In what ways does the Holy Spirit act in you?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Jesus was clear- "I only do what I see the Father do", and " I only say what I hear the Father say".
He DIDN'T say " I only do what I read in a book, I only say what I read in a book"
From the very beginning in Genesis 1 we know we were intended to be in relationship, In Revelation 22 we see this relationship reestablished for all, for eternity.
In the meantime the believer is indwelt to do as Jesus did and say what Jesus said, by His inspiration.
best wishes

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
He DIDN'T say " I only do what I read in a book, I only say what I read in a book"
I hate to do this to ya, but check out the Scriptures below. All things are completed according to the Book of the Lord, His Heavenly Scrolls.

Isaiah 34:15-17 NKJV - "There the arrow snake shall make her nest and lay eggs And hatch, and gather them under her shadow; There also shall the hawks be gathered, Every one with her mate. 16 "Search from the book of the LORD, and read: Not one of these shall fail; Not one shall lack her mate. For My mouth has commanded it, and His Spirit has gathered them. 17 He has cast the lot for them, And His hand has divided it among them with a measuring line. They shall possess it forever; From generation to generation they shall dwell in it."

What is written in these Scrolls will be fulfilled . . . and no meager human with their "freewill" can do anything about it. :D

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
What I was bringing forth was Jesus teaching of receiving His direction from vital personal relationship, same as for us today, not merely reading and attempting to act on it.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
What I was bringing forth was Jesus teaching of receiving His direction from vital personal relationship, same as for us today, not merely reading and attempting to act on it.
Yes. But . . . Christ followed what was in the Book of the Lord . . . Jesus, the Author of those Scrolls, Obeyed them perfectly.

Philippians 2:8 KJV - "And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross."

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
That was then, we are pretty much at Ephesians onward now, and nothing from that point conflicts, God is the same, yesterday, today and forever, Jesus taught plainly that in Him, ALL things became new. All means All.
The saints then longed for these times.

Mar 17, 2021
No, what you're saying I'm saying is NOT what I'm saying.....lol! :giggle:

Jesus Christ is The Word of God.....when He spoke, He would often say, "he who has an ear let him hear what the Spirit is saying...."

We hear The Word of God with our natural ears but, understanding of The Word of God comes from hearing what the Holy Spirit is saying.

The Word and The Holy Spirit agree, always. :love:(y)

You and I may not agree but, we choose to still walk in love towards each other. I do enjoy discussions with you and know that you love God very much! You are a joy! :love:(y)
I get you. I enjoy our exchanges because if we always agreed with one another the forum would be boring. I have thought more deeply and learned more from those who have disagreed with me and have jousted with me in these threads.

If someone just reacts with a red cross or a frown face to a post, what use is that? What is use someone saying they disagree when they don't say why? They say they disagree but don't contribute to the discussion. I don't even bother to see what they disagree with, because there is no point. I would rather they write their disagreement to contribute to the discussion and keep the thread alive. There points where we will never agree on, and that is the interest and fun of being involved in a forum.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
I get you. I enjoy our exchanges because if we always agreed with one another the forum would be boring. I have thought more deeply and learned more from those who have disagreed with me and have jousted with me in these threads.

If someone just reacts with a red cross or a frown face to a post, what use is that? What is use someone saying they disagree when they don't say why? They say they disagree but don't contribute to the discussion. I don't even bother to see what they disagree with, because there is no point. I would rather they write their disagreement to contribute to the discussion and keep the thread alive. There points where we will never agree on, and that is the interest and fun of being involved in a forum.
Outstanding attitude.

Mar 17, 2021
Here is something I have just read in a commentary by a major Reformed Bible commentator.
"There are two types of believer: (1) the believer who needs experiences and emotions and if they don't get them their walk with God comes to a halt until they have their next sensory experience. This is because their faith is not strong enough to just trust the written Word of God in order to continue walking in the Spirit. (2) Those who have total faith in the written Scriptures and continue walking in the Spirit regardless of how they feel or any sensory experiences they may have. They may be afflicted, depressed, confused, and feel that Christ has deserted them; but they continue on in faith, trusting the written promises, not allowing their negative experience to hinder their walk with God in the Spirit.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
But . . . there is only one True type of Believer:

Romans 2:28-29 KJV - "For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither [is that] circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he [is] a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God."

It is impossible to be a Believer of Christ unless the Heart has been Spiritually Circumcised. This is the Core Doctrine of the entire Bible . . . based upon Old Testament Promises, fulfilled by Christ in Colossians 2:9-15.

Mar 17, 2021

Romans 2:28-29 KJV - "For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither [is that] circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he [is] a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God."

It is impossible to be a Believer of Christ unless the Heart has been Spiritually Circumcised. This is the Core Doctrine of the entire Bible . . . based upon Old Testament Promises, fulfilled by Christ in Colossians 2:9-15.
So, which is the true believer then?
The one who has their faith in emotions, sensory experiences, dreams and visions; or the other who bases their faith on the written Scriptures?

2 Corinthians 5:7 gives a clue: "For we live by believing and not by seeing."

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021

So, which is the true believer then?
The one who has their faith in emotions, sensory experiences, dreams and visions; or the other who bases their faith on the written Scriptures?

2 Corinthians 5:7 gives a clue: "For we live by believing and not by seeing."
I don't believe that Lafftur places her faith in "emotions," as if Emotions were her God, nor do I. To put faith into an emotion would seem to be a wild form of idolatry.

When the Lord presses and imprints Himself upon us . . . there is no escaping . . . there is no forgetting . . . there is no falling astray. When a person feels that Holy Imprinting, so to speak, this experience can cause a person to wake up to the very Faith that they have falsely claimed, perhaps for the entirety of their life. That was me alright. I really believed that I understood what the New Testament was about. I mean, I REALLY believed that I understood it, as though it were utterly simple to read . . . but after my Indwelling, the Lord used that Powerful experience to cause me to Seek, Knock, and Ask like never before. That Powerful Experience caused me to Seek God in a way that was impossible to stop. When a person feels the Power of God, it is instantly obvious that playing games is over . . . "I now realize that I breathe each breath because the Lord allows it."

Please, if you would, I would like to humbly ask that perhaps refrain . . . just a little . . . and try not to discourage people in their walk. What if you are wrong in your assessments? And what if you find yourself standing before the Lord? What will you say. I can assure you that standing in the presence of the Lord will leave you not only speechless but defenseless. There is no contending with God . . . I mean, it is impossible. We need to be tender with each other . . . we must become more and more gentle in our approach, and this of course includes me.

Let's keep improving who we are. :)

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Here is something I have just read in a commentary by a major Reformed Bible commentator.
"There are two types of believer: (1) the believer who needs experiences and emotions and if they don't get them their walk with God comes to a halt until they have their next sensory experience. This is because their faith is not strong enough to just trust the written Word of God in order to continue walking in the Spirit. (2) Those who have total faith in the written Scriptures and continue walking in the Spirit regardless of how they feel or any sensory experiences they may have. They may be afflicted, depressed, confused, and feel that Christ has deserted them; but they continue on in faith, trusting the written promises, not allowing their negative experience to hinder their walk with God in the Spirit.

Sounds about right to me. But a cautionary note.. both are believers. It's just no 1 are infants.

Mar 17, 2021
I don't believe that Lafftur places her faith in "emotions," as if Emotions were her God, nor do I. To put faith into an emotion would seem to be a wild form of idolatry.

When the Lord presses and imprints Himself upon us . . . there is no escaping . . . there is no forgetting . . . there is no falling astray. When a person feels that Holy Imprinting, so to speak, this experience can cause a person to wake up to the very Faith that they have falsely claimed, perhaps for the entirety of their life. That was me alright. I really believed that I understood what the New Testament was about. I mean, I REALLY believed that I understood it, as though it were utterly simple to read . . . but after my Indwelling, the Lord used that Powerful experience to cause me to Seek, Knock, and Ask like never before. That Powerful Experience caused me to Seek God in a way that was impossible to stop. When a person feels the Power of God, it is instantly obvious that playing games is over . . . "I now realize that I breathe each breath because the Lord allows it."

Please, if you would, I would like to humbly ask that perhaps refrain . . . just a little . . . and try not to discourage people in their walk. What if you are wrong in your assessments? And what if you find yourself standing before the Lord? What will you say. I can assure you that standing in the presence of the Lord will leave you not only speechless but defenseless. There is no contending with God . . . I mean, it is impossible. We need to be tender with each other . . . we must become more and more gentle in our approach, and this of course includes me.

Let's keep improving who we are. :)
I'm sorry that maintaining that we walk by faith in God's Word rather than by sensory perception and experiences (ie: sight), causes you concern.

For me, God's written word is sufficient for this life, and I am content to wait until I get to glory before I am able to see the Lord in person and have more perfect knowledge of Him.

Mar 17, 2021
Sounds about right to me. But a cautionary note.. both are believers. It's just no 1 are infants.
It is the grace of God that He supports those who are weak in faith by giving them visions and sensory experiences to support them until they grow to the point where they can put their faith in the written promises alone.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
I'm sorry that maintaining that we walk by faith in God's Word rather than by sensory perception and experiences (ie: sight), causes you concern.

For me, God's written word is sufficient for this life, and I am content to wait until I get to glory before I am able to see the Lord in person and have more perfect knowledge of Him.
Perplexing.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
It is the grace of God that He supports those who are weak in faith by giving them visions and sensory experiences to support them until they grow to the point where they can put their faith in the written promises alone.
Paul . . . you don't know what you're talking about. You really need to take a step backward. Just because a person has knowledge that you do not have, this does not default them to the status of being wrong.

What concerns me is your employment of a dogmatic mindset. That . . . concerns me. But, I am concerned for you (and to further my concern, I am positive that you won't appreciate this Holy Concern. You haven't shown this form of Holy Gratitude (yet).

Mar 17, 2021
I heard the story of a believer who had a visitation of an appearance of Jesus, and he rejected it saying, "I don't want to see that. I would rather wait until I get to glory and see Jesus face to face. Until then I just want to walk in faith and not by sight."

Mar 17, 2021
Paul . . . you don't know what you're talking about. You really need to take a step backward. Just because a person has knowledge that you do not have, this does not default them to the status of being wrong.

What concerns me is your employment of a dogmatic mindset. That . . . concerns me. But, I am concerned for you (and to further my concern, I am positive that you won't appreciate this Holy Concern. You haven't shown this form of Holy Gratitude (yet).
I just went by what the Holy Spirit told me in response to my question about dreams and visions. He told me I didn't need dreams and visions because I had the reality of Christ in me through the indwelling Holy Spirit and I had the written Scriptures that contains everything God has said to us. That was good enough for me, and has been since 1969 when the Holy Spirit told me that. I have lived by faith in the Written Scriptures ever since and have witnessed many remarkable things as a result, in terms of guidance, provision, and people being healed when I have prayed for me.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Until then I just want to walk in faith and not by sight."
That's exactly what I am doing. Christ didn't give me the ability to put faith in an experience . . . Christ gave me Faith in Christ. I Trust Jesus . . . not an experience or an emotion, but Jesus.