If you’re planning to go on a date with someone special, who should pay for it?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Who should pay for the date?

• The woman should pay.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mikhal

Nov 15, 2019
I didnt bring any spare change and had actually lost my eftpos card so he offered to pay. But im wondering what he would have done if I hadnt that excuse.

He later asked me out to dinner and movie but I didnt fancy paying for my own meal so I politely demurred on that one. Im not sure which movie or place to have dinner he had in mind, but if it was mcdonalds and a horror movie I dont think I would have been keen.
Oops, i failed to reply directly, theres a BIIG winter storm blowing in that has my attention, Gotta go chop wood and cover a part of my Roof that im replacing 😬

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I would bring me😇.... and Jesus👌
I would hope he sees the Light shining from me without him having to purposely assess anything about me...
And I would feel ingenuine if I were trying to demonstrate any strengths or traits that he would find attractive... I guess I would hope that he saw honesty, genuineness and kindness... sincerity... Christ's character in me...
Hope it helps🙂
This isn't intended as a personal attack, just a thought-provoking question...

Would you think it legitimate/appropriate/acceptable if he just "showed up and brought Jesus", but didn't think it was "genuine" to try to demonstrate any strengths or traits (such as being a provider) that you would find attractive?

I suspect not, which would mean you have a double standard, expecting far more from a man than what you offer to him. :unsure:

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
This isn't intended as a personal attack, just a thought-provoking question...

Would you think it legitimate/appropriate/acceptable if he just "showed up and brought Jesus", but didn't think it was "genuine" to try to demonstrate any strengths or traits (such as being a provider) that you would find attractive?

I suspect not, which would mean you have a double standard, expecting far more from a man than what you offer to him. :unsure:
I definitely would think it legitimate/ appropriate/acceptable yes, absolutely... because I desire a man who already has the character of Christ established in him and if he has not yielded to the Lord's will in his life, and doesn't already have that maturity then if he tried to demonstrate any traits I would be concerned that he was having to try rather than just be himself. I would want to know the real him- whether he is caring enough and selfless enough toward me just because that's how he is. If he is just doing it for the date or for the short term to try to impress me then it won't necessarily last....
I don't expect more from a man than I am willing to offer-I expect his ALL because THAT is what I am willing to give, my all. I expect him to lay down his whole life for me, as I would be handing my whole life over to him in complete devotion.
Q. What is the price for a wife?
A. Your life 😉
So pettiness (as I see it) about who will pay only demonstrates to me that he is more concerned about husband money than me... or maybe there is another issue.... but ultimately it is off-putting and un-loving and sending the wrong signals. As a Christian I am not in the mindset of trying to be equal with a man like a feminist would, I would compliment the man and be in my element helping him, but I deem it unfeminine to try and be the same as him lol, that's just how I am. And I think that is how God made me to be.

C

CozHElivesIcanface2morrow

I didnt bring any spare change and had actually lost my eftpos card so he offered to pay. But im wondering what he would have done if I hadnt that excuse.

He later asked me out to dinner and movie but I didnt fancy paying for my own meal so I politely demurred on that one. Im not sure which movie or place to have dinner he had in mind, but if it was mcdonalds and a horror movie I dont think I would have been keen.

I don't like horror movies too 😮

But I am just wondering...what's wrong if your date will bring you to eat at McDonald's 🤔 I thought McDonald's have the best Oreo mcflurry ice cream which is my favorite 😍

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
I don't like horror movies too 😮

But I am just wondering...what's wrong if your date will bring you to eat at McDonald's 🤔 I thought McDonald's have the best Oreo mcflurry ice cream which is my favorite 😍
Depends on the circumstances of the Mcdonald's visit, if you had a full all day event and are on your way home and need a quick bite Mcdonalds is acceptable. If your date is going out for a meal and his idea of a good sit down restaurant is McDonald's that says a lot either about how tight his money is or how little he knows of the possibilities of the world around him. For a meal that's a feature part of the date, it really should be someplace with a server that comes to your table to take your order and bring you your food.

Now there's a good spin on the topic: Would your rather your date take you to Mcdonald's (or other fast food) and pay for it all or go dutch at Denny's (or another budget end sit down place)?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Denny's is a compromise. It's the worst of both worlds. Cook-to-order speed (slow) with fast food quality (low.) :p

Can we make it at least Cracker Barrel or Shoney's? That's not the ceiling of course... there's lot of places better than that... but can we at least establish that as the lower boundary of sit-down restaurant expectations?

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Denny's is a compromise. It's the worst of both worlds. Cook-to-order speed (slow) with fast food quality (low.) :p

Can we make it at least Cracker Barrel or Shoney's? That's not the ceiling of course... there's lot of places better than that... but can we at least establish that as the lower boundary of sit-down restaurant expectations?
Cracker Barrel is the place I take my books for a date in front of a real fireplace. But yeah I'm happy with cracker barrel over denny's any day (and it's much closer).

Nov 25, 2019
Denny's is reserved for only the best women that you really want to impress.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Cracker Barrel is the place I take my books for a date in front of a real fireplace. But yeah I'm happy with cracker barrel over denny's any day (and it's much closer).
Plus their apple pie is not half bad.

Their banana pudding is made with instant pudding though. But I can overlook that... I'll just get apple pie instead.

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
Depends on the circumstances of the Mcdonald's visit, if you had a full all day event and are on your way home and need a quick bite Mcdonalds is acceptable. If your date is going out for a meal and his idea of a good sit down restaurant is McDonald's that says a lot either about how tight his money is or how little he knows of the possibilities of the world around him. For a meal that's a feature part of the date, it really should be someplace with a server that comes to your table to take your order and bring you your food.

Now there's a good spin on the topic: Would your rather your date take you to Mcdonald's (or other fast food) and pay for it all or go dutch at Denny's (or another budget end sit down place)?
McDonalds, better food then Dennys.

Princesse

Feb 16, 2020
I have never paid for a date or engaged with a man who expected me to do so. Covering our expenses was their domain and one they eagerly embraced.