I got no answer in the BDF, so I'm trying here...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I read someone here say to another, "perhaps you are a Christian Empath". I think that most women, by nature, are in tune with the mindsets and emotions of others because that is an attribute inherent to the nurturing component in many women.

But do you think there is actually that gift, that it can be biblically identified?

I have been told that is what I am, and I just wiped it off because it sounded too eastern with the universal spirituality.

But it makes me ponder, hmmm, I wonder..

Any thoughts, biblically?

Could it be a gift of discernment? The Holy Spirit is super natural, after all.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I ended up getting answers on the BDF, how can I get this one deleted?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Give them time. They have to disengage from their current arguments before they can start arguing about Christian empathy. And they have to arm themselves with all the Bible verses they will need to yell at each other.

T

toinena

I think empathy is a form of love, so yes. It is a gift from God.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I read someone here say to another, "perhaps you are a Christian Empath". I think that most women, by nature, are in tune with the mindsets and emotions of others because that is an attribute inherent to the nurturing component in many women.

But do you think there is actually that gift, that it can be biblically identified?

I have been told that is what I am, and I just wiped it off because it sounded too eastern with the universal spirituality.

But it makes me ponder, hmmm, I wonder..

Any thoughts, biblically?

Could it be a gift of discernment? The Holy Spirit is super natural, after all.
I actually had a discussion on this with a friend that same night.
Empath is one of those blurred words. To some empath means 'a person with empathy', while to others it is closer to an emotional psychic. The second use is one commonly found amongst people with New Age leanings, or those lacking biblical wisdom.
So it's not a question easily answered because the meaning depends on the one speaking it.
I rolled my eyes in that thread, not only for the incorrect application of the word in both forms, but it was also used in relation to the 'emotional psychic' manner.
Due to it's ever shifting meaning, and one of those meanings having gateway occult connections, i tend to avoid it. And, you're right, it does have that eastern/new age tone to it. When i first heard the word i thought the same thing, but then the person using it told me it simply meant a person with empathy. I heard both uses and i was confused for a while, but did turn away and follow my first instinct.
New age-ism has become more and more accepted by Christians. Not only because of the accepted false teachings going on for decades now, that teach new age, but cover it with the bible, but also as secular culture moves more in that direction it becomes a more universally accepted idea. Combine that with churches not educating and teaching and we have Christians more influenced by culture than the bible. Hence the notion of 'Christian empaths'.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I actually had a discussion on this with a friend that same night.
Empath is one of those blurred words. To some empath means 'a person with empathy', while to others it is closer to an emotional psychic. The second use is one commonly found amongst people with New Age leanings, or those lacking biblical wisdom.
So it's not a question easily answered because the meaning depends on the one speaking it.
I rolled my eyes in that thread, not only for the incorrect application of the word in both forms, but it was also used in relation to the 'emotional psychic' manner.
Due to it's ever shifting meaning, and one of those meanings having gateway occult connections, i tend to avoid it. And, you're right, it does have that eastern/new age tone to it. When i first heard the word i thought the same thing, but then the person using it told me it simply meant a person with empathy. I heard both uses and i was confused for a while, but did turn away and follow my first instinct.
New age-ism has become more and more accepted by Christians. Not only because of the accepted false teachings going on for decades now, that teach new age, but cover it with the bible, but also as secular culture moves more in that direction it becomes a more universally accepted idea. Combine that with churches not educating and teaching and we have Christians more influenced by culture than the bible. Hence the notion of 'Christian empaths'.
Wow, I appreciate your time given to this thread and to this topic. When we put the word psychic to define it, even an emotional one, I struggle with accepting its premise, for sure. It elevates our position. If it is a gift of the HS or an attribute given to humans in general but given a different name, then I can accept the qualities of said "empath". I think it too broad to know if we are tapping into an emotional connection utilizing the Holy Spirit, or just guessing, if that makes sense. Anyway, thanks for being open to discussion.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Give them time. They have to disengage from their current arguments before they can start arguing about Christian empathy. And they have to arm themselves with all the Bible verses they will need to yell at each other.
You are funny!!!

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I think empathy is a form of love, so yes. It is a gift from God.
I agree 100% that empathy is a form of love, do you think an "empath" loves more or that there is even such an ability that one can specialize and fine tune?

Aug 2, 2009
I actually looked into empaths before because I was concerned that I might be one. Here's what I concluded..

Do I believe in empaths who have a psychic sixth-sense that enables them to literally feel other people's feelings? No.

Do I believe there are people who have a knack for sensing other's feelings (through virtually subconsious observation of that person's mood, behavior, body language, etc.) and their sensitive nature makes it so that they can't help but empathize with them? Yes.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I actually looked into empaths before because I was concerned that I might be one. Here's what I concluded..

Do I believe in empaths who have a psychic sixth-sense that enables them to literally feel other people's feelings? No.

Do I believe there are people who have a knack for sensing other's feelings (through virtually subconsious observation of that person's mood, behavior, body language, etc.) and their sensitive nature makes it so that they can't help but empathize with them? Yes.
Bam, Bamidy Bam Bam Bam!!!

Sep 13, 2018
I agree 100% that empathy is a form of love, do you think an "empath" loves more or that there is even such an ability that one can specialize and fine tune?
I don't think that love or empathy is a teachable thing... I think that it is something inherent in each individual... some people have more of it. Some people not so much...

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
As there are many meanings for "empathy" I will limit my reply to the "empathy" of an emotional psychic.

All Christians seem to have a low-level spiritual radar of sorts. Some refer to it as discerning of spirits, although i think discerning of spirits pertains particularly to demons. I believe it is God's spirit in me, reacting to situations around me. It is not my power to feel these things, but I feel them because God's spirit in me senses them.

All I know is if I'm visiting a church I have never been to before, I can tell just by the "feel" of the church when I walk into it what kind of church it is, whether it's just a social club or if it's a group of holier-than-thou pharisees or if it's a real church where God is. I can also sometimes feel when somebody is helpful or contentious or whatever, with no obvious verbal or visual clues that I can point to as proof.

This is not anything like new-age psychics though. This is not some power to read people's minds on demand. It doesn't even happen with everybody, or even MOST people a Christian meets. It only seems to happen when a Christian needs to know something. It is not a power that is controlled by the person, more of a heads-up that God gives to a person when the person needs the information.

SHORT VERSION: Yes there is a kind of empathy Christians have, but it is God giving you information, not anything near what psychics do.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I will add something though... although it is not something I control, it can be real handy. Back in the day I used to be a moderator in an apostolic chatroom. Sometimes a new person would enter and alarm bells would start going off in my head, for no observable reason. I never said anything because I didn't want to unintentionally cause the reaction I was expecting, but I knew to watch that person. Sure enough, it would be a troll every time.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I will add something though... although it is not something I control, it can be real handy. Back in the day I used to be a moderator in an apostolic chatroom. Sometimes a new person would enter and alarm bells would start going off in my head, for no observable reason. I never said anything because I didn't want to unintentionally cause the reaction I was expecting, but I knew to watch that person. Sure enough, it would be a troll every time.
Was that before they said anything or was it the choice of their screen name? I mean if we believe in the HS and miracles, wouldn't a special sense given from the Holy Spirit? Are we not suppose to walk in the Spirit, and isn't He to be our guide. Am I reaching?

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
As there are many meanings for "empathy" I will limit my reply to the "empathy" of an emotional psychic.

All Christians seem to have a low-level spiritual radar of sorts. Some refer to it as discerning of spirits, although i think discerning of spirits pertains particularly to demons. I believe it is God's spirit in me, reacting to situations around me. It is not my power to feel these things, but I feel them because God's spirit in me senses them.

All I know is if I'm visiting a church I have never been to before, I can tell just by the "feel" of the church when I walk into it what kind of church it is, whether it's just a social club or if it's a group of holier-than-thou pharisees or if it's a real church where God is. I can also sometimes feel when somebody is helpful or contentious or whatever, with no obvious verbal or visual clues that I can point to as proof.

This is not anything like new-age psychics though. This is not some power to read people's minds on demand. It doesn't even happen with everybody, or even MOST people a Christian meets. It only seems to happen when a Christian needs to know something. It is not a power that is controlled by the person, more of a heads-up that God gives to a person when the person needs the information.

SHORT VERSION: Yes there is a kind of empathy Christians have, but it is God giving you information, not anything near what psychics do.
Wish I had read this first. Thank you, well said. I agree.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Was that before they said anything or was it the choice of their screen name? I mean if we believe in the HS and miracles, wouldn't a special sense given from the Holy Spirit? Are we not suppose to walk in the Spirit, and isn't He to be our guide. Am I reaching?
Not a thing, no odd name, nothing the newbie said yet... just the person comes in and my brain goes to yellow alert for no obvious reason.

Sure was handy.

T

theanointedsinner

think of the parable of the talent

1, 2, or 5

oh no, we might be held accountable for the gift of empathy?:eek: