"I Have an Awesome New Thread Idea!!! But I'll Never Post It." Why Not?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hey Everyone,

This is a spin-off of Krumbeard's "Forgotten Thread Ideas." :) Have you ever had a great idea for a thread, but then decided you weren't going to post it? Why not? I'm curious as to what the reasons may be. :)

As for myself, I have an entire plethora of reasons, so for entertainment's sake, here are mine (buckle in, this is going to take a while.) :)

1. I don't post because I just don't have the time or mental energy (probably my number one reason,) and you'll see why in a minute. I think everyone has seen even the most innocuous thread turn into a verbal fist fight, so just in case, I try to hold off posting threads until I have at least a day or even two that I'll be semi-available to devote to it. This doesn't happen often though, so sometimes I just go ahead and send a thread idea off into the wild. :)

I tend to classify my own thread ideas into 3 categories: 1. Serious discussions; 2. Controversial subjects (for the sake of learning, NOT arguing,) and 3. Fun/Casual. My general tendency is towards more serious/controversial subjects, which I find much harder to write.

2. Years ago, I had a college professor for my thesis class who basically told us, "You're a nobody in a sea of experts. No one cares what you have to say. The first thing you have to do is to convince the reader that this subject even deserves to be talked about, and then justify a reason as to why you are talking about it."

I have never forgotten that, and try to fit serious ideas into a 3-part format that hopefully satisfies this challenge: 1. Introduction (why would anyone even be interested in talking about this to begin with?) 2. Relatability (an example from real life as to how people can relate to the subject,) and 3. Opening a door for discussion from as many others as possible.

If I can't find a way apply that formula to an idea (or a way to adapt it to what's available on CC,) I won't post it. For example, years ago, I wrote a thread asking if the Titanic sank today, in what socialorder would people's lives be seen as worth saving? After reading about an American politician who publicly stated that when dealing with covid-19, the elderly should be sacrificed for the sake of the younger generations, I couldn't help but think of this as modern-day "Titanic." I scribbled an outline, and even bounced the idea off a few CC friends.

But back then, the polls were set up so that I could ask multiple questions in one poll, and since I haven't found a suitable way to present it (I want people to be honest, which means they generally have to have an anonymous way to answer,) so I'm holding off the idea for now. (Example: some people will surely say that that singles without children should be sacrificed before anyone who is married or has children, but they might only answer in an anonymous poll and not out in the open.)

My main goal for threads is always discussion, and the serious threads receive far fewer answers these days, so I often have to engage in more time-productive things.

And if you're read this far, here are a few much simpler reasons, for the sake of brevity. :)

3. I don't post threads because like most people, life is getting in the way. :geek: ("The chickens got loose again!" -- except that I I don't own any chickens.) o_O

4. I don't post because I'm being human! I'm tired, "just don't feel like it," or am happily gnoshing down a pizza. :love:

How about the rest of you?

It doesn't have to be anything earth-shattering or completely new -- what are your reasons for deciding not to post threads?

I already know Krumbeard's reason: he is going to say that he forgot. :cool:

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Sometimes I don't post it because I want to find my own answer, so instead I'll think about it for a while. If I find an answer I remember it, and the next time the topic comes up in conversation I will submit what I have found as the answer, if it seems to fit in the conversation.

Sometimes I don't post it because I already know the arguments that will be generated by people looking to nit-pick everything to death to validate their own existence. Since I already know the arguments, I choose not to go through them again.

Sometimes it's a nerd thing that I would love to talk about, but there are not any other nerds here in the forum (not in that specific nerd area the potential thread topic is in) so there's no point starting the thread.

I have never forgotten that, and try to fit serious ideas into a 3-part format that hopefully satisfies this challenge: 1. Introduction (why would anyone even be interested in talking about this to begin with?) 2. Relatability (an example from real life as to how people can relate to the subject,) and 3. Opening a door for discussion from as many others as possible.
We keep getting stuck at #2 though, and making the thread all about the example you used, completely ignoring the real thread topic. :cautious:

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
By the way, +7 points for using innocuous in a sentence. Man, I wish my cow*rkers were sufficiently literate to handle intelligent conversation...

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
By the way, +7 points for using innocuous in a sentence. Man, I wish my cow*rkers were sufficiently literate to handle intelligent conversation...
Oh believe me, it was just a lucky guess.

(Truthfully, I had to look up not only the proper spelling, but also had to double-check that it meant what I intended it to mean, so don't give me too much credit!) :geek:

I still don't understand 7/8 of the 3-syllable words you use in your posts! :ROFL:

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Maybe this will help balance out the zero-star rating you wanted to give my other thread. :ROFL:

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Maybe this will help balance out the zero-star rating you wanted to give my other thread. :ROFL:
That was said in jest, to illustrate your point, and you know it woman! Don't make me break out the thesaurus on you.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
That was said in jest, to illustrate your point, and you know it woman! Don't make me break out the thesaurus on you.
A WHOLE thesaurus???

Good golly.

That's worse than making me choose my own switch. :( :ROFL:

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Sometimes I don't start a thread because it's a topic everybody has all kinds of DIFFERENT opinions on. Kind of like a guy who has a sore on his arm, but he dares not ask his friends for advice because they will tell him it's everything from shingles to cancer. Some discussions I save for people I know will have the right answer, instead of throwing the question out to the crowd and getting all kinds of mutually contradictory answers.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Addendum:

I forgot to add that sometimes I feel God holds me back from writing certain threads, for whatever reason. Maybe I can't find a way to present a topic without it being too polarizing; maybe He's telling me my heart isn't the in the right place when writing it (I have to "write right") :); and sometimes I believe He's leading me to spend my time on other things or to communicate with others in a different way.

On the flip side, I've also had times when I didn't want to make a post but felt like God was pushing me to do so, even if hardly anyone or no one at all answers-- maybe someone needed to know the subject was worth talking about, or maybe God was trying to deal with me as I was writing out my thoughts.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
We keep getting stuck at #2 though, and making the thread all about the example you used, completely ignoring the real thread topic. :cautious:
True dat!!!

If I ever write another thread about building teams of CC members to fight off a Zombie Apocalypse again, someone please remind me that THE single most important thing I have to spell out first is what types of zombies they will be, and that yes, the team members we choose HAVE to actually be real people!

I learned my lesson that day, lol. :LOL:

Krumbeard

Apr 15, 2019
Hey Everyone,

This is a spin-off of Krumbeard's "Forgotten Thread Ideas." :) Have you ever had a great idea for a thread, but then decided you weren't going to post it? Why not? I'm curious as to what the reasons may be. :)

As for myself, I have an entire plethora of reasons, so for entertainment's sake, here are mine (buckle in, this is going to take a while.) :)

1. I don't post because I just don't have the time or mental energy (probably my number one reason,) and you'll see why in a minute. I think everyone has seen even the most innocuous thread turn into a verbal fist fight, so just in case, I try to hold off posting threads until I have at least a day or even two that I'll be semi-available to devote to it. This doesn't happen often though, so sometimes I just go ahead and send a thread idea off into the wild. :)

I tend to classify my own thread ideas into 3 categories: 1. Serious discussions; 2. Controversial subjects (for the sake of learning, NOT arguing,) and 3. Fun/Casual. My general tendency is towards more serious/controversial subjects, which I find much harder to write.

2. Years ago, I had a college professor for my thesis class who basically told us, "You're a nobody in a sea of experts. No one cares what you have to say. The first thing you have to do is to convince the reader that this subject even deserves to be talked about, and then justify a reason as to why you are talking about it."

If I can't find a way apply that formula to an idea (or a way to adapt it to what's available on CC,) I won't post it. For example, years ago, I wrote a thread asking if the Titanic sank today, in what socialorder would people's lives be seen as worth saving? After reading about an American politician who publicly stated that when dealing with covid-19, the elderly should be sacrificed for the sake of the younger generations, I couldn't help but think of this as modern-day "Titanic." I scribbled an outline, and even bounced the idea off a few CC friends.

But back then, the polls were set up so that I could ask multiple questions in one poll, and since I haven't found a suitable way to present it (I want people to be honest, which means they generally have to have an anonymous way to answer,) so I'm holding off the idea for now. (Example: some people will surely say that that singles without children should be sacrificed before anyone who is married or has children, but they might only answer in an anonymous poll and not out in the open.)

My main goal for threads is always discussion, and the serious threads receive far fewer answers these days, so I often have to engage in more time-productive things.

And if you're read this far, here are a few much simpler reasons, for the sake of brevity. :)

3. I don't post threads because like most people, life is getting in the way. :geek: ("The chickens got loose again!" -- except that I I don't own any chickens.) o_O

4. I don't post because I'm being human! I'm tired, "just don't feel like it," or am happily gnoshing down a pizza. :love:

How about the rest of you?

It doesn't have to be anything earth-shattering or completely new -- what are your reasons for deciding not to post threads?

I already know Krumbeard's reason: he is going to say that he forgot. :cool:
Well besides forgetting...
There is work, housework, kids, 80 bazillion school emails, a jungle to contend with(my yard)...basically life.

I won't post a thread looking for serious advice or answers.

I generally won't post a thread about a particular view or interpretation of the bible. (That just turns into a war)

Something I saw early on when I joined this site...people will start a thread asking if they should do this or that. I usually get the impression that they know the answer but don't like it so they are looking for validation for what they want.

I will be more likely to start fun threads or more serious ones. Like the "Dating Profiles" thread that could be either or both.

But my best thread ideas are forgotten! XD

exegete

Dec 23, 2018
My Tiny Apartment
The main reason I’ve never started a thread is simply, as you so astutely observed, I have seen too many “verbal fist fights” break out. Simply put, I have several doctrinal beliefs that don’t fit in with the vast majority of members here…also the reason I mostly stay out of the Bible Discussion Forum! Let’s just say that I try to avoid confrontation.

I was raised in a mainline Pentecostal denomination that I was lead to believe had all the answers to everything (but then, don’t most denominations feel that way?). To make a long story short, despite all the “laying on of hands” and prayer, etc., I had an addiction problem that would not go away. About 13 years ago that addiction came to a head and I lost it all. At that time, I made the conscious decision to throw everything I had ever learned about God away and start fresh without the constraints of a denomination. What a freeing decision!! Over time, I got a Bachelors in Religious Studies from a non-denominational university and (among many things) learned for the first time how to read Scripture without pulling phrases or sentences out of their context to prove a point.

The second reason: Fear. Despite the claim of many that they have a “no judgement zone,” it just doesn’t hold up under scrutiny.

Ok, to be honest, it’s mostly the second reason.

Krumbeard

Apr 15, 2019
The main reason I’ve never started a thread is simply, as you so astutely observed, I have seen too many “verbal fist fights” break out. Simply put, I have several doctrinal beliefs that don’t fit in with the vast majority of members here…also the reason I mostly stay out of the Bible Discussion Forum! Let’s just say that I try to avoid confrontation.

I was raised in a mainline Pentecostal denomination that I was lead to believe had all the answers to everything (but then, don’t most denominations feel that way?). To make a long story short, despite all the “laying on of hands” and prayer, etc., I had an addiction problem that would not go away. About 13 years ago that addiction came to a head and I lost it all. At that time, I made the conscious decision to throw everything I had ever learned about God away and start fresh without the constraints of a denomination. What a freeing decision!! Over time, I got a Bachelors in Religious Studies from a non-denominational university and (among many things) learned for the first time how to read Scripture without pulling phrases or sentences out of their context to prove a point.

The second reason: Fear. Despite the claim of many that they have a “no judgement zone,” it just doesn’t hold up under scrutiny.

Thanks for sharing!

exegete

Dec 23, 2018
My Tiny Apartment
Ok, sometimes I have ideas and I leap before I look...this could be one...

CC Post your thread.jpg

I'm unofficially going to declare Thursday September 17th as "Post Your Thread Thursday."

Take the leap of faith, face your fears, and post what you are feeling or whatever...and...

chips fall.jpg

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Sometimes I don't start a thread because it's a topic everybody has all kinds of DIFFERENT opinions on. Kind of like a guy who has a sore on his arm, but he dares not ask his friends for advice because they will tell him it's everything from shingles to cancer. Some discussions I save for people I know will have the right answer, instead of throwing the question out to the crowd and getting all kinds of mutually contradictory answers.
This is one of the most unique reasons I've heard, Lynx. I thought the point about receiving everything from an under-diagnosis to an over-diagnosis to everything in between was especially interesting.

Something I saw early on when I joined this site...people will start a thread asking if they should do this or that. I usually get the impression that they know the answer but don't like it so they are looking for validation for what they want.
Very insightful answer, Krum, and I think it's actually gotten worse as a whole over time (I suppose it's just part of the evolution of social media.) I've often wondered if I should stop giving examples in my thread introductions because people often assume I'm asking for some sort of solution or opinion on the example, and as Lynx said, miss the entire point of the discussion.

Despite the busy-ness of life, we appreciate that you stop here when you can!!! I always try to read what you write.

Thank you for this refreshingly honest post, Exegete. Praise God for deliverance from your addiction, and I understand about having views that others might not understand.

You truly hit the forum nail right on the head. I think fear is the number one reason people don't start threads, along with not being sure of how to do it. I wish there was an easier, gentler way to break people into trying.

On the other hand, I also think that people who only post in threads and never start them, but yet regularly criticize and try to tell others how to do it should be required to write threads on a regular basis so that they can get a feel for what it's really like. (I'm not saying that the site should or could enforce this of course, I'm just brainstorming.)

I'm all for constructive feedback, but what I don't take too seriously are backseat drivers who never have the biscuits to do their fair share of driving. I mentioned in another thread that I used to suggest that if others had an idea, they could write to me about writing it for them, but I no longer do that. I soon got the feeling that it was more of a "Here, you do all the work, take all the flack, and I'll just hide behind the curtain while taking in the answers,/entertainment," and I'd rather bounce ideas off other people who have spent time in the trenches -- and have gotten hit with a lot of shrapnel because of it.

I'm usually never at a loss for thread topics because I'm always getting ideas from things I read or watch, but presenting them as a discussion has a myriad different considerations. For example, one staple topic here in the forums is porn addiction, resulting in almost always being told to seek a spouse. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this and of course, it's Biblical, but what I always wonder is how things go on the other side of that formula.

For years, I've wanted to post a thread in the Family Forum that said something like, "Marriage Totally Cured Me of My Porn Addiction!!! (And if It Didn't, Why Not?") because it seems that marriage is usually presented as an automatic cure-all and I want to know how it went for the people who got married.

But out of respect for CC and the users here (many of whom are teens,) I've never done it because I don't feel I've mapped out a good PG-13 way of presenting the material (yet.)

God bless your efforts, Exegete, and I hope that if you do have a thread idea, God will give you the guidance and strength for posting it. :) And if not, I know that I've thoroughly enjoyed many of your posts here, so please, keep going. :)

JustEli

Dec 23, 2018
I have no desire to be leader of an alliance, squad, or posse anymore. And to write up a thread, wherein you must
babysit, respond, put out fires, manage etc. etc. boy howdy, thats a buncha dang o dang o 2 deal with hahahaaahha

Furthermore, if I were to write more than two paragraphs, I would have to use proper grammer n stuff, everyone knows
im a bumkin, n kinda shy to boot.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
I either ran out of topics that I thought would lead to profitable discussions or else the topics that I can think of I can't quite figure out how to turn them into discussions instead of lectures ( and I'm not sure anyone wants to read the cinder lecture series which is good because I'm not entirely sure what it would consist of). I also have come to see a lot of topics and discussions as secondary issues and just not of great importance. And I've stopped asking the internet for advice (not that I often did so) because I'm very picky about my advice coming from people I trust to share my perspective and values and understand me as well as whatever issue I'm asking advice about. Of course I give advice very freely, but that's mostly because I want to make sure people are getting good advice :p so I will continue with that self appointed function around here until all my favorite CC peeps tell me I'm giving horrible advice.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Of course I give advice very freely, but that's mostly because I want to make sure people are getting good advice :p so I will continue with that self appointed function around here until all my favorite CC peeps tell me I'm giving horrible advice.
Well... ya haven't yet. If you start, we'll let you know. :sneaky:

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
huh never really had that problem.
when I go on the forum I usually answer other threads and if theres nothign interesting ideas come to me and then I post them. Ideas dont really come to me when Im AWAY from the forum. I guess my mind is always on the task at hand.

I think its just the discipline of writing that I am used to. You face a blank sheet and you type something or you open a book and take your pen and let your ideas flow. Im never that concerned about what others think of ME personally but the idea or scripture that presents itself.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
"Lord it's hard to be humble
When you're perfect in every way..."