Is being "unequally yoked" a reasonable excuse for a woman to leave her husband?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
I have two questions:

1. Is being "unequally yoked" (2 Cor. 6:14) from a non-Christian husband an excuse for a woman to leave him?

Let's take it a step further:

2. If the husband professes Jesus as Lord and Savior, but does not measure up to the same level of spiritual maturity as the wife, is she justified in leaving him?

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I have two questions:

1. Is being "unequally yoked" (2 Cor. 6:14) from a non-Christian husband an excuse for a woman to leave him?

2. If the husband professes Jesus as Lord and Savior, but does not measure up to the same level of spiritual maturity as the wife, is she justified in leaving him?
1) No. This Scripture speaks of pre-marriage. Once a person marries, there is only one reason God has declared to be acceptable for Him. Adultry.

2) No. 1 Peter, Chapter 3

1Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

Concerning men "putting away their wives," Answer to No. 1 also applies.

Nov 15, 2023
I have two questions:

No, that's not a basis for leaving him. She can be a good spiritual influence through being an example and praying for her husband.

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
No. This Scripture speaks of pre-marriage. Once a person marries, there is only one reason God has declared to be acceptable for Him. Adultry.
So, given your answer here, it would seam like a good idea to be cautious how we teach young women concerning divorce.

I often hear radio preachers drone on about how horrible men are today spiritually. Instead of incouraging men, I am affraid we are giving young women a license to leave their husbands. Sure, it's a perception thing, but it can be a strong one.

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
1Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
"be in subjection to your own husbands"

Do we even teach this anymore?

Sep 24, 2012
Nope... elsewhere in the NT it talks about staying with an unbelieving spouse if they are pleased to dwell with you, but if they leave you that it's ok to part ways.

Tall_Timbers

Mar 31, 2023
Cheyenne WY
christiancommunityforum.com
Is being "unequally yoked" a reasonable excuse for a woman to leave her husband?
No. It's a basis for choosing not to get married to an unbeliever, but isn't a Biblical basis for divorcing a spouse. That would be quite clear for those who study the Word of God.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I have two questions:

The answer to both questions is the same: No.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
I have two questions:

question #2, the easier one, the answer is NO. question #1, well, people who are unequally yoked should never get married in the first place! i would suggest when that situation arises, try your best by attending marriage classes that teach the difference in unequally yoked, the born again meaning to stay married.

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
I often hear radio preachers drone on about how horrible men are today spiritually. Instead of incouraging men, I am affraid we are giving young women a license to leave their husbands. Sure, it's a perception thing, but it can be a strong one
So-called churches have been mate-poaching for a long time. They're almost as bad as the government when it comes to instigating divorce.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
I have two questions:

I remember lol my wife the lord gave her a dream. We were going up this MTN but I was dragging her up the hill haha. No matter where she is in her walk with Christ I made a vow to GOD and I will keep it. I have ooh no clue other then by the grace of our lord and savoir Jesus Christ that we are still together over 40y now. So let it be written to Him alone I give all the praise and glory.

If we sin miss it goof up we repent we get up dust off keep going.

NOV25

Nov 23, 2019
I have two questions:

1. 1 Corinthians 7:13-14
2. 1 Corinthians 7:10-11

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I have two questions:
1. Is being "unequally yoked" (2 Cor. 6:14) from a non-Christian husband an excuse for a woman to leave him? Let's take it a step further: 2. If the husband professes Jesus as Lord and Savior, but does not measure up to the same level of spiritual maturity as the wife, is she justified in leaving him?
In both cases the answer is a firm "NO". This does not need any further discussion.

NightTwister

Jul 5, 2023
Colorado, USA
1) No. This Scripture speaks of pre-marriage. Once a person marries, there is only one reason God has declared to be acceptable for Him. Adultery.
So, a person in a physically abusive relationship is required to stay and continue to take the abuse?

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
So, a person in a physically abusive relationship is required to stay and continue to take the abuse?
Matthew 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Matthew 18:21 - 22
Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Absolutely not!

An abusive spouse is a debtor to the marriage covenant and against their own bodies. There is even a case for “adultery” as they diminish the other directly, not indirectly like in an affair.

The two shall become one flesh.”

The elders should get involved, giving the victim protection and solace if need be. If the abuser does not repent, he or she (the abuser) should be removed from the church.

The question that remains is whether or not God put the two together. Just because we say He did doesn’t make it so. If He did not then the victim may divorce the other.

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
I have two questions:

no, failure in chastity is the only given reason. didn't she ought better to pray and love him into a better place spiritually.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Matthew 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
In the case of an intimate relationship, the only appropriate response to violence is to separate. That doesn’t mean divorce is necessary but it does mean safety for the abused spouse.

Sep 24, 2012

Matthew 5:39: I think this might be talking about someone hitting you, not a husband beating or assaulting a wife, if you get what I mean.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
I have two questions:

1. No.
2. No.