I deliberately sinned today

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Yeah, I find it hard to believe that buying a pack of smokes and a lottery ticket is indicative of someone who is not saved.
At the same time. Willfully engaging in the behavior for a lifetime can/should be viewed differently.

I know my grandfather was delivered of alcoholism but smoking remained until he got emphysema at like 60 and quit. Had an extremely rough 10 years until his body "expired" a few years ago. He was VERY clear that it was a serious thing between him and the Lord to not smoke again. Had COPD and the late stages were trying.

I recognize that it's probably the hardest to kick (Take a look at the ratio of AA smokers). Even with vaping or occasional use (like cigars) there is still a bit to be said. Most scriptural arguments that are used in favor are pretty weak.

I've had a few distant family members die from it and yet that's only the tip of the iceberg.

It also doesn't help that a lot of the methods of cessation involve the same chemical or another chemical (like bupropion) and brings up additional concerns. So many triggers...very little AA style groups for this purpose in Christian contexts excepting rehabs that are like boot camps.

Would like some opinions via PM but I haven't bought a membership quite yet :p

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Yeah, I find it hard to believe that buying a pack of smokes and a lottery ticket is indicative of someone who is not saved.
I'll repeat the answer i already gave to this notion.
Oh, right, i forgot most of the world is saved, thus it makes the most sense to assume most people are saved.

Aug 20, 2019
I just wish people would check their own back-doors before they start judging others, and the biggest question is Who gave them the right to judge anyone? Oh yeah I was a pack a day smoker for 40 yrs and was saved ooh way back in the early 70's, God still loves me and shows me everyday.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I just wish people would check their own back-doors before they start judging others, and the biggest question is Who gave them the right to judge anyone? Oh yeah I was a pack a day smoker for 40 yrs and was saved ooh way back in the early 70's, God still loves me and shows me everyday.
I was saved in the early 70's too.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I'll repeat the answer i already gave to this notion.
Oh, right, i forgot most of the world is saved, thus it makes the most sense to assume most people are saved.
I would not make the assumption that most of the world is saved. Only God knows each individual's heart and whether or not they are saved. Fortunately, God understands the human condition quite well and is not quick to judge someone as others may be. Believe me, there are a lot worse things besides smoking and playing the lottery to worry about.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I would not make the assumption that most of the world is saved. Only God knows each individual's heart and whether or not they are saved. Fortunately, God understands the human condition quite well and is not quick to judge someone as others may be. Believe me, there are a lot worse things besides smoking and playing the lottery to worry about.
Yeah. I know. I wasn't being serious.
Notice I didn't say "because they are doing these things that means they aren't saved". I simply stated they likely were not saved. It was you and the other that attempted to push the two ideas into being connected, then correct me. But the thing you're "correcting" me about i never said. Good luck next time.

Denny78

Aug 14, 2019
I'm only recently saved and I smoke. Yes, It isn't good for my health but I won't have people judge for doing it,

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
I buy a lottery ticket from time to time, husband and I do it for fun. I am not a gambling addict, nor do I sin by doing it. I am 100% sure my heart is clean about it or I wouldn't be doing it. We buy a ticket or two from time to time for entertainment. It's when people get greedy, reckless and obsessive that lottery tickets become sin (it's what proceeds from the heart that is sin).
Something is a sin if it has rule over you. Someone that has a glass of wine from time to time is not a sinner. If they drink all the time, and give themselves to drink, it is a sin, because it has rule over them, instead of God.
So while cigarettes are very unhealthy, I would still look upon this with a bit more love. People in prison or other situations, do you know what a cigarette means to them? Since some people are bulimic or obese because they eat too much, should people also stop selling food? Even the best things can be abused, lest cigarettes.

I would say, pray to Jesus and hear what HE has to say about it. If you are convicted still, it's better to change your workplace than constantly be in conflict. I'd just make sure first that it's really JESUS having problem with this, because sometimes people have convictions that God did not place there, these come from the weakness of faith. Some people, per example, believe anything but vocal music in worship is sin. Or they believe must eat a certain diet to be saved.

Jul 25, 2019
Show me where in Scripture it says "thou shalt not consume tobacco products".