I believe the Bible..So why do we ignore many parts of it?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blessed032

Dec 2, 2018
So like..whatsoever is pure,just,and a good report think on things. How do we watch TV with all the filth that pops up..like I'm looking at pg13 movies thinking..why so suggestive..Sex is sold in so many commercials..I'm trying to watch your basic family show..and..suggestive commercial pops up..with lingerie models saying call me! obviously meant to suduce..how do we justify watching..or what's a good solution.A couple of friends say I'm over thinking..Am I?

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
So like..whatsoever is pure,just,and a good report think on things. How do we watch TV with all the filth that pops up..like I'm looking at pg13 movies thinking..why so suggestive..Sex is sold in so many commercials..I'm trying to watch your basic family show..and..suggestive commercial pops up..with lingerie models saying call me! obviously meant to suduce..how do we justify watching..or what's a good solution.A couple of friends say I'm over thinking..Am I?
Skip past it. Thats what I do..besides I dont watch a lot of television. We got to be careful of what we let get to us.
If i watch something and commercials come, i go do something else until they r over

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I have given up on TV.. Hardly watched anything in the past 10 years... Only the occasional international soccer game.. And i usually watch those online..

If it is causing your conscience concern then it is best to avoid watching..

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Hmm... I'm reminded of an advertisement I saw a few years ago on the back cover of Reader's Digest. It was for Rephresh, a "feminine hygiene product," and it featured an ostensibly nude woman with only the Rephresh logo strategically placed. The caption was, "Sometimes all the lace in the world can't make you feel sexy."

So yeah, it's not just in TV.

I gotta say, we asked for it and we got it. We as a culture have said "you can't tell me what to do!" for so long that we got the limiters removed, and now we have to live with the culture that resulted from it.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Hmm... I'm reminded of an advertisement I saw a few years ago on the back cover of Reader's Digest. It was for Rephresh, a "feminine hygiene product," and it featured an ostensibly nude woman with only the Rephresh logo strategically placed. The caption was, "Sometimes all the lace in the world can't make you feel sexy."

So yeah, it's not just in TV.

I gotta say, we asked for it and we got it. We as a culture have said "you can't tell me what to do!" for so long that we got the limiters removed, and now we have to live with the culture that resulted from it.
Yes Lynx, we have a tendency to rebel in our youth and throw off all our shackles. Later we calm down and start to raise our children in an environment that isn't fit for an impressionable young mind. Unfortunately, we cannot put the shackles back on. :rolleyes:

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I'm just trying to find the connection between the thread title and the OP.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
One reason people may ignore parts of the bible is that it conflicts with their narrative of what is important to them.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I rarely watch TV anymore, I once went 5 years without even turning the set on. I am thinking of taking up reading again. There was a time when I averaged reading a book a week but lately have gotten mentally lazy. There are practically very few things that are pure and just in this world but that doesn't make everything bad. Currently, a great portion of my available free time is spent on this site so my choice would be to enjoy the fellowship here or sign-off and grab a book to read.

H

Hamarr

I mostly just watch sports anymore. If those didn't exist, I wouldn't have Hulu for live tv. It's mostly cars, USAA and booze commericals there.

The condensed NHL games on you tube are great, btw. Especially if your team doesn't get a lot of coverage normally.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
As scooby doo aint in tv here in germany, tv doesnt make mucg sense to me

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Skip past it. Thats what I do..besides I dont watch a lot of television. We got to be careful of what we let get to us.
If i watch something and commercials come, i go do something else until they r over
IF one can record shows............that's the best way.......but, then SOME of the Shows are worse than the Commercials aren't they?

Still, if possible, record, then fast forward...........OR, just don't watch TV........or be very selective with what you watch.

I watch the News, some Sports Programs, Nature Shows, History Channel, Automotive Shows, and FISHING Shows! :)

No worries with sex or such..........occasional cuss word though.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
IF one can record shows............that's the best way.......but, then SOME of the Shows are worse than the Commercials aren't they?

Still, if possible, record, then fast forward...........OR, just don't watch TV........or be very selective with what you watch.

I watch the News, some Sports Programs, Nature Shows, History Channel, Automotive Shows, and FISHING Shows! :)

No worries with sex or such..........occasional cuss word though.
If my boyfriend wouldnt like watching tv during dinner i wouldn't watch it at all. I watch everything on YouTube or read.
Idk how bad its in the US now but here every 15 minuts u have at least 6mins of commercials.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
Hmmm.. the OPs post doesnt give much clue as to whether male or female.... it could go either way.. :unsure:

Anyway... Your'e not overthinking.

But... there are some things we just have to learn to live with because there's not much that can be done about it. Like tv content and commercials. We could complain to the shows and see if they do anything, but they are more concerned with ratings than with morals.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
If my boyfriend wouldnt like watching tv during dinner i wouldn't watch it at all. I watch everything on YouTube or read.
Idk how bad its in the US now but here every 15 minuts u have at least 6mins of commercials.
Commercials make up almost half of the allotted time for a Program here. Sometimes though, they are better than the Program that's on! If I see one of my funny ones come on, I will watch it, but if it's the trashy ones.......FASTFORWARD!

Leftheri

May 25, 2017
I can spew off a bunch of scriptures about the difference between us and the world. Op says "we". I don't ignore any parts of the bible and unlike Op, nothing "in the world" surprises me or bothers me. What do you expect? Heaven on earth is inside us. Whining doesn't solve anything.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I can spew off a bunch of scriptures about the difference between us and the world. Op says "we". I don't ignore any parts of the bible and unlike Op, nothing "in the world" surprises me or bothers me. What do you expect? Heaven on earth is inside us. Whining doesn't solve anything.
I'd suggest you step down and reread the OP. It wasn't "whining". They asked a question... how can we justify watching this? Which doesn't seem like a literal question but rather they're trying to make a point.
The problem with the OP isn't that they are surprised or whining (which they aren't), but rather they chose to pose their message as a sarcastic question rather than simply stating a clear message.

Leftheri

May 25, 2017
I'd suggest you step down and reread the OP. It wasn't "whining". They asked a question... how can we justify watching this? Which doesn't seem like a literal question but rather they're trying to make a point.
The problem with the OP isn't that they are surprised or whining (which they aren't), but rather they chose to pose their message as a sarcastic question rather than simply stating a clear message.
Oh it's sarcasm. Well thanks for making that clear.

Aug 2, 2009
Out here they play one about every 5 minutes, then on the hour and half-hour mark they play a bunch of them all at once. Each is 15 to 30 seconds long.