Is it a sin to drink alcohol

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
2020 has made me WISH I could drink wine, etc., but I can't. Yeshua drank it after all, as I am sure you have discussed. This week and last has made me want something to knock me out for a time. :)

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
2020 has made me WISH I could drink wine, etc., but I can't. Yeshua drank it after all, as I am sure you have discussed. This week and last has made me want something to knock me out for a time. :)
Paul suggested drinking a little wine for various ailments that affected mind and body.

Dec 16, 2020
Texas
God's word has much to say about the consumption of fermented and unfermented wine. In ancient times wine could be fermented grape juice mixed with water, thus making it somewhat diluted. Fermented wine could also be made without adding water and making it more intoxicating. The Bible often describes this type of wine as "strong drink". Without question the Bible condemns drinking to the point where a person is drunk. As Christians we are commanded to not let our bodies be enslaved by anything (1 Corinthians 6: 12) and getting drunk with alcohol would certainly fall under this category. Christians should not do anything that hinders the Holy Spirit's influence on us. A person who consumes alcohol to the point where they are drunk has let the alcohol influence their decision making instead of being "filled by the spirit". Alcohol by itself is not tainted by sin, it is the drunkenness and addiction to it that a Christian must absolutely stay away from. Scripture does not forbid Christians from drinking beer, wine, or anything else containing alcohol in it. As a matter of fact, there are times the Bible speaks of alcohol in a positive light.

Ephesians 5:18 "be not drunk with wine where in excess; but be filled with the Holy Spirit." This passage of scripture is warning us to not be "drunk" or drinking to the point where it is to much or "excess". Drinking to much leads to intoxication, which leads to bad decisions. God wants us to be filled by the Holy Spirit which leads and guides us into making better decisions in life.

Exodus 32:6-7 The people were so intoxicated with wine that the Lord said, "they have corrupted themselves."
Proverbs 20:1 "Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise." To be led astray is to be led by the intoxication of wine, where God wants us to be lead by the Holy Spirit.

Proverbs 31:4-7 verse 4 says that it is not for kings to drink wine. If the king is drunk and is under its influence, he may forget the law, his morals, or himself. A drunken king will use bad judgement when making important decisions concerning his kingdom. A king who stays drunk all the time cannot lead his people or country. Now notice in verse 6 this passage is actually giving permission to drink intoxicating wine. "strong drink" to those who are about to die and may need it for pain and "wine" who have a heavy heart and is afflicted with anxiety, nervousness, or something troubling them emotionally.

Final thoughts
It is incorrect to say that wine in the Bible was just simply grape juice, but equally incorrect to say that wine was fermented the same as modern day. It has been clinically proven that a glass of red wine soothes the stomach. The drunken state is what the Bible most warns about. The fact is, many people have a problem with having just "one glass" of red wine and want to keep going until it is too late. They become enslaved by the alcohol and do and say things they normally wouldn't. For these people it is a good idea to stay completely away from any kind of alcohol beverage. Keep in mind, back in ancient times the water was not very clean. Without modern sanitation, the water was filled with bacteria, viruses, and all kinds of contaminants. It is still true today in some third world countries where immediately after you step off an airplane they tell you not to drink the water! Regarding alcohol and its effects it has on people, the easy temptation to consume more than one can handle, and due to the possibility causing another brother or sister stumbling in their walk with Christ, it may be best for a Christian to abstain from drinking all together.
God bless everyone!
Gal. 5:16,19,21- Those who do works of flesh shall not inherit kingdom of heaven so walk in the spirit.

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
Oh, stinkin'! Is this a setup? Because I can't take any more disappointment today.
<angry frown>
Oh, man, Magenta!! I sure hope you know I was teasing back. I was so tired that I didn't make that sure!!!

Sorry!! :)

Magenta said:
The Bible is void of chocolate:cry:;):giggle::geek:

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Question: Why do we need to drink alcohol?
A long time ago water in many places was unsafer to drink than beer or wine. That's no longer true in first world areas like most of the U.S. I can remember when cough syrup was basically brandy & codeine. We called it GI Gin in the military. I actually doubt if alcohol is necessary for human consumption for much any more.

Anywhoo

Dec 13, 2020
A long time ago water in many places was unsafer to drink than beer or wine. That's no longer true in first world areas like most of the U.S. I can remember when cough syrup was basically brandy & codeine. We called it GI Gin in the military. I actually doubt if alcohol is necessary for human consumption for much any more.
Alcohol doesn't kill people, people who drink alcohol kill people.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Alcohol doesn't kill people, people who drink alcohol kill people.
NOT FUNNY! Pancreatitis, liver disease, hemorrhaging esophagus and peritonitis due to leaking stomachs and intestines can and more be caused by drinking. They all can be fatal. Some folks even drown in their own blood.

Anywhoo

Dec 13, 2020
NOT FUNNY! Pancreatitis, liver disease, hemorrhaging esophagus and peritonitis due to leaking stomachs and intestines can and more be caused by drinking. They all can be fatal. Some folks even drown in their own blood.
Anywhoo.

Jan 7, 2021
I think drinking alcohol is not a sin in the literal sense. It is a sin to abuse alcohol, not to consume in moderation. After all, Jesus himself and his entourage consumed wine in reasonable quantities. By the way, I recommend looking at the Bible reviews on YouTube from famous historians in order to more accurately familiarize yourself with some things. I found about 20 videos there, and they were all posted on channels that had at least 72 thousand subscribers. I'm sure their authors used https://soclikes.com/buy-youtube-subscribers to buy subscribers.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
If you (whoever "you" are) think that it is a sin to drink alcohol, then don't drink alcohol, because it is a sin for you. Whatever is not of faith is sin. "Your" view doesn't make it a sin for "me" though.
This is true scripture.

However, in our world today there are people who have an allergy to alcohol so that one drink sets them off and they lose control so they drink to excess. We are not to tempt others. I have wondered what the Lord wants us to do about those people who are alcoholics.

My Dad never touched alcohol, he found that one drink set him off to drink in excess and never taking the first drink was his way of controlling it. Even my mother did not know this about him, only that he never drank any alcohol. I found out when I saw him pace the floor, in deep distress and he told me it was because our houseguest kept a bottle of whiskey in our kitchen cupboards. Even after years of sobriety he craved alcohol.

What do you think the Lord would tell us in this case?

echoChrist

Dec 22, 2020
I think drinking alcohol is not a sin in the literal sense. It is a sin to abuse alcohol, not to consume in moderation. After all, Jesus himself and his entourage consumed wine in reasonable quantities. By the way, I recommend looking at the Bible reviews on YouTube from famous historians in order to more accurately familiarize yourself with some things. I found about 20 videos there, and they were all posted on channels that had at least 72 thousand subscribers. I'm sure their authors used https://soclikes.com/buy-youtube-subscribers to buy subscribers.
For those not in the know when Jesus walked the earth fresh made grapevine non fermented was called wine and yes you also had fermented version which was low alcohol content back then and you also had strong drink which is what the barbarians drank.

echoChrist

Dec 22, 2020
If you (whoever "you" are) think that it is a sin to drink alcohol, then don't drink alcohol, because it is a sin for you. Whatever is not of faith is sin. "Your" view doesn't make it a sin for "me" though.
Let's see what the Holy scripture says (Galatians 5:19,21) 19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. [That clearly states not to drink in excess here are some of its downfalls provokes anger, poverty, perverts justice, blurs the mind, licentiousness, disorderliness, and hinders watchfulness. Now can you have a drink or two to relax if you have the self control to do that then thats your choice. I know there are other scriptures on this subject you can discern for yourself what to do. And I highly doubt Jesus ever drank fermented wine that would make him in contrary to what he teaches.]