IBS diet suggestions

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ArtsieSteph

Senior Member
Apr 1, 2014
6,194
1,315
113
35
Arizona
So I have IBS due to a lot of anxiety and hypertension. And obviously because I am overweight. It has gotten worse over time, so I'm trying to shift my diet around. Anyone have any suggestions or tips for this?

The obvious things to stay away from I hear are coffee, chocolate, and (oddly) nuts. I imagine it also means things with a lot of mlik/lactose as well.
 
From my knowledge grains are bad for ibs, among other things. I dont usually post in the forums but I find myself doing it anyway forgive me for any bad writing skills lol. But here is a very useful link ARTSIE STEPH!

Foods to Avoid with IBS
 
My youngest has digestive issues, when she's not feeling well, i'll usually suggest yogurt and walking seems to help with cramps and..... well she gets gas. eating smaller amount but more frequently. stay away from died and fried.
 
Keep a daily diary of what you eat and see how it affects you. My mom has IBS and lactose intolerance and she did this years ago.

She also eats her dinner at noon and something like jello, frozen yogurt (depends on the milk content), or a popsicle in the evening. Her digestion is so slow she cannot eat a bigger meal later in the day.
 
So I have IBS due to a lot of anxiety and hypertension. And obviously because I am overweight. It has gotten worse over time, so I'm trying to shift my diet around. Anyone have any suggestions or tips for this?

The obvious things to stay away from I hear are coffee, chocolate, and (oddly) nuts. I imagine it also means things with a lot of mlik/lactose as well.
Fiber. Lots and lots of fiber. It doesn't matter if you have IBS-C or IBS-D, fiber is key. (It will also cause IBS-G. lol) Half of what you eat should be as fibrous as you can take.

Oh, and if it is IBS-C, do NOT take calcium supplements. Calcium causes constipation... which is why we have to watch our how much dairy we consume. (Not really a problem with me since I'm lactose intolerant.)

But you're treating this like it's a different issue from your hypertension or your weight. It's all the same thing. You're supposed to be eating better to lower your weight, which will lower you blood pressure, which will lower the IBS. Fiber is a weight loss secret too. It fills you up better. Just make sure you don't keep going for the high calorie fiber. lol
 
What worked for me is taking prophylactic probiotics. I buy the pharmaceutical grade ones, from a drug store, because the health food ones never worked for me. I take two different types, one in the morning and one in the evening. They are a bit pricey, but worth it to have my digestion more or less working.

I would give you the names of the ones I take, but they would probably be different in the US. Ask your doctor what kind he/she recommends. Especially if you have ever taken antibiotics, which is what ruined me in the first place.
 
Keep a daily diary of what you eat and see how it affects you. My mom has IBS and lactose intolerance and she did this years ago.

She also eats her dinner at noon and something like jello, frozen yogurt (depends on the milk content), or a popsicle in the evening. Her digestion is so slow she cannot eat a bigger meal later in the day.

Yeah my mom said a daily diet log is a good idea.
 
Echoing atwhatcost here: Fiber is good. Take into account what your symptoms are, however. Soluble fiber is bad if you suffer diarrheeeeaaaa, but good otherwise. Insoluble fiber is bad if you aren't regular enough, but is good otherwise.

Also: Ginger is good for digestion, and hot water with lemon is also very good for your digestion. Take some hot, organic ginger tea, and add a touch of lemon, and BOOM! That stuff is great for you.

And as always, fruits and vegetables (most) are good, especially those high in dietary fiber. You can almost never go wrong in any circumstance when it comes to leafy green vegetables.
 
Definitely take probiotics, the highest strain possible. My best friend suffers from ibs. Her dietician told her to try them. So she took one and proceeded to eat the very foods that upset her stomach and not one problem!!! We are talking like 3 hrs later, not one problem!!!! I was absolutely amazed!!!
 
those chemical food dyes are sooooooooo TOXIC...
please everyone, ALWAYS READ the LABELS and avoid.......