Is debating equally acceptable amongst genders?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Do women have different brains?
Yes.
Or at least they process things differently than men.
This is not a bad thing, but it is different.

Example.
Men tend to categorize things. And prefer to talk about one thing at a time.
Women see everything as connected and want to discuss everything at once.
This drives men crazy.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Do you think women, in an open debate forum, discussing biblical doctrine, crosses the line when getting into a heated discussion with the opposite gender? I don't think offering up our own interpretations are considered teaching or preaching, but if we are correcting respectfully of course, Brother's ideas, are we crossing the line?
Are you saying there are women in the BDF?

Right in here with the menfolk?

E

eternally-gratefull

ha..rumors abound apparently

about the multi tasking..truth there for sure...I used to read and watch tv at the same time when I was younger and right now I am on here and watching tv and I can relate to both things going on

I've even done 3 things

for sure men are are single focused..and that works great in some situations :cool:
Read something once.

A trip to a someplace, a man sees one way. Stick a road block in his way he wont even ask for directions.

The woman sees all the possible road blocks and gets there so much faster. Because she can see so much at once.

Of course sadly, My wife sorta debunked that notion, she is the worse with directions! lol

7seasrekeyed

Read something once.

A trip to a someplace, a man sees one way. Stick a road block in his way he wont even ask for directions.

The woman sees all the possible road blocks and gets there so much faster. Because she can see so much at once.

Of course sadly, My wife sorta debunked that notion, she is the worse with directions! lol

always ask for directions...even if you have to do it half a dozen x's :eek:

I issue warnings....after years of looks in his direction that say 'I told you so' (don't ever say the words), he actually
pays attention now (minor miracle...dude is stubborn (so am I)

unclear directions bug the bejabbers out of me LOL! o_O

E

eternally-gratefull

always ask for directions...even if you have to do it half a dozen x's :eek:

I issue warnings....after years of looks in his direction that say 'I told you so' (don't ever say the words), he actually
pays attention now (minor miracle...dude is stubborn (so am I)

unclear directions bug the bejabbers out of me LOL! o_O
Sounds like me, my wife just has to give me the look..lol

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
What line? Sorry I dont follow.

I think Paul was just saying women keep silent in churches because they were married and can always ask their husbands at home. For those of us who arent married, go for it!
I mean some of us dont have anyone to talk to about the bible.
As long as the woman doesnt go on and on. As a woman, let me just say I observe that when women gather together its very boring for the men to hear them talk as we can talk forever and go on an on and on....sure we got a lot to say but please be considerate.

I was at a meeting the other night, not for church, but...I noticed the man went home early and the women stayed on and just talked and talked....and I thought I wanted to go home too. It took 3 hours. I think the women wanted to stay up till midnight talking. When my aunties get together its always a talkfest, but my uncles never get together and when they do, they dont tend to talk much at all!

So really it comes down to can we get a word in? I think for online discussion its ok because you writing things down and thinking about things before you type it out.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Just want to add another thing ...haha theres a time limit to posting and I went over 5 minutes.
Debating..well theres an etiquette to debating such as right of reply, rebuttal, etc thats not related to gender I forget it now because I dont debate, even the Bible says to not debate, we just take Gods Word for what it is on faith and if speaking to prophesy, or edify, or encourage one another.

If this forum and bible discussion is meant to be about debating I will not join as its a waste of time cos when people debate they just trying to argue they are right all the time. Well nobody is always right only God is.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Do you think women, in an open debate forum, discussing biblical doctrine, crosses the line when getting into a heated discussion with the opposite gender? I don't think offering up our own interpretations are considered teaching or preaching, but if we are correcting respectfully of course, Brother's ideas, are we crossing the line?
Just picking your brains…

Gen 3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
(NOTE: Because Eve was decieved she receive's several judgements/punishments. Note the last judgement: And your husband shall have rule over her)

1 Tim 2:13-14). Paul writes via the Holy Spirit. Women can't teach or have spiritual authority over men. Therefore women can't serve in a public setting as Pastor, whereby exercising spiritual authority over men.

1 Tim 2:11-14 Vs 13 begins with "for" giving the "cause explains why women can't teach or have authority over men. Adam was created 1st. Eve was the one deceived, not Adam (vs 13-14). God created Adam 1st Eve & to be a Adam's helper. Eph 5:22-33 lays out the same order in the family & the church. Also see 1 Tim 2:14 that also explains that women can't exercise spiritual authority over men.

Acts 18:
24 And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus.

25 This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.

26 And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.

27 And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who, when he was come, helped them much which had believed through grace:

28 For he mightily convinced the Jews, and that publickly, shewing by the scriptures that Jesus was Christ.
(NOTE: Apollos a man mighty in OT scripture learning. Is taught a higher truth (that Jesus was the Christ). By Aquila & Priscilla/a WOMAN . Apollos then bears much fruit convincing Jews that Jesus, was the Christ)

Clearly, Godly women filled with the Holy Spirit can debate men and WIN souls! Amen

Scripture also instructs women to teach other women & children Titus 2:3-5. Verse 14 makes her manager of the the household. I see other teaching & leadership roles that scripture mandates to women. Scripture mandates the man to place a higher value on his wife's life, then on his own, Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it. It doen't tell her to lay down her life first. God LOVES women much!

7seasrekeyed

What line? Sorry I dont follow.

I think Paul was just saying women keep silent in churches because they were married and can always ask their husbands at home. For those of us who arent married, go for it!
I mean some of us dont have anyone to talk to about the bible.
As long as the woman doesnt go on and on. As a woman, let me just say I observe that when women gather together its very boring for the men to hear them talk as we can talk forever and go on an on and on....sure we got a lot to say but please be considerate.

I was at a meeting the other night, not for church, but...I noticed the man went home early and the women stayed on and just talked and talked....and I thought I wanted to go home too. It took 3 hours. I think the women wanted to stay up till midnight talking. When my aunties get together its always a talkfest, but my uncles never get together and when they do, they dont tend to talk much at all!

So really it comes down to can we get a word in? I think for online discussion its ok because you writing things down and thinking about things before you type it out.

what it really comes down to is COMMUNICATION

I'm not boring. are you? ;)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Silence can be a way of communicating too.

I have noticed men dont enjoy being corrected but watch out if they are in authority they can just change the rules. I dont make the rules here. Some men have a big ego, but if they puffed up with pride maybe there needs to be a little deflation, yet wouldnt you use gentle correction?

Proverbs 21:9 says its better to live on a corner of a roof than to share a house with a quarrelsome wife.

Debating doesnt get anybody into the Kingdom. Loving them does.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I have noticed men dont enjoy being corrected but watch out if they are in authority they can just change the rules. I dont make the rules here. Some men have a big ego, but if they puffed up with pride maybe there needs to be a little deflation, yet wouldnt you use gentle correction?

Proverbs 21:9 says its better to live on a corner of a roof than to share a house with a quarrelsome wife.

Debating doesnt get anybody into the Kingdom. Loving them does.

1. "I have noticed men don't enjoy being corrected..."
- Should I take this to mean women DO enjoy being corrected?
- Or might it be more accurate to just say that all humans have a problem with pride?

2. "... watch out if they are in authority they can just change the rules."
- I'm sure women in authority never abuse authority, or change the rules, or overstep themselves.
(Cough, Hillary.)
- Right? Women never do anything bad when they're in authority?

3. "Some men have a big ego,"
- Women don't have egos though, correct?
- No egos or pride for women... they're totally immune?

4. "...if they puffed up with pride maybe there needs to be a little deflation,"
- Imagine the response if I said I wanted to "deflate" the women around here.
- But I guess that would be fair. So I guess I'll just say it: when women are puffed up with pride, they need a little deflation!
- Hmmm, did that make anyone feel any better? Did that accomplish anything?

Or maybe...
maybe we could just recognize that all humans are flawed,
and all of us need grace.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
1. "I have noticed men don't enjoy being corrected..."
- Should I take this to mean women DO enjoy being corrected?
- Or might it be more accurate to just say that all humans have a problem with pride?

2. "... watch out if they are in authority they can just change the rules."
- I'm sure women in authority never abuse authority, or change the rules, or overstep themselves.
(Cough, Hillary.)
- Right? Women never do anything bad when they're in authority?

3. "Some men have a big ego,"
- Women don't have egos though, correct?
- No egos or pride for women... they're totally immune?

4. "...if they puffed up with pride maybe there needs to be a little deflation,"
- Imagine the response if I said I wanted to "deflate" the women around here.
- But I guess that would be fair. So I guess I'll just say it: when women are puffed up with pride, they need a little deflation!
- Hmmm, did that make anyone feel any better? Did that accomplish anything?

Or maybe...
maybe we could just recognize that all humans are flawed,
and all of us need grace.

I think we all know it says for women to not usurp authority from men for good reasons ;)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Yea because women do get beaten up. Literally, maybe people living in sheltered world aren't aware, but theres lots of women dead from violent men for simply speaking their mind.
We just reeling from another shocking death of a young female backpacker last seen with a male, dont know the circumstances, but we wondering why he would kill someone he didnt even know. Did she say something?

Totally messed up, but why do men get violent? Against women? Women cant fight back physically and match a man. But they can scream.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Sorry, just pray for this family. We dont know why it happened. Just horrible. For safetys sake, women need to be wary of going alone with a guy they dont know.

I dont know if men need to be just as cautious going with a woman they dont know. But its less likely they going to end up dead.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think we all know it says for women to not usurp authority from men for good reasons ;)
Some people dont actually know that though. Ahh nevermind, if you read your bible, you will find the answers instead of trying to argue something that is no argument at all.

After all arent we neither male nor female but all one in Christ Jesus? So lets all be one in Christ Jesus!

Shalom!

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
First, the word "role" never appears in the Bible. As for the Greek and Roman household code in some of the epistles, not for today!

However, I think men and women are different! Physically, for sure! Interests? Obviously! Mentally? I have read much that the brains are generally different.

That being said, there is a continuum. Men are generally taller than women. Although some men are small, and some women very tall. One of my close female friends from high school was over 6 feet tall. Taller than my husband, and 2/3 of my sons.

I would say most men are stronger than women. But we have this little lady in our church, couldn't be much more than 5 feet. She was a competitive weight lifter, win lots of awards. She could lift the whole stack in a universal! I was so proud of myself that I could lift 50 lbs. my hockey player son, could lift the whole stack when he was in top shape, playing pro hockey. I bet he couldn't now. Then, if a man lifts weights, he will always lift more than a woman.

Then there are hormones. Ok, maybe I shouldn't go there. As an old lady, getting away from hormones was he turning point in my life.

I truly believe men and women both have the capacity and God given right to pursue careers, interests, hobbies with the gifts and talents God has given us.

I don't not believe in roles, even though my husband and I are pretty traditional. Till I figured out that when we were both working full time, he needed to help around the house. I spent a few too many years doing everything, because he "changed the oil in the cars!" It was many years before I found out that it was a twice yearly job, that took only a short time to do!

Although, as I have gotten more disabled, he has really stepped up to help.

As far as arguing in the BDF. I like to think I can hold me own. Sometimes I learn from others, sometimes I am the one teaching. I have pursued my passion for learning with studying the Bible, I wish everyone would!

If someone insults me, it makes me mad. I don't care if it is man or women. Ad hominem attacks are the worst.

And if someone disagrees with me, I will show Scriptures in context. And if the other person does not, it is game over for them. But if they do, then it is an interesting discussion.

I thick if we have respect for other members, appreciate their strengths, do not spend our time harassing others, this can be a great place to debate, learn, grow and make friends. Regardless if gender.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
PS I would like to see gender, age and country put back in the profiles. I encourage a lot of people. I try and help women, but a lot of times, screen names don't reflect gender. It also helps me to know if I am speaking to a teen, a thirty something, or someone my age or older.

Country was also handy. Esp. In the News Forum. I guess I need to make a formal request.

Oh, interesting thread, Charli-Renee!

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
Sorry, as per usual you're taking an allusion to Scripture out of context and misapplying it.

It has nothing to do with roles in ministry but of salvation in the person of Christ. :)
What is the Faith?
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us INTO Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. For ye are all the children of God by THE faith IN Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

For We are crucified with Christ: nevertheless we live; yet not us, but Christ liveth in us: and the life which we now live in the flesh we live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ (the word) down from above: ) Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ (the word; the law) again from the dead.) But what saith it? The word (Christ) is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart:THAT IS THE WORD OF FAITH IN WHICH WE PREACH; And out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. For it it is GOD that works in us both to will and do HIS good pleasure. Not I but Christ. That we can't but help to speak the things we have seen and heard.
(Gal 3:24-29; 2:20; Rom 10:4-8; Mat 12:34)