Increasing our understanding of the Word...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
Here we write all kinds of tips and ideas, that are useful to increase our understanding of the Word of God.
This one is my favorite:

Isaiah 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

A lot of things are scattered throughout the Bible. Sometimes things will not make sense, until you suddenly run into another reference in a totally different book of the Bible and it makes things "click". But when you just read linearly, you might not get what's going on. We need a good command of the entire book. I really like to search for keywords because of this, and it's a cool way to make a comprehensive search on a subject by pulling all references throughout the Bible.

*Feel free to chime in with your favorite tips and resources*

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
A thousand thank yous for this thread. Very helpful already, I kid you not.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
I must say you give a great knowledge to us.
Not me my friend - this is the Bible itself hinting us - God wants us to make great use!
That verse is pure gold... And this one is like bright silver:

Revelation 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

This verse tells us, that all the prophecy the Spirit speaks points at the testimony of Jesus, aka at the redemption and salvation of Jesus. Jesus is what it's all about. It's pointing at Jesus restoring us to Him, in every story, character and event we turn to.
The kinsman redeemer in the Book of Ruth? Jesus.
Samson who destroyed "more enemies in his death then in his life"? Jesus.
Taking Israel out of slavery? Jesus.
Notice Jesus. Then your eyes are open to the Spirit of prophecy.

lastofall

Aug 26, 2014
[for me anyway] we can only receive and then increase understaning through the Holy Spirit of Truth, and not by any menas of mankind's methods: because it is not of him that planteth, neither of he that watereth; but only of God that giveth the increase, and not us.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Here we write all kinds of tips and ideas, that are useful to increase our understanding of the Word of God.
This one is my favorite:

Isaiah 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

A lot of things are scattered throughout the Bible. Sometimes things will not make sense, until you suddenly run into another reference in a totally different book of the Bible and it makes things "click". But when you just read linearly, you might not get what's going on. We need a good command of the entire book. I really like to search for keywords because of this, and it's a cool way to make a comprehensive search on a subject by pulling all references throughout the Bible.

*Feel free to chime in with your favorite tips and resources*
Soul weaver, I don’t think you and most Christians view this scripture the same way I and others do.

The body of Christ is not under law. We are connected to Jesus within by Spirit, Holy Spirit. It’s a living reality of relationship for us, so it’s not by precepts. Revelation of Son through Holy Spirits teaching us in the Word.

That’s actually a negative scripture for its saying do this, do that, and I will do this or that. The OT covenant was a contract of agreement. The people heard the Word read, the law, then answered all that Moses wrote, we will do. My wording. So it’s law by law and obedience. Involves man working, and sweat. Labor.

The NT is a will of inheritance. The Son is revealed through Holy Spirit to those He has regenerated. And by this continual revelation, we see Him resulting then in seeing self in Christ. Going from glory to glory growing into His image, His One new creation man, the body of Christ.

He speaks, we hear or are led, we believe, or obey. Results in action of unity with Him by Spirit.

Otherwise we rest.

Simply, we rest in His work, until He speaks, then by unction through faith we work. No sweat.

Understand or not?

To know these things from the beginning of our new birth would save us many years of “wandering through the desert”.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Soul weaver, I don’t think you and most Christians view this scripture the same way I and others do.

The body of Christ is not under law. We are connected to Jesus within by Spirit, Holy Spirit. It’s a living reality of relationship for us, so it’s not by precepts. Revelation of Son through Holy Spirits teaching us in the Word.

That’s actually a negative scripture for its saying do this, do that, and I will do this or that. The OT covenant was a contract of agreement. The people heard the Word read, the law, then answered all that Moses wrote, we will do. My wording. So it’s law by law and obedience. Involves man working, and sweat. Labor.

The NT is a will of inheritance. The Son is revealed through Holy Spirit to those He has regenerated. And by this continual revelation, we see Him resulting then in seeing self in Christ. Going from glory to glory growing into His image, His One new creation man, the body of Christ.

He speaks, we hear or are led, we believe, or obey. Results in action of unity with Him by Spirit.

Otherwise we rest.

Simply, we rest in His work, until He speaks, then by unction through faith we work. No sweat.

Understand or not?

To know these things from the beginning of our new birth would save us many years of “wandering through the desert”.
I wrote something that one could label error. Wasn’t specific enough. Moses wrote what God spoke.

Sep 3, 2016
Jesus Explains the Purpose of Speaking in Parables

Matthew 13:10-14

10 And the Disciples came, and said unto Him (seems to pertain to a later time when they were alone), Why do you speak to them in Parables? (This portrays consternation on their part!)

11 He answered and said unto them (concerns the Lord's method of dealing with two different classes of people, those who really wanted to know God's way and those who were merely curious), Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the Kingdom of Heaven, but to them it is not given (two categories are here presented; in which category are you?).

12 For whosoever has (and wants more), to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance (if one wills Righteousness, the Lord wills more Righteousness to them): but whosoever has not (no interest for more), from him shall be taken away even that he has (he not only loses what he could have had, but even that which he has; to those who accept the Cross, they will have even more, and to those who reject the Cross, they will lose everything, even that which they previously had).

13 Therefore speak I to them in Parables (in order to separate those who hunger and thirst for Righteousness from those who don't): because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand (that is, they do not wish to see or hear or understand; and hence by a just judgment they lose this triple moral ability).

14 And in them (those who reject the Cross [1 Cor. 1:23]) is fulfilled the Prophecy of Isaiah, which says, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive (a willing deafness, a willful blindness, and a willful dullness; this Passage is quoted in one form or the other some seven times in the New Testament [Mat. 13:14-15; Mk. 4:12; LK. 8:10; Jn. 12:39-40; Acts 28:26-27; Rom. 11:8]):

JSM

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
We all know it is the Holy Spirit who teaches. We can actually experience a burning in our hearts as He opens the word to us.

However, It is beneficial to others to offer insights that may provide helpful tools as folks themselves embark on their own journeys with the amazing word.

I have been a believer for a long time. I did go left for a bad while, but have been back for a good 15 years. I started digging in more so the last few years. It has been a huge blessing doing so. I am grateful. It is amazing how much His word offers.

Anyway, I hope brothers and sisters choose to enlighten us with their tips, resources, and suggestions. It is encouraging and edifying.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
Let me correct myself, here we write tips and ideas that we have found useful in our study...
Please let this not become a thread for argument, although I'm not saying we were arguing. It was supposed to edify.

[for me anyway] we can only receive and then increase understaning through the Holy Spirit of Truth, and not by any menas of mankind's methods: because it is not of him that planteth, neither of he that watereth; but only of God that giveth the increase, and not us.
This is correct! And God wants us to seek, so He can "water". I am not suggesting otherwise by any means.
Also about the secrets in the Bible, and in hand with what you said:

"he that has understanding, let him understand"
This is actually a hint, not a phrase (like I thought when I started reading the Bible when I got saved).
Because duh, it's obvious that I'll understand if I have understanding...? :LOL:
What God defines as understanding?

Exodus 31:3 And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, (...)

This one might be old for some, but it was something I discovered on my journey so I put it there. :)

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
Not that I am trying being critical but just offering something to ponder. In Job looking at the friends names,places ect. Job would have taken place before Moses was born and before Genesis, Exodus,Leviticus,Deuteronomy and Numbers were written. So one group only has Job to consider and the other has Job and the books of Moses to ponder.

Then another Group has Joshua,Samuel,Gad,Nathan,Iddo, Kings,Chronicles ect.. Then afterwards Isaiah,Ezra, Daniel ect. And then the minor prophets ect. . Then from Matthew to Revelation but not everyone would have had the same Scriptures during their lives as we do today. Those who lived before Job would have not have had any Scripture to ponder(Abraham,Isaac,Jacob ect.),,,and those who lived after the apostles would have had much more to consider. It is not unreasonable to think that across time we would have seen different one from the other unless every book speaks of the same thing.

Dec 12, 2013
Well.....if one drives any time at all to work and back or eve to town and back...you can listen to the entire bible on CD in about 85 hours....so....if one drives thirty minutes to work and then another thirty home you can go thru the entire bible over 4 times a year.....the dramatized version is ok....has all the background sounds etc.......anyway....just a tidbit...and if you drive 2 hours a day...one can listen to the entire bible in abut 5 weeks or so......

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
My tip is to read the entire Bible first all 66 books before you go into deeper study. It might take you are year or two but make sure thats the first thing you do. Some of it may be difficult to understand but you will be surprised how much you will take in and recall once youve got those words into your heart.

Choose a translation that gives you the fullest Holy Bible my reccomendation is the KJV. I wouldnt go for any paraphrased versions or readers digest type versions for your first read...you want a translation from the original tongues not a second or third hand version.

It is ok to read some childrens Bible stories as supplementarybecause of the illustrations (some have photographs of bible lands) to get an over view, and there are bible handboooks to give you the history in context although beware that some might have denominational bias. One I recommend was Bible for Dummies.

And always ask God if you dont understand something...read prayerfully. Ask your elders too. Try reading in a group a small bible study is a good way to keep motivated. Set aside time. I gave up TV to read the Bible. I dont miss the TV at all.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
That’s actually a negative scripture for its saying do this, do that, and I will do this or that.
Why is it *negative* to act as a Christian? Which means making righteous choices throughout the day. And then acting on them.

ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
I think stonesoffire means to say taking God as a vending machine. But nobody does that...
In the OP, what I said is that God states that His precepts are scattered, line upon line.
Where I said, that knowledge is scattered in the Bible and that one book or instance often explains the other book or instance, and this is not original interpretation of those verses. But it was a true notion that was very helpful to me in studying.

PERFECTION

Aug 14, 2019
Good luck staying awake through Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. plan on spending enough time to read these books at least three times each. However do not feel bad if it takes 6 or 7 times. The object here is to get through these books and honestly say you have read them. There is not much you will remember about these scriptures . However do not despair they will always be there in the future need there arise a need.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
Good luck staying awake through Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. plan on spending enough time to read these books at least three times each. However do not feel bad if it takes 6 or 7 times. The object here is to get through these books and honestly say you have read them. There is not much you will remember about these scriptures . However do not despair they will always be there in the future need there arise a need.
Whattt (gasp!) those are some of the most fun books! Same goes for books like Chronicles and Judges which people kind of dismiss. These are full of Messianic foreshadowing. Like when they build the temple... None of God's instruction what materials and designs to use are accidental, but all with intent.
If one translates the names of characters and places from Hebrew, you might get surprised with the extra message the story is packing... which is yet another way to help "more boring" books become more interesting. Nothing is accidental, but all with God's forethought.

(The best site I ran into so far for meanings of personal names and places, is Abarim publications, just to drop a note)
If someone wants to check this video out... Two life changing minutes... You will never see genealogies or other "lists" in the Bible as pointless content again...

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Why is it *negative* to act as a Christian? Which means making righteous choices throughout the day. And then acting on them.

ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.
Act as a Christian? Lol

Read it in the Amplified and you might “catch my drift”. 😉

They say “To whom would He teach knowledge?
And to whom would He explain the message?
Those just weaned from milk?
Those just taken from the breast?

“For He says,
‘Precept upon precept, precept upon precept,
Rule upon rule, rule upon rule,
Here a little, there a little.’

Indeed, the Lord will teach this people [in a more humiliating way]
By [men with] stammering lips and a foreign tongue,

He who said to them, “This is the place of quiet, give rest to the weary,”
And, “This is the resting place,” yet they would not listen.

Therefore the word of the Lord to them will be [merely monotonous repetitions]:
“Precept upon precept, precept upon precept,
Rule upon rule, rule upon rule,
Here a little, there a little.”
That they may go and stumble backward, and be broken, ensnared, and taken captive.

I would bold verse 12 but for some reason I’ve lost these functions with this new iPad.