Is it a sin to drink alcohol

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
New Wine [ Strong's G1098 ]: Greek Transliterated: gleukos; Greek: γλεῦκος - commonly translated into the English: new wine” [ sweet wine ]. “Akin to G1099 [ glykys γλυκύς sweet ]” 1 times “new wine”

Acts 2:13.​

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
Vine [of the; Fruit] [ Strong's G288 ]: Greek Transliterated: ampelos; Greek: ἄμπελος - commonly translated into the English: vine” [ of the; Fruit ]. “From G297 [amphoteroi ἀμφότεροι both] and G257 [halōnἅλων a ground plot or threshing floor]” 9 times “vine”

Matthew 26:29;

Mark 14:25;

Luke 22:18;

John 15:1,4,5;

James 3:12;

Revelation 14:18,19.​

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
Vinegar [ Strong's G3690 ]: Greek Transliterated: oxos; Greek: ὄξος - commonly translated into the English: vinegar”. “From G3691 [ oxys ὀξύς sharp, swift, quick ]” 7 times “vinegar”

Matthew 27:34,48;

Mark 15:36;

Luke 23:36;

John 19:29,30.​

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
Excess of wine [ Strong's G3632 ] Greek Transliterated: oinophlygia; Greek: οἰνοφλυγία - commonly translated into the English: excess of wine”. “From G3631 [oinos οἶνος wine ] and G5397 [ phlyaros φλύαρος persons uttering or doing silly things, babbling ]” 1 times “excess of wine”

1 Peter 4:3.​

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
Given To Wine [ Strong's G3943 ]: Greek Transliterated: paroinos; Greek: πάροινος - commonly translated into the English: given to wine, drunken”. “From G3844 [ para παρά from, of, at, by, besides, near ] and G3631 [ oinos> οἶνος wine ]” 2 times “given to wine”
1 Timothy 3:3; Titus 1:7.​

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
Winebibber [ Strong's G3630 ]: Greek Transliterated: oinopotēs; Greek οἰνοπότης - commonly translated into the English: winebibber”. “From G3631 [ oinos οἶνος wine ] and G4095 [ pinō; πίνω to drink ]” 2 times “winebibber”
Matthew 11:19;

Luke 7:34.​

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
Have Well Drunk, Be Drunken, Be Made Drunk [ Strong's G3184 ]: Greek Transliterated: methyō; Greek: μεθύω - commonly translated into the English: Be Drunken, Have well Drunk, Be Made Drunk”. “From G3178 [ methē; μέθη intoxication, drunkenness]” 5 times “Be Drunken”, 1 times “Have Well Drunk”, 1 times “Be Made Drunk”

Mathew 24:49;

John 2:10;

Acts 2:15;

1 Corinthians 11:21;

1 Thessalonians 5:7;

Revelation 17:2,6.​

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
Drunkenness [ Strong's G3178 ]: Greek Transliterated: methē; Greek: μέθη - commonly translated into the English: drunkenness”. “Apparently a root word” 3 times “drunkenness”

Luke 21:34;

Romans 13:13;

Galatians 5:21.​

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
With these words now listed and referenced, we can look to see if there is a dual use of the word "wine" in the scriptures in evidence of the "Yes." answer to the second half of the question previously asked.

In the Mouth of Two or Three Witnesses, let everything be established... for remember, all we are looking to do at this point is to establish that the Bible does indeed have a multiple use for the word "wine", and that it does not have to always mean the fermented alcoholic variety of the term.

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
Good Wine, Unalcoholic, Unfermented Wine:
[1] Thus saith the LORD, As the new wine is found in the cluster, and [one] saith, Destroy it not; for a blessing [is] in it: so will I do for my servants' sakes, that I may not destroy them all. Isaiah 65:8​
[2] Then brought all Judah the tithe of the corn and the new wine and the oil unto the treasuries. Nehemiah 13:12​
[3] So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine. Proverbs 3:10​

These 3 simple texts reveal that the word "wine" is also meant of the simple juice of the Grapes, even ripe from the harvest, right off of the vine, right fresh and invigorating from the press vats, the very firstfruits of the harvest increase even.

There are two kinds of wine in the Bible as already demonstrated. There is a "woe" (not a blessing) upon the drink of Belial:

[1] Habakkuk 2:15 Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness!​
[2] Isaiah 5:22 Woe unto them that are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink:​
[3] Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.​
[4] 1 Samuel 1:14 And Eli said unto her, How long wilt thou be drunken? put away thy wine from thee.​
[5] 1 Samuel 1:15 And Hannah answered and said, No, my lord, I am a woman of a sorrowful spirit: I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but have poured out my soul before the LORD.​
[6] 1 Samuel 1:16 Count not thine handmaid for a daughter of Belial: for out of the abundance of my complaint and grief have I spoken hitherto.​

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
1 Samuel 1:14 ...and said to her, "How long are you going to stay drunk? Put away your wine."
Context? The "wine" of "Belial" (fermented), not the "wine" of God (unfermented, juice of the grape, fruit of the vine).

1Sa 1:12 And it came to pass, as she continued praying before the LORD, that Eli marked her mouth.​
1Sa 1:13 Now Hannah, she spake in her heart; only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard: therefore Eli thought she had been drunken.​
1Sa 1:14 And Eli said unto her, How long wilt thou be drunken? put away thy wine from thee.​
1Sa 1:15 And Hannah answered and said, No, my lord, I am a woman of a sorrowful spirit: I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but have poured out my soul before the LORD.​
1Sa 1:16 Count not thine handmaid for a daughter of Belial: for out of the abundance of my complaint and grief have I spoken hitherto.​

Context? Eli thought she was a drinker of the wine of Belial, because of her motions and actions. Eli was mistaken. Hannah was a faithful daughter of the Most High and would not partake of the wine of Belial. This did not preclude her from drinking of the juice of the grape, the fruit of the vine, the wine of God, like that which was always set before His table (such as in the sanctuary).

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
Kings and princes should not drink "wine" (alcoholic), or strong drink:

Pro 31:1 The words of king Lemuel, the prophecy that his mother taught him.​
Pro 31:2 What, my son? and what, the son of my womb? and what, the son of my vows?​
Pro 31:3 Give not thy strength unto women, nor thy ways to that which destroyeth kings.​
Pro 31:4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:​
Pro 31:5 Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.​
Pro 31:6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.​
Pro 31:7 Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.​

Christians are all "kings, princes and priests" of the Most High God:
Exo_19:6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.​
Dan_8:25 And through his policy also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand.​
1Co_4:8 Now ye are full, now ye are rich, ye have reigned as kings without us: and I would to God ye did reign, that we also might reign with you.​
1Pe_2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:​
Rev_1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.​
Rev_5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.​
Notice:

1Co_15:46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.​
2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:​
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.​
Thus whole systems of religion have no only partaken of natural alcoholic wine, but also spitritual alcoholic wine:

Isa 28:7 But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment.​

Rev_14:8 And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.​
Rev 17:2 With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.​

Apr 15, 2017
Joh 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Joh 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

2Co 1:3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort.

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Php 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Joh 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Joh_16:22 And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you.

Joh 15:11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

Rom 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

2Ti 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Isn't the Holy Spirit wonderful that gives us peace, love, joy comfort, and a sound mind that is greater than any other substance on earth.

And there is no negative side affects with the Holy Spirit, and not bad for the physical body

The Holy Spirit is so wonderful that no feeling can compare to that for nothing can compare to the Comfort of the Holy Spirit and I doubt anyone would argue with that.

Alcohol cost money, and it is not a necessity to live and sustain life, has nothing to do with being spiritual, can cause people to feel ill at times, and possibly to act inappropriate.

What I want to know concerning people that drink alcohol what is the purpose of drinking alcohol if the Holy Spirit is so much better than alcohol, and we are to be spiritual which alcohol is a fleshy pleasure.

That would be like someone offering a porterhouse steak seasoned and cooked to perfection, or the finest lobster, or the savoriest, juiciest, tastiest, mouth watering, meal ever cooked in the history of mankind by the greatest chef who ever lived.

But they say no but I would rather eat this dry, bland, not so tasty dog food instead.

So explain the purpose of drinking alcohol when a person can receive Spirit with the greatest benefits of all.

That is all you have to do is explain.

For I do not see alcohol adding anything to a person's life that is positive, and being sober is without a doubt better and I do not see how anyone can argue with that.

Does it nourish the body with great nutrients unlike any other thing.

Does it give you the mental clarity, and intelligence of a great mind.

Does it build up your body that steroids cannot compare to it, and cause the body to function at the highest level possible, and strength that increases your best lift in power lifting, and can help you exceedingly much at climbing Mount Everest, and your exercising and learning endeavors.

For the truth is not drinking alcohol is better, and more positive, and healthier than drinking alcohol, and does not even compare to the comfort of the Spirit.

So explain.

Or am I missing something for is alcohol really better than having the Spirit, and better for you physically than not drinking alcohol.

Is this what you are saying.

If not drinking alcohol is better than drinking alcohol then why drink alcohol.

If eating a good meal is better than eating dirt then why eat dirt.

I drank alcohol before, even sometimes after I confessed Christ but I did not notice that drinking alcohol is better than not drinking alcohol, and the negative factor of spending money on it.

Mar 26, 2020
Drunkenness [ Strong's G3178 ]: Greek Transliterated: methē; Greek: μέθη - commonly translated into the English: drunkenness”. “Apparently a root word” 3 times “drunkenness”

Luke 21:34;​
Romans 13:13;​
Galatians 5:21.​
I know your screen name says within reason, but your obvious extensive detail is way out of reason for a simple question?