"I'll Drink to That" Liquid Courage and Comedy

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 30, 2013
682
11
0
"That's why I don't drink wine. I drink beer!" He declared as he wiped suds off his mustache. His bar buddies laughed and cheered, "I'll drink to that!!" That's how serious they took the medical warning not to drink wine and take Tylenol (I was part of they).

"Winos ain't scared of nothing but runnin outta of wine," proclaimed the profane philosopher Richard Prior. The bar scene suggest that fearlessness applies to beer drinkers, too. It probably applies to all drinkers. Alcohol isn't called liquid courage for nothing. And since it causes drinkers to laugh everything off, perhaps another nickname should be liquid comedy.


Pickled Liver and Dendricide


If you're already pickling ur liver and loving it, I know I can't scare you with statistics. You'll find a loophole or just laugh them away. You'll keep running from reality until it slaps you with a BIG, UGLY stick called consequence.
However, if you haven't engaged in full-fledged dendricide (genocide of the brain cells), then pay attention rather than pay the consequences. Learn from the mistakes of others instead of enrolling in the school of experience. The tuition is high, and you may not live to graduate.


Birdbrain

What's more insulting than being called a birdbrain? How about insulting your own intelligence by walking into a trap that any bird would avoid? The wise man observed, "If a bird sees a trap being set, it knows to stay away." Proverbs 1:17
The cerebral prowess of pigeons seems amazing after watching flocks of people invite each other into the trap of America's most abused drug. The trap is very simple: (1). Man takes a drink. (2). The drink takes a drink. (3). The drink takes the man.


Kissing Your Killer


The Center of Disease Control and Prevention list excessive alcohol consumption as the third-leading cause of preventable death in the U.S.
From 2001 to 2005 an average of 79,000 people died annually from alcohol-related deaths. That's almost five times the number of murders in the U.S. during the same period.
We get alarmed when we see news reports of home invasions and drive-by shootings. We take serious measures to protect ourselves from violent crime: alarm systems, guns, watch-dogs, etc. Yet we go to the liquor store to hire a known killer and make him the center of attention at our parties. What sense does it make to bolt your door to keep a possible killer outside when you escort a proven killer inside and kiss him on the lips?



Liquor and Laughter


Your friends may laugh and tell you to "man up" or some other button pushing phase to pressure you into drinking. The women will use their feminine wiles to mess with your mind too. But they won't be laughing when his car is impounded and he awaits arraignment for DUI and manslaughter? Will the girl who didn't think you were cool enough for her be laughing after she trades her inhibitions for STD's (sexually transmitted diseases)?



The Joke That Tickled God


Will your sister be laughing i the abortion clinic as she tries to piece together memories of what happened after her first sip? Will you laugh when your wages are garnished for child support to take care of kids that avoid you for fear of your volcanic, alcohol-induced rage? Hilarious, right?
"You have ignored all my advice and have not been willing to let me correct you. So when you get into trouble, I will laugh at you. I will make fun of you when terror strikes" Proverbs 1:25


Drink Yourself to Death


One weakness of the typical anti-drug and alcohol presentations is assuming that the user wants to live.
Unfortunately, I know that's not always true. Some people drink because they know it's a slow suicide.
Entertainers, such as the late Tupac Shakur, get rich glamorizing such hopelessness:

"I'm suicidal, so don't stand near me
My every move is a calculated step,
To bring me closer to embrace an early
death."




....or Drink Yourself to Life



Tupac Shakur's thug life and early death was tragic, not heroic. What noble cause was championed? Keep it real and die young? His mother, Afeni Shakur, has a more fruitful philosophy, "Remember to keep yourself alive, there is nothing more important than that."
The good news is that you can drink yourself to life by drinking in the good news that God has for you in His Word: "To the one who is thirsty I will give water free of charge from the spring of the water of life. The one who conquers will inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be my son" Revelation 21: 6,7.
 
I am glad that I gave up alcohol in 1992. I have witnessed a lot of tragedy that was caused by alcohol.