Is horseracing cruel to horses?

• Thread starter morefaithrequired
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

morefaithrequired

Big debate here in Australia. After a doco on how many racehorses end up in the knackery. Including ones who earnt a lot of money for owners and trainers.
Use of the whip? still used in Australia.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
Use of a whip? That is absolutely animal cruelty. Racing a horse to give it exercise in itself I don’t think is wrong. Often what goes with it can be: gambling, fixing races, ect.

M

morefaithrequired

Use of a whip? That is absolutely animal cruelty. Racing a horse to give it exercise in itself I don’t think is wrong. Often what goes with it can be: gambling, fixing races, ect.
I grew up on this as being acceptable. My brother owned and trained horses. Now I am starting to question the whole racing industry. Horses do seem to get a bad deal.
I used to gamble on horse racing so I was supporting the industry.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Why do former race horses end up at the knackers instead of simply being put out to pasture?

M

morefaithrequired

Why do former race horses end up at the knackers instead of simply being put out to pasture?
thats the question rveryone is asking now.
by the way big race here today called The Melbourne Cup. Almost a national holiday. most stop work to watch on tv .

M

morefaithrequired

Owners and trainers sell their horses when they finish racing. they dont ask questions as to what happens to them after that. out of sight out of mind. pontius pilate comes to mind.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I'm inclined to say no because people have taken animal cruelty to absurd dimensions in other respects.

In other words: I like taking trips to Sea World and I will ally with horse race enthusiasts if it means I can have a barbecue sandwich next to an orca.

M

morefaithrequired

The Green Party are having an impact now. Ive always thought they were out of touch idealists.
The way we sympathise with sharks for instance at the expense of swimmers.
But maybe we need to take some of their points seriously.
Im caving in to the left which is unusual for me these days.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
People tend to anthropomorphize animals.

A biologist once told me the easiest metric to go by is this- if a creature is eating and mating, it's a happy creature and there are no big issues.

They don't sit around all day and mope about what life would be like if they could just leap from their cage, go to night school, and become a corporate attorney in five years.

The Green Party are having an impact now. Ive always thought they were out of touch idealists.
The way we sympathise with sharks for instance at the expense of swimmers.
But maybe we need to take some of their points seriously.
Im caving in to the left which is unusual for me these days.

M

morefaithrequired

Activists do seem like party poopers. Raining on everyones parade.
There are 2 sides to this story.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
People tend to anthropomorphize animals.

A biologist once told me the easiest metric to go by is this- if a creature is eating and mating, it's a happy creature and there are no big issues.

They don't sit around all day and mope about what life would be like if they could just leap from their cage, go to night school, and become a corporate attorney in five years.
Many years ago, long before my conversion, I started reading a book by C.S. Lewis that I put down in disgust when he asserted that animals do not feel pain. The fact that animal cruelty has been taken to absurd dimensions in other respects should not prevent us from doing what little we can to stop our part in it.

M

morefaithrequired

we have more empathy for animals than human beings. And this applies to me too. I can feel more compassion for my dog than most of my siblings.

M

morefaithrequired

Whereas in my parents day there was more compassion for human beings imo.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
we have more empathy for animals than human beings. And this applies to me too. I can feel more compassion for my dog than most of my siblings.
You probably have a closer relationship with your dog. It lives with you, right? And your siblings? Where are they?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Whereas in my parents day there was more compassion for human beings imo.
The world seemed a kinder gentler place in our parent's generation/our youth. Not to say atrocities were not happening, vis-à-vis man's inhumanity to man. That has been going on for thousands of years. But things have definitely changed, some things for the better but overall? Um, no.

M

morefaithrequired

You probably have a closer relationship with your dog. It lives with you, right? And your siblings? Where are they?
nowhere near me ....thank God
.....animals dont challenge us or disagree with us. and they rarely complain. much easier to deal with. we dont have to negotiate..its mostly on our terms
whereas human beings are hard work, comparitively speaking...we are becoming lazy self centred and selfish. change that "we" to "I"

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Where did he write that? CS Lewis has said some stupid things, but that's pretty wild.

Many years ago, long before my conversion, I started reading a book by C.S. Lewis that I put down in disgust when he asserted that animals do not feel pain.

I agree with you on this point of prudence. I'm a firm believer in animal cruelty laws. I'm guessing we disagree on what's considered animal cruelty.

The fact that animal cruelty has been taken to absurd dimensions in other respects should not prevent us from doing what little we can to stop our part in it.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Have you ever read Black Beauty?

One time my workplace decided they would go to the races for their end of year work do but I didnt go as quit before that, but I dont think I would have wanted to go anyway. The only reason people get excited is cos they betting money on it i.e gambling.

Why not just watch proper equestrian events instead the horses get treated better, if not as show ponies.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Your dog always act excited and happy to see you. Not so with most humans all the time...