Im new here. I need some help regarding 1 Corinth 11:14

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 4, 2024
Ok...so im an 18 year old male. I converted to Christ two years ago so am still quite new to all this. So I don't know much in terms of general theological knowledge. With that being said, I need some help.

Ive always had super short hair, but my Girlfriend said I should grow it out, so I have been. It's currently at my shoulderblades, and I was going to go to mid back. I must admit my GF was right, I look the best I ever have. But then I read 1 Corinth 11:14. Where Paul says it's against God for a man to have long hair??? I know it's a sin for a man to look feminine, but I certainly don't. And long hair has nothing to do with that. So I'm confused.

Ive done research and I've found that nobody really knows. Some scholars say that it's fine and others say it's sinful. I don't have a pastor I can ask as I don't go to church yet (my parents are atheists) so I'm kinda stuck and just need help. Please. Someone!

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
1 Corinthians, Chapter 11:

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

It does not say it is "against God" does it?

As well, Paul was giving his opinion and not a Commandment from God. This particular Scripture reveals one of Paul's misspeaks. And, Scripture is justified as Truth because it is included.

Nature does not teach that long hair shames a male. Consider the mighty Lion! The great mane the male wears, as opposed to the short mane of the females.

Paul wrote in two distinct styles:

1) Thus sayeth the Lord. When writing in this style, Paul was teaching Commandments from God. There was to be no debate or arguing, it was "Thus sayeth the Lord!"

2) I would rather that/it would be better that. When writing in this style, Paul was giving his opinion/advice on how believers could live a Christ like life with the littlest of problems.

When reading Paul's Epistles it is necessary to distinguish which style he is writing/speaking in so as to know what is a Commandment from God, and what is not. Far, far, too many people can not, and this has caused, and continue to cause flawed understanding of and teaching of Scripture. IMO, much damage has occurred and continues to occur because people are not able to distinguish these differences.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Ok...so im an 18 year old male. I converted to Christ two years ago so am still quite new to all this. So I don't know much in terms of general theological knowledge. With that being said, I need some help.

Ive always had super short hair, but my Girlfriend said I should grow it out, so I have been. It's currently at my shoulderblades, and I was going to go to mid back. I must admit my GF was right, I look the best I ever have. But then I read 1 Corinth 11:14. Where Paul says it's against God for a man to have long hair??? I know it's a sin for a man to look feminine, but I certainly don't. And long hair has nothing to do with that. So I'm confused.

Ive done research and I've found that nobody really knows. Some scholars say that it's fine and others say it's sinful. I don't have a pastor I can ask as I don't go to church yet (my parents are atheists) so I'm kinda stuck and just need help. Please. Someone!
Hi and welcome!

I'm very glad to hear you've become a believer. As far as the issue of long hair, I personally believe 1 Corinthians 11 teaches that a woman's long hair is a symbol of her submission to her husband; and a man's short hair is a symbol of his submission to Christ. However, I wouldn't put put the cart before the horse. The Lord will reveal His will to you as you follow Him and grow spiritually.

My question to you would be, as a new believer, have you been water baptized (immersed) into Christ? Jesus taught by example that we should be baptized; and He commanded that it should be taught and practiced. If you haven't already, I pray you'll make this your next order of business.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

I believe that Jesus had long hair too. I believe that Paul was offering his own personal opinion on grooming. No need to be confused. Glad to have you onboard with us. Welcome to CC.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
1 Corinthians, Chapter 11:

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

It does not say it is "against God" does it?

As well, Paul was giving his opinion and not a Commandment from God. This particular Scripture reveals one of Paul's misspeaks. And, Scripture is justified as Truth because it is included.

Nature does not teach that long hair shames a male. Consider the mighty Lion! The great mane the male wears, as opposed to the short mane of the females.

Paul wrote in two distinct styles:

1) Thus sayeth the Lord. When writing in this style, Paul was teaching Commandments from God. There was to be no debate or arguing, it was "Thus sayeth the Lord!"

2) I would rather that/it would be better that. When writing in this style, Paul was giving his opinion/advice on how believers could live a Christ like life with the littlest of problems.

When reading Paul's Epistles it is necessary to distinguish which style he is writing/speaking in so as to know what is a Commandment from God, and what is not. Far, far, too many people can not, and this has caused, and continue to cause flawed understanding of and teaching of Scripture. IMO, much damage has occurred and continues to occur because people are not able to distinguish these differences.
Care should be taken when reading and contemplating the writing of Paul.

In many instances it is clear that he is offering his own opinions based on his own personal perception. There are not many passages where it actually says "Thus says the Lord". That is not to say that his views are not aligned with God's but with the absence of "Thus says the Lord" there might be a lot of wiggle room to base one's own personal opinion as led by the spiritual understanding given to the individual by God.

I believe that a lot of his writing was based on the traditions and culture in place at that particular time and the group that it was addressed to.

Your explanation was much more eloquent than mine.

Oct 5, 2024
[1Co 11:13-16 NASB20] 13 Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a woman to pray to God [with her head] uncovered? 14 Does even nature itself not teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him, 15 but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her? For her hair is given to her as a covering. 16 But if anyone is inclined to be contentious, we have no such practice, nor have the churches of God.
Paul is expressing HIS opinion & that of the Jewish faith & not that God is requiring it. Beyond this you must also see that the "SOCIETAL" standards today differ from when he wrote. At the time Paul wrote, the Jewish Rabbis had created 613 additional laws not REQUIRED

Oct 24, 2012
Wow, in the Old Testament, Samson had long hair and strength was in and through him from it. The heathen were sore afraid and it was Delilah that wrecked it for him, reporting to the people in unbelief how Samson had his strength
Amazing story to read, about what happened after he was caught by the Philistines, I think that was the tribe that got him under Bondage and blinded him. Made a slave there in the Temple made there by the Philistines, there then in that time.
Amazing to me to see he grew back that hair and strength came back and he tore down the Temple.
God is our strength, mine at least, I believe God loves us all, proven in risen Son, for the grave as seen by many Jesus is risen and reported in the New Testament to us the people, over 500 witnesses
It is reported as well to not shave ourselves as the heathen do that to get people to be pleased by them. Therefore it, is intent, purpose, motive, is in place, the reason one does what one does is what will be judged. God judges the motives
So, if you good within your soul, go ahead and be with long hair or not, Thank you, I have long hair also, and some judge me by it, and I thank God all in all for being able to choose to have long hair or not and not be conformed to society to be liked by others for any of my own self gain ever.
1 Corinthians 15:2
and it is this Good News that saves you if you still firmly believe it, unless of course you never really believed it in the first place.
Colossians 1:23
the only condition is that you fully believe the Truth, standing in it steadfast and firm, strong in the Lord, convinced of the Good News that Jesus died for you, and never shifting from trusting him to save you. This is the wonderful news that came to each of you and is now spreading all over the world. And I, Paul, have the joy of telling it to others.

love all, as are loved from God Father in risen son for you too, thank you

Sincere love to God in God's salvation through Son done once for us all to stand in for me at least

Hebrews 10:10
Under this new plan we have been forgiven and made clean by Christ’s dying for us once and for all.

Oct 5, 2024
[1Co 11:13-16 NASB20] 13 Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a woman to pray to God [with her head] uncovered? 14 Does even nature itself not teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him, 15 but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her? For her hair is given to her as a covering. 16 But if anyone is inclined to be contentious, we have no such practice, nor have the churches of God.
Paul is expressing HIS opinion & that of the Jewish faith & not that God is requiring it. Beyond this you must also see that the "SOCIETAL" standards today differ from when he wrote. At the time Paul wrote, the Jewish Rabbis had created 613 additional laws not REQUIRED by God & His 10 Commandments. Y'shua (Jesus) "FULFILLED ALL" of the Tanach (Old Testament) requirements other than to "... Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind." (Mt 22:37)
This "Fulfillment" negates the "Requirement" & leaves the individual to be led by the spirit of God instead.

If your choice however, is an affront to those around you, to whom you may desire to witness, then you must consider, is your "Wanting" to have your hair long going to prevent you from being of optimal service to God & His Kingdom; is it going to impact your ability to be an effective witness?
Rom 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

I took too long to edit the above post so I simply re-wrote it completely & properly here.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
1Cor 11:14-15 . . Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a
man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, but that if a woman has long hair,
it is her glory?

"the very nature of things" can't be trusted to reflect the laws of God
because the nature of things in 1st century Corinth was very different than
the nature of things across the ocean in the Americas.

In other words: the nature of things pertains to humanistic attitudes in
matters relative to propriety-- in particular one's own culture. For example:
in the Roman world of Paul's day; long hair on a man was nothing to be
proud of, whereas in the world of North America's indigenous people, long
hair on men is strong and virile.

* If you've perchance made your hair a fashion statement by styling it with
patterns particular to women, then I'd have to say you have a problem
that's much worse than hair length. All I'm saying is: to be on the safe side;
be sure you keep your hair looking like a guy's long hair rather than a woman's
long hair.
_

John146

Jan 13, 2016
I believe that Jesus had long hair too. I believe that Paul was offering his own personal opinion on grooming. No need to be confused. Glad to have you onboard with us. Welcome to CC.
Paul is writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. These aren’t the opinions of men.

John146

Jan 13, 2016

Scripture is clear. Nature is clear. It is a shame for a man to have long hair. And yes, the look is effeminate. Not calling you effeminate, but long hair on a man is effeminate. However, it is not a doctrinal issue that should divide believers. We have enough feminism amongst our male population today. Men should look like men, and women should look like women. There is a clear difference.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
Generally speaking, neither side of the aisle is 110% confident that their
take on 1Cor 11:14 is the correct take.

That being the case, then I suggest following the principles instructed by the
14th of Romans because this is so obviously a gray area; and as such folks
unified with Christ are forbidden to debate it; and they are also forbidden to
judge others whose take on it is different.

In a nutshell: If a man feels guilty with long hair, then for that man long hair
is wrong. But if a man does not feel guilty with long hair, then for that man
long hair is okay. Let each man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
_

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Paul is writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. These aren’t the opinions of men.
Paul was certainly inspired by the Holy Spirit as with all writers of scripture. Paul himself said, on more than one instance that 'he does not permit' something or another. That is not the same as God does not permit. It is, in fact, an opinion or point of view. In other words, a perception. The bible mentions something about discernment. Spiritual discernment comes from the Holy Spirit too. Wisdom also. Both of these must be used to ascertain how to apply or disregard what has been read into one's life.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Paul was certainly inspired by the Holy Spirit as with all writers of scripture. Paul himself said, on more than one instance that 'he does not permit' something or another. That is not the same as God does not permit. It is, in fact, an opinion or point of view. In other words, a perception. The bible mentions something about discernment. Spiritual discernment comes from the Holy Spirit too. Wisdom also. Both of these must be used to ascertain how to apply or disregard what has been read into one's life.
Paul makes the statement which is not his opinion:

Answer is rhetorical: yes

Feb 17, 2023

Always look at the whole context (verses, chapter, book, Bible) of a verse. Paul uses the principle of the relationships among the Father, Jesus, males, and females (11:3) to apply it to his culture (short or long hair, for example). So, we need to take the same principle and apply it differently to our culture.

As a result, in our culture, it appears to me that people have come to accept all different hair styles on men. Therefore, the principle of those relationships doesn't apply to hairstyles now. It does in marriage and the church, though, as Paul himself applied it.

Oct 24, 2012
Paul makes the statement which is not his opinion:

Answer is rhetorical: yes
Yes I get that
I think does not even nature (People) teach you it is a shame to have long hair. Structure, world structure as they went against Jesus, who was not a Levite. Was from another tribe, Hebrews 7:11-12