I pray that I learn how to properly pray?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Reborn

Nov 16, 2014
The first followers of Christ needed guidance with prayer--and so our Lord gave them a prayer.
Not the doctrine of prayer, but a quotable, portable, repeatable prayer.
Simple and neat, and yet I can't believe how easy it is for me to ramble and pray in vain. I set off to pray at night, and the next thing you know I'm worrying on odd chores, mind wondering nothingness, and the next days activities.

Seriously -I need to pray about this.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I find it helpful to intersperse my petitions with praise and thanksgivings, it helps me stay focused.

Reborn

Nov 16, 2014
I find it helpful to intersperse my petitions with praise and thanksgivings, it helps me stay focused.

I try to have a sort of "conversation" with God. To me, prayer has always been a talk with Him. I start off well, with good intentions, but with a mind that tends to ramble....like this note....then the next thing I know I'm trying to figure out if Contra's code is: up, up ,down,down, left right, left right BA, BA, start?...or up down...idk?.

Maybe that's why He gave us such a simple beautiful prayer, because He knew we would do/think goofy things like this 20 mins into it?
Human flaws.

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
You can't miss if you begin to use scripture as the springboard for your prayers. It will either call you to praise, to receive the promise given, to repent, or to pray for someone else. In every chapter, there are places that just beg you to interact with God in some fashion.

The main purpose of the bible is to establish you in a relationship with God - and I call that prayer.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
Do you perchance have ADHD and are on the creative side? I cant pray long because my silly brain doesnt allow me to remember much, I tried writing down into a notebook so I dont forget but then I forget to use it, lol, so I usually end up just meditating on how God loves us and singing to Him. God was graceful and made me to like music to counter my weakness. It might help you focus too. I finally accepted it, so now Im rather trying to be aware of God's presence and commune with Him all day and pray as led, the set time simply does not work for me. Maybe it does not work for you either.

Reborn

Nov 16, 2014
Do you perchance have ADHD and are on the creative side? I cant pray long because my silly brain doesnt allow me to remember much, I tried writing down into a notebook so I dont forget but then I forget to use it, lol, so I usually end up just meditating on how God loves us and singing to Him. God was graceful and made me to like music to counter my weakness. It might help you focus too. I finally accepted it, so now Im rather trying to be aware of God's presence and commune with Him all day and pray as led, the set time simply does not work for me. Maybe it does not work for you either.

Some might say I'm creative, and (you personally know) my job entails a lot of it, as for AD...A ...sorry lost my train of thought. (sorry, had to do it, and I'm pretty sure you saw that coming?) Not so much really. I'm sure like most people I tend to be a little ADHD-ish when it comes to certain subjects or my repetitive daily routine. I'd say I just have always struggled with the idea that if I needed to do it more often, or in a different way? Like you, I tend to meditate throughout the day about all things God, and not necessarily at a set time each day. Whether I'm listening to music, reading, (surfing CC threads late at night when I can't sleep) --I actually tend to "pray" during all my down time. But I still feel I'm not praying right for some reason?

So sorry, I really don't know where I'm going with this...so maybe I do have ADHD? Bummer.:(

Last edited:

B_Daring

Oct 28, 2013
The perfect example of prayer is found in Matthew 6, specifically verses 5-15, the Lord's Prayer. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+6&version=ESV

I find that it's a good starting point. Then if there is more(and there always is) that I want to pray about, I try to pray simply and honestly and just let it be as organic as I can, keeping in mind that I'm supposed to be talking with God, not at Him. Often I pray for focus while I'm praying, because I'm highly distra- SQUIRREL!

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
So sorry, I really don't know where I'm going with this...so maybe I do have ADHD? Bummer.:(
No, it does not mean you have adhd if you are distracted. :) If you dont have problems with concentration otherwise, then "attaching" prayer to events might work for you. I made a habit not to get up from bed until I at least said hi to God and I tuck up at His feet - sometimes I actually end up praying for a while. I usually pray Father's prayer before meals. I cant be wandering in thoughts when I'm hungry and God's provisions are in front of me, lol.

P

psychomom

But I still feel I'm not praying right for some reason?
i spend a good deal of time in intercession for others, and one thing i've found helpful
is to remember that our Lord Jesus did that nifty thing of sending the Holy Spirit. :)

when i'm not 'praying right', i know He's able to perfect my imperfect petitions.

i also love praying the Psalms. it's positively addictive! :)

( a note on ADHD...we all have it, to some degree...our son with OCD insists on calling it
CDO...alphabetical order...
:rolleyes: )

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
I began drawing my prayers to God, especially when praying for others. It kept me there longer. I just drew the things I was praying for in any abstract form. After all, you are the only one who will see it.

Every once in awhile, I would give the drawing to the person I prayed it for....and they are totally overwhelmed. They keep it as a reminder of what God is doing for them.

My mind wanders during prayers too - so drawing it slowly kept me focused. And, of course, from there I began drawing the scriptures. Made it seem more real.

jude 1 copy.jpg

CatHerder

Mar 20, 2013
From the looks of the responses, yours is not the only mind that wanders during prayer. Count me in that group as well. I find that if I break it down, it goes well, using the Lord's Prayer as a model:

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name - focus on who God is: the Great I Am, Jehovah Jireh (the Provider), Jehova Rapha (the Lord that heals), Jehovah Tsidkenu (the Lord Our Righteousness), etc.

Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven
- I use this to springboard into intercessory prayer.

Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who have trespassed against us - I often forget to pray for myself, so I do this here. I acknowledge God as the sole source of all I need, let go of grudges, etc....

Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil - I ask God to guard my heart, my thoughts. Some may go into Ephesians here and "put on the armor of God."

For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory forever and ever. Amen

jogoldie

Mar 20, 2014
I have not met a christian yet who doesnt have this happen......not saying there are those of us who dont focus well...
but .....I find if I shorten my prayers.....I pick a topic......and think of what I truly think about it....
then I take it one prayer at a time....focusing only on one thing....short sweet...
But i call those business prayers......then there are the visiting prayers......when
I go to the beach.....or when im home ....I just coverse
talking aimlessly about random things......both are good prayers.....as my goal in life is to have a personal
relationship with Him....laughing about things that happen ...that years ago I thought was tragedy...now I
see as amusing.....remembering lessons He has taught me....reassuring Him I do get it.....fun prayers......
I pray so many differnt ways....but I always keep them pleniful....but short.........peace ...jo

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Wizeman sez...""The tireder you are the less horizontal your praying position should be"
...thank you, thank you :D

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
all that is really required is to pray with a sincere and contrite heart, humbling yourself before God........He wants to hear ALL our needs, wants, sufferings, hopes, fears.........whatever..........He really wants us to open our hearts to Him..........

If we do this, there is no wrong way to pray..........if the mind begins to wander.........put forth the effort to focus your eyes/heart upon Him and continue to pray............but, sooner or later, you gotta wrap it up with a "timely" Amen! :)

Truthfully, we can never pray too much...............if our prayers are sincere and not just repetitious dribble like some did back in the day.............

jb

Feb 27, 2010
The first followers of Christ needed guidance with prayer--and so our Lord gave them a prayer.
Not the doctrine of prayer, but a quotable, portable, repeatable prayer.
Simple and neat, and yet I can't believe how easy it is for me to ramble and pray in vain. I set off to pray at night, and the next thing you know I'm worrying on odd chores, mind wondering nothingness, and the next days activities.

Seriously -I need to pray about this.
You should find This helpful...

Yahweh Shalom

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
I find it easier to pray when I get on my face, I dunno why but that's just me.

A

Anonimous

To quote Nike "Just do it". You can not learn to pray from a book. Prayer is simply talking to God

P

Peter96

Hey man. It's ok to not know how to pray. Take that to God. Just tell Him that you don't know how to pray, or something like that. God is a real person, with real feelings and real emotions just like you and I. He wants you to be completely honest with Him. Just take everything to Him, and I do mean everything. He knows it all already anyway. He understands your struggles perfectly, down to the finest detail.