy things or see random ads that have absolutely nothing to do with the thing they want to watch.
whattya mean exactly by “fair use of it”

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
Btw, when I said “privatized,” I was referring to a switch from public to private (there’s three kinds of YouTube videos if I’m not wrong on this: public, private, and unlisted).

I wasn’t referring to like, some form of control or anything like that haha

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
I doubt that changes anything though, in terms of responses to my original post

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
whattya mean exactly by “fair use of it”
like a a quote, or maybe you want to photocopy some pages to study it, or as worksheets to share around in a class.
if its a track maybe an excerpt or a sample of it so others can hear what it sounds like. Thats fair use.

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
like a a quote, or maybe you want to photocopy some pages to study it, or as worksheets to share around in a class.
if its a track maybe an excerpt or a sample of it so others can hear what it sounds like. Thats fair use.
I thought you were saying that if I correctly referenced their work then it’d be okay to use it lol. I didn’t think you were referring to fair use.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I thought you were saying that if I correctly referenced their work then it’d be okay to use it lol. I didn’t think you were referring to fair use.
thats in terms of copying big works. like entire albums or books
if its just a song just reference it its should be ok.