I'm worried I may have blasphemed the Holy Spirit with my thoughts

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Matt1974

Aug 16, 2019
I am a Roman Catholic and the other day, I was on my way to work and daydreaming about things when I suddenly thought about Christ's resurrection and a thought came into my head saying "This is the work of the Holy Spirit" which was obviously good. However, a few seconds later, I had the thought of "This is the work of the devil". It was one of those thoughts that randomly came into my head and I in no way believe it, but it made me feel uncomfortable. For the rest of the morning, I tried to rationalize why it came into my head but in the end all I ended up doing was reciting in my head 3 or 4 times the phase "This is the work of the devil" in a vain attempt to understand why it had come into my head in the first place. Whilst I in no way believe that it's the work of the devil, I feel worried that it might nonetheless be considered to be blasphemous against the holy spirit and therefore causing me to commit the unpardonable sin. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any feedback would be appreciated because I am worried. Thanks

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Short answer is no.

Stop and realise what you're thoughts are suggesting. They are suggesting that a mere thought is trumping Jesus' work and His love for you.
Does that seem even remotely possible?

Do you really think our good God, who is infinite in love, will disregard the work of His son, look at that mere thought and banish you from His presence?

You really think our Father is like that?

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
No person commits the unpardonable sin by having a thought pass through their mind that did not [even] originate from their own premeditated will.

I would suggest that the only thing you should be concerned with [instead] is to make sure that you properly understand the Gospel and know-with-certainty what it means to be 'born-again' - having believed in God and having placed your trust in the Lord Jesus Christ according to the scriptures - having 'repented' from the world to follow after the Truth.

If you have [truly] done this (or, once you have), then - I dare say you will not have any reason to worry about it at all...

Otherwise - consider the words of Philippians 4:8 and turn your thoughts to other more-deserving things to think about.

Leastamongmany

Jun 2, 2019
Usa
Matt we are to put on the WHOLE armour of God,the helmet of salvation protects our minds and thoughts! The enemy comes to us in our being.You said you were day dreaming. You mind was relaxed and wondering off. It doesn't mean that is YOUR thought,don't dwell on it.PRAY ask forgiveness and move on. The Holy Spirit is our comfort and guide let Him do His work in you!

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
However, a few seconds later, I had the thought of "This is the work of the devil". It was one of those thoughts that randomly came into my head and I in no way believe it, but it made me feel uncomfortable.
This is a fiery dart from the enemy. A spoiler of your good thoughts.
Always remember the enemy the adversary to the gospel and Christ Jesus prowls the earth looking to cause doubt.
Be prayerful and rebuke Satan in the name of Jesus who has defeated this fallen angel (and his army).
"Get thee behind me Satan in the name of Jesus" has power against this spirit enemy.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
I am a Roman Catholic and the other day, I was on my way to work and daydreaming about things when I suddenly thought about Christ's resurrection and a thought came into my head saying "This is the work of the Holy Spirit" which was obviously good. However, a few seconds later, I had the thought of "This is the work of the devil". It was one of those thoughts that randomly came into my head and I in no way believe it, but it made me feel uncomfortable. For the rest of the morning, I tried to rationalize why it came into my head but in the end all I ended up doing was reciting in my head 3 or 4 times the phase "This is the work of the devil" in a vain attempt to understand why it had come into my head in the first place. Whilst I in no way believe that it's the work of the devil, I feel worried that it might nonetheless be considered to be blasphemous against the holy spirit and therefore causing me to commit the unpardonable sin. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any feedback would be appreciated because I am worried. Thanks
You are just too worried about it. Thoughts are thoughts. You can't help what randomly comes in your mind. I have had crazy thoughts come to mind before. Crazy thoughts they happen but those thoughts do not define you. Like you said, you did not believe the thought. What you described is a classic example of OCD, the religious kind also know as Scrupulosity. I think I may have some OCD myself because I have trouble with rereading compulsions often times and there are other things I do that are behaviors characteristic of OCD.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
No person commits the unpardonable sin by having a thought pass through their mind that did not [even] originate from their own premeditated will.

I would suggest that the only thing you should be concerned with [instead] is to make sure that you properly understand the Gospel and know-with-certainty what it means to be 'born-again' - having believed in God and having placed your trust in the Lord Jesus Christ according to the scriptures - having 'repented' from the world to follow after the Truth.

If you have [truly] done this (or, once you have), then - I dare say you will not have any reason to worry about it at all...

Otherwise - consider the words of Philippians 4:8 and turn your thoughts to other more-deserving things to think about.
I agree with reading the Scriptures and having an understanding of the gospel. That can be very encouraging. Also just learning of God's character can be very encouraging, such as learning of his love and faithfulness to his word.

Apr 15, 2017
You did not blaspheme against the Spirit for in order to do that you have to do it on purpose wanting it, not a thought that comes up in your mind.

When the Pharisees blasphemed against the Spirit they did it on purpose by saying Jesus had an unclean spirit.

If you say you think you might have blasphemed it means you did not.

Would you say I think I stole but did not do it, and the fact that you think you might have means you did not.

Also if you are worried about thinking something wrong thoughts may pop up.

Also do you have stress for stress can make thoughts intense in your mind, and can cause you to be a little negative which means thoughts can pop up, and some people kept worrying until they were in a frazzle and kind of negative because they would not let their worrying go.

Also don't try to understand it for it will only make it worse, and then you will be worried of thinking something wrong, and then thoughts will pop up because of your worrying.

You cannot understand it, and it can cause stress, but I know we want to know why.

They say people with OCD have stress, so you do not want to have OCD concerning bad thoughts coming up because you could not let it go.

What I think is people are so worried about thinking something wrong that thoughts pop up on the negative side.

We should not want sin, but if we are so worried about it thoughts may pop up.

The thought is only the negative of a positive thought you had, which is no big deal for you do not want it, but do not worry about it.

If someone does not want to steal so much they might have thoughts about stealing for they are so worried about it.

I learned not to worry about it, for I know I do not want bad thoughts, but I keep my mind on good, and I do good that bad thoughts do not come up.

I keep my mind moving around on different subjects so that it stays fresh and relaxed, and stress can happen because of over thinking, or worrying, and you do not want to make the situation worse.

The Bible says we will be tempted so don't worry about the thought, but stress can make it worse for the thought is more intense and sticks in our mind more to where we might not forget it for a while.

Some people did not nip it in the bud but kept on worrying causing stress, trying to understand it which caused more stress, until they were frazzled mentally, and then what was a minor thing, and nothing wrong, they made it in to a big deal, and now all sorts of things are bothering them once they get stressed out a lot.

Aug 3, 2019
We have no control over our ,or dreams, what we do with them is what matters and where a sin could come in. For instance we get a thought about hurting someone, and then follow through and do it. You were having lovely Godly thoughts when that thought happened. Satan does plant the seed for sin sometimes through our thoughts or dreams, among many other ways. Maybe that line really was the doing of the devil, trying to distract you from praising God with your thoughts. You did not act on it, in fact is was disturbing to you, which I am sure pleased the Lord. God loves us, He knows what is in our hearts, and He wants good for us. He would not condemn you for a negative thought that disturbed you. Rest assured in God's love.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Take every thought captive. Just be aware that it occurred. I've had some incredibly vile things go through my mind with spiritual contexts but I refuse to ruminate on them. Rebuke and move on. You can also sing in your mind...or play some worship music in your mind. Or sing out loud :)

When it becomes an onslaught I would recommend getting prayed for. If you are in turmoil...by all means pray about it and dig into the word. Reading the word out loud drowns out thoughts for me. Tis pretty neat. Quiet reading is actually harder in times of serious turmoil because sometimes thoughts can be much more jarring.

Blasphemy is an on purpose thing. It's quite serious and based off everything I have personally experienced I wouldn't say you did. It wasn't a declaration spoken aloud or anything. Just a thought that ballooned into existence (from your perspective).

That is NOT to say that thoughts don't matter or dreams don't matter or anything little thing.

I would also point out...that what we put into our minds produce a lot of junk thoughts, like tv/films. Fortunately for me I can usually pinpoint when this occurs to an extent, that is something that we have control over...what goes in. Bear in mind though that even cutting a lot of spiritual "junk food" just minimizes...Much like going on a diet, you are still susceptible to bodily injury and aging. It does help though and keeps your defenses higher.

The first thing to always consider is whether or not it lines up with the word.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Yeah that's not committing the unpardonable sin.

In the bible, when blasphemy was being referred to in Matthew 12:32 ..

Notice.. who is Jesus talking to?

What were they doing ?

Because I think you will find Jesus was talking to unsaved Pharisees and they were attributing Jesus' work to the devil.

Basically rejecting salvation from Jesus on the first place.

This isn't something believers can do, seeing the did believe in the first place.

John 3:16 and Romans 10 show what eternal salvation is.

This is what is being rejected

Matt1974

Aug 16, 2019
Thank you all for your loving and kindness. It's helped a lot. I may still have doubts but hopefully with kind people like you they will slowly start to dissipate and the love of the Lord and Holy Spirit will shine through. God bless you all

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Yeah that's not committing the unpardonable sin.

In the bible, when blasphemy was being referred to in Matthew 12:32 ..

Notice.. who is Jesus talking to?

What were they doing ?

Because I think you will find Jesus was talking to unsaved Pharisees and they were attributing Jesus' work to the devil.

Basically rejecting salvation from Jesus on the first place.

This isn't something believers can do, seeing the did believe in the first place.

John 3:16 and Romans 10 show what eternal salvation is.

This is what is being rejected

This si a wonderful understanding you have shared. I have waited for this explanation, though I haave read dthe passages many times, I had not thought of this. Thank you. I believe and always have believe the Word since the Spirit entered into my heart. I have waited for this Holy Spirit inspired understanding for many years, yup, I am not the brightest candle inthe candlestick...God bless you.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Keep reading bible brother, you Will see the real Jesus.

Bible is the most trusted source, church doctrine may wrong and corrupted

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Just a little adding to what others have said.

The same thing happened to me when I was young in the faith. It’s the enemy trying to bring a spirit of fear to you. When we are in fear, we then try to control whatever the problem is but what the Lord has written through Paul is we renew our minds with the Word of truth. This is how we battle.

I just say now, satan, you are a liar and the father of lies. He runs at the Word. (His Presence)

Ruby123

Mar 1, 2019
When God reveals to you something such as the resurrection of Christ being the work of the Holy Spirit, the devil tries to steal this revelation and truth from you by messing with your mind with fear, doubt, confusion or anything that may cause you to doubt this revelation. Just ignore him and he will flee.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
No person commits the unpardonable sin by having a thought pass through their mind that did not [even] originate from their own premeditated will.I would suggest that the only thing you should be concerned with [instead] is to make sure that you properly understand the Gospel and know-with-certainty what it means to be 'born-again' - having believed in God and having placed your trust in the Lord Jesus Christ according to the scriptures - having 'repented' from the world to follow after the Truth. If you have [truly] done this (or, once you have), then - I dare say you will not have any reason to worry about it at all...

:) Philippians 4:8

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Thank you all for your loving and kindness. It's helped a lot. I may still have doubts but hopefully with kind people like you they will slowly start to dissipate and the love of the Lord and Holy Spirit will shine through. God bless you all
Well what you are experiencing is to be expected given the soteriology to which you have been subjected. If you are trusting in the Catholic teachings of salvation you can never be secure in your eternal salvation. The Catholic church will never teach you to trust only in Christ for your salvation.

Scripture teaches that we are forgiven all our sins. This means all our sins past, present and future sins.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Matt1974

Aug 16, 2019
Just an expansion on my original worry. The bit where I recited in my mind "The resurrection was the work of the devil" was premeditated not automatic. I didn't believe it but I kept on reciting it to try and make sense of the original thought when it came into my head. Does that mean I blasphemed the Holy Spirit at the point where I was reciting it?