I Didn't Know That

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

persistent

As heavy industries take action to reduce their carbon footprint, many companies are exploring innovative methods to continue operations as normally as possible while reducing their reliance on fossil fuels. But I never thought that sails could be making a return to commercial shipping. It seems even more ridiculous that sails would be used to transport crude oil across oceans. However, the newest Chinese diesel supertanker is aiming to destroy the established conventions to bring wind-powered sailing back into vogue.

Photo: China Classification Society© Photo: China Classification Society
The MV New Aden, built by the Dalian Shipbuilding Industry Company, was recently delivered to China Merchants Energy Shipping. The new 1092-foot-long supertanker capable of carrying two million barrels of oil sports a strikingly unique feature, four carbon fiber wingsails. Each wingsail is 131 feet tall, giving the tanker a total sail area of 12,900 square feet. The sails will be operated by an automated system called Aerofoil Sails Intelligent Control. The system reacts to real-time data, such as wind speed and ship heading, to optimize the angle of the sails.

However, the wingsails are only a supplemental source of propulsion. The China Classification Society estimates that the sail will reduce diesel fuel consumption by at least 9.8 percent, translating to a CO2 emissions reduction of almost 3,200 tons over a route between the Middle East and East Asia. While the dent in emission is just a drop in a bucket, this concept will hopefully prove to be impactful in real-world applications and encourage widespread adoption. Then again, it is hypocritically an attempt to develop a more environmentally friendly method of transporting fossil fuels.

P

persistent

All blue-eyed people on Earth share the same ancestor
Jeff Parsons - 5h ago
Every blue-eyed person on Earth can trace their ancestry back to a single individual who lived between 6,000 and 10,000 years ago.

All blue-eyed people are descended from a single European individual, scientists say. (Credit: Unsplash)© Provided by Metro
Scientists have worked out that, long long ago, all humans had brown eyes. Until a specific gene mutation caused them to change.
The mutation comes from a gene called HERC2. Scientists say it switches off OCA2, another gene that regulates the amount of brown pigment that develops in the eye.
It’s believed the first person to have blue eyes lived in Europe up to 10,00 years ago. And every blue-eyed person alive today has that same mutation present in their body.
But it’s a very specific kind of gene mutation, which has meant that while eyes turned blue, hair and skin colour still retained the same levels of pigment.
A full switch off would result in albinism.

In Britain, the majority of people – 48% – have blue eyes, while 30% of us are green eyed and just 22% have brown ones.
Whereas there’s a pretty big variation in iris shades between green and brown, blue eyes have a tiny variation in the amount of melanin present.
And it’s this fact that has led Professor Eiberg, from the University of Copenhagen to suggest that blue-eyed individuals are all linked to the same ancestor.

In Britain, having brown eyes actually puts you in a minority (Credits: Getty Images)© Provided by Metro
‘They have an inherited the same switch at exactly the same spot in their DNA,’ he said.
Basically, it’s a wheel of genetic fortune what colour eyes you develop. Although brown is usually thought of as the more dominant gene, two brown-eyed parents won’t necessarily create a brown-eyed child.
It’s actually entirely possible for two brown-eyed parent to have a blue-eyed child, and vise versa.
So if you’re a blue-eyed person, you’ve got a much bigger family than you first thought. Which is kinda nice.

Attachments

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
So it all goes back to one person who dropped the genetic ball...

P

persistent

Grunge

FollowView Profile
How New Scientific Developments May Make Nuclear Fusion A Reality
Richard Milner - 1h ago
Here's a pretty clear choice for everyone: A clean, bright, beautiful future full of cheap, nigh-limitless energy with zero nuclear waste and almost no CO2 emissions, or a filthy hellscape choked by the bilge of fossil fuels jettisoning waste into the eternally blackened sky of an Earth brutalized beyond recovery. A little exaggerated? Maybe. But now it's easier to envision what's actually at stake when we talk about "clean energy," specifically the cleanest source of them all: nuclear fusion.

Scale weighing greenery against CO2© Black Salmon/Shutterstock

Buy Gold Coins/Bars and Save - Free Gold Investor Guide
Ad
invest.monex.com

Nuclear fusion, like its cousin nuclear fission, has been on the table as an energy source since the 1950s, as EUROfusion says. But while fusion never got off the ground, fission has already seen the light of day. This is why you might recognize the little nuclear waste logo that looks like a three-bladed black fan on a yellow background -- a trefoil -- from barrels of radioactive waste, warning signs on chain link fences, or cartoons with ninja turtles (the BBC has details). Sadly enough, fission got a head start on fusion because of warfare, particularly the engineering know-how necessary to change theoretical physics into bombs capable of destroying Hiroshima and Nagasaki at the end of World War II. The Manhattan Project from 1938 to 1939 was at the heart of this development, as the U.S. Department of Energy explains.

Continue reading

Attachments

P

persistent

Albert Einstein called quantum entanglement ‘spooky action at a distance’ because particles appear to share information instantaneously, even when they are widely separated. (J. Clauser (CC BY-SA 4.0), Matthias Röder/dpa/Alamy, The Royal Society (CC BY-SA 3.0))Nobel for ‘spooky’ quantum entanglement
Three quantum physicists have won the Nobel Prize in Physics for their experiments with entangled photons, in which particles of light become inextricably linked. Such experiments have laid the foundations for a plethora of quantum technologies, including quantum computers and communications. Alain Aspect, John Clauser and Anton Zeilinger will each receive one-third of the 10-million-kronor (US$915,000) prize. At the press conference announcing the award, Zeilinger paid tribute to the early-career scientists who have worked with him. “This prize would not be possible without the work of more than 100 young people over the years.”
Nature | 2 min read

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I haven't done anything to make them want to bring me in.

And if they do want me, it's pretty easy to find me.

P

persistent

IN ADDITION TO THE ARTICLE HERE WHAT OF THORIUM FUELED REACTORS?

The Register

FollowView Profile
Micro molten salt reactor can fit on a truck, power 1k homes. When it's built
Brandon Vigliarolo - 2h ago

1665009745786.png

Micro molten salt reactor can fit on a truck, power 1k homes. When it's built© Provided by The Register
Small, safer vessels could be 'silicon chip' that ushers in new nuclear age
As the US Department of Energy (DoE) continues to look for ways to improve molten salt nuclear reactors (MSRs), a team from Brigham Young University in Utah has designed one it says can fit safely in the bed of a 40-foot truck. …
The molten salt micro-nuclear reactor, which will be built by Professor Matthew Memmott and his team, has a chamber that measures just four by seven feet (1.2 x 2.1 metres), has no risk of a meltdown, and can produce enough energy to power 1,000 homes, the university said. Prof Memmott separately told The Register the reactor's output should be around 10MWe.

Live Spot Silver Prices - Substantial Inventory on Hand
Ad
invest.monex.com

"For the last 60 years, people have had the gut reaction that nuclear is bad, it's big, it's dangerous," the professor said. "Those perceptions are based on potential issues for generation one, but having the molten salt reactor is the equivalent of having a silicon chip. We can have smaller, safer, cheaper reactors and get rid of those problems."
Unlike traditional light-water reactors, which typically store uranium fuel in solid rods that have to be kept cool with liquid water to avoid a meltdown, MSRs instead dissolve fissile material into a molten salt that also acts as the reactor's primary coolant. Treating the fuel and primary coolant as one, and not relying on keeping water coolant flowing and below boiling point, is seen as one safety advantage, among others, for MSRs.

Continue reading

P

persistent

Somewhat gross but he sounds serious about retrieving human waste on the moon.

P

persistent

The Associated Press

FollowView Profile
'Forever chemicals' in deer, fish challenge hunters, tourism
By PATRICK WHITTLE, Associated Press - Yesterday 10:07 AM
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — Wildlife agencies in the U.S. are finding elevated levels of a class of toxic chemicals in game animals such as deer — and that's prompting health advisories in some places where hunting and fishing are ways of life and key pieces of the economy.

FILE - A 10-point white-tailed deer walks through the woods in Freeport, Maine, on Nov. 10, 2015. Wildlife agencies are finding elevated levels of PFAS chemicals, also called "forever chemicals," in game animals such as deer, prompting new restrictions on hunting and fishing in some parts of the country. (AP Photo/Robert F. Bukaty, File)© Provided by The Associated Press
Authorities have detected the high levels of PFAS, or per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, in deer in several states, including Michigan and Maine, where legions of hunters seek to bag a buck every fall. Sometimes called “forever chemicals” for their persistence in the environment, PFAS are industrial compounds used in numerous products, such as nonstick cookware and clothing.

This photo provided by the National Wildlife Federation shows a sign warning hunters not to eat deer because of high amounts of toxic chemicals in their meat, in Oscoda, Mich., March 26, 2021. Wildlife agencies in some parts of the country are finding elevated levels of PFAS chemicals in game animals such as deer, prompting new restrictions on hunting and fishing. (Photo by Drew YoungeDyke, National Wildlife Federation via AP)© Provided by The Associated Press
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency launched an effort last year to limit pollution from the chemicals, which are linked to health problems including cancer and low birth weight.

Bloomberg Economic News - The latest in global economics
Ad
bloomberg.com

But discovery of the chemicals in wild animals hunted for sport and food represents a new challenge that some states have started to confront by issuing “do not eat” advisories for deer and fish and expanding testing for PFAS in them.
“The fact there is an additional threat to the wildlife — the game that people are going out to hunt and fish — is a threat to those industries, and how people think about hunting and fishing,” said Jennifer Hill, associate director of the Great Lakes Regional Center for the National Wildlife Federation.

Attachments

P

persistent

Article from LNP on-line Lancaster, Pa.,
CLIMATE CHANGE

Study: Drought made 20 times more likely

Drought that stretched across three continents this summer — drying out large parts of Europe, the United States and China — was made 20 times more likely by climate change, according to a new study.

Drought dried up major rivers, destroyed crops, sparked wildfire, threatened aquatic species and led to water restrictions in Europe. It struck places already plagued by drying in the U.S., like the West, but also places where drought is more rare, like the North-east. China also just had its driest summer in 60 years, leaving its famous Yangtze river half its normal width.

Researchers from World Weather Attribution, scientists from around the world who study the link between extreme weather and climate change, say this type of drought would only happen once every 400 years across the Northern Hemisphere if not for human-caused climate change. Now they expect these conditions to repeat every 20 years.

P

persistent

P

persistent

Radar
FollowView Profile
Microsoft is wrestling with yet another problem with latest Windows 11 update
Joel Khalili - 13h ago
1665117260553.png
Microsoft is looking into new issues encountered by users running remote desktop software on Windows 11 following the latest update, an employee has confirmed.

null© Marjan Apostolovic / Shutterstock
Over the last couple of weeks, multiple administrators have taken to the Microsoft community forum to report problems. “All of our remote desktop users using Windows 11 are having problems [...] It just hangs at connecting,” explained one customer.
Although Microsoft has neither acknowledged the problem nor offered up any advice via official communication channels, a staff member intimated in response to a forum query that an investigation is ongoing.

Windows 11 problems
The latest major Windows 11 update (also known as 22H2) went live towards the end of last month, bringing with it a collection of useful upgrades, from tabs for File Explorer to improved accessibility options, new security features and more.

However, the update has inadvertently caused a variety of issues for Windows users too, leaving Microsoft scrambling to develop the necessary fixes.

Purchase gold bullion - Purchase gold bullion
Ad
mywebsearch.co

For example, it emerged that Windows 11 22H2 was hindering the performance of Nvidia GPUs, causing significant framerate drop-off, as well as causing blue screen of death (BSoD) crashes for users running 11th-gen Intel CPUs.
Separately, the update was found to force some printers back to their default factory settings, as well as causing connectivity issues that prevented professionals and home users from completing print jobs.
The last thing Microsoft will have wanted to hear, then, is that Windows 11 22H2 is potentially the source of new problems for remote desktop users.
As reported by Bleeping Computer, the nature of the problem also appears to differ from user to user; some are having trouble with initial connection, while others are being disconnected mid-session or experiencing freezing issues.
Until a fix has been implemented, IT administrators will have to roll affected devices back to a previous version of Windows 11, or do without remote desktop functionality temporarily.
TechRadar Pro has asked Microsoft for an update on the investigation into the issues.

P

persistent

PHOTO REPORT: Fruit Attraction 2022
Last week the Fruit Attraction took place in Madrid. Many importers, exporters, retailers and…

"I have 400 tons of unsold grapes on the vines"
Such a crisis seems to be getting worse day by day, along with the desperation of the many farmers…

Australia: Truckloads of oranges are dumped as food prices skyrocket
Australian inflation figures released last week showed that, in the twelve months to August, the…

"Huge demand for new Portuguese sweet potato crop"
At East4Fresh-Color2Food in the Netherlands, harvesting the first conventional sweet potatoes has…

Australian-created non browning avocado range set to launch in US
An Australian-based food innovation company is expanding with a new state-of-the-art manufacturing…

"The consumer deserves to eat an exceptional avocado and not a mediocre fruit at an unjustifiable price"
In recent years, the province of Cadiz has seen an expansion in avocado cultivation which,…

Vietnamese durian sales are ideal, but product movement of Australian oranges slowed down
The seven day holiday for National Day began on Saturday the 1st of October. However, National Day…

Early cherries and new grape varieties from Australia Fruit
The team from Australia Fruits are looking forward to being back at Asia Fruit Logistica again.…

"We have worked with Moldovan companies that get it and are real entrepreneurs"
Moldovan growers are not getting support from only USAID's HVAA project, as covered in an earlier…

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
PLANT MILK vs DAIRY Legendary comic Lewis Black once said, “There is no such thing as soy milk. It is soy juice.” And, author Dean Koontz (“Kaleidoscope”) declared, “I do not permit ... obscenities such as soy milk at my table.” People get stirred up about soy, as well as almond, cashew, hemp, oat, pea and rice milks, but they provide a good alternative to anyone who is lactose intolerant or allergic to dairy — and they’re mostly saturated fat-free.
I buy cashew "milk" regularly, to put in my daily coffee (along with unsweetened evaporated
skim milk). Both almond and soy are too flavorful for the same purpose. I am not intolerant
of dairy, but do not buy plain milk and have not for decades. I do consume a lot of dairy
otherwise in the form of cheese and *yogurt, *mostly black cherry with 9% MF :D

Makes me wonder, now, how they M the F :unsure::giggle:

P

persistent

I buy cashew "milk" regularly, to put in my daily coffee (along with unsweetened evaporated
skim milk). Both almond and soy are too flavorful for the same purpose. I am not intolerant
of dairy, but do not buy plain milk and have not for decades. I do consume a lot of dairy
otherwise in the form of cheese and *yogurt, *mostly black cherry with 9% MF :D

Makes me wonder, now, how they M the F :unsure::giggle:
LOL......Never seen Cashew milk. I have some dairy intolerance & Mozzarella cheese seems not for me. Cheddar is better. Use the cheap walmart non-dairy powder from 'corn'. I would like to see a company develop a snack based on nuts & rice. I mentioned it to a company in Minnesota, maybe a yr ago, that supplies walmart with nuts but I don't think they had any interest. The flavor of rice and nuts is addictive to me, kinda like chocolate. Quick rice half a shot glass and walnuts or pecans or ? half a shot glass. No cooking for me just out of the box. Rice softens up readily in your mouth and you are almost forced to comply with the 'chew your food' adage. Experimenting with ingredients as stated maybe someone comes up with snack food or ?! Most people won't even try this because rice out of the box sounds crazy? Even as a kid I used to eat Minute Rice out of the box. Surprised when I tried cooked rice. No good???!! Maybe Basmati cooked or yek jasmine?????!!!!

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
LOL......Never seen Cashew milk. I have some dairy intolerance & Mozzarella cheese seems not for me. Cheddar is better. Use the cheap walmart non-dairy powder from 'corn'. I would like to see a company develop a snack based on nuts & rice. I mentioned it to a company in Minnesota, maybe a yr ago, that supplies walmart with nuts but I don't think they had any interest. The flavor of rice and nuts is addictive to me, kinda like chocolate. Quick rice half a shot glass and walnuts or pecans or ? half a shot glass. No cooking for me just out of the box. Rice softens up readily in your mouth and you are almost forced to comply with the 'chew your food' adage. Experimenting with ingredients as stated maybe someone comes up with snack food or ?! Most people won't even try this because rice out of the box sounds crazy? Even as a kid I used to eat Minute Rice out of the box. Surprised when I tried cooked rice. No good???!! Maybe Basmati cooked or yek jasmine?????!!!!
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone eating rice raw. Rice is very popular for non gluten products, and some goodies are naturally gluten free (like macaroons :D). Otherwise, some rice products (bread, not all) are just bleh. My mother was celiac and had to make her own bread with rice flour, which, in those days, was ordered and delivered from the pharmacist. She was a pretty good cook (except for liver maybe ;):giggle:) and we always had home made baked goods on hand which she could not eat. We also always thickened our gravy with corn starch instead of flour. I would think a rice and nuts concoction would make a very tasty snack! What about adding a little chocolate? :unsure: