Is getting a divorce a sin?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Hi Luisa lovely to meet you, welcome to CC! I think the Biblical sense of the word marriage is when two are equally yoked. Many of us married without this awareness and thus wound up in untrue unions. Yes we should give it our best effort and pray pray pray, but sometimes it's just not gonna work . So if it's a sin, God will surely forgive us when we ask, just like any other sin (except against the HS). Maybe pose this question in another Forum, the Family Forum perhaps, and get many more thoughts on it. God bless you and yours🙏🌼🙌
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: tourist and Bingo
Hi Luisa. May the grace and peace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with you always. The Bible gives two grounds for divorce: (1) sexual immorality (Matthew 5:32, Matthew 19:9) and (2) abandonment by an unbeliever (1 Corinthians 7:15).
(https://www.gotquestions.org/grounds-for-divorce.html)

(NASB20 Malachi 2:16) “For I hate divorce,” says the LORD, the God of Israel, “and him who covers his garment with violence,” says the LORD of armies. “So be careful about your spirit, that you do not deal treacherously.”

(NASB20 Matthew 5:32) "but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery."

(NASB20 1 Corinthians 7:15) "Yet if the unbelieving one is leaving, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us in peace."
 
Hi, I’m Luisa. While I wouldn't call myself a perfect Christian, I’m truly doing my best to live out my faith. There is a question that has been weighing heavily on my heart for a while now: Is getting a divorce considered a sin, and will I be held accountable for it?
What does God say about it?

Malachi 2:16For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away:

Putting away = marital divorce

Luke 16:18 - Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.
1 Corinthians 7:39 - The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.
 
image_35ea4cdf - Copy - Copy.jpg
:)
I am not going to burden you with unnecessary scripture.
Only adultery violates the marital covenant, But forgiveness is available through repentance.

Besides that I would consider if it needs to be, so let it be.
 
  • Heart
Reactions: TabinRivCA
Hi, I’m Luisa. While I wouldn't call myself a perfect Christian, I’m truly doing my best to live out my faith. There is a question that has been weighing heavily on my heart for a while now: Is getting a divorce considered a sin, and will I be held accountable for it?
No. Getting a divorce is not a sin. God understands the human condition quite well and is full of mercy and compassion. Glad to have you onboard with us. Welcome to CC.
 
  • Like
Reactions: TabinRivCA