Is God masculine or feminine?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Rapturechris

Nov 28, 2018
The Masculine God the Father.

In an age where its now becoming an offence to refer to God as dad be rest assured he is our daddy.

Certain Catholic schools in Brisbane Australia have removed the term Him or Father from prayers and other forms of education. Some politically correct Arch Bishops believe God is gender neutral.

The Bible has much to say about God as he wants himself to be known and worshiped. So, what does God have to say about himself?
Before I get into it I would like to share just from creation and God's handy work how God reveals himself.

Firstly, if we look at creation, God himself is a great master craftsman and a builder. There are female builders in society but have you ever wondered why men are naturally drawn to it? Its not just because they are more powerful with muscles needed! Its because we have certain DNA that is drawn to building and creating!

When God created the world from the Biblical account he created Adam and Eve. God says in Genesis that he will create them in his own image. That doesn’t mean God is a man or a woman in the image of his creation. It meant that the spiritual characteristics and Gods form is in the likeness of man but at another level beyond any comparison.

Throughout the Bible God stays hidden. There are some stories of God showing his hand, wrestling with Jacob and other accounts including being in the fiery furnace with Daniel.

However, God actually revealing himself is hidden until Jesus Christ comes on the scene.
When Jesus arrives he straight away starts to explain to people more details about God that have been kept secret until his arrival.

Not only does he start to explain in more depth about God but he also points to the scriptures and makes clear that God is a… he.
In Isaiah God is explained as Prince of Peace and Almighty Father.
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Isaiah 9:6

Above we see Isaiah making distinctions about Jesus and his coming. Not only does Isaiah call him a son but he also calls him a God, Everlasting father and a prince of peace. Not a princess.
An argument against this could be that God came in the form of a man, prince and everlasting father as the Son but in real terms it was only to relate to us and his form is of the contrary?!

In hindsight it could be looked at as a strong argument which most progressives and politically correct people who believe otherwise think.

There are arguments for God being more of a woman with certain terms in the Bible portraying God to have motherly characteristics. For example, in Luke 15:8 Jesus describes God:
“Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Doesn’t she light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbours together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.’ In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

So here we see God being represented like a woman and his friends are the angles.
There are many verses in the Bible that may explain God is this way. However, when it comes to the crunch and the metaphors are removed Jesus clearly describes God as his Father outside of the metaphors.

Jesus not only describes God as Father but as “him” just the way the Jesus is a man God is a Father.
An example of this is John 5:26
“For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself.”
Here if we have a close look at this verse Jesus calls himself a “he” and he calls God a “he”.

The same way that Jesus looks at himself as a “he”, he looks at God as a “he”.
Not only does he call God Father but he also calls God a “he”. All the way through the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John Jesus mentions God as Father and a “he”. The same Jesus speaks about John the Baptist as a he, he also speaks of God as a he using the same words.

Throughout the New Testament, the word “himself “and “he” is used to describe men and God more than in any other time in history. Jesus finally clarifies that God has a masculine form and character. The fact that Jesus is the only one that has seen God and claims to be God wraps up the argument convincingly.
God wants us to know him. Not as some genderless alien being that we cannot relate to but a God who knows us and created us in his image.

Even through the final book of Revelation God explains himself to be the groom and the Church his bride. We are not the King being married to a queen but a bride being married to the groom.
In these last days the enemy wants to confuse us by taking away our revelations of who God is, what he values and what he says about himself. It will try to twist things around so we are confused and led astray with the ultimate goal of rejecting God and his grace and truths.

The same way mankind came from a single man as Paul explains in 1 Cor 15:45 so we also come from the second Adam and a life-giving spirit.
So, it is written: “The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit.
Paul explains here that our rebirth as Christians comes from a second Adam that is Jesus Christ. Just as the Father created Adam in his own image.

And we all know that Adam and Jesus are men. Whether God has a specific gender form unlike Jesus is yet to be known however we know for sure that he finally makes himself known through the man Jesus Christ and presents himself as “himself”.

Attachments

S

Stranger36147

If I had to guess....I would say both. Since men and women are both made in God's image and likeness, it seems reasonable (at least to me) that God has both male and female characteristics.

So....that's my two cents. :)

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
If I had to guess....I would say both. Since men and women are both made in God's image and likeness, it seems reasonable (at least to me) that God has both male and female characteristics. So....that's my two cents. :)
Hi Stranger, I suppose the question needs to be, in what way(s) were we made in God's image? If it means (as the Bible tells us) that we were made "upright" .. Ecclesiastes 7:29, to be holy, righteous, loving, etc., then that has nothing to do with gender, be it male or female.

@Rapturechris should always be considered, because the Persons of the Godhead are always referred to as masculine in the Bible, whether in the OT or the New.

~Duet

theanointedwinner

Nov 6, 2018
God is male

Yet, love joy peace kindness gentleness

Jesus is so tender-hearted that can seem feminine to some people, and my profile picture look etheral as well

And I'm a brother in Christ

Let's define masculine or feminine, else it's relative to opinion and it is in the eye of the beholder

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
If I had to guess....I would say both. Since men and women are both made in God's image and likeness, it seems reasonable (at least to me) that God has both male and female characteristics.
There is no need to guess. The Bible makes it crystal clear that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are ALL MASCULINE.

As to women being made in the image of God, that is not a reference to gender but to personhood. All human beings are made in the image and likeness of God in that they have a mind, a heart, and a will.

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Genesis 1:27 KJV

For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
1 Corinthians 11:7 KJV

God has both male and female characteristics like Adam who has both male and female hormones. But Adam is still a distinct male, not both. If he is both or in between, he would be a homosexual.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
God has both male and female characteristics like Adam who has both male and female hormones. But Adam is still a distinct male, not both. If he is both or in between, he would be a homosexual.
"Homosexual" denotes one's preference for a sexual partner being of the same gender. Someone with both male and female genetalia is a hermaphrodite... and we all have both masculine and feminine hormones (testosterone and estrogen respectively) :)

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
@Rapturechris should always be considered, because the Persons of the Godhead are always referred to as masculine in the Bible, whether in the OT or the New.
I, of course, meant that what @Rapturechris said in his OP should be considered when discussing this subject..........

~Deut

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
"Homosexual" denotes one's preference for a sexual partner being of the same gender. Someone with both male and female genetalia is a hermaphrodite... and we all have both masculine and feminine hormones (testosterone and estrogen respectively) :)
A masculine pretending to be feminine and vice versa is someone in between or both. He has the best of both worlds. A male body but pretends or claims to have a female soul. Niether hot nor cold. Not a distinct male or female. Nowadays you can't easily distinguish a real woman from a transgender, except when they talk. I get confused if I should address these men who dress as a woman, as sir or maam. The distinction between man and woman is gone. That is why God called it an abomination.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
The Masculine God the Father.

In an age where its now becoming an offence to refer to God as dad be rest assured he is our daddy.

Certain Catholic schools in Brisbane Australia have removed the term Him or Father from prayers and other forms of education. Some politically correct Arch Bishops believe God is gender neutral.

The Bible has much to say about God as he wants himself to be known and worshiped. So, what does God have to say about himself?
Before I get into it I would like to share just from creation and God's handy work how God reveals himself.

Firstly, if we look at creation, God himself is a great master craftsman and a builder. There are female builders in society but have you ever wondered why men are naturally drawn to it? Its not just because they are more powerful with muscles needed! Its because we have certain DNA that is drawn to building and creating!

When God created the world from the Biblical account he created Adam and Eve. God says in Genesis that he will create them in his own image. That doesn’t mean God is a man or a woman in the image of his creation. It meant that the spiritual characteristics and Gods form is in the likeness of man but at another level beyond any comparison.

Throughout the Bible God stays hidden. There are some stories of God showing his hand, wrestling with Jacob and other accounts including being in the fiery furnace with Daniel.

However, God actually revealing himself is hidden until Jesus Christ comes on the scene.
When Jesus arrives he straight away starts to explain to people more details about God that have been kept secret until his arrival.

Not only does he start to explain in more depth about God but he also points to the scriptures and makes clear that God is a… he.
In Isaiah God is explained as Prince of Peace and Almighty Father.
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Isaiah 9:6

Above we see Isaiah making distinctions about Jesus and his coming. Not only does Isaiah call him a son but he also calls him a God, Everlasting father and a prince of peace. Not a princess.
An argument against this could be that God came in the form of a man, prince and everlasting father as the Son but in real terms it was only to relate to us and his form is of the contrary?!

In hindsight it could be looked at as a strong argument which most progressives and politically correct people who believe otherwise think.

There are arguments for God being more of a woman with certain terms in the Bible portraying God to have motherly characteristics. For example, in Luke 15:8 Jesus describes God:
“Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Doesn’t she light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbours together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.’ In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

So here we see God being represented like a woman and his friends are the angles.
There are many verses in the Bible that may explain God is this way. However, when it comes to the crunch and the metaphors are removed Jesus clearly describes God as his Father outside of the metaphors.

Jesus not only describes God as Father but as “him” just the way the Jesus is a man God is a Father.
An example of this is John 5:26
“For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself.”
Here if we have a close look at this verse Jesus calls himself a “he” and he calls God a “he”.

The same way that Jesus looks at himself as a “he”, he looks at God as a “he”.
Not only does he call God Father but he also calls God a “he”. All the way through the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John Jesus mentions God as Father and a “he”. The same Jesus speaks about John the Baptist as a he, he also speaks of God as a he using the same words.

Throughout the New Testament, the word “himself “and “he” is used to describe men and God more than in any other time in history. Jesus finally clarifies that God has a masculine form and character. The fact that Jesus is the only one that has seen God and claims to be God wraps up the argument convincingly.
God wants us to know him. Not as some genderless alien being that we cannot relate to but a God who knows us and created us in his image.

Even through the final book of Revelation God explains himself to be the groom and the Church his bride. We are not the King being married to a queen but a bride being married to the groom.
In these last days the enemy wants to confuse us by taking away our revelations of who God is, what he values and what he says about himself. It will try to twist things around so we are confused and led astray with the ultimate goal of rejecting God and his grace and truths.

The same way mankind came from a single man as Paul explains in 1 Cor 15:45 so we also come from the second Adam and a life-giving spirit.
So, it is written: “The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit.
Paul explains here that our rebirth as Christians comes from a second Adam that is Jesus Christ. Just as the Father created Adam in his own image.

And we all know that Adam and Jesus are men. Whether God has a specific gender form unlike Jesus is yet to be known however we know for sure that he finally makes himself known through the man Jesus Christ and presents himself as “himself”.
This is an interesting question.
The Father is masculine, because He is Holy, unapproachable, and bound by rules and passes judgement.
Though His heart is loving, He can but implement the very essence of who He is.

The feminine aspect of God only comes into force when people accept Him into their lives and work
through repentance, sorrow, love and righteousness. We then see the caring, agreeable side of God, which
we like to the feminine traits of behaviour.

The problem with absolute purity, is rejection is always inevitable, there is no compromise possible.
The compromise is providing the way through the cross and repentance, faith in Jesus and following.

If one puts agreeableness above purity, you end up in destroying purity and holiness, which destroys
the Lord Himself. So this fight unfortunately has no compromise, and the Father is always the Father.

Apr 15, 2017
God is known in masculine terms for He is greater than people, and the angels, and is referred to as Father, and Him, and that is how we should address Him.

That is why angels have masculine names for they are greater than people in power until the saints have their glorified body then they are greater than angels, for they have a glorified body like Jesus' glorified body, and the angels are ministering spirits, and they desire to look in to the salvation of the saints, for it was all made for people starting with the man Christ Jesus, God's personal human body, and the angels assist in their salvation.

But gender only applies to the natural realm, not the spiritual realm, as far as a substance that is part of them, and there is no female saints, or female angels in heaven, but they are all the same with no gender between them.

That is why Jesus said in heaven the saints do not marry, but will be like unto the angels, for the angels have no gender, but are all the same, and the saints in heaven have no gender, but are all the same.

Which is why the Bible says in the Lord there is no male and female, but they are all as one, and the same, for the only thing that separates a man and a woman is the flesh, but the soul, and spirit, are the same, and in heaven they put off the flesh, and the glorified body is the same for both.

God is a Spirit and has no physical aspect as part of Him, except His human body, glorified, the man Christ Jesus, but that body is still not an actual substance of the Spirit, and not part of the Spirit, but a visible representation of the Spirit.

And God can put down people, and judge, but can also have tender mercy, and love, so God has the attributes of being aggressive to put down His enemies, and also to lift up, and love His friends.

But I would still say God is masculine for He is greater, but He does not have any gender as a part of Him apart from His Spirit, like a saint that has flesh as part of their physical makeup, but their essence is a soul.

And there is no counter Spirit to God that could be considered female, being a male God, and a female God, but there is only God who has both aggressive, and loving attributes.

God will never bow down to a person, or an angel, for He is the greatest, and has more power than anyone, and can assemble, and disassemble physical matter, and is an omnipresent Spirit, so He would be referred to as masculine, Father, and Him, but can also be kind, and loving, and of tender mercy, but He is not weaker, or bowing down to anybody in His kind, and loving ways.

But no matter the attributes of God, aggressive towards His enemies, or loving towards His friends, He will not bow down to anybody, and cannot be beaten, so He is masculine, and should be referred to as Father, and Him.

And to tell the truth it would scare me like crazy to ever call God a female, a she, or mother, and since it would scare me, I would never say it.

If we refer to our physical male parent as Father, masculine in that term, that may be beaten in a fight, or submit to the boss, and submit to his father, how much more shall we call God our Father, and Him, who shall never be beaten, and will never submit to anyone.

For it seems like masculine, and feminine, on earth, are related to how a person actually conducts themselves, as well as their physical makeup, the flesh.

But with God He is always referred to as masculine, for it does not matter if He is aggressive, or loving, He will never bow down, and never submit to anyone, and can never be beaten, and if you go against Him you will be beaten, and can do nothing against Him.

So He is considered Father, Him, masculine, and can be no other way, especially since He referred to Himself in that way.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
It seems that we're trying to explain God in reference to ourselves. We are made in the image of God, not the other way around.

God is not "male" and God is not "female" because both are biological categories. God is not biological.

God made man in His image; male and female He created them.

Both "male" and "female" humans are made in the image of God. God doesn't have "masculine" qualities and "feminine" qualities; rather, men have some qualities that are like God's, and women have some qualities that are like God's. A few of these qualities are generally common to only one gender, but most of our qualities overlap.

Dec 12, 2013

UMMMM............man was made in the image of GOD, the woman was made from MAN..........suppose you go read about MAN not covering his head and a woman commanded to cover her head and explain the reason it gives.....

Dec 12, 2013
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Genesis 1:27 KJV

For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
1 Corinthians 11:7 KJV

Would that not be asexual instead of homosexual.........??

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Good grief. Next we'll be calling God a 'non binary'

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Good grief. Next we'll be calling God a 'non binary'
Wait a minute, that's exactly what some of the posts are saying...

Non-binary, also known as genderqueer, is a spectrum of gender identities that are not exclusively masculine or feminine‍—‌identities that are outside the gender binary and cisnormativity. Non-binary people may express a combination of masculinity and femininity, or neither, in their gender expression. -Wiki.

C'mon Christians let's wake up and stop being conformed to the world's view.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Well..God does refer to himself as a He which is masculine, but the holy spirit is often referred to in the feminine sense ...in proverbs wisdom is a woman.

I think God encompasses both but Jesus relates to Him as Father to son.

As for catholic churches well...they often get things mixed up so no surprises there.

I always refer to God as male not she or it because hes a Father to me. Thats how He relates to us and wants to be known.