Is God always against divorce? Ezra 9 and 10.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016

Ezra ordered all the Israelites to divorce their foreign wives. Ezra 10:2.

A large group of Israelites returned to Jerusalem from Babylon to rebuild the temple, and live a life true to the Lord. Ezra was their a high priest, leading the people.

In Ezra 9 we are told of his reaction when he learned that many Israelites had married foreign wives that would bring idol worship and foreign ways to Israel. An order was given to all Irael to “put away” these foreign wives and their children.

If it was God’s will that these wives be “put away, does that mean that the Lord is not always against divorce?

May 24, 2023
Yes, indeed. Though you have to keep in mind the priests were strictly forbade from marrying foreign women to begin with, which thing they disobeyed and made excuses and evi ltraditions to defend themselves in this doing. Therefore were they in transgression when they married women of a foreign race, therefore is the answer that they had to put away their foreign lovers and also be mindful, all the wicked priests and their children made in iniquity were defrocked.

This is the attitude of God towards the clergy, very strict. As it stands today a lot of clergy are violating the commands of God especially in terms of what God said about the clergy and their wives having to be strictly monogamist, both virgins before marriage, if they were to repent they would have to likewise divorce their adulterous wives and be likewise defrocked. But then because they will not repent ever and this is plain, God purposes just to wholly destroy them to sanctify himself in the eyes of all the other Christians.

Grace911

Nov 11, 2018

A large group of Israelites returned to Jerusalem from Babylon to rebuild the temple, and live a life true to the Lord. Ezra was their a high priest, leading the people.

In Ezra 9 we are told of his reaction when he learned that many Israelites had married foreign wives that would bring idol worship and foreign ways to Israel. An order was given to all Irael to “put away” these foreign wives and their children.

If it was God’s will that these wives be “put away, does that mean that the Lord is not always against divorce?
I believe you answered you own question. "foreign wives that would bring idol worship and foreign ways to Israel"

YHWH/LORD divorced the House of Israel because of their "adultery/harlotry" of seeking to serve other gods through idol worship.

Towards the end of King Solomon's reign, his foreign wives caused him to sin/adulterate.

In the New Testament, we are told not to yoke ourselves with unbelievers. (That is so loose and seems to get interpretation out of contxt.) However, if you believe after your married, you should remained married to the unbeliever.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

there’s a difference between old testement and new moses allowed divorce because of what Jesus said

“He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives:

but from the beginning it was not so. And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭19:8-9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

awe want to go with what the lord Jesus says not what Moses said before

Jesus allows divorce for only the reason he states there Moses allowed divorce for any reason one wanted to divorce Jesus says no that’s not my judgement my judgement is this other thing

Grace911

Nov 11, 2018
there’s a difference between old testement and new moses allowed divorce because of what Jesus said

“He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives:
but from the beginning it was not so. And I JESUS say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.”

Jesus in Matthew 19:8-9 is quoting Deuteronomy 24:1-4
1 When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.
2 And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife.
3 And if the latter husband hate her, and write her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house; or if the latter husband die, which took her to be his wife;
4 Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the LORD: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.

Moses did not create the Old Testament Torah. Moses spoke with the LORD/YHWH face to face. Moses was the "transcriber" for YHWH who gave dictation to Moses to write down. Moses was super and highly educated as he was raised in Egypt as a prince. Moses was "saved" for the purpose of leading the Israelites and other aliens/foreigners out of bondage.

Jesus said in
Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

WHAT IS MOSES' SEAT? iT IS A STONE CHAIR IN THE "MEETING PLACE" THAT THE TORAH IS READ WORD FOR WORD. NOTHING ADDED OR DIMINISHED. WHEN THEY VACATE THE SEAT THEY ARE THEN ALLOWED PERSONAL COMMENTARY AND DISCUSSION (MIDRASH).

Exodus 24:3 And Moses came and told the people all the words of the LORD, and all the judgments: and all the people answered with one voice, and said, All the words which the LORD hath said will we do.

Can you believe it!! Jesus was quoting the words of the LORD/YHWH who spoke directly to Moses.

Have you ever noticed that in the New testament sometimes the phrase "Kingdom of Heaven" and the phrase "Kingdom of God"?
They both are referring to the same thing, but each writer had a preference.

Because the Pharisees and Sadducee had ORAL LAW which they held in high regard, even higher than the LORD's word, that we see Moses' law as to differentiate from the ORAL LAW. The two laws are extrememly different and must be understood to get proper context.

"In Moses' law" we see the LORD/YHWH say you cannot add or diminish and what did they who held high regard for their ORAL LAW do? They SINNED BY ADDING. And Jesus said:

Mat_15:2 Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.
Mat_15:3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

Deuteronomy 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Deuteronomy 12:32 What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto,
nor diminish from it.

Jeremiah 16:19 O LORD, my strength, and my fortress, and my refuge in the day of affliction, the Gentiles shall come unto thee from the ends of the earth, and shall say, Surely our fathers have inherited lies, vanity, and things wherein there is no profit.

Psa_23:3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Psa_25:4 Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths.
Psa_25:10 All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies.
Psa_27:11 Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.
Psa_119:35 Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight.
Psa_119:105 NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Jesus is Torah and He came for so many reasons, but one reason was to fully EXPLAIN the Torah.

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Traditions that replace the WORD, that is diminishing the Torah, such as the lie that the Old Testament / Covenant is done away with and that Jesus came to replace the God of the Old Tesatmants commandments, is a BIG lie.

“These six things the LORD hates, yes, seven are an abomination to Him: a proud look, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that are swift in running to evil, a false witness who speaks lies, and one who sows discord among brethren” (Proverbs 6:16–19).

Notice that three of the seven things the Lord hates revolve around the ninth commandment: “Thou shalt not bear false witness” (Exodus 20:16). From this, we can conclude that God hates lying in any form.
“It is impossible for God to lie” (Hebrews 6:18).
The Lord hates lying because He is the source of truth—and truth describes His very character.

The New Covenant is not new but renewed. The Old Testament is the New Testament concealed. And the New Testament is the OT revealed.

The majority of scriptures is about the divorce and remarriage of those who follow their own paths and refuse to walk in the ancient pathways that are righteous.

Lies like you are not under the law, but under grace through Jesus. If you have not received the Helper/Holy Ghost, then you do not have the power to even have the "want to" to love Jesus and His Word/commandments/laws. This is where I once was. Without the truth and practicing traditions that has nothing to do with who the Father and Son are and revealing their unique Oneness.

Satan is truly a very talented deceiver and our God is TRUTH, WAY, AND LIGHT TO guide us back to the Marriage Covenant.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Jesus in Matthew 19:8-9 is quoting Deuteronomy 24:1-4
1 When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.
2 And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife.
3 And if the latter husband hate her, and write her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house; or if the latter husband die, which took her to be his wife;
4 Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the LORD: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.”
“Jesus in Matthew 19:8-9 is quoting Deuteronomy 24:1-4”

you have this correct jesus quotes what Moses wrote in his law, and then jesus says but I am telling you this other contrary thing

he does this many times a few examples

“Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: but I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5:38-39‬ ‭KJV‬‬

hes quoting what Moses wrote in the law ,

“And if a man cause a blemish in his neighbour; as he hath done, so shall it be done to him; breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again.”
‭‭Leviticus‬ ‭24:19-20‬ ‭

That’s Moses judgement consistently

“And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.”
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭21:23-25‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And thine eye shall not pity; ( show no mercy to the transgressor )

but life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.”( equal and just revenge )
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭19:21‬ ‭

jesus then appears saying “ you have heard that it was said ….but I’m telling you the other opposite thing “ do not repay offense with offense do not repay equally an offense , forgive the offense or insult and do not retaliate “

Jesus is saying “ do not follow the thing you heard before ( quoting Moses law ) eye for an eye but do what I’m telling you instead don’t retaliate , don’t repay wound for wound and blow for blow

marriage is another example there

moses said they could if they were unhappy for any reason divorce thier wife and remarry another but Jesus says no , you may divorce for adultery and fornocation only and may not remarry another that’s adultery

moses law which you correctly identified

“When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭24:1-2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Jesus when asked about this he again corrects what they had heard from the law and is telling them a contrary thing he even says why moses taught them differently

“And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him.

And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you? And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.

And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.

But from the beginning of the creation ( Jesus is now back talking about before sin in genesis before the law of Moses )

God made them male and female. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; and they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her. And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭10:2-9, 11-12‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭10:11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

It’s really sort of obvious that if one person says “ you can divorce for any reason and remarry

The other person is saying “ if you divorce for any reason other than fornication , and remarry another you’ve committed adultery “

those two things are not the same

the law of Moses came because Moses interceded for the people when God was going to consume them Moses said “ Lord of you destroy them then destroy me too blot me out of your book if you won’t spare the people “

God had already decided to destroy them all and start over with Moses moses laid his own life on the line to save them.

It’s a different testament Jesus fulfilled the ot promises now we have his promises

Grace911

Nov 11, 2018
“Jesus in Matthew 19:8-9 is quoting Deuteronomy 24:1-4”

you have this correct jesus quotes what Moses wrote in his law, and then jesus says but I am telling you this other contrary thing

he does this many times a few examples

“Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: but I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5:38-39‬ ‭KJV‬‬

hes quoting what Moses wrote in the law ,

“And if a man cause a blemish in his neighbour; as he hath done, so shall it be done to him; breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again.”
‭‭Leviticus‬ ‭24:19-20‬ ‭

That’s Moses judgement consistently

“And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.”
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭21:23-25‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And thine eye shall not pity; ( show no mercy to the transgressor )

but life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.”( equal and just revenge )
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭19:21‬ ‭

jesus then appears saying “ you have heard that it was said ….but I’m telling you the other opposite thing “ do not repay offense with offense do not repay equally an offense , forgive the offense or insult and do not retaliate “

Jesus is saying “ do not follow the thing you heard before ( quoting Moses law ) eye for an eye but do what I’m telling you instead don’t retaliate , don’t repay wound for wound and blow for blow

marriage is another example there

moses said they could if they were unhappy for any reason divorce thier wife and remarry another but Jesus says no , you may divorce for adultery and fornocation only and may not remarry another that’s adultery

moses law which you correctly identified

“When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭24:1-2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Jesus when asked about this he again corrects what they had heard from the law and is telling them a contrary thing he even says why moses taught them differently

“And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him.

And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you? And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.

And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.

But from the beginning of the creation ( Jesus is now back talking about before sin in genesis before the law of Moses )

God made them male and female. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; and they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her. And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭10:2-9, 11-12‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭10:11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

It’s really sort of obvious that if one person says “ you can divorce for any reason and remarry

The other person is saying “ if you divorce for any reason other than fornication , and remarry another you’ve committed adultery “

those two things are not the same

the law of Moses came because Moses interceded for the people when God was going to consume them Moses said “ Lord of you destroy them then destroy me too blot me out of your book if you won’t spare the people “

God had already decided to destroy them all and start over with Moses moses laid his own life on the line to save them.

It’s a different testament Jesus fulfilled the ot promises now we have his promises
Moses was a scribe for God. Since the Word has been with us since the beginning, The WORD remains until the end.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
What happened at the time of Ezra was to ensure that the Jews were separated from the idolatrous Gentiles. So this was a judicial "putting away" of wives (who never should have been taken as wives to begin with). But the overall principle is that God hates divorce.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016

but from the beginning it was not so. And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.”

Jesus allows divorce for only the reason he states there Moses allowed divorce for any reason one wanted to divorce Jesus says no that’s not my judgement my judgement is this other thing
Christ did not change any law of the old testament, Christ came to fulfill that law.

Marr. 5:17 Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

God is spirit, Christ gave us the spiritual meaning of the fleshly law of the OT., giving law in symbols.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
What happened at the time of Ezra was to ensure that the Jews were separated from the idolatrous Gentiles. So this was a judicial "putting away" of wives (who never should have been taken as wives to begin with). But the overall principle is that God hates divorce.
By searching scripture, we can determine that God hates divorce, God wants us to be a separate people who feels He is more important than any material thing like houses and cars, and wants us to be married to someone who is a helpmate in this.

What is still not clear to me is what God wants done about a marriage to someone who pulls away from God. What does scripture say?

Grace911

Nov 11, 2018
By searching scripture, we can determine that God hates divorce, God wants us to be a separate people who feels He is more important than any material thing like houses and cars, and wants us to be married to someone who is a helpmate in this.

What is still not clear to me is what God wants done about a marriage to someone who pulls away from God. What does scripture say?
God is abundantly patient. Imitate the same with the unbelieving spouse. Who knows, by your faith the spouse might be drawn to know God and follow this way of living.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
He may be, all in all, but he allows divorce for spousal cheating (adultery).

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Christ did not change any law of the old testament, Christ came to fulfill that law.

Marr. 5:17 Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

God is spirit, Christ gave us the spiritual meaning of the fleshly law of the OT., giving law in symbols.
“Christ did not change any law of the old testament, Christ came to fulfill that law. “

“For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest, who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment,

but after the power of an endless life.

For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever After the order of Melchisedec. ( different preisthood is a different law )

For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof. For the law made nothing perfect,

but the bringing in of a better hope did; ( God brought a better word to us ) by the which we draw nigh unto God.”( a word calls us near )
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭7:12, 15-19‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The Old Testament

“and not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: but their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament;

which vail is done away in Christ.

But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart. Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭3:13-16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

you have this word

“And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled.

And Moses ( not Jesus but Moses is leading the people and mediating the relationship ) brought forth the people out of the camp to meet with God; and they stood at the nether part of the mount.

And mount Sinai was altogether on a smoke, because the LORD descended upon it in fire: and the smoke thereof ascended as the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mount quaked greatly.

And when the voice of the trumpet sounded long, and waxed louder and louder, Moses spake, and God answered him by a voice.

And the LORD came down upon mount Sinai, on the top of the mount: and the LORD called Moses up to the top of the mount; and Moses went up. And the LORD said unto Moses, Go down, charge the people, lest they break through unto the LORD to gaze, and many of them perish.

So Moses went down unto the people, and spake unto them.”
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭19:16-21, 25‬ ‭

so you have that view of God because sin hasn’t yet been stoned for by Jesus blood he’s dealing with them with this dispostion

Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared.

Beware of him, and obey his voice, provoke him not; for he will not pardon your transgressions: for my name is in him.”
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭23:20-21‬

So when you read the law consider okay that’s why it’s like this

There are many laws against pre marital sex and then There’s this if you read this whole part not only what I quoted , it’s about a girl who marries and it’s discovered that she isn’t a virgin by her husband when they marry and go to consummate , she’s had pre marital sex if this is proven against her then you have this judgement

“then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭22:21‬ ‭KJV‬‬

That’s not Jesus and the gospel , it’s the ordination of that angel , and Moses jidgement As mediator between God and the people of Israel in the desert

“ thou shalt not kill “ God said this indeed Thats always going to be true and God will always agree that killing someone is a great sin

This part though

“And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day. And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp. And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses.”
‭‭Numbers‬ ‭15:32, 35-36‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Is because of this

“Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared.

Beware of him, and obey his voice, provoke him not; for he will not pardon your transgressions: for my name is in him.”

We know that’s just simply not true of Jesus the Lord he pardons transgressions

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭13:8‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Jesus has never changed he’s always been full of grace and forgivness he’s always been like this

The law of Moses says this

“And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.”
‭‭Leviticus‬ ‭20:10‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Jesus when confronted with Moses law and an adulterer

“And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned:( that’s true he said adulterers had to be surely put to death ) but what sayest thou?

This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him.( will he agree to Moses word ? ) But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. ( if that’s what we’re doing all sinners need to be executed straight way )

And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? ( if they would have followed Moses clear directive in the law to kill the adulterers he could never have been saved )

hath no man condemned thee? ( because he didn’t allow Moses judgement to pass upon her the adulterer )

She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: ( Moses law does indeed many times over condemn any adulterer there is no place to repent and be saved ) go, and sin no more.

Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. ( Jesus is the one to follow his word is the light God promised it saves people like the adulterer there )

The Pharisees therefore said unto him, Thou bearest record of thyself; thy record is not true.”
‭‭John‬ ‭8:3, 5-7, 9-13‬ ‭KJV‬‬

the difference dear sister is this part is real when you investigate it in tbe ot

“Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions,

till the seed ( Jesus ) should come to whom the promise was made;

and it was ordained by angels

in the hand of a mediator.( Moses )

Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but

God is one.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:19-20‬ ‭KJV‬‬

god is one the New Testament is God the father, annointing The son of God , with the holy spirit of God so God is ordaining it , he is mediating it , and he’s giving his spirit to empower us in it

the law is an angels ordination given to him by God , and Moses intercession on Sinai when they worshipped the calf he saved them from destruction by offering his life and soul to die for them and with them moses Became mediator and he was given by God authority to make judgements himself , the angel is not going to be forgiving it’s clearly said that explains why the law is different it won’t forgive sins it demands a death penalty of most any serious transgression just once

It’s like that because of the ordination and mediation of Moses and the angels it’s not the father son and holy ghost like the gospel God is one “ fs her son and Holy Ghost “

Its just a new and better testament

a Thou shalt have no other gods “ God said that

then the people made an idol and they worshipped the idol

No one could change Moses word

Jesus mediated a new covenant when he fulfilled the prophecies in the law he spoke Gods words of life in the gospel

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
There's a lot of stuff going on in translation, and I'm not really 100% on this but, to me it looks like these guys might just have been fornicating. I say this because... I think it doesn't actually say "divorce". They are simply 'sent away' without a certificate of divorce, because they don't need one, because they aren't properly married to begin with.

Jun 11, 2023
Blik - God does (since Moses) allow divorce in The Old Testament.

Deu 24,1: When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.

The priests that returned from Babylon had married with heden women, which is a sin for a priest. They therefore were forced to quit the sin, and divorce them - to be able to continue as a priest. Still - this allowance to divorce was only for a period of time.

Matt 19,8: He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

As this text says: from the beginning (before Moses), it was not allowed to divorce.

This allowance continues until Jesus - when he confines, and gives a new bidding:

Matt 19,9: And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

It is therefore still allowed to get divorced (when the other part fornicates) - but: The man or woman who divorces, will have to live single and in celibacy until the former partner dies. Then he/she will be free to marry an other person.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Blik - God does (since Moses) allow divorce in The Old Testament.

Deu 24,1: When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.

The priests that returned from Babylon had married with heden women, which is a sin for a priest. They therefore were forced to quit the sin, and divorce them - to be able to continue as a priest. Still - this allowance to divorce was only for a period of time.

Matt 19,8: He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

As this text says: from the beginning (before Moses), it was not allowed to divorce.

This allowance continues until Jesus - when he confines, and gives a new bidding:

Matt 19,9: And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

It is therefore still allowed to get divorced (when the other part fornicates) - but: The man or woman who divorces, will have to live single and in celibacy until the former partner dies. Then he/she will be free to marry an other person.
amen 1 Corinthians chapter seven elaborates and shows details and applicable intricacies great chapter regarding marriage and divorce and our faith

There’s also this aspect the apostle Paul explained later building on what you’ve said and concluded correctly there that Jesus taught as a foundation

Paul tells us if one spouse is a believer and the non believer departs and divorces from the marriage , the believer is no longer than bound to them. Building and elaborating on what the lord said

“And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace. For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

( then Paul explains a lot more regarding the subject )

But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord: but he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.

There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband.

And this I speak for your own profit; not that I may cast a snare upon you, but for that which is comely, and that ye may attend upon the Lord without distraction.

( Then one more point that remarriage is permitted )
The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord. ( she has to remarry a believer of her husband dies )

But she is happier if she so abide, after my judgment: and I think also that I have the Spirit of God.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭7:13-16, 32-35, 39-40‬ ‭

this wasn’t Paul saying generally “ it’s better to not be married “ if one reads the whole chapter he’s discussing people who make getting married most important and can’t be complete without it

He makes the points if we come to Christ and are called when we’re single maybe Gods calling a single person to do something for him and if we’re married when called maybe he’s calling both husband and wife like with Priscilla and Aquila

“Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife. But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you. But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none; and they that weep, as though they wept not; and they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not; and they that buy, as though they possessed not; and they that use this world, as not abusing it: for the fashion of this world passeth away.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭7:27-31‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Paul says there in that “ inordain theae thoughts in all churches but then also he explains “ if you decide to get married It doesn’t then mean you’ve sinned . He’s just saying sometimes it’s better to remain single because you can just get up and go serve the lord where he calls , but sometimes having a family doesn’t allow that but those folks can do ministry the single folks can’t in the same manner and way

Jun 11, 2023
amen 1 Corinthians chapter seven elaborates and shows details and applicable intricacies great chapter regarding marriage and divorce and our faith

There’s also this aspect the apostle Paul explained later building on what you’ve said and concluded correctly there that Jesus taught as a foundation

Paul tells us if one spouse is a believer and the non believer departs and divorces from the marriage , the believer is no longer than bound to them. Building and elaborating on what the lord said

“And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace. For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

( then Paul explains a lot more regarding the subject )

But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord: but he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.

There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband.

And this I speak for your own profit; not that I may cast a snare upon you, but for that which is comely, and that ye may attend upon the Lord without distraction.

( Then one more point that remarriage is permitted )
The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord. ( she has to remarry a believer of her husband dies )

But she is happier if she so abide, after my judgment: and I think also that I have the Spirit of God.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭7:13-16, 32-35, 39-40‬ ‭

this wasn’t Paul saying generally “ it’s better to not be married “ if one reads the whole chapter he’s discussing people who make getting married most important and can’t be complete without it

He makes the points if we come to Christ and are called when we’re single maybe Gods calling a single person to do something for him and if we’re married when called maybe he’s calling both husband and wife like with Priscilla and Aquila

“Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife. But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you. But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none; and they that weep, as though they wept not; and they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not; and they that buy, as though they possessed not; and they that use this world, as not abusing it: for the fashion of this world passeth away.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭7:27-31‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Paul says there in that “ inordain theae thoughts in all churches but then also he explains “ if you decide to get married It doesn’t then mean you’ve sinned . He’s just saying sometimes it’s better to remain single because you can just get up and go serve the lord where he calls , but sometimes having a family doesn’t allow that but those folks can do ministry the single folks can’t in the same manner and way
God does not want us to divorce. He wants man and woman to live together - and since the new testament, the rule is this: If they do divorce, they are doing a sin.

Proof:

Matt 19,6: Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
Mark 10,9: What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

The Bible does not speak with two tounges. The example from Ezra is The Old Testament, and the rule is changed since Jesus.

Many do not like this bidding: If two divorce, they are still counted for as married - until one of them dies. They will therefore not be able to remarry in a church that teaches God's true law and gospel, until their true partner is dead. Then they will be able to remarry.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
God does not want us to divorce. He wants man and woman to live together - and since the new testament, the rule is this: If they do divorce, they are doing a sin.

Proof:

Matt 19,6: Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
Mark 10,9: What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

The Bible does not speak with two tounges. The example from Ezra is The Old Testament, and the rule is changed since Jesus.

Many do not like this bidding: If two divorce, they are still counted for as married - until one of them dies. They will therefore not be able to remarry in a church that teaches God's true law and gospel, until their true partner is dead. Then they will be able to remarry.
ahh yeah I agree 🙂so who said this and is this Christian doctrine or not ?

When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her:

then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭24:1-3‬ ‭KJV‬‬

That’s the old testement foven through Moses to israel there should be no argument there right ? But what happens when Jesus is asked about this ?

“They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭19:7-9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

if I hear and obey Moses word about marriage and divorce I’m going to commit adultery according to Jesus the lord

the right terminology of what I’m saying isn’t that there are “ two tongues “ what I’m saying is there are two testaments d th y are very different just like the example I’ve shown you here

moses law says “ if you get married and then later don’t want to be married anymore to your wife she falls out of favor with you divorce her for any reason you decide send her away and she may remarry another man “

Jesus says in the gospel “ no one is to divorce but for the one cause of fornication , and if you divorce and remarry your conmiting adultery “

It’s just a basic observation just like the prophets said the messiah old speak a new word a new covenant made to save sinners and bring them to repentance and righteousness rather than condemn them to death

The old testement law of Moses is this

“Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions,

till the seed ( Jesus ) should come to whom the promise was made;

and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:19‬ ‭KJV‬‬

the gospel is the father ordaining the son as mediator and filling believers with his spirit it’s not the same at all