I'm curious.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 20, 2018
How do I appreciate what Christ has done, when I don't appreciate life?

MichaelOwen

Nov 6, 2017
How can you truly appreciate what Christ has done when you don't appreciate the life HE has given you? Do you know Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior?

Feb 20, 2018
Yes. As Peter put it, "to whom shall we go? You alone have the words of eternal life." 2 years ago the Lord stopped me from suicide.

Feb 20, 2018
Um, not sure. I never bothered to ask anyone. I suppose it's a possibility.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Why don't you appreciate life? Do you suffer from depression?
Um, not sure. I never bothered to ask anyone. I suppose it's a possibility.
Speaking as one who has suffered from depression I believe that a good first step to recovery is learning how to tolerate life. To thrive and appreciate life you have to survive first and by the grace of God you will do this and eventually thrive as well. Glad to have you join us. Welcome to CC.

Feb 20, 2018
It is written, faith worketh by love; Christ said, love your neighbour as you love yourself. If I have no love for myself, how can I love my neighbour, let alone have faith? How can I grow in love or faith towards Jesus? Especially, when each day is less than tolerable. I mean, realistically one day I'll be with the Lord, which will always be my blessed hope but, it just seems like if I can only tolerate the day, I will be serving the Lord out of obligation, and suddenly I'm an Israelite trying to fulfill the law. Plus, can you imagine the spite I develope in my mind against the only one who knows me? How can I continue to blasphemy the Lord by my complete disrespect to the price He paid, through my lack of appreciation?

The only solution I can muster up, is, the Lord needs to provide reasons to have joy in the Lord (as this is supposed to be my strength); which I cringe at the thought --was His death simply not enough for me? How can a puny human ever think this way?? Isn't this the most disrespectful thing possible? (Please forgive my ramblings)

N

NewChapter

Maybe if you try grasping the treasure you have been given in Him. Me personally, I am really looking forward to eternity with Him, in His glorious presence. That gives me joy, a longing, and a desire to serve Him in this life, also knowing that I will be rewarded for my efforts when He returns. Live for Him, obey His teachings, - live for others, that gives much joy.

I am wanting to hear Him say this when He returns

Matthew 25:23
His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018
That makes sense. But if I serve the Lord out of the desire for a reward, how is that loving Jesus with my heart? I'm sure I can force myself to say long prayers for people, but what good is that? How do I love someone without loving myself? How do I love Jesus without loving myself first? How do I lay up treasures for myself in heaven if my heart doesn't seem to care at all? I can give 100 dollars to a homeless man but would my heart be right if I don't love that homeless man?

JCSS

Feb 19, 2018
JESUS came to give LIFE, and more abundantly! How can we be effective for HIM when our own fires within are cold? It's called allowing the HOLY SPIRIT to live and abode within...without HIM with us, it is futile and useless to think that we are His Soldiers. What denomination church do you attend? Seems to me that when we attend a congregation that does NOT build up our faith nor edify the presence of the Holy Spirit, we waste our time. Do you hunger for His nearness? How much do you want from Him, who gives you life?

Feb 20, 2018
I haven't attended church. And I suppose I desperately hunger to have a hunger for Him. I cannot say I hunger for Him, because only He knows my hearts intent.

How much do I want from Him? I don't know. I don't really know. I just want to have a heart of gratitude towards Him, that's all I desire; if I was to measure how much gratitude I want, I'd say, "lots". Whatever my heart is able to bare... as it is written, He is worthy to be praised. I just want to be worthy to praise.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
That makes sense. But if I serve the Lord out of the desire for a reward, how is that loving Jesus with my heart? I'm sure I can force myself to say long prayers for people, but what good is that? How do I love someone without loving myself? How do I love Jesus without loving myself first? How do I lay up treasures for myself in heaven if my heart doesn't seem to care at all? I can give 100 dollars to a homeless man but would my heart be right if I don't love that homeless man?
Jesus endured the cross for the joy set before Him. Everything God does is for His Own glory.

Feb 20, 2018
Jesus endured the cross for the joy set before Him. Everything God does is for His Own glory.
Okay, but that's not a fair comparison, I don't think. "But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." - 1 Corinthians 2:9

So the same problem remains for me... How should I have joy in my future paradise? If you have joy for the things set before you, it's because you have faith! Because eye has not seen, right? But faith worketh by love ! So you have joy in the Lord, because you have faith in the Lord, because you love the Lord. I lack proper love for the Lord, so I lack proper faith in the Lord, so I lack joy in the Lord -- which means I lack strength (the joy of the Lord is our strength), and when I lack strength...

James says "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."

When I have little faith, love, and joy, what kind of prayers do I pray? Are they full of thanksgiving? No. They are full of bitter whining, and disrespectful breaths. And we know 5hat anything that is NOT OF FAITH... is sin. Therefore, as I walk in sin, how can I walk in Spirit?

THANK GOD FOR JESUS CHRIST. THANK GOD FOR GRACE.

"But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:"

I suppose the only answer to this problem is to sit, and wait. Am I the author of my faith?