Increased violence in entertainment

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Alertandawake

Aug 20, 2017
Has anyone noticed with tv shows and movies nowadays there seems to be more and more increased violence just for the sake of entertainment without any proper context?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Everything else has already been done. Now we gotta find other stuff to do. And quickly! The public is demanding more and better entertainment NOW!

That's basically what it boils down to.

D

Depleted

Has anyone noticed with tv shows and movies nowadays there seems to be more and more increased violence just for the sake of entertainment without any proper context?
Well, since we tend to watch crime scene/cop shows most often, can't really see there is an uptick in the violence. The violence is assumed. (No one has ever had to investigate a picnic, unless someone died during the picnic, kind of thing.)

What drives me up the wall is, if we would believe Hollywood's take on life, we'd have to believe:
1. A third of the people in the US are homosexuals.
2. Homosexuals always are the loving, kind, moral people.
3. Sex is supposed to be the third date.
4. The only good religious people are Catholics or priest, and it's 50/50 if you can trust the priest.
5. No child should be stuck with a mother and a father.
6. Wisdom comes with youth, and disintegrates all together, until you're 80. Once you hit 80 you're a wonderful person, even if a big curmudgeonly.
7. Oxycodone is the Devil's Pill.
8. The devil is the good guy.
9. If you're a Christian you're as dumb as a piece of lint. (Unless you are Catholic or a priest, and, again, 50/50 on the priest.)
10. Everyone and everything is a beauty to behold, unless you are a Christian.

D

Depleted

Everything else has already been done. Now we gotta find other stuff to do. And quickly! The public is demanding more and better entertainment NOW!

That's basically what it boils down to.
Proof you missed the 70s entirely. lol

The 70s, with movies like Taxi Driver, The Godfather, The Exorcist, Jaws, Chinatown, Pretty Baby, Urban Cowboy, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacres, A Clockwork Orange, Alien, The French Connection, The Deer Hunter, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Apocalypse Now, Billy Jack, (I could keep going, sadly.)

There was a time when most movies were rated R, and violence and degregation seemed to be the two main ingredients.

T

Tinuviel

....Yup....

Alertandawake

Aug 20, 2017
What I have picked up over the years it is the magnitude. True there has always been violence in movies, even in books we read. But this modern day and age, it just seems blown out of proportion, no context, and so on. And this is also happening in a lot of modern day comics as well. It is like it is a drug, need more and more in increasing quantities to get a thrill.

With movies like The Godfather, I have seen it. Come to think of it, I think I have seen Taxi Driver as well.

But it just feels like in this day and age, this modern generation, the magnitude seems to be more and more increasing.

T

Tinuviel

I was also saddened by one movie review I saw that said similar things about language. They said the movie was only objectionable because of it's PG-13 language, and in their opinion the only reason they put the language in was because people wouldn't take the film seriously with a PG rating :(.

D

Depleted

What I have picked up over the years it is the magnitude. True there has always been violence in movies, even in books we read. But this modern day and age, it just seems blown out of proportion, no context, and so on. And this is also happening in a lot of modern day comics as well. It is like it is a drug, need more and more in increasing quantities to get a thrill.

With movies like The Godfather, I have seen it. Come to think of it, I think I have seen Taxi Driver as well.

But it just feels like in this day and age, this modern generation, the magnitude seems to be more and more increasing.
This may also be a country by country thing. The only TV series I've seen from Down Under was The Man from Snowy River. The series has definitely modernized since the movie, but not so much violent as predictable. We had a similar series long ago, called Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman.

D

Depleted

I was also saddened by one movie review I saw that said similar things about language. They said the movie was only objectionable because of it's PG-13 language, and in their opinion the only reason they put the language in was because people wouldn't take the film seriously with a PG rating :(.
The same excuse they used in the 70s, but modernized again. Back then, a movie had to be at least an R, or supposedly no one would watch it. And, because it was R-rated, they just had to have horrible language, at least bare butts, but preferably breast too, and degradation. Serious degradation. It wasn't enough to have torture scenes with bamboo under the fingernails. We had to have Deer Hunter. Not enough to show the seamy side of the sex trade, we had to have Midnight Cowboy. And the cream of the crop? The one "so good" I was supposed to watch it during film class in college? A Clockwork Orange! (hackhack, cough cough. Guess who got too sick to sit through those classes? Honestly, it was X-rated and got in at 16 to see it, but it was dramatizing. We walked out half way through. And, thank you, Lord, for curfew. lol I don't have it in me to see it now.)

And then, Disney started doing live action movies. (Black Hole.) And suddenly PG was good.

PG 1980s movies:
16 Candles.
Breakfast Club.
ET
Karate Kid.
The Princess Bride
Goonies.
Indiana Jones.

Guess what. Naked butts and a litany of degradation isn't required to have people go see a movie.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Proof you missed the 70s entirely. lol

The 70s, with movies like Taxi Driver, The Godfather, The Exorcist, Jaws, Chinatown, Pretty Baby, Urban Cowboy, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacres, A Clockwork Orange, Alien, The French Connection, The Deer Hunter, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Apocalypse Now, Billy Jack, (I could keep going, sadly.)

There was a time when most movies were rated R, and violence and degregation seemed to be the two main ingredients.
Yeah every decade had a few. But the violence level in the field as a whole has escalated lately. The viewers are jaded so the producers turn up the volume, so the viewers get jaded faster so the producers turn up the volume more.

Feb 28, 2016
we, the 'older-generation', can look back and reflect on what we were really seeing in the
old 'cowboy movies from the 50's-60's in our childhood, etc. = it was all about the whites killing
the Indians and others in various forms in different cultures and different countries killing and dominating each other-
it was so frightening, to say the least, not to mention all of what we were brought up
on in the genre of 'Hollywood's 'satanic-beasts movies, that absolutely terrified me to the point of
nightmares, and bed wetting: but this is what our parents had us watch while they played their games...
just pause a moment and think about what was put inside of our innocent 'heads and hearts'...
they filled me with terrors beyond belief, which influenced my daily life of trying to survive what
was being done to me at my home by my 'so called parents'...when I stepped onto the school-bus,
this was my saving grace during the week, and then on the week-ends, my next door neighbors took
me to their church, the only place in my entire life that I found solace and common care, as they all
knew what I had to go home to, but didn't intervene - I thank God for my neighbors who had the strength
and will to take me away from the horror of my home, if only for a couple of hours, and also took me to
summer Bible School,
where I could get a glimpse of Jesus' Love and care for me, while I was there at the church...ETC...............

Last edited:

Socreta93

Jul 28, 2015
I watch wrestling, and unless I want to watch independent wrestling, WWE has severely toned down the violence. I don't think it's true, I've seen clips of older movies and it's just as violent if not more violent than now. Too many sponsors that want everything clean, everyone gets offended. If they were to do a mobster movie nowadays, it would be a comedy almost. Imagine Goodfellas in 2018 lol. Others may disagree but that's how I see it

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
One word: Dexter. And no, not Dexter's Laboratory. The OTHER Dexter.

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013
If they were to do a mobster movie nowadays, it would be a comedy almost. Imagine Goodfellas in 2018 lol.
Goodfellas was a comedy almost.
There's no more violence in movies now than there ever was.
What's different is the realism of modern effects,
and the producers' desire to show it all off.
In the old movies, they necessarily left stuff to the imagination.

D

Depleted

I watch wrestling, and unless I want to watch independent wrestling, WWE has severely toned down the violence. I don't think it's true, I've seen clips of older movies and it's just as violent if not more violent than now. Too many sponsors that want everything clean, everyone gets offended. If they were to do a mobster movie nowadays, it would be a comedy almost. Imagine Goodfellas in 2018 lol. Others may disagree but that's how I see it
We gave up on wrastlin' about 15 years ago, so got to ask -- how do you tone down violence for wrastlin'?

Socreta93

Jul 28, 2015
We gave up on wrastlin' about 15 years ago, so got to ask -- how do you tone down violence for wrastlin'?
When it comes to WWE, blood isn't allowed unless it happens by accident. Even they they stop the match to check on the wrestler, to the annoyance of the audience. No weapon head shots of any kind, due to concussions and lawsuits. Men and women don't wrestle each other anymore.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I do think the problem isn't so much the increased violence as it is the weird fetishization and instant-death nature of it all.

When the great old films got violent, they usually erred closer to infrequent occurrence and loose realism. Today, it just seems to be every other frame with a flash of breasts here and there. Nerfed, but far more dangerous for the mind.