I don’t care what denomination you are! Are you born again?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Thank you 2Timothy. I won’t argue with this person. I should say, I won’t take the bate!
I'm more than happy to defend you. This is what True Christians do . . . we defend. We DO NOT attack. Those who attack, degrade, belittle, berate . . . they are imposters and are NOT a part of the Body of Christ.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
All of His Own are in process of becoming conformed to the image of the Son and can make an error in this process before repenting and returning to the path. Post #22 is too draconian to reflect this.
best wishes

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Jesus never mentioned being born again or born from above again. Disciples never used the term nor their disciples, not even the church for over 1900 years. What a lack of knowledge
“Jesus never mentioned being born again”

“Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
‭‭John‬ ‭3:3‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Disciples never used the term nor their disciples”

being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.”
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭1:23‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“What a lack of knowledge”

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Too bad I’m not here to argue with you :)
just share the truth 😇

“Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God….

That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.”
‭‭John‬ ‭3:3, 5-7‬ ‭KJV‬‬

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.”
‭‭John‬ ‭6:63‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:

being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

For All flesh is as grass, And all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.”
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭1:22-25‬ ‭KJV‬‬

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
“Jesus never mentioned being born again”

“Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

“Disciples never used the term nor their disciples”

being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.”
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭1:23‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“What a lack of knowledge”
It helps to read different translations, huh? lol

I use the Blue Letter Bible online. It's so easy to move between translations to get the real grasp for the meaning of many hard passages. Sometimes the KJV is as clear as a bell, other times it isn't. I have found that using the KJV and NLT has been the greatest thing for me to do. I love all translations except for one; I cannot remember what it is but it is straight from the gutter. I mean, not even close to be being the Bible. Otherwise, they are all wonderful. The Tanakh is beyond remarkable. That's what I've been reading from as I study the Old Testament. I recommend that all people get a Tanakh for their next timeline, chronological reading through the Old Testament. Its beautifully written, and even contains some passages that our "christian" Bibles do not have.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
It helps to read different translations, huh? lol

I use the Blue Letter Bible online. It's so easy to move between translations to get the real grasp for the meaning of many hard passages. Sometimes the KJV is as clear as a bell, other times it isn't. I have found that using the KJV and NLT has been the greatest thing for me to do. I love all translations except for one; I cannot remember what it is but it is straight from the gutter. I mean, not even close to be being the Bible. Otherwise, they are all wonderful. The Tanakh is beyond remarkable. That's what I've been reading from as I study the Old Testament. I recommend that all people get a Tanakh for their next timeline, chronological reading through the Old Testament. Its beautifully written, and even contains some passages that our "christian" Bibles do not have.
Yeah I’ll have to check that one out …..

I’m comfortable with kjv or niv myself it’s all the same to me carries the same message. Each person should read a Bible that they can understand I believe just my own opinion though

I think the important part is accepting and believing what we learn and applying it to life

“Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.””
‭‭John‬ ‭3:3‬ ‭NIV‬‬

“Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God.””
‭‭John‬ ‭3:3‬ ‭NLT

“Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except one be born anew, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
‭‭John‬ ‭3:3‬ ‭ASV‬‬

“Jesus answered, “I assure you, unless someone is born anew, it’s not possible to see God’s kingdom.””
‭‭John‬ ‭3:3‬ ‭CEB‬‬

I don’t really like this next one because it takes away from the flow of what’s being said and confuses me ha ha

“Jesus answered him, “I assure you and most solemnly say to you, unless a person is born again [reborn from above—spiritually transformed, renewed, sanctified], he cannot [ever] see and experience the kingdom of God.””
‭‭John‬ ‭3:3‬ ‭AMP‬‬

But my point is just for me myself

one will find the same message if we read the context of any Bible whether we say “Born anew , born again , reborn ect

the idea is we’re being given a new Hope and new beginning in life washed clean of our past and being made into new people through Christ and the gospel. People just beginning to hear and learn the gospel and being made for eternity rather than living the life we’ve always lived following the flesh and casting away our inheritance like the prodigal son

I look for the concepts of what’s being said but that’s only my own personal view I haven’t read many versions maybe four or five, but have skimmed a few different ones I prefer for me kjv but I don’t frown on people who can’t understand the antiquated English I would suggest the 1981 niv for those folk it used to be my favorite for a time

now I basically stick To my kjv authorized it was printed early in the 1900s and was my grandmothers family Bible it has a bunch of study notes in it also a history of the Jews and just a bunch of great early 20th century faith study tips and notes

but I truly feel Like most hold the same message just using some variance in words. The concept of being born again is actually throughout the New Testament in the doctrine itself I think that’s what the op was originally getting at

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Yeah I’ll have to check that one out …..

I’m comfortable with kjv or niv myself it’s all the same to me carries the same message. Each person should read a Bible that they can understand I believe just my own opinion though

I think the important part is accepting and believing what we learn and applying it to life

“Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.””
‭‭John‬ ‭3:3‬ ‭NIV‬‬

“Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God.””
‭‭John‬ ‭3:3‬ ‭NLT

“Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except one be born anew, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
‭‭John‬ ‭3:3‬ ‭ASV‬‬

“Jesus answered, “I assure you, unless someone is born anew, it’s not possible to see God’s kingdom.””
‭‭John‬ ‭3:3‬ ‭CEB‬‬

I don’t really like this next one because it takes away from the flow of what’s being said and confuses me ha ha

“Jesus answered him, “I assure you and most solemnly say to you, unless a person is born again [reborn from above—spiritually transformed, renewed, sanctified], he cannot [ever] see and experience the kingdom of God.””
‭‭John‬ ‭3:3‬ ‭AMP‬‬

But my point is just for me myself

one will find the same message if we read the context of any Bible whether we say “Born anew , born again , reborn ect

the idea is we’re being given a new Hope and new beginning in life washed clean of our past and being made into new people through Christ and the gospel. People just beginning to hear and learn the gospel and being made for eternity rather than living the life we’ve always lived following the flesh and casting away our inheritance like the prodigal son

I look for the concepts of what’s being said but that’s only my own personal view I haven’t read many versions maybe four or five, but have skimmed a few different ones I prefer for me kjv but I don’t frown on people who can’t understand the antiquated English I would suggest the 1981 niv for those folk it used to be my favorite for a time

now I basically stick To my kjv authorized it was printed early in the 1900s and was my grandmothers family Bible it has a bunch of study notes in it also a history of the Jews and just a bunch of great early 20th century faith study tips and notes

but I truly feel Like most hold the same message just using some variance in words. The concept of being born again is actually throughout the New Testament in the doctrine itself I think that’s what the op was originally getting at
So, combining the point of the OP and our current ideas on translation, check out the below example of how useful translations are (reading the boldface is enough):

[Eze 7:13 KJV] "For the seller shall not return to that which is sold, although they were yet alive: for the vision is touching the whole multitude thereof, which shall not return; neither shall any strengthen himself in the iniquity of his life."
[Eze 7:13 NKJV] "For the seller shall not return to what has been sold, Though he may still be alive; For the vision concerns the whole multitude, And it shall not turn back; No one will strengthen himself Who lives in iniquity."
[Eze 7:13 NLT] "Even if the merchants survive, they will never return to their business. For what God has said applies to everyone--it will not be changed! Not one person whose life is twisted by sin will ever recover."
[Eze 7:13 ESV] "For the seller shall not return to what he has sold, while they live. For the vision concerns all their multitude; it shall not turn back; and because of his iniquity, none can maintain his life."
[Eze 7:13 CSB] "The seller will certainly not return to what was sold as long as he and the buyer remain alive. For the vision concerning her whole crowd will not be revoked, and because of the iniquity of each one, none will preserve his life.
[Eze 7:13 NET] "The customer will no longer pay the seller while both parties are alive, for the vision against their whole crowd will not be revoked. Each person, for his iniquity, will fail to preserve his life."
[Eze 7:13 DBY] "For the seller shall not return to that which is sold, even though he were yet alive amongst the living: for the vision is touching the whole multitude thereof; it shall not be revoked; and none shall through his iniquity assure his life."

This is a copy and paste from an Excel spreadsheet that I use to collect and organize Scripture. I've quoted the above passage many, many times here. It shows that there is no act that we can perform that will "save us." And, that includes water baptism. No one can perform a worldly act that will cause a person to be "born again." If baptism or some sequence of words could do the trick, then the above passage would be wrong and the Effectual Work of Christ would be null, void, and useless.

Anyway, The above seven samples of different translations shows how we can get a good grasp for what a passage is trying to convey by using multiple translations. All translations above are different. In my opinion, multiple translations is a better resource to understanding Scripture than turning to the commentary of humans.

Somewhere, I saw that you wrote to Amenuensis (spelling may be wrong) that you were disappointed that much of his post was straight from commentaries. I couldn't agree more. I'm much more interested if what you folks think than some dude who wrote a book.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Jesus never mentioned being born again or born from above again.
Please go to John chapter 3 and read it very carefully. The New Birth is essential to enter and see the Kingdom of God.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
So, combining the point of the OP and our current ideas on translation, check out the below example of how useful translations are (reading the boldface is enough):

[Eze 7:13 KJV] "For the seller shall not return to that which is sold, although they were yet alive: for the vision is touching the whole multitude thereof, which shall not return; neither shall any strengthen himself in the iniquity of his life."
[Eze 7:13 NKJV] "For the seller shall not return to what has been sold, Though he may still be alive; For the vision concerns the whole multitude, And it shall not turn back; No one will strengthen himself Who lives in iniquity."
[Eze 7:13 NLT] "Even if the merchants survive, they will never return to their business. For what God has said applies to everyone--it will not be changed! Not one person whose life is twisted by sin will ever recover."
[Eze 7:13 ESV] "For the seller shall not return to what he has sold, while they live. For the vision concerns all their multitude; it shall not turn back; and because of his iniquity, none can maintain his life."
[Eze 7:13 CSB] "The seller will certainly not return to what was sold as long as he and the buyer remain alive. For the vision concerning her whole crowd will not be revoked, and because of the iniquity of each one, none will preserve his life.
[Eze 7:13 NET] "The customer will no longer pay the seller while both parties are alive, for the vision against their whole crowd will not be revoked. Each person, for his iniquity, will fail to preserve his life."
[Eze 7:13 DBY] "For the seller shall not return to that which is sold, even though he were yet alive amongst the living: for the vision is touching the whole multitude thereof; it shall not be revoked; and none shall through his iniquity assure his life."

This is a copy and paste from an Excel spreadsheet that I use to collect and organize Scripture. I've quoted the above passage many, many times here. It shows that there is no act that we can perform that will "save us." And, that includes water baptism. No one can perform a worldly act that will cause a person to be "born again." If baptism or some sequence of words could do the trick, then the above passage would be wrong and the Effectual Work of Christ would be null, void, and useless.

Anyway, The above seven samples of different translations shows how we can get a good grasp for what a passage is trying to convey. All translations above are different. In my opinion, multiple translations is a better resource to understanding Scripture than turning to the commentary of humans.

Somewhere, I saw that you wrote to Amenuensis (spelling may be wrong) that you were disappointed that much of his post was straight from commentaries. I couldn't agree more. I'm must more interested if what you folks think than some dude who wrote a book.
amen thanks for sharing . yeah I agree I think people really don’t all Understand the same phrases and wordings , so it makes sense to have different phrases and wordings communicating the same understanding

regarding baptism it’s just something Gid has said for us to do regarding remission of sins it doesn’t “save anyone “ to get baptized , it’s just a simple act of faith and faith is what we’re meant to walk by

when we start getting away from what Christ said to do we’re getting away from faith in my own opinion but again that’s just how I see it

if anyone hears what God said to do and it will save them that’s offering faith formus to act upon. It’s his fatherly grace and forebearance towards us , and the hearing of faith that saves but faith leads to actions.

“Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.”
‭‭James‬ ‭1:21-22‬ ‭KJV‬‬

I look at faith as hearing , believing and then the doing becomes a result of the first two

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
amen thanks for sharing . yeah I agree I think people really don’t all Understand the same phrases and wordings , so it makes sense to have different phrases and wordings communicating the same understanding

regarding baptism it’s just something Gid has said for us to do regarding remission of sins it doesn’t “save anyone “ to get baptized , it’s just a simple act of faith and faith is what we’re meant to walk by

when we start getting away from what Christ said to do we’re getting away from faith in my own opinion but again that’s just how I see it

if anyone hears what God said to do and it will save them that’s offering faith formus to act upon. It’s his fatherly grace and forebearance towards us , and the hearing of faith that saves but faith leads to actions.

“Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.”
‭‭James‬ ‭1:21-22‬ ‭KJV‬‬

I look at faith as hearing , believing and then the doing becomes a result of the first two
I believe that you'll agree with my next statement: Anyone who has Truly been saved by the Effectual Work of Christ will be exactly like the Eunuch when he said to Phillip, "Hey look! There's some water! How about if I get baptized right now?!" And this was immediately after hearing the full Gospel; a Gospel that required the time for Phillip to get up and inside of the chariot and "cruise" down the road with him. No one is born again by hearing the phrase: "The Gospel is the Good News of Jesus Christ!"

Those who have been Known by Christ, or shall I say, Transformed, will desire to do ALL things written and discussed in the New Testament. And this particularly applies to water baptism. Someone whose heart has been Cleansed will be eager, if not proud in a rightful way, to demonstrate his or her proclamation of True and genuine Faith.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I believe that you'll agree with my next statement: Anyone who has Truly been saved by the Effectual Work of Christ will be exactly like the Eunuch when he said to Phillip, "Hey look! There's some water! How about if I get baptized right now?!" And this was immediately after hearing the full Gospel; a Gospel that required the time for Phillip to get up and inside of the chariot and "cruise" down the road with him. No one is born again by hearing the phrase: "The Gospel is the Good News of Jesus Christ!"

Those who have been Known by Christ, or shall I say, Transformed, will desire to do ALL things written and discussed in the New Testament. And this particularly applies to water baptism. Someone whose heart has been Cleansed will be eager, if not proud in a rightful way, to demonstrate his or her proclamation of True and genuine Faith.
yeah definately find agreement there . I think that’s true for some , for others baptism is where it starts in other words if I’m a sinner but I hear about Jesus just a little bit and believe it’s all true and hear this message

“Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭2:38-39‬ ‭KJV‬‬

this message of having my sins remitted becomes itself a saving Grace which also would cause one to gladly accept it and act in faith and gladly go get baptized because it’s witnessing a promise from God to the sinner.

I think there are many roads to Christ many ways and thkngs in life that lead us to him but that he is the only way home to the father and eternal life with the gospel bekng the travelers map

God bless and keep you in peace and joy brother

olivetree32

Jan 4, 2009
The gospel is not complicated people. Nothing complicated about it at all. Jesus spoke in parables and explained them. He spoke of being born again, and explained it. Born of the spirit, new life in Christ .

Jan 14, 2021
The gospel is not complicated people. Nothing complicated about it at all. Jesus spoke in parables and explained them. He spoke of being born again, and explained it. Born of the spirit, new life in Christ .
There are different layers to scripture and I contend that are different layers to the parables. From milk to meat, there is something there for everyone. And for ears and feet, everyone will receive the message as they need it.

We never stop learning, therefore we never have a perfect understanding, just an understanding that we need to have at the time.

It stands to reason that different people will have different ideas about what it means to be "born of the spirit and water." And each of those people may just be speaking from their own understanding as they need it at that time. It's not complicated, but it is at the same time. The love of God is that glue between us all, even in moments of differing understanding.

"Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God." - John 3:5 KJV

C

ChristianTonyB

Jesus said we must be born again to enter the Kingdom of God! He didn’t say, if you go to church on the wrong day you won’t enter the Kingdom of heaven. I don’t have time to worry about if your presbyterian, Baptist etc…. Are you born again? Do you except Christ as your savior? Is your church following the Bible? Obviously there are churches that go off the course and teach false doctrine. I’m not talking about that. I’m talking about giving our hearts to God. Being one with Him. Way to many Christians are judgmental. Start with your own heart and seeking God
....and, do we after our conversion, act like we've been born anew???

What does it mean, 'to act like we've been born anew'? I personally like the Classic Amplified version's translation of Paul's advice to the church in Rome (12:1-2), as to what we ought be doing, what it means to 'give our whole heart to Jesus':
"I appeal to you therefore, brethren, and beg of you in view of [all] the mercies of God, to make a decisive dedication of your bodies [presenting all your members and faculties] as a living sacrifice, holy (devoted, consecrated) and well pleasing to God, which is your reasonable (rational, intelligent) service and spiritual worship.
Do not be conformed to this world (this age), [fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs], but be transformed (changed) by the [entire] renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His sight for you]."

That pretty well describes what true service and worship is too.... not what we've been sold down the line over the years from the religious traditions of men. How anyone, once they've been born again and added by Jesus to His church, would deign to insult Him by adding themselves afterwards to a man made church, is beyond me. It beggars belief!

Here's the NASB 95 versions translation of those scriptures:
"Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect."

Shalom, Tony B

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Jesus never mentioned being born again or born from above again. Disciples never used the term nor their disciples, not even the church for over 1900 years. What a lack of knowledge
Actually, Jesus did mention about being born again.

John 3:6-8
That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

What a lack of knowledge.

P

pottersclay

Olivetree32 i see the fire in you. Praise God.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
yes the doctrines throughout the New Testament witness it, when they talk about our sins being washed away in christs atonement , and us believing the gospel having our mind and heart renewed through faith

Things like this are witnessing being born again even though they don’t use the phrase it’s what they are talking about

“If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: for which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:

in the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them. ( past life )

But now ( new life ) ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. Lie not one to another,

seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; ( past life )

and have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: ( new life )

where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭3:1-11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The epistles doctrines are expounding on the concepts jesus introduced

Jul 11, 2020
Please can you let us understand from what angle you are coming? Could you explain further your position?

olivetree32

Jan 4, 2009
yes the doctrines throughout the New Testament witness it, when they talk about our sins being washed away in christs atonement , and us believing the gospel having our mind and heart renewed through faith

Things like this are witnessing being born again even though they don’t use the phrase it’s what they are talking about

“If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: for which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:

in the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them. ( past life )

But now ( new life ) ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. Lie not one to another,

seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; ( past life )

and have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: ( new life )

where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭3:1-11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The epistles doctrines are expounding on the concepts jesus introduced
Hi. Great scriptures btw. But when I’m talking about not making the gospel complicated, what does that mean to you?
If I walked up to you on the street to share Jesus and what He did on the cross. I’m evangelizing. Would I use all those scripture you just put out? Keep it simple. Jesus died and rose again on the third day. He loves you. Redemption, sin no more. The world is missing love. How do we share the love of God?