Is it a sin to drink alcohol

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
So basically not really drinking much of it then. Might as well just drink water. Not enough water is probably much of our problems.
Yep, my neighbors now elder in my church, was drink to much before repent and he have problem with his liver, now he use transplant liver.

HeraldtheNews

Apr 26, 2012
God's word has much to say about the consumption of fermented and unfermented wine. In ancient times wine could be fermented grape juice mixed with water, thus making it somewhat diluted. Fermented wine could also be made without adding water and making it more intoxicating. The Bible often describes this type of wine as "strong drink". Without question the Bible condemns drinking to the point where a person is drunk. As Christians we are commanded to not let our bodies be enslaved by anything (1 Corinthians 6: 12) and getting drunk with alcohol would certainly fall under this category. Christians should not do anything that hinders the Holy Spirit's influence on us. A person who consumes alcohol to the point where they are drunk has let the alcohol influence their decision making instead of being "filled by the spirit". Alcohol by itself is not tainted by sin, it is the drunkenness and addiction to it that a Christian must absolutely stay away from. Scripture does not forbid Christians from drinking beer, wine, or anything else containing alcohol in it. As a matter of fact, there are times the Bible speaks of alcohol in a positive light.

Ephesians 5:18 "be not drunk with wine where in excess; but be filled with the Holy Spirit." This passage of scripture is warning us to not be "drunk" or drinking to the point where it is to much or "excess". Drinking to much leads to intoxication, which leads to bad decisions. God wants us to be filled by the Holy Spirit which leads and guides us into making better decisions in life.

Exodus 32:6-7 The people were so intoxicated with wine that the Lord said, "they have corrupted themselves."
Proverbs 20:1 "Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise." To be led astray is to be led by the intoxication of wine, where God wants us to be lead by the Holy Spirit.

Proverbs 31:4-7 verse 4 says that it is not for kings to drink wine. If the king is drunk and is under its influence, he may forget the law, his morals, or himself. A drunken king will use bad judgement when making important decisions concerning his kingdom. A king who stays drunk all the time cannot lead his people or country. Now notice in verse 6 this passage is actually giving permission to drink intoxicating wine. "strong drink" to those who are about to die and may need it for pain and "wine" who have a heavy heart and is afflicted with anxiety, nervousness, or something troubling them emotionally.

Final thoughts
It is incorrect to say that wine in the Bible was just simply grape juice, but equally incorrect to say that wine was fermented the same as modern day. It has been clinically proven that a glass of red wine soothes the stomach. The drunken state is what the Bible most warns about. The fact is, many people have a problem with having just "one glass" of red wine and want to keep going until it is too late. They become enslaved by the alcohol and do and say things they normally wouldn't. For these people it is a good idea to stay completely away from any kind of alcohol beverage. Keep in mind, back in ancient times the water was not very clean. Without modern sanitation, the water was filled with bacteria, viruses, and all kinds of contaminants. It is still true today in some third world countries where immediately after you step off an airplane they tell you not to drink the water! Regarding alcohol and its effects it has on people, the easy temptation to consume more than one can handle, and due to the possibility causing another brother or sister stumbling in their walk with Christ, it may be best for a Christian to abstain from drinking all together.
God bless everyone!
This is a good summary of wine in the Bible. One pastor said that fermentation was not allowed in the old Judaic scriptures in the temple, which he used to defend his view that wine was not fermented in temple ritual, and Jesus meant, "fruit of the vine," to mean fruit juice.

It would be helpful if someone could check with a Jewish teacher on that. My response to him was that how would they store fruit juice without it fermenting?

They likely had both like we do. Fruit juice, and wine. And also they mixed three parts water with wine to prevent drunkenness from what I understand, which could also sanitize it?

But, Jesus turned water into wine at the wedding at Cana, at the request of His Mother, Mary, who was in charge of the servants saying, (a command or order that one in charge would make: "do whatever He tells you.") The Lord turned the water into the finest wine, which was clearly fermented, and which as you say was symbolic of the Holy Spirit, and not to be drunk in excess as the people were accused of in 2 Peter? or Acts? and the groom? Or master of ceremonies? Said the wine was the finest. Also he made mention of sometimes at weddings people had "well drunk" or not drunkenness, but had been drinking wine for a while. But it may have been diluted to prevent drunkenness. Then they were given the finest wine. But too drink in excess a gift of the finest wine would dishonor the gift. So, one or two slow drinks characterizes mature and responsible people, which could, and should include Kings (leaders) so they don't make reckless decisions. Also, Paul said a Deacon, or Deaconess, should be responsible and "not given to drink wine in excess."

Also, Paul said to Timothy to "take a little wine for his frequent infirmities, including possible stomach issues from stress, and over fasting. It sounds like Timothy was too hard on himself. Timothy also wanted a wife, and may have married, but Paul cautioned against it, but did not forbid him to marry, just to "flee youthful desires"). Timothy likely had every woman in town wanting to marry him! But being the wife of an Apostle is best for a lady who is also an Apostle, or well experienced in spiritual warfare, and the Christian faith, or chosen by God.

7seasrekeyed

="WithinReason, post: 4199719, member: 294332"]Strawman. Red-herring. I never said it was my thread, or OP. I never even intimated such.

aha...so that's how you want to play it. ha. you called him to order. AND I never said it was your thread so you are the one with the red herring that is now dayglow pink and all the other fish are scared of it

Surely you may, and will. Strawman again. I never stated that you couldn't, or shouldn't or even wouldn't.

why am I now thinking of the wizard of oz? must be your influence

Yes, I did notice the complete distraction from every OP that has ever gone on in this wild west, and every man did that which was right in his own eyes.

git on yer pony and ride

Yet, I was speaking to a person who was addressing me specifically, upon a point we (the both of us) are discussing together. I am making the point to stay on one point before moving to several others, unrelated to the context of the present text under discussion.

oooooo...two words..public forum. two more words...not a teaching platform...ok that was more than 2 but I don't think it is a red herring

There is a global context to be sure, but presently we are discussing the immediate context of the Deuteronomic text raised.

but is it a salvic issue? (one of the big words in my vocabularies)

As you will.

as I will what?

What you will do was never in question, at least not on my part.

mirror mirror

I am discussing with a specific person about a specific text raised.

those 2 words again

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
One thing at a time. We are presently discussing Deuteronomy, which you brought up. We do not desire to be like the WTS/JW which just throws out a bunch of texts on Deity of Jesus and never gets around to looking at any one in particular.
i thought we covered that. gotcha its poured out.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
One thing at a time. We are presently discussing Deuteronomy, which you brought up. We do not desire to be like the WTS/JW which just throws out a bunch of texts on Deity of Jesus and never gets around to looking at any one in particular.
What's your take on Leviticus?

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
i thought we covered that. gotcha its poured out.
Indeed, it was to be poured out. The alcohol, represented sin.

Deu 29:5 And I have led you forty years in the wilderness: your clothes are not waxen old upon you, and thy shoe is not waxen old upon thy foot.​
Deu 29:6 Ye have not eaten bread, neither have ye drunk wine or strong drink: that ye might know that I am the LORD your God.​

I have an entire study on the text you raised, but if you understood the references and agree with what is written in scripture, we may move on to another text you would like to consider.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Indeed, it was to be poured out. The alcohol, represented sin.

Deu 29:5 And I have led you forty years in the wilderness: your clothes are not waxen old upon you, and thy shoe is not waxen old upon thy foot.Deu 29:6 Ye have not eaten bread, neither have ye drunk wine or strong drink: that ye might know that I am the LORD your God.
so now bread is a representation of sin?

and you think God demands we add sin to every offering? because tainted offerings awash with evil are what He accepts?

probably that's why it has to be without blemish, because you have to add sin to it in order for it to be acceptable and holy?

what a mess.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Did I say that or did scripture say that?
scripture certainly didn't.
scripture says the offerings are not to be made anywhere except the place the LORD chooses to place His name.
which is precisely the reason that 'if it is too far' those under Moses were to exchange their tithes for whatever food and wine their hearts desired, and feast with it, in their own place, rejoicing before the LORD - instead of doing the same at the temple. Deuteronomy 14 verse 23. these tithes were not meant to be burnt offerings, but a feast. the joy of the LORD was not to be withheld on account of distance. hence meat, wine, strong drink. rejoicing.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013

Let no man therefore condemn you in meat and drink
(Colossians 2:16)

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
Let no man therefore condemn you in meat and drink
(Colossians 2:16)
Colossians 2 KJB, parallels Ephesians 2 KJB, and Hebrews 9-10 KJB. The language is the same. The "ordinances" in Colossians 2 deals with "shadows", such as the daily "meat and drink" offerings of a worldly sanctuary and carnal ordinances, the seasonal "feast days", the monthly "new moons", and the year based "sabbaths", in the singular, every 7 and 50th years, as Paul is citing Psalms 98:1-3; and Ezekiel 45:17 KJB with other texts. The Sabbath of the LORD thy God is always called "my [as in God's] sabbaths", and the others in Leviticus 23:4 onward are called "your [the peoples] sabbaths" [Leviticus 26:35 KJB] which are "beside [given in addition to] the sabbaths of the LORD" [Leviticus 23:38 KJB]. The Ten Commandmnents, including the Sabbath of the 4th Commandment, are "light" [Proverbs 6:23, Isaiah 8:20, 51:4 KJB], never a "shadow", are "spiritual" [Romans 7:14 KJB], never "carnal" [Hebrews 9:10 KJB].

Colossians 2:14 - “ordinances”​
Ephesians 2:15 – “law of commandments contained in ordinances”​
Hebrews 9:1 – “ordinances of divine service”​
Hebrews 9:10 – “carnal ordinances”​
Colossians 2:16 – “in meat, or in drink” [offerings, context, see also Ezekiel 45:17, etc]​
Hebrews 9:10 – “meats and drinks” [offerings, context, see also Ezekiel 45:17, etc]​
Colossians 2:12 – “also ye are risen with him”​
Ephesians 2:6 – “raised us up together”​
Colossians 2:16 – “a shadow of things to come”​
Ephesians 2:7 – “in the ages to come”​
Hebrews 9:11 – “of good things to come”​
Hebrews 10:1 – “the law having a shadow of good things to come”, “those sacrifices”, “offered year by year”​
Hebrews 9:9 – “was a figure”​
Hebrews 9:23 – “the patterns”​
Hebrews 9:24 – “the figures”​
Hebrews 10:1 – “not the very image of the things”​
Colossians 2:2 – “riches”​
Colossians 2:3 – “treasures”​
Ephesians 2:7 – “riches”​
Colossians 2:11 – “of the flesh”​
Colossians 2:13 – “flesh”​
Ephesians 2:3 – “flesh ... the flesh”​
Ephesians 2:11 – “in the flesh”​
Ephesians 2:15 – “in his flesh”​
Hebrews 9:13 – “flesh”​
Hebrews 10:20 – “his flesh”​
Colossians 2:14 – “the handwriting of ordinances”​
Ephesians 2:15 – “the law of commandments contained in ordinances”​
Hebrews 9:19 – “Moses ... to the law ... blood ... book”​
Hebrews 9:22 – “by the law ... with blood”​
Colossians 2:11 – “putting off the body of the sins”​
Hebrews 9:26 – “put away sin”​
Hebrews 10:4 – “take away sins”​
Hebrews 10:9 – “He taketh away the first”​

The immediate reference:

“Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:” – Colossians 2:16​

“And it shall be the prince's part to give burnt offerings, and meat offerings, and drink offerings, in the feasts, and in the new moons, and in the sabbaths, in all solemnities of the house of Israel: he shall prepare the sin offering, and the meat offering, and the burnt offering, and the peace offerings, to make reconciliation for the house of Israel.” – Ezekiel 45:17​

[ps. none of the Ten Commandments deal with carnal sacrifices, the context of Ezekiel 45 and its "ordinances" - see vs 14 for example]

The "ordinances" of type:

"ordinances" - Colossians 2:14 (like Passover)​
"carnal" [sacrifices] - Hebrews 9:10​
"worldly" - Hebrews 9:1​
"shadow" - Colossians 2:17​
"to come" [pointing to future, as type to antitype]- Colossians 2:16; Ephesians 2:17; Hebrews 9:11, 10:1​

Now that is incomparable to the Ten Commandments, eternal the Law of God:
"Ten Commandments", "Law of God" - Exodus 34:28; Deuteronomy 4:13, 10:4​
"spiritual" [all of it, obedience by faith and love] - Romans 7:14​
"heaven" - Exodus 20:22​
"light" - Proverbs 6:23; Isaiah 8:20, 51:4; Psalms 119:105​
"Remember" [memorial, past] - Exodus 20:8​

It's easy to ignore the study that I posted on these texts already, which I wrote.

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
Let us consider a very abused and misunderstood text [Deuteronomy 14:26] and see what marvelous light is shining in it on this subject -

And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,Deuteronomy 14:26​

And those which quote this text do so out of its marvelous typological context and even historical setting. They which utilize this text to say that they may drink alcoholic content, do not really understand what they are saying in using this text, for the “strong drink” was not to be consumed by the purchaser, but rather they were to be poured out unto the LORD as a “drink offering” which was associated with the “sin”and “burnt offerings”.

The offerings connected, were the goat, or LORD's Goat and Lamb, etc, which represented Jesus Christ, the sin offering and the pure unblemished offering, which would be offered for the sin of the world, and the wine and strong drink were intimately connected with these. The pure Wine [blood of the grape of the vine] was Christ's pure blood, being poured out for the world, and the Strong Drink, which is alcoholic in content was representative of sin, and the wrath of God being poured out upon Christ Jesus, since He was made to be sin for us, who knew no sin. Those who desire to drink the alcoholic Strong Drink, are in reality saying they will drink down the wrath of God for their own sins.

Let's take a look at all of the texts Deuteronomy 14:2,3,21-26 [and context] which surround this, and know for certainty. Deuteronomy 14, is in the same context as Deuteronomy 12, and the giving of the delineations between that which was Holy and that which was not, between that which was Clean and that which was Unclean.

These are the statutes and judgments, which ye shall observe to do in the land, which the LORD God of thy fathers giveth thee to possess it, all the days that ye live upon the earth. Deuteronomy 12:1​
Ye shall utterly destroy all the places, wherein the nations which ye shall possess served their gods, upon the high mountains, and upon the hills, and under every green tree: Deuteronomy 12:2​
And ye shall overthrow their altars, and break their pillars, and burn their groves with fire; and ye shall hew down the graven images of their gods, and destroy the names of them out of that place. Deuteronomy 12:3​
Ye shall not do so unto the LORD your God. Deuteronomy 12:4​
But unto the place which the LORD your God shall choose out of all your tribes to put his name there, evenunto his habitation shall ye seek, and thither thou shalt come: Deuteronomy 12:5​
And thither ye shall bring your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, and your tithes, and heave offerings of your hand, and your vows, and your freewill offerings, and the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks: Deuteronomy 12:6​
And there ye shall eat before the LORD your God, and ye shall rejoice in all that ye put your hand unto, ye and your households, wherein the LORD thy God hath blessed thee. Deuteronomy 12:7​

Notice now specifically in Deuteronomy 12:8, that the Children of God, were never to do after the manner of the heathen nations that they were to dispossess, and neither were they to do what was right in their own eyes:

Ye shall not do after allthe things that we do here this day, every man whatsoever isright in his own eyes. Deuteronomy 12:8​

The people that worshipped the false gods in the land they were to possess, would also offer drink offerings [Isaiah 57:6; Jeremiah 19:13; 32:29; 44:19; Ezekiel 20:28] to their gods [devils: Deuteronomy 32:17] in a perversion of the type given by God, but they would also drink of it, like unto Belial, Bacchus, etc, for instance see the case of Hannah, and the strong drink associated with Belial, in connection, and the pouring out of her soul before the Lord, a type:

And it came to pass, as she continued praying before the LORD, that Eli marked her mouth. 1 Samuel 1:12​
Now Hannah, she spake in her heart; only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard: therefore Eli thought she had been drunken. 1 Samuel 1:13​
And Eli said unto her, How long wilt thou be drunken? put away thy wine from thee. 1 Samuel 1:14​
And Hannah answered and said, No, my lord, I ama woman of a sorrowful spirit: I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but have poured out my soul before the LORD. 1 Samuel 1:15​
Count not thine handmaid for a daughter of Belial: for out of the abundance of my complaint and grief have I spoken hitherto. 1 Samuel 1:16​

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
Let us consider a very abused and misunderstood text [Deuteronomy 14:26] and see what marvelous light is shining in it on this subject -

Continuing with the Deuteronomy 12 context:
For ye are not as yet come to the rest and to the inheritance, which the LORD your God giveth you. Deuteronomy 12:9​
But when ye go over Jordan, and dwell in the land which the LORD your God giveth you to inherit, and when he giveth you rest from all your enemies round about, so that ye dwell in safety; Deuteronomy 12:10​

In connection with this, God made known about the “tithes”, which was never fermented, never alcoholic, but always the Best and Firstfruits of the Land/Crops, Firstlings of the flock, etc. He also makes known about the “vows”, and those things “vow[ed]” by the people did not then any longer belong unto them for their own use, but was dedicated unto the LORD and whatsoever He would use it for – Temple, Levites, Offerings, etc.

Then there shall be a place which the LORD your God shall choose to cause his name to dwell there; thither shall ye bring all that I command you; your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, your tithes, and the heave offering of your hand, and all your choice vows which ye vow unto the LORD: Deuteronomy 12:11​

Further, we see that God spake that they should “rejoice” [vs 7 also], and this word “rejoice” means to be glad, to gladden or to be joyful [see Newly Married: Deuteronomy 24:5; fresh juice of the grape, of the vine: Judges 9:19; Psalms 104:15; Ecclesiastes 10:9; in salvation: 1 Samuel 2:1; Psalms 40:16; 53:6; connection with sacrifices and peace offerings: 1 Samuel 11:15; 1 Chronicles 29:9; Nehemiah 12:43; in those that seek the LORD: 1 Chronicles 16:10; Psalms 5:11; 32:11; in the Good and Perfect, Holy & Just Law of God: Psalms 19:8;in partaking of that which the LORD hath provided in Holiness: Ecclesiastes 8:5; etc] in the “good thing” [Deuteronomy 26:11, and in “goodness”2 Chronicles 6:41], not in that which is wicked, evil or of the devil.

And ye shall rejoicebefore the LORD your God, ye, and your sons, and your daughters, and your menservants, and your maidservants, and the Levite that [is] within your gates; forasmuch as he hath no part nor inheritance with you. Deuteronomy 12:12​
Notwithstanding thou mayest kill and eat flesh in all thy gates, whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, according to the blessing of the LORD thy God which he hath given thee: the unclean and the clean may eat thereof, as of the roebuck, and as of the hart. Deuteronomy 12:15​

They could kill and “eat” [does not say “drink”] "flesh" [which is what the phrase "whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, according to the blessing of the LORD thy God which he hath given thee" is pertaining to, and with obvious restrictions and limits for God had already declared to eat only that which was of the clean animals: Roebuck/hart/etc [Deuteronomy 14:4-6,9,11,20], and to eat nothing of the blood [Deuteronomy 12:16], nor which died on its own [Deuteronomy 14:21], nor of the unclean/abomination: Deuteronomy 14:3] and is not anywhere condoning the drinking of "strong drink" at all, as it never mentions “drinking” any of it. The “Strong Drink” is the “drink offering” associated with the various sacrifices that was to be poured out "unto the LORD".

When the LORD thy God shall enlarge thy border, as he hath promised thee, and thou shalt say, I will eat flesh, because thy soul longeth to eat flesh; thou mayest eat flesh, whatsoever thy soul lusteth after. Deuteronomy 12:21​

The people could not simply eat and feast where they wanted with these items either, they had to do so in the specific and designated spot chosen by God [Deuteronomy 12:18; 14:23], with the given exception, though still allowed/commanded by God; Deuteronomy 12:21 and they were especially not to follow after any of the customs of the heathen nations [which were notorious for drinking strong drink unto their gods and having drunken festivals; Daniel 5:1,4,23; Hosea 3:1 or Dagon and others like Bacchus, etc.]:

Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou enquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise. Deuteronomy 12:30​

Let us now consider the Deuteronomy 14 texts and their context, which is the second Tithe [for the first being already given unto the Levites, Numbers 18:21-24] and some of this tithe [the tenth, the best] was to be given unto strangers, orphans and widows [Deuteronomy 14:29; 26:12-15].

However, there were things to be offered "unto the LORD". So, those who had a far distance to travel to get to the designated spot itself [where the Sanctuary was placed/stopped, eventually in Jerusalem], instead of carrying with or taking with them many items, harvest, livestock, they could at their earliest convenience trade those things in for money [vs 24] and then once arrived at the designated location, chosen by God [vs 23, where ever the Tabernacle had been moved to], purchase again "whatsoever thy soul desireth"[vs 26], and offer the sacrificial and drink offerings to the LORD first, and then later partake in the feasts. Notice that the very beginning of the chapter, speaks of Holiness unto the LORD, not debauchery, licentiousness, or revelry, etc, and they were to be “peculiar”, a purchased people, unto God, and they were to never eat any abominable thing:

For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth. Deuteronomy 14:2​
Thou shalt not eat any abominable thing. Deuteronomy 14:3​
Ye shall not eat [of] any thing that dieth of itself: thou shalt give it unto the stranger that [is] in thy gates, that he may eat it; or thou mayest sell it unto an alien: for thou [art] an holy people unto the LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk. Deuteronomy 14:21​
Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.Deuteronomy 14:22​

Notice, again the “tithe”, which is always the best, firstfruits, firstlings, never anything decayed, fermented, leavened, and so the “tithe” of “wine” is that which is firstripe of the vine and field:

And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.Deuteronomy 14:23​
And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; [or] if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee: Deuteronomy 14:24​
Then shalt thou turn [it] into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose. Deuteronomy 14:25​

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
Let us consider a very abused and misunderstood text [Deuteronomy 14:26] and see what marvelous light is shining in it on this subject -​
This “tithe” money [which is the LORD's] from the sale of the fruits, grains, livestock, etc [if the place was too far, etc to travel with all of it] was to then be used to purchase, at the specific designation chosen by God, and there used in the offerings, sacrifices and drink offerings of the LORD, and then they could partake in the feast [not frat party] unto the LORD:

And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,Deuteronomy 14:26​

The "strong drink" [should they purchase any] was never to be consumed by any of the people, but rather it was to be poured out upon the ground "unto the LORD"as He commands be done:

And the drink offering thereof [shall be] the fourth [part] of an hin for the one lamb: in the holy [place] shalt thou cause the strong wine to be poured unto the LORD [for] a drink offering. Numbers 28:7 [See also further cases, which declare they were never to drink it also: Deuteronomy 29:6 and see again also Leviticus 10:9]​

They ate nothing leavened in the Wilderness, and the Leaven represented sin.

Ye have not eaten bread, neither have ye drunk wine or strong drink: that ye might know that I amthe LORD your God. Deuteronomy 29:6​

When the Priests [of which we all are, and we shall come to this in a bit moresoe] were doing the service of the LORD, they were especially not to drink alcohol, as Nadab and Abihu had done, lest we be destroyed, for God will destroy them which destroy their body temple [1 Corinthians 3:17]:
Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations: Leviticus 10:9​
And that ye may put difference between holy and unholy, and between unclean and clean; Leviticus 10:10​

There were also restrictions of what could be offered unto God and what they themselves could eat [even as today]:

Thou shalt not eat any abominable thing. Deuteronomy 14:3 [and the Blood was also to be poured upon the ground], yet both the ceremonially "unclean and the clean"persons could partake of the bountiful feast in eating that which was "clean" [roebuck/hart, etc as previously given by God]​

This text of Deuteronomy 14:26 does not advocate drinking alcohol.

Yet some have said that, “the tithe was consumed by the practitioner in the place where the Lord's name is”. Again, they have misunderstood and erred.

Looking at the context of passages again, let us consider the first part of the statement. What does the text say concerning this?:​
Thou shalt truly tithe all the increaseof thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year. Deuteronomy 14:22​
And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always. Deuteronomy 14:23​

Notice that each of the items is the firstfruits/firstlings of the harvest or herds/flocks and for the Levites especially that which was "first ripe"[Numbers 18:12].

"Strong drink" and [fermented] “wine”is not ever a "firstfruit"of the “seed”, nor “field”, nor herds/flocks, nor is it that which comes from treading out the presses [which would be pure fresh grape juice [new wine]], it is rather something that comes from the processes of time, distillation and fermentation/decay [Proverbs 23:31].

As we can see by the text, the "tithe"was to be of the "corn"[anything of the grain, representing the Bread of Life], "wine" [being the "fruit of the vine", "new wine", pure "blood of the grape" or known as pure juice, representing the pure blood of Christ Jesus, from the "press"; Genesis 40:9-11; Joel 3:13; Haggai 2:16 also that which was from the "tread[ing] out"; Nehemiah 13:15; Proverbs 3:10; Isaiah 16:10; Job 24:10-11; Micah 6:15] and "oil" [that which specifically came of the "increase of thy seed", a symbol of the Holy Spirit]and also of the "firstlings"of the "herds"and "flocks".

Anything of this "seed" "tithe"was to specifically be of the "increase" "of the field" that cometh forth "year by year". This also rules out the "strong drink" and [fermented] “wine”from that which they might "eat". The word "eat" [while it does/may denote consuming by the mouth/digestion]it also means to "consume by fire, burn up" [see Numbers 28]. Also, as was shown earlier, and according to the texts, the "strong drink"[which could be bought with the travel"tithe" money gained by the sale of the original "tithe"earlier, if the distance to the designated spot of the LORD was too far away for them to carry or take with them], once purchased, was to be poured out unto the LORD [Numbers 28:7].

Command the children of Israel, and say unto them, My offering, andmy bread for my sacrifices made by fire, fora sweet savour unto me, shall ye observe to offer unto me in their due season. Numbers 28:2​
And thou shalt say unto them, This isthe offering made by fire which ye shall offer unto the LORD; two lambs of the first year without spot day by day, fora continual burnt offering. Numbers 28:3​
The one lamb shalt thou offer in the morning, and the other lamb shalt thou offer at even; Numbers 28:4​
And a tenth partof an ephah of flour for a meat offering, mingled with the fourth partof an hin of beaten oil. Numbers 28:5​
It is a continual burnt offering, which was ordained in mount Sinai for a sweet savour, a sacrifice made by fire unto the LORD. Numbers 28:6​
And the drink offering thereofshall bethe fourth partof an hin for the one lamb: in the holy placeshalt thou cause the strong wine to be poured unto the LORD fora drink offering. Numbers 28:7​
And the other lamb shalt thou offer at even: as the meat offering of the morning, and as the drink offering thereof, thou shalt offer it, a sacrifice made by fire, of a sweet savour unto the LORD. Numbers 28:8​
And on the sabbath day two lambs of the first year without spot, and two tenth deals of flour fora meat offering, mingled with oil, and the drink offering thereof: Numbers 28:9​
This is the burnt offering of every sabbath, beside the continual burnt offering, and his drink offering. Numbers 28:10​
And in the beginnings of your months ye shall offer a burnt offering unto the LORD; two young bullocks, and one ram, seven lambs of the first year without spot; Numbers 28:11​
And three tenth deals of flour fora meat offering, mingled with oil, for one bullock; and two tenth deals of flour fora meat offering, mingled with oil, for one ram; Numbers 28:12​
And a several tenth deal of flour mingled with oil fora meat offering unto one lamb; for a burnt offering of a sweet savour, a sacrifice made by fire unto the LORD. Numbers 28:13​
And their drink offerings shall be half an hin of wine unto a bullock, and the third partof an hin unto a ram, and a fourth partof an hin unto a lamb: this isthe burnt offering of every month throughout the months of the year. Numbers 28:14​
And one kid of the goats for a sin offering unto the LORD shall be offered, beside the continual burnt offering, and his drink offering. Numbers 28:15​
After this manner ye shall offer daily, throughout the seven days, the meat of the sacrifice made by fire, of a sweet savour unto the LORD: it shall be offered beside the continual burnt offering, and his drink offering. Numbers 28:24​
Ye shall offer them beside the continual burnt offering, and his meat offering, (they shall be unto you without blemish) and their drink offerings. Numbers 28:31​

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020

Why? It was because God was teaching a lesson, as to the plan of Salvation & Redemption, involving Jesus Christ. Christ Jesus, though sinless, was made to be sin for us, that the wrath of God might be poured out upon Him [Romans 1:18; Matthew 27:45-46; Mark 15:33-34; Psalms 22:1].

For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.2 Corinthians 5:21​
And Jacob set up a pillar in the place where he talked with him, even a pillar of stone: and he poured a drink offering thereon, and he poured oil thereon. Genesis 35:14​
And he burnt his burnt offering and his meat offering, and poured his drink offering, and sprinkled the blood of his peace offerings, upon the altar. 2 Kings 16:13​
I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels. Psalms 22:14​
Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors. Isaiah 53:12​
The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. John 1:29​
And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God! John 1:36​
And Aaron shall bring the goat upon which the LORD'S lot fell, and offer him for a sin offering. Leviticus 16:9​
Then shall he kill the goat of the sin offering, that isfor the people, and bring his blood within the vail, and do with that blood as he did with the blood of the bullock, and sprinkle it upon the mercy seat, and before the mercy seat: Leviticus 16:15​
So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation. Hebrews 9:28​
By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. Hebrews 10:10​
Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate. Hebrews 13:12​
But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: 1 Peter 1:19​
For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. John 6:55​
But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water. John 19:34​

The Bible over and over warns against any alcoholic content, to stay away from it, for it is connected with sin, and the devil.

7seasrekeyed

Strawman. Leaven represents sin.

actually, leaven represents being puffed up

...the leaven of the Pharisees

wine does not represent sin

I knew you were off, but honestly you beat all my expectations

and by the way, the bread of Passover is unleavened

unlike your study which is comparable to the leaven of the Pharisees

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
actually, leaven represents being puffed up
Bible, vs 'you'

1Co 5:6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?​
1Co 5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:​
1Co 5:8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.​
Exo_12:19 Seven days shall there be no leaven found in your houses: for whosoever eateth that which is leavened, even that soul shall be cut off from the congregation of Israel, whether he be a stranger, or born in the land.​
Exo_34:25 Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven; neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left unto the morning.​

Notice, the doctrine of sin, by nullifying God's commandment through vain traditions:
Mat 16:5 And when his disciples were come to the other side, they had forgotten to take bread.​
Mat 16:6 Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.​
Mat 16:7 And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is because we have taken no bread.​
Mat 16:8 Which when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?​
Mat 16:9 Do ye not yet understand, neither remember the five loaves of the five thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?​
Mat 16:10 Neither the seven loaves of the four thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?​
Mat 16:11 How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?​
Mat 16:12 Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.​
Mat 15:6 And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.​
Mat_15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.​
Mar_7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.​
Mar 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.​
Leaven, the disobedience to Truth (God's Law. Psalms 119:142, 151, etc), thus sin:

Gal 5:7 Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?​
Gal 5:8 This persuasion cometh not of him that calleth you.​
Gal 5:9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.​