I forgot to be baptized

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Get baptized under the authority of a local NT church, not by someone you like in a lake or stream somewhere. The flippant attitude by some about baptism is unbelievable, but then again, no, it isn't unbelievable.
"The authority of a local church" ????? Legalism, much?

Please show me (and the rest of us) ANY kind of scripture that talks about ANY kind of local church authority required in order to be baptized.... I'll show you a scripture that pretty much spells out the "requirement"....

[SUP]34 [/SUP]The eunuch answered Philip and said, “Please tell me, of whom does the prophet say this? Of himself or of someone else?” [SUP]35 [/SUP]Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him. [SUP]36 [/SUP]As they went along the road they came to some water; and the eunuch *said, “Look! Water! What prevents me from being baptized?” [SUP]37 [/SUP][[SUP][m][/SUP]And Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”] [SUP]38 [/SUP]And he ordered the [SUP][n][/SUP]chariot to stop; and they both went down into the water, Philip as well as the eunuch, and he baptized him.
That doesn't sound like they went to a "local church" and used their baptismal font..... pretty "flippant" in your eyes, I'm sure.

This legalistic, gotta-have-rules mentality is borderline satanic, IMO...

Feb 7, 2015
Get baptized under the authority of a local NT church, not by someone you like in a lake or stream somewhere. The flippant attitude by some about baptism is unbelievable, but then again, no, it isn't unbelievable.
With this kind of thinking, you might as well join the Catholic Church.... because you already think you have to have an "authorized" professional to Hocus Pocus you.

Last edited:

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
Baptized as a child by the greek orthodox church, I was told I ran across the table and jumped into the baptismal font. I was 2 years old and said "I want to be baptized"

Weird

Anyway, many seasons later when I was grown up the Mormons bewitched me with their spirit of false love. I was baptized with them, but after many years of biblical study I left them.

So what do I do now, what is the right church to get involved with. Most churches have gone into new age monstrosity. I've been to most churches in my area but they are so dilapidated.
You know savedtoast, I don't want to assume anything here but can you please tell me how do you know that your a Christian? In fact, do you even consider yourself a Christian? Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ? I read your post and your worried about being water baptized which btw does not make one a Christian. In other words, I certaintly do not want you to end up being "burnt toast." :eek:

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Is this local authority like a pope or bishop?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Doesn't the new testament say

"I baptize you with water, but one will come who will baptize you with fire"

So when Jesus said "Go out and baptize, making disciples"

Does he mean by fire or water?
Actually, Jesus never baptized anyone.

DJ2

Apr 15, 2017
Life was not meant to be easy, and the Christian is in constant warfare. However, getting back to your original concerns (a) Mormon baptism would be meaningless since their doctrine is false, (b) you need to be baptized as a believer and by immersion in a local NT church (as already mentioned by someone else).

The real problem to day is that most churches (including Baptist churches) do not teach Bible truth about Christian baptism, but impose their own ideas on something which is simple yet profound.

1. Water baptism is for believers only. Study the book of Acts of the Apostles
2. It is a commandment of the Lord and should therefore be obeyed. See Acts 10
3. It must follow immediately after conversion
4. It does not require classes, catechism, or any indoctrination
5. It is by immersion since that properly represents death, burial, and resurrection with Christ
6. It is not a "rite of passage" for membership in a local church
7. It provides an opportunity for the believer to testify of his faith in Christ, as did the Ethiopian eunuch
8. It is the first step of obedience to Christ, and may be neglected only upon peril to one's Christian walk and growth
9. It does not produce regeneration, and only symbolizes that your sins have been washed away. See the baptism of Paul.

Only the blood of Christ can wash away our sins and our guilt. But baptism for you should mean that you died to the old life, and you will walk in "newness of life" by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Baptism is an appeal to God for a good conscience, this is what saves (1st Peter 3:21). How could this not be the point of personal salvation? What else would you suggest could be the point or event of salvation?

S

savedtoast

You know savedtoast, I don't want to assume anything here but can you please tell me how do you know that your a Christian? In fact, do you even consider yourself a Christian? Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ? I read your post and your worried about being water baptized which btw does not make one a Christian. In other words, I certaintly do not want you to end up being "burnt toast." :eek:

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto
No I'm not worried about it. Personally I trace the origins of God back to "I am" and the Genesis story of Adam and Eve.

Now as for Jesus.

Dec 28, 2016
"The authority of a local church" ?????
Yes, the authority of the local church. How you've gone off insolent over that and construed it as "legalism" is interesting and unwarranted. It's called being Biblical, not "legalism." Obviously you don't appear to know the difference between sound doctrine and legalism.

Legalism, much?
No, sir, but biblical much? Yes.

D

Depleted

One thing that gets rid of the Mormon demon is to drink coffee in their temple, while reading the book of Mormon backwards.
Another one is to tell Mormons that Joseph Smith gave his first book to my great (add 5 more greats there) grandfather, before he went west, and the book was passed down through the generations, (my ancestor like Joe, even though he was a bit weird), until it was no longer safe to keep. (Someone kept trying to steal it.) So, it was given to a library in Connecticut to keep with other rare books in a vault.

BTW, the first book didn't match his later books. His "visions" changed drastically.

D

Depleted

A lot of these churches want me to sign up with their brand of spirituality first, none of this is easy.
And exactly why can't you do some research on churches to see which one you'd like, then go to that one?

Back in the olden days, when we were young, we had to do that without the Internet. So much easier now.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
I told him the 1st Full Preterist choych will baptize him.

It's a bit empty at the time of writing....

:p

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
The only full preterists I've met personally are super liberals.

I told him the 1st Full Preterist choych will baptize him.

It's a bit empty at the time of writing....

:p

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
I'm middle of the road really, being a Brit I lean to the left on some issues and right on others.

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
No I'm not worried about it. Personally I trace the origins of God back to "I am" and the Genesis story of Adam and Eve.

Now as for Jesus.
What's that mean savedtoast, that you trace the orgins of God back to "I am" and the Genesis story of Adam and Eve? Please explain what you mean? Secondly, please explain your comment, "Now as for Jesus?" What does that mean? What about Jesus, do you believe He is God? :eek:

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto

Feb 7, 2015
What's that mean savedtoast, that you trace the orgins of God back to "I am" and the Genesis story of Adam and Eve? Please explain what you mean? Secondly, please explain your comment, "Now as for Jesus?" What does that mean? What about Jesus, do you believe He is God? :eek:

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto
You ask the same kinds of questions I ask.
And we usually just get "crickets" in reply.

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
You ask the same kinds of questions I ask.
And we usually just get "crickets" in reply.
Well I make it a habit to read what people say closely and what I find kind of ironic is when he replied by saying to me, "No, I'm not worried about it" red flags go up. He's worried about his water baptism and dismisses salvation which is what he should be worried about. Go figure? This boys in trouble and that's why I'm pressing him on his answers. :eek:

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto

Dec 12, 2013
Most church's here adhere to certain doctrines that I'd have to accept first, before a baptism can take place.

It's alot of legalism.
Where are you located? How close to Sydney or in NSW?

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Baptism is an appeal to God for a good conscience, this is what saves (1st Peter 3:21). How could this not be the point of personal salvation? What else would you suggest could be the point or event of salvation?
In 1 Peter 3:21, Peter tells us that baptism now saves you, yet when Peter uses this phrase he continues in the same sentence to explain exactly what he means by it.

He said that baptism now saves you-not the removal of dirt from the flesh (that is, not as an outward, physical act which washes dirt from the body--that is not what saves you), "but an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ" (that is, as an inward, spiritual transaction between God and the individual, a transaction that is symbolized by the outward ceremony of water baptism).

*Just as the eight people in the ark were "saved THROUGH water" as they were IN THE ARK. They were not literally saved "by" the water. Hebrews 11:7 is clear on this point (..built an ARK for the SAVING of his household). *NOTE: The context reveals that ONLY the righteous (Noah and his family) were DRY and therefore SAFE. In contrast, ONLY THE WICKED IN NOAH'S DAY CAME IN CONTACT WITH THE WATER AND THEY ALL PERISHED.

Angela_grace

Jan 3, 2016
To me baptism is like a wedding ring. The ring is not what makes you married, yet by it all know that you are married. It's a symbol.