I couldn't get glasses without a changed prescription, so....

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
A few years ago, I wanted to get an additional pair of glasses, in case my present ones ever break. My eyes are very good, and unchanged, for at least over 13 years, so far. I'm still able to read from Strong's Bible concordance, for example. So all I wanted was just another pair of glasses with prescription duplicate to the current ones I wear. I asked around - but every eye place demands that one have an appointment. This is wrong, I believe and probably done out of greed. I finally went to a Goodwill eye glasses department, and ask the one examining me - to not change the prescription. But he disobeyed. I was extremely disappointed at the resulting pair of glasses they gave me! And I couldn't stand them - though I tried very hard to get used to them - but I simply couldn't! I finally thought to get duplicate prescription - eye glasses through Aliexpress.com - and was very happy with the success! All they charge for is the cost of the eyeglasses. So some of you might want to try that if you happen to be in the same predicament I was in.

My husband also doesn't like the duplicate pair of glasses he got either, from an eye glasses place. He'd asked for an exact duplicate of the prescription - but they disobeyed in his case, too! He tried the new ones, and couldn't stand them, in spite of noble tries. So he doesn't use the new ones at all. He just uses his old ones. But said that if he gets desperate, he will try my method if he really needs to get another pair of glasses.

I'll also mention that I eat a number of spices from the celery family, and have done so for over 13 years, with each meal. And I believe that may be why my eyes haven't gotten worse. Though my parents' eyes both gradually got worse with age. I am currently, 62 years old.

Encouragement

Aug 25, 2020
Gosh..what a nightmare for you and your husband to be dealing with.Why on earth cant they just make the 2nd pair of glasses with the same prescription?.it's exactly the same pair of EYES!🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
The fact that it's happened to both of you means that they do the same thing to others..Thanks for sharing this with us here.
I didnt know that eating such spices from the celery family could have an impact on your eyes...most Intresting.. 👍👍

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Gosh..what a nightmare for you and your husband to be dealing with.Why on earth cant they just make the 2nd pair of glasses with the same prescription?.it's exactly the same pair of EYES!🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
The fact that it's happened to both of you means that they do the same thing to others..Thanks for sharing this with us here.
I didnt know that eating such spices from the celery family could have an impact on your eyes...most Intresting.. 👍👍
I like a little ranch dressing with my celery.

K

Kim82

it's exactly the same pair of EYES
Not necessarily. The eyes may have cataracts growing on them or the pressure in the eye might be too high, this is what causes glaucoma. If the eyes aren't tested, you won't know if anything is wrong with them.

It's not wise to keep using the same prescription for many years, while boasting that our eyes are perfectly fine. Those who wear glasses need to have their eyes retested at a scheduled time.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
Yes, it is an eye-opener, I think! It was a surprise to me, but am glad I know now what to do about it. Yes, I've heard before, that carrots are said to be good for eyes - my mom told me that. And celery, carrots, and etc. are from the same plant family - umbelliferae, so I know they all must have similar good qualities for eyes. And in the seeds form - it's concentrated, so is more powerful and easier to take on a regular basis, in daily life, I think.

Encouragement

Aug 25, 2020
Not necessarily. The eyes may have cataracts growing on them or the pressure in the eye might be too high, this is what causes glaucoma. If the eyes aren't tested, you won't know if anything is wrong with them.

It's not wise to keep using the same prescription for many years, while boasting that our eyes are perfectly fine. Those who wear glasses need to have their eyes retested at a scheduled time.
Me being a glasses wearer myself since around aged 7 I am aware that ones eyes can change with time even though visually things may seen completely fine.Over many years of having a particular prescription the eyes automatically get accustomed to them and when wanting a spare set and a back up I have at times had the same prescription given for the spare set yet this depends where you go. Some as a precaution some do test ones eyes again before ans inform the patient that their eyes have gotten worst or better as wel as any minor changes..then depending in what these are they either use the same prescription or create a new one..but also recommended that the existing one the patient has been using be changed also.
In this case having two glasses with two completely different prescriptions could do more harm than good if they begin using both glasses in alternative ways..

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
Me being a glasses wearer myself since around aged 7 I am aware that ones eyes can change with time even though visually things may seen completely fine.Over many years of having a particular prescription the eyes automatically get accustomed to them and when wanting a spare set and a back up I have at times had the same prescription given for the spare set yet this depends where you go. Some as a precaution some do test ones eyes again before ans inform the patient that their eyes have gotten worst or better as wel as any minor changes..then depending in what these are they either use the same prescription or create a new one..but also recommended that the existing one the patient has been using be changed also.
In this case having two glasses with two completely different prescriptions could do more harm than good if they begin using both glasses in alternative ways..
Well, you are right that some people's eyes get worse with time. In that case, they may be wise to try to find a trustworthy eye doctor to help check to see if their eyes are deteriorating. But it does not harm eyes to use the same glasses, I've read. I've read eye glasses do not cure eye problems - they just help one to see better. In my case, and in the case of my husband too - our eyes haven't gotten worse with time. So we're better off using the same glasses prescriptions we already feel comfortable with.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
Well, you are right that some people's eyes get worse with time. In that case, they may be wise to try to find a trustworthy eye doctor to help check to see if their eyes are deteriorating. But it does not harm eyes to use the same glasses, I've read. I've read eye glasses do not cure eye problems - they just help one to see better. In my case, and in the case of my husband too - our eyes haven't gotten worse with time. So we're better off using the same glasses prescriptions we already feel comfortable with. I don't think it is harmful to change glasses to former ones if that's all that one already has and can't afford to get others, or etc. Though yes, it would train the eyes to need whatever glasses one chose to wear. And would take repeating effort to adjust to a stronger prescription, if need be. In other words, any time a person begins using a different prescription of glasses, one has to train one's eyes to adjust to them.

I looked to see what Wikipedia says about Glaucoma. It says people with high blood pressure are more likely to get it than others, and that yes, discovering it soon enough give better hope of remedying the problem rather than getting too bad. Well, every situation is different with people. Nothing is perfect in this life. One should just pray and ask God and do one's best as to what might be best for preserving their eye health, and also according to what they can afford, etc. In our case, we both feel satisfied and happier just using the glasses we have. And in my case, I have taken preventative measures to help prevent the deterioration of my eyes, and it certainly seems to have proof that what i did, must have helped. I also have low blood pressure, though my husband tends towards high blood pressure. So that's one reason I'm unlikely to get Glaucoma, too.

We are also low-income people compared to what the USA calls low income. Though compared with poor countries, we sure have plenty, indeed!

I now looked again to see if there are other helpful articles on Glaucoma. And I found one that looks good for showing that those who get glaucoma, have deteriorating eye sight first, it sounds like. So it looks to me that if one does know they have deteriorating eyesight - this is something they'll have to look out for more as a possibility in old age. Here's the link, in case you want to see it:
https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about...e the symptoms of,that's closest to your nose.

And here's a phrase I found online that explains that wearing glasses don't cure eyes - they just help one see better:
Can glasses help improve your vision?
No. Glasses can correct vision—but, just as they can't strengthen or improve your physical eye to fix your eyesight, nor will they weaken your eyes if you wear them. ... You will not damage your vision by wearing eyeglasses, and your eyesight will not improve if you stop wearing them.

I got that from this link:
https://www.framesdirect.com/knowledge-center/glasses-health-faq

Encouragement

Aug 25, 2020
Well, you are right that some people's eyes get worse with time. In that case, they may be wise to try to find a trustworthy eye doctor to help check to see if their eyes are deteriorating. But it does not harm eyes to use the same glasses, I've read. I've read eye glasses do not cure eye problems - they just help one to see better. In my case, and in the case of my husband too - our eyes haven't gotten worse with time. So we're better off using the same glasses prescriptions we already feel comfortable with.
I used to have a pair of glasses then got a spare pair (coz the one i regularly wore kinda lookes a bit old fashioned in my eyes..😂)and I didn't realise how difficult it was to wear the spare one as the prescription was a tiny bit different...it gave me headache occassionally and made my eyes feels strangeThis was because I was wearing both the spare one and my regular one at various times and it was the two different prescription types of glssses being swapped again and again that was affecting my eyes.In the end has to choose to wear only one which was not the spare one.
Yes glasses most definatley don't cure anything they just improve the quality not your vision.I have always been short sighted...and I only notice that the constant glare of computer screens even mobile screens over the years can make my eyes feel dry.
It great that you and it husband's eyes haven't gotten worse with time...That's great...our eyes are precious...👁👁😊😊

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
You have to love how the default setting is to consider that the only motive is greed. Nothing judgmental there, right?
And how companies should automatically assume every customer knows best and just give in to their demands. Because we never see people's pride greater than their wisdom, right?
Nor could it be considered that if they bypass testing and send someone out the door with an outdated prescription which then results in them hurting themselves as a result that the company may be held liable. No, it could Only be greed, right?
*eye roll

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
I used to have a pair of glasses then got a spare pair (coz the one i regularly wore kinda lookes a bit old fashioned in my eyes..😂)and I didn't realise how difficult it was to wear the spare one as the prescription was a tiny bit different...it gave me headache occassionally and made my eyes feels strangeThis was because I was wearing both the spare one and my regular one at various times and it was the two different prescription types of glssses being swapped again and again that was affecting my eyes.In the end has to choose to wear only one which was not the spare one.
Yes glasses most definatley don't cure anything they just improve the quality not your vision.I have always been short sighted...and I only notice that the constant glare of computer screens even mobile screens over the years can make my eyes feel dry.
It great that you and it husband's eyes haven't gotten worse with time...That's great...our eyes are precious...👁👁😊😊
Yes, that's true - that would be uncomfortable for eyes, to be always switching back and forth to different prescription of glasses - it's best to stick to one at a time!
You can reduce the brightness of your computer screen, by going to computer settings for that. I don't like full brightness, myself. But of course, don't reduce the brightness to the point that it's hard to see.

Encouragement

Aug 25, 2020
Yes, that's true - that would be uncomfortable for eyes, to be always switching back and forth to different prescription of glasses - it's best to stick to one at a time!
You can reduce the brightness of your computer screen, by going to computer settings for that. I don't like full brightness, myself. But of course, don't reduce the brightness to the point that it's hard to see.
Hi yes have reduced the brightness sometime..and it does help..maybe I need to also get my eyes tested again too.
"I had a crazy though of having the brightness turned down so low that I couldn't see the screen then turning on a massive bright torch right up at the screen inorder to see it....that would completely ruin the point of having the brightness turned down in the 1st place..another bright light???..really?..🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
Hi yes have reduced the brightness sometime..and it does help..maybe I need to also get my eyes tested again too.
"I had a crazy though of having the brightness turned down so low that I couldn't see the screen then turning on a massive bright torch right up at the screen inorder to see it....that would completely ruin the point of having the brightness turned down in the 1st place..another bright light???..really?..🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I suppose so! The best way to find out is to try it, and I think you already tried it and found it didn't work to do it that way. I use lots of trial and error in figuring out what's best in things - good way to do it, I think.