Is Catholocism bad?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
It does not make me an authority but I spent 10 years on a Catholic Protestant board. Catholicism as to what they call "Law of the Fathers" or "Apostolic succession". say "Sola Scriptura isn't biblical in order to in the end of the matter make the authority of God without effect.
I would love to hear a Catholic respond to that statement. Seems ridiculous to me.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Of course nowhere do you find records of them PRAYING to these venerated saints or asking the DEPARTED SAINTS to PRAY on their behalf.
Absolutely UNBIBLICAL and wicked.

Why? Because, if you are praying to Saint Nicholaus or Saint JoeShmoe, how can you know they were even SAVED? You dont know their eternal state, you have never even met these guys, nor are they recorded in Scripture. They are just church tradition. They have even made a Pope a saint recently.
Why would the names of "Saints" that lined in the time after the NT was written have their names recorded in the Bible?
That seems like a weak argument to me. I'm not defending praying to Saints, but that argument is empty to a Catholic.

Isny

Jan 15, 2017
I really do not believe that there will ever be any Protestants, Catholics, Orthodox, Muslims, Buddhists and so on in heaven.......only those who have lived their lives here on earth as God has wanted us to live.

Our best guide for our life here on earth is the Bible. Amen!

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
It means that all truth necessary for our salvation and spiritual life is taught either explicitly or implicitly in Scripture.
End of story .
What is "implied" by the gift of prophecy in the NT?

1 Corinthians 14:39
Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.

Acts 2:17
“‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.

1 Corinthians 1:7
Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
I really do not believe that there will ever be any Protestants, Catholics, Orthodox, Muslims, Buddhists and so on in heaven.......only those who have lived their lives here on earth as God has wanted us to live.

Our best guide for our life here on earth is the Bible. Amen!
So you are claiming to be neither Protestant nor Catholic?
Not Orthodox, Muslim, nor Buddhist?
You must be Jewish. Is that what you are saying?

Laish

Jul 31, 2016
What is "implied" by the gift of prophecy in the NT?

1 Corinthians 14:39
Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.

Acts 2:17
“‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.

1 Corinthians 1:7
Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed.
One thing that is not implied is that it must not do is change ,damage or do violence to scripture.
That’s why the reformers and many other before them had said things like or similar to sola scriptura.

2nd Timothy 3: 16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

2nd Timothy 4:1 I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom: 2 preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, 4 and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths. 5 But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.
So what ever is believed about prophecy it must be validated by scripture.
Also Jesus had this to say

Mathew 7: 21”Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22”Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23” And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’

Yea there will be folks saying they had prophetic knowledge but some are not going to be the genuine thing . Where are we to go to in order to test their words. Yea scripture.
End of story.
Blessings
Bill

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
Why would the names of "Saints" that lined in the time after the NT was written have their names recorded in the Bible?
That seems like a weak argument to me. I'm not defending praying to Saints, but that argument is empty to a Catholic.
Not a bad argument at all:

WE DONT KNOW these guys who the catholic church has declared "saints". Therefore, asking them to pray for us is a BAD IDEA. For all we know, they could be in hell.

Laish

Jul 31, 2016
So you are claiming to be neither Protestant nor Catholic?
Not Orthodox, Muslim, nor Buddhist?
You must be Jewish. Is that what you are saying?
Sketch some non Catholic Christian folks do not trace their religious beliefs through the reformation.
So they don’t believe they are Protestants . You know protesting the Catholic Church. They believe they or their denomination were never Catholic. Many Baptist feel this way . Just to name one off the top of my head . It’s a really small thing to disagree about. Too many arguments with so little profit for either side of the debate
Blessings
Bill

Laish

Jul 31, 2016

WE DONT KNOW these guys who the catholic church has declared "saints". Therefore, asking them to pray for us is a BAD IDEA. For all we know, they could be in hell.
Yea but praying to saints attributes qualities of God to a created being . How can a saint hear millions of prayers are the omnipresent? Can a saint increase God’s sympathy for the one who is praying? Who understands man better than God . Also can a saint hear silent prayer? Only God know a man’s heart.
Too much attributed to the creation that belongs to God alone .
Blessings
Bill

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
Yea but praying to saints attributes qualities of God to a created being . How can a saint hear millions of prayers are the omnipresent? Can a saint increase God’s sympathy for the one who is praying? Who understands man better than God . Also can a saint hear silent prayer? Only God know a man’s heart.
Too much attributed to the creation that belongs to God alone .
Blessings
Bill
Im one of those weirdos that prays outloud so God hears me for sure, lol :D

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Yea there will be folks saying they had prophetic knowledge but some are not going to be the genuine thing
Some are not. That means some are. Good.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018

Right. I don't recommend anyone pray to Saints. Just to be clear.

And actually Catholics deny doing such. They claim to be sending a message through them. Claiming that God answers their prayers, not the Saints. But then if you go on their forums they will tell you which Saint to pray to if you lose your car keys. Because "... it really works." (they are so busted)

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
It’s a really small thing to disagree about.
That's a good point.
I have always been of the mindset that you are either Jewish or Christian. And if Christian, either Catholic or Protestant. Everyone else is heathen. lol
It simplifies things when there are only four possible slots to fit in.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
That's a good point.
I have always been of the mindset that you are either Jewish or Christian. And if Christian, either Catholic or Protestant. Everyone else is heathen. lol
It simplifies things when there are only four possible slots to fit in.
Here is a good rule of thumb: If they got a different interpretation than me, they are wrong.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Robes and vestments, incense, altar, tabernacle, fonts, liturgy, sacred vessels, candles, statues, the Laver, graven images and much more.

These things are from the ancient Israelite worship.

We see the Church in revelation worships God in this fashion and so did the Israelites in the Temple.

Giant graven timber statues clad in gold, the Cherubim in the Holy of Holies, the most sacred part of the Temple.
God wanted these in place. Why? When He commanded that there be no graven images, and He also commanded that these graven images be set in place in His very sanctuary.

The difference is the intended purpose of these graven images, they were part of the worship, not the objects of worship. Real idolatry worshipped the object itself as a god, that is what displeased God.

The simplistic understanding can not grasp the difference, that is why many can not understand why God wanted these graven images in His sanctuary. In fact there were thousands of graven images in God's Holy Temple.
Many don't want to understand the difference, they just want to nurse their prejudices, because they hate the Catholic Church. Sad loss for them however, because knowing the difference here opens the way to profounder understanding of Christianity.
Let make It simple brother God say not bow to Gravenn image. Catholic bow to Graben image, like satanic religion.

When peter alive, Cornelius bow to him, and he forbid It. Now in one of catholic church in Surabaya ( the name of the city in Indonesia) people pray infront of Peter statue an bow, and you say It is not satanic?

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Here is a good rule of thumb: If they got a different interpretation than me, they are wrong.
Right. That's the best way to determine if a doctrine is false. (I don't agree with it, or have never heard it before)

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Let make It simple brother God say not bow to Gravenn image. Catholic bow to Graben image, like satanic religion.

When peter alive, Cornelius bow to him, and he forbid It. Now in one of catholic church in Surabaya ( the name of the city in Indonesia) people pray infront of Peter statue an bow, and you say It is not satanic?
We sure love to throw around the accusations like "satanic" and "pagan".
We can't just say that something is disagreeable or doesn't honor God.

The word "satanic" isn't even in the Bible.
And should probably only be used when describing something related to the occult religion of Satanism.

Laish

Jul 31, 2016

Actually all you need to do is look in the Catholic Encyclopaedia under worship and its place in the Catholic Church. Here is a excerpt.

In accordance with these principles it will readily be understood that a certain worship may be offered even to inanimate objects, such as the relics ,of a martyr , the Cross of Christ ,the Crown of Thorns, or even the statues ,or picture of a saint.

They go through great expense to excuse this by redefining worship They in lawyer type fashion break worship down into to three different types ,but it all comes down to one thing . Do we worship The Creator or the creation?
Blessings
Bill