Interesting question: According to scripture alone, what is "the Lord's day" (Revelation 1:10)?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
Its the same rest we enter, comparing his rest, to His rest .

Please take notice to the phrase, "he also". in verse ten. It means that the Son of man like us entered the rest of the father. And that was on the last day, it signifies the day of the lord when he comes as a thief in the night. .
No, it is being spoken in the past tense, not the Last Day which is in the future. The words "is entered" is used in the clause "For he that IS entered in to his rest." in verse 10

Which by the way is not a good translation it should read, " For the one entered into the rest of HIM." Context dictates the "one entered" is us and The "HIM" is GOD. And "the rest" in which HE speaks is that which was spoken of in verse 5, the Gospel rest.

And in this place again, If they shall enter into My rest.
(Heb 4:5 KJV)

There remaineth therefore a rest (Sabbath Keeping) to the people of God. For he that is entered into the rest of Him, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
(Heb 4:9,10)

The word sabbath is not a time sensitive word . It simply means rest. Its his shadow the city of refuge the bride of Christ the mother of us all. . .we rest in by faith. . the unseen eternal .

Yes it is. God makes it so in verse 4, HE says,"For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
Heb 4:5 And in this place again (HE SPEAKS), If they shall enter into my rest.

In other words if we enter into HIS REST which is the GOSPEL REST in CHRIST JESUS God speaks again of the Seventh Day and the fact that He rested on it.

AND HOW DOES HE SPEAK OF IT?
There remaineth therefore a rest (Sabbath Keeping) to the people of God. For he that is entered into the rest of Him (the GOSPEL REST IN CHRIST), he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

AS GOD DID FROM HIS. How did God cease from HIS WORKS? HE STOPPED WORKING On the Seventh Day. VERY TIME SENSITIVE.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
No one said anything about earning salvation. YOU said.
When you make something from the law mandatory for salvation such as keeping the Sabbath, then it becomes a requirement for salvation. So are you saying that keeping the Sabbath is mandatory or is it up to the believer to observe it or not? If it is the latter, then no problem. But if your are claiming this as needful for salvation, then it is a problem.

"Therefore the law is a curse to every human being, because we could not and cannot keep it.." So in response to that this was posted.

Nay we establish the law. For the law is written in our hearts and we became the servants of righteousness. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made us free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the just shall live by faith. The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: THAT IS, the word of faith, which we preach; God's Law in the heart and mind. Behold all things are new and of God. For the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

Believers establish the law because of their faith in Christ who fulfilled the law, meeting its righteous requirements, yet believers are not under the law. Everything that Jesus did is credited to those who believe in Him. Our focus should be on Christ as the One who provided our salvation and not by our own efforts. And when we sin, if we confess our sins and He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanses us of all unrighteousness. If the Sabbath or any other part of the law was required for those in Christ, then it would have been stated over and over again in the NT. But then it wouldn't be a new covenant, would it?

If keeping the Sabbath was a requirement for salvation, you'd think that it would have been mentioned in the letters to the seven churches in Revelation, but it isn't. In fact, the word Sabbath does not even appear in the book of Revelation.

So, what is your claim in this matter?

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
When you make something from the law mandatory for salvation such as keeping the Sabbath, then it becomes a requirement for salvation. So are you saying that keeping the Sabbath is mandatory or is it up to the believer to observe it or not? If it is the latter, then no problem. But if your are claiming this as needful for salvation, then it is a problem.
Mandatory? Are we not of the New Covenant? God's laws are in the heart and mind. His word is in the heart and mouth. (Heb 8:10; Rom 10:6-8) Behold all things are new and of God. A new creature.

A requirement? How can we not keep that what was made part of us through Christ.

"Therefore the law is a curse to every human being, because we could not and cannot keep it.." So in response to that this was posted.

Nay we establish the law. For the law is written in our hearts and we became the servants of righteousness. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made us free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the just shall live by faith. The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: THAT IS, the word of faith, which we preach; God's Law in the heart and mind. Behold all things are new and of God. For the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.
Believers establish the law because of their faith in Christ who fulfilled the law, meeting its righteous requirements, yet believers are not under the law. Everything that Jesus did is credited to those who believe in Him. Our focus should be on Christ as the One who provided our salvation and not by our own efforts. And when we sin, if we confess our sins and He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanses us of all unrighteousness. If the Sabbath or any other part of the law was required for those in Christ, then it would have been stated over and over again in the NT. But then it wouldn't be a new covenant, would it?
Sin is transgression of the Law.
Shall we continue in sin that grace abound? God forbid! How can we that are dead to sin live any longer therein. Know you not that as many of us that were baptized into Christ were baptized into His death like as Christ was raised by the glory of the Father even we walk in newness of life. For we are dead nevertheless we live, yet not us, but Christ LIVETH IN US, and the Life we now live in the Flesh we live by the FAITH OF THE SON OF GOD who gave himself for us. For he that has been baptized into Christ has put on Christ.

So Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above. Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.) But what saith it? The word (through Christ) is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach.

For Christ (through which the Word is in the heart and mouth; this Faith in which we speak) is the end of the law (on stone and parchment) for righteousness to every one that believeth. For God has said, He will put HIS LAWS IN OUR HEARTS AND MINDS. Written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward: Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God; Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

(Rom 6;1,2 Gal 2:20; 3:27; Rom 10:4-8; Heb 8:10; 2Co 3:-6)

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
Good morning thanks for all your time and effort.
What is this reference that I quoted above please?

May the Lord continue to bless us in all His way, Jesus Christ.
References are:

ATJ = Alonzo T(revier) Jones (Chief Editor, a lawyer, helped to stop the 1888 Blair Sunday Law bill, he had written several books, [1] The Two Republics – A T Jones (PDF) [2] Ecclesiastical Empire – A T Jones (PDF) [3] The Great Empires Of Prophecy – A T Jones (PDF))

ARSH = Advent Review and Sabbath Herald (paper), May 30, 1899; page 345 paragraph 1. - here - https://text.egwwritings.org/public...all&pagenumber=345&year=1899&month=May&day=30

The ARSH was under several editors, and at one time included James White as chief editor (but had died in 1881). You can find the list of editors here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventist_Review

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Paul knew sin how? James said what about sin? John said sin is?

As much as this little detour is helpful to some, OP topic please.
I didn't specify anyone. When we as believers in Christ sin, He is faithful to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us of all unrighteousness, That means everyone, because all have sinned and all fall short of God's glory.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Mandatory? Are we not of the New Covenant? God's laws are in the heart and mind. His word is in the heart and mouth. (Heb 8:10; Rom 10:6-8) Behold all things are new and of God. A new creature.

A requirement? How can we not keep that what was made part of us through Christ.
So, after you received Christ you never committed any sins? That's rhetorical, because I know the answer.

Those under the Law given to Moses, were required to keep the whole law. If you broke in one place, you broke all of it. Still want to be under the law? I thank God through my Lord Jesus that He rescued me from the curse of the law. I am free in Christ and so is every other believer. One of the big problems and false teachings are those who continue to try and put believers back under the law. Remain under the works of the law as a way of salvation is why Israel has not attained God's righteousness, which is by faith, not works.

"What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; 31but the people of Israel, who pursued the law as the way of righteousness, have not attained their goal. 32Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone."

Sin is transgression of the Law.
Your are correct, which is why believers are not under the law. Jesus met the righteous requirements of the law, satisfying it completely. Now we follow Christ and are led by the Spirit and not the written code of the law. Paul said:

"Clearly, God’s promise to give the whole earth to Abraham and his descendants was based not on his obedience to God’s law, but on a right relationship with God that comes by faith. 14If God’s promise is only for those who obey the law, then faith is not necessary and the promise is pointless. 15For the law always brings punishment on those who try to obey it. (The only way to avoid breaking the law is to have no law to break!)"

Shall we continue in sin that grace abound? God forbid! How can we that are dead to sin live any longer therein.
No, we should not continue in sin, which is referring to willful sin, i.e. willfully living according to the sinful nature. However, as believers we are still sinners. And whenever we sin, if we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us of all unrighteousness. And that because Jesus sits at the Father's right hand making intercession for us, interceding on our behalf.

"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us."

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
I didn't specify anyone. When we as believers in Christ sin,
I didn't say you had "specif[ied]" anyone. I was asking for the Bible's definition of sin, which you did not provide and do not provide. Again:

Paul knew sin how? James said what about sin? John said sin is?

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
And whenever we sin, if we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us of all unrighteousness. And that because Jesus sits at the Father's right hand making intercession for us, interceding on our behalf.
The problem with that half-gospel (as it does not provide the whole picture), is that Jesus Christ will not Advocate forever as High Priest in our behalf cleansing us from sin (as that would immortalize sin itself). A time is coming when all that will be done, and whoever is filthy shall remain filthy, etc (Revelation 22:11; Revelation 10:7, etc), and therefore, Jesus is looking to finish the work began since Calvary, in us. To bring us to the place that we can live in the sight of a Holy God without sin, before Jesus returns. Jesus is about to cast down the censer forever (Revelation 8:5). Jesus has "bought" (Leviticus 25:51; 1 Peter 1:18-19) us, and will (before He returns) have "brought" (Leviticus 25:55; 1 Peter 3:18) us back to perfection while we stand upon this earth, before He returns in glory. The final generation which crushes the serpent completely (Romans 16:20), which had begun at Calvary (Genesis 3:15), for the scapegoat ceremony will be complete (Leviticus 23).

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
So, after you received Christ you never committed any sins? That's rhetorical, because I know the answer.
No you don't, Only God knows. But so as not to go off on a tangent yes to my (our) shame I (we) have. But that does not mean we or I will continue.
God says through Paul,
Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Phil 3:12-14

Those under the Law given to Moses, were required to keep the whole law. If you broke in one place, you broke all of it. Still want to be under the law? I thank God through my Lord Jesus that He rescued me from the curse of the law. I am free in Christ and so is every other believer. One of the big problems and false teachings are those who continue to try and put believers back under the law. Remain under the works of the law as a way of salvation is why Israel has not attained God's righteousness, which is by faith, not works.
Under the Law? How can we be under that to which has become part of us in Christ.

We are dead nevertheless we live yet not us but Christ liveth in us and the life we now live in the flesh we live by the FAITH OF the son of God.

We live by the FAITH OF the son of God who gave Himself for us not by Being under the Law.

Know you not that as many of us that were baptized into Christ have PUT ON CHRIST. That the BODY OF SIN BE DESTROYED. That hence forth we should not serve sin. FOR HE THAT IS DEAD IS FREE FROM SIN. For he that sins is a slave to sin, AND the SLAVE to sin shall not abide in the HOUSE forever. Who's House we are if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end. FOR the SON has set us free, and free we are INDEED.

For the Just shall live by Faith, the Faith of the Son of God who Gave himself for us. Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

The righteousness which is of faith. SO Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above. Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.) But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; For Christ (through which the word is in the heart and mouth, which is true faith; the faith in which we preach) is the end of the law (on tables of stone and parchment) for righteousness for everyone that believeth.

For HE has perfected for ever them that are sanctified. Whereof the Holy Ghost (GOD) also is a witness to us: FOR Thus saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them.

For the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live. The circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

If thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which are written in this book of the law, and if thou turn unto the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul. For this commandment which I command thee this day (TO hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which are written in this book of the law) , it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off. It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? But the word (Through Christ TO hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to commandments and his statutes which are written in this book of the law) is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it. THE CIRCUMCISION MADE WITHOUT HANDS, THE CIRCUMCISION OF CHRIST IN THE PUTTING OF THE SINS OF THE FLESH. FOR IT IS GOD THAT WORKED IN THEM AND US BOTH TO WILL AND DO HIS GOOD PLEASURE. AS JESUS SAID. HE DOETH THE WORK.

HE is the Truth and the Life and In Him is life, therefore choose life, That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.
(Deu 30:10-16,19-20; Heb 10:14-16; Rom 10:4-8; Gal 2:20,3:17; Col 2:11; Phil:2:13)

"What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; 31but the people of Israel, who pursued the law as the way of righteousness, have not attained their goal. 32Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone."
The righteousness which is of faith SPEAKETH ON THIS WISE, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ (the word, God's Law )down from above. Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.) But what saith it? The word (GOD'S LAW THROUGH CHRIST) is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; For Christ (through which the word; GOD'S LAW is in the heart, mind and mouth; true faith, the faith in which we preach) is the end of the law (on tables of stone and parchment) for righteousness for everyone that believeth.

It is all important and connected my friend. We Just continue in Patience and prayer as you have and let our LORD and Father GOD work the work that only He can do in Christ.

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
Did anyone desire to present scriptural evidence that clearly shows that "the Lord's day" (Revelation 1:10) is not as I have clearly shown from scripture, the Sabbath of the LORD, the seventh day of the week, and is some other day of the week, or some other thing?

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
Isaiah 58:13 in various translations:

KJB - "... my [context, the LORD's] holy day ..."
CJB - “... Adonai’s holy day ..."
ERV - "... the Lord’s special day ..."
EXB - “... the Lord’s holy day ..."
GW - "... the Lord’s holy day ..."
ICB - “... the Lord’s holy day ..."
ISV - "... the Lord’s holy day ..."
TLB - "... the Lord’s holy day ..."
MSG - "... God’s holy day ..."