Is it a sin to drink alcohol

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Let's see what the Holy scripture says (Galatians 5:19,21) 19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. [That clearly states not to drink in excess here are some of its downfalls provokes anger, poverty, perverts justice, blurs the mind, licentiousness, disorderliness, and hinders watchfulness. Now can you have a drink or two to relax if you have the self control to do that then thats your choice. I know there are other scriptures on this subject you can discern for yourself what to do. And I highly doubt Jesus ever drank fermented wine that would make him in contrary to what he teaches.]
Bolded above: that is the distinction to make, not no drinking at all.

Drinking is actually recommended in Scripture under certain circumstances.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
This is true scripture.

However, in our world today there are people who have an allergy to alcohol so that one drink sets them off and they lose control so they drink to excess. We are not to tempt others. I have wondered what the Lord wants us to do about those people who are alcoholics.

My Dad never touched alcohol, he found that one drink set him off to drink in excess and never taking the first drink was his way of controlling it. Even my mother did not know this about him, only that he never drank any alcohol. I found out when I saw him pace the floor, in deep distress and he told me it was because our houseguest kept a bottle of whiskey in our kitchen cupboards. Even after years of sobriety he craved alcohol.

What do you think the Lord would tell us in this case?
I would not allow anyone who stayed in my home to bring alcohol into it , simply because I would be tempted to drink it...

A christian should consider these matters with his fellow brother/sister , so they do not cause his brother/sister to fall , but obviously a non believer would not care about this...
...xox...

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I would not allow anyone who stayed in my home to bring alcohol into it , simply because I would be tempted to drink it...

A christian should consider these matters with his fellow brother/sister , so they do not cause his brother/sister to fall , but obviously a non believer would not care about this...
...xox...
Most decent non-believers would respect this if a request was made or a boundary was stated. However, there are many non-decent non-believers... usually the ones who don't care how their actions impact others.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Most decent non-believers would respect this if a request was made or a boundary was stated. However, there are many non-decent non-believers... usually the ones who don't care how their actions impact others.
Yes you are correct , there are non christians who are kind enough to respect ones boundaries , I should of stated that (y)
...xox...

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Mrs. post is allergic to nearly every common form of pain medication, so after her surgeries we thanked God for corn liquor, which provided for her some respite

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Mrs. post is allergic to nearly every common form of pain medication, so after her surgeries we thanked God for corn liquor, which provided for her some respite
What is corn liquor , never heard of that before...
...xox...

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Mrs. post is allergic to nearly every common form of pain medication, so after
her surgeries we thanked God for corn liquor, which provided for her some respite
...xox...
That sounds like something made in a back-woods still :unsure::giggle::geek:

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
...xox...
also know as moonshine ((post was raised a 'hillbilly' in the Appalachians)) -- as opposed to 'potato liquor' = vodka, or 'grain liquor' = whiskey, or 'cane liquor' = rum.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
also know as moonshine ((post was raised a 'hillbilly' in the Appalachians)) -- as opposed to 'potato liquor' = vodka, or 'grain liquor' = whiskey, or 'cane liquor' = rum.
Ha, I was a gonna say, but thought, better not :LOL:

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
feel free, as you really are :giggle:

there's no doubt that alcohol is oft abused, but i just thought i'd put in 2¢ about legitimate medicinal value
"Back-woods still" prolly got the idea across ;) LOL :cool::D

I refrained out of respect for you :love:

And who'd a known you was a hillbilly? :whistle::unsure::whistle: Hee hee

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
"Back-woods still" prolly got the idea across ;) LOL :cool::D

I refrained out of respect for you :love:

And who'd a known you was a hillbilly? :whistle::unsure::whistle: Hee hee

yea, all us hillbillies down here in the south learn at an early age you got to keep yer still hid out from them da-gum revenooers .

lol!!!

S

Scribe

You probably already know that it slows the healing process considerably.

echoChrist

Dec 22, 2020
Bolded above: that is the distinction to make, not no drinking at all.

Drinking is actually recommended in Scripture under certain circumstances.
I know of two instances only to add to water to make water safer to drink and if you are perishing if you can show me in scripture to drink in recreational way I would be very curious to hear it.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I know of two instances only to add to water to make water safer to drink and if you are perishing if you can show me in scripture to drink in recreational way I would be very curious to hear it.
When did I say anything about Scripture supporting drinking "in a recreational way"? :oops:

echoChrist

Dec 22, 2020
When did I say anything about Scripture supporting drinking "in a recreational way"? :oops:
Sorry I thought thats what you meant I stand corrected I think the people that are wondering is it ok to drink recreational I would say from scripture it is not wise.

CS1

May 23, 2012
In these days and times, it is paramount, we the church are to be Sober minded. We are not to be drunk with wine but filled with the Spirit. The Holy Spirit more now than ever before must have full reign in our lives. The Empowerment of the Holy Spirit to be an "effective Witnesses " only can happen when the Holy Spirit is upon the person. Separation and cleaving to the Lord are essential as these days are wicked and lawless people rules. I believe these are growing pains of the last days that we see today and will take us to the very Coming of the Lord. Werre sin abound grace did much more abound. Evil men and women are creating wickedness and plotting against the people of God as never before. The United States is heading in a direction that will bring us down. The persecution will start on Christians almost immediately in America after Jan 20th. This is not the time to be led away by small addictions

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Sorry I thought thats what you meant I stand corrected I think the people that are wondering is it ok to drink recreational I would say from scripture it is not wise.
I said. "Drinking is actually recommended in Scripture under certain circumstances."

The Bible does not teach total abstinence from alcohol.

“Ecclesiastes 9:7 Go ahead and enjoy your meals as you eat. Drink your wine
with a joyful attitude, because God already has approved your actions.”

Psalm 104:14-15 “You make grass grow for cattle and make vegetables for humans to use in order to get food from the ground. You make wine to cheer human hearts, olive oil to make faces shine, and bread to strengthen human hearts.”

1 Timothy 5:23 Drink no longer water only, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent illnesses.

Proverbs 31:6-7 Let beer be for those who are perishing, wine for those who are in
anguish! Let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more.

Philippians 4:5 “Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.”

Proverbs 25:28 “Like a city with breached walls is a man without self-control.”

If drinking itself was a sin, Jesus would not have turned six jugs
of ceremonial cleansing water into wine for the wedding guests
to drink in the first recorded miracle of John's gospel. Some say
this was merely grape juice, but then why would the host proclaim,

“Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine
after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the

best till now.” "Having too much to drink and having your senses
numbed by such clearly indicates alcohol content.