Is it a sin to drink alcohol

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Not at all times, only contextually. The word 'wine' as defined by scripture, by secular and historical sources (already cited previous), has multiple uses/definitions, ranging from the pure juice of the grape, to the distilled and alcoholic liquid. The word 'wine' simply means that which comes from the 'vine'. See word etymology as already provided.

No. The context is speaking of that which destroys Kings, perverts judgment, makes one to forget (thus affecting the mind/brain/will) God's law, leading unto death, all of which speak to the corrupting influence of intoxication, alcohol. It has nothing to say about the blessed 'wine' (the pure juice of the grape, fruit of the vine), which strengtheneth mankind's heart/mind/body, is refreshing and invigorating (life giving).
So wine in the Bible some time mean alcoholic drink some time mean grape juice, am I right?

presidente

May 29, 2013
Not at all times, only contextually. The word 'wine' as defined by scripture, by secular and historical sources (already cited previous), has multiple uses/definitions, ranging from the pure juice of the grape, to the distilled and alcoholic liquid. The word 'wine' simply means that which comes from the 'vine'. See word etymology as already provided.

No. The context is speaking of that which destroys Kings, perverts judgment, makes one to forget (thus affecting the mind/brain/will) God's law, leading unto death, all of which speak to the corrupting influence of intoxication, alcohol. It has nothing to say about the blessed 'wine' (the pure juice of the grape, fruit of the vine), which strengtheneth mankind's heart/mind/body, is refreshing and invigorating (life giving).
The words of our Lord in Luke 5:39
No man also having drunk old wine straightway desireth new: for he saith, The old is better.

Obviously, His perspective on this was different from yours.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
No man also having drunk old wine straightway desireth new: for he saith, The old is better.

So what is the word wine in this verse?

Like 5
38 But new wine must be put into new bottles; and both are preserved.

39 No man also having drunk old wine straightway desireth new: for he saith, The old is better.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
The Bible is against drinking alcohol:

Pro_31:4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:​
Hab_2:15 Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness!​
Pro_20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.​

and many such more. Yet, the clear texts, are thrown aside, and people take those texts where it simply reads 'wine' and attempt to have them all mean 'alcohol', when that is not how the scriptures uses the word in every case.
The bible is strictly against the misuse from alcohol. And for some person groups like an nasiräer ore an priest in duty it was prohibitet to drink alcohol, thats right. But from this you cant make an general prohibition. A coin has always two sides, but you are only emphesise one side. So you will get a wrong picture.

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020

No, the "new wine" is that which comes from the fresh press of grapes from the vine:

Pro_3:10 So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.​
Joe_1:10 The field is wasted, the land mourneth; for the corn is wasted: the new wine is dried up, the oil languisheth.​

The 'old wine' is that which had been stored, boiled down, and later mixed with water. When the New Wine was offered it was potent fresh grape juice. Compare with the "new garment" in parallel.

See what I mean about the 'beer goggles'. You see alcohol everywhere.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
To misuse alcohol is to drink it. It is also to misuse the Temple of God, which Temple you are.
You need to go back and re-read that whole discussion about our bodies being the temple of the Spirit... the discussion was about immorality... not drinking, or smoking, or skydiving.... etc....

"every other sin that man commits is outside the body (in other words, is not against the body) but the immoral man sins against his own body' THAT'S how you sin against your body, which is the temple of the Spirit.

Try to keep things in context, and stop seeing everything through your "anti-beer goggles"

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
No, the "new wine" is that which comes from the fresh press of grapes from the vine:

Pro_3:10 So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.​
Joe_1:10 The field is wasted, the land mourneth; for the corn is wasted: the new wine is dried up, the oil languisheth.​

The 'old wine' is that which had been stored, boiled down, and later mixed with water. When the New Wine was offered it was potent fresh grape juice. Compare with the "new garment" in parallel.

To misuse alcohol is to drink it. It is also to misuse the Temple of God, which Temple you are.
That what you are telling is not what the bible says. I mean you must not drink it. But to teach that it is forbiten for a christian to drink alcohol is simply not true.

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
You need to go back and re-read that whole discussion about our bodies being the temple of the Spirit... the discussion was about immorality... not drinking, or smoking, or skydiving.... etc....
Rom_12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

"every other sin that man commits is outside the body (in other words, is not against the body) but the immoral man sins against his own body' THAT'S how you sin against your body, which is the temple of the Spirit.

Try to keep things in context, and stop seeing everything through your "anti-beer goggles"
1Co 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

1Co 6:18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
1Co 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
2Co 6:15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
2Co 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
2Co 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
2Co 6:18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

1Sa 1:13 Now Hannah, she spake in her heart; only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard: therefore Eli thought she had been drunken.​
1Sa 1:14 And Eli said unto her, How long wilt thou be drunken? put away thy wine from thee.​
1Sa 1:15 And Hannah answered and said, No, my lord, I am a woman of a sorrowful spirit: I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but have poured out my soul before the LORD.​
1Sa 1:16 Count not thine handmaid for a daughter of Belial: for out of the abundance of my complaint and grief have I spoken hitherto.​
1Sa 25:17 Now therefore know and consider what thou wilt do; for evil is determined against our master, and against all his household: for he is such a son of Belial, that a man cannot speak to him.​
1Sa 25:36 And Abigail came to Nabal; and, behold, he held a feast in his house, like the feast of a king; and Nabal's heart was merry within him, for he was very drunken: wherefore she told him nothing, less or more, until the morning light.​
1Sa 25:37 But it came to pass in the morning, when the wine was gone out of Nabal, and his wife had told him these things, that his heart died within him, and he became as a stone.​

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
If you press grapes to juice. You can store it in in a glasbottle by an temperature from 5-8 Celsius max 72 hours.
Without any doing with the pressed grapejuice it will turn into an alcoholic drink.
Unless you cook it.
You will tell me now that 2000 years ago, the people in Israel had an fridge to cool the juice down?
Our Lord himself made wine out of water.
No alcoholfree juice.
And even today grapejucie has around 0,4 Vol.-%. So I hope you will not drink it.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014

And they became drunk during the weddingfeast through grape juice?
If you press grapes to juice. You can store it in in a glasbottle by an temperature from 5-8 Celsius max 72 hours.
Without any doing with the pressed grapejuice it will turn into an alcoholic drink.
Unless you cook it.
You will tell me now that 2000 years ago, the people in Israel had an fridge to cool the juice down?
Our Lord himself made wine out of water.
No alcoholfree juice.
And even today grapejucie has around 0,4 Vol.-%. So I hope you will not drink it.
And to add, in John 2 is it not spoken from new ore old wine, but from good quality wine and less quality wine.

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
Unless you cook it.
Asked and answered -

https://christianchat.com/bible-dis...-to-drink-alcohol.191061/page-33#post-4205390

https://christianchat.com/bible-dis...-to-drink-alcohol.191061/page-32#post-4205279