Is it biblical to attend Church every Sunday?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

pjharrison

If they are saved, then they will be saved at the last day.
1 Cor: 5:5
If they are saved, then they will be saved at the last day.
1 Cor: 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
Gal: 3:23-25
23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster [to bring us] unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

P

pjharrison

Having read most of this thread (save for the last 12 hours back, or so), I haven't read any of pjharrison's posts, claiming that ones who are saved aren't actually saved. Spiritual "babes", who are saved? ARE "saved!"

What I see him doing is "attempting" to, "foil" the traditions of man, of "becoming comatose" at the Cross of Christ!
Up oh, NayborBear, your about to understand. Traditions of man is a good way to describe it. Thanks.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Having read most of this thread (save for the last 12 hours back, or so), I haven't read any of pjharrison's posts, claiming that ones who are saved aren't actually saved. Spiritual "babes", who are saved? ARE "saved!"

What I see him doing is "attempting" to, "foil" the traditions of man, of "becoming comatose" at the Cross of Christ!
Apparently pj is a her, according to the personal profile page. Here are the relevant prior posts...

One day some of them will come out of the churches, but not all because the bible says,Matthew 7:13-14 13"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
This is talking about the world and the Church, not the Church and a few "enlightened ones".
I'm afraid it is talking about in your words a few "enlightened ones".
So yes, she is saying that only a few people from within the Church will be saved. She doesn't believe that the Church as a whole will be saved. Not that in my post, "Church" is capitalized. She disagrees and says it will only be a few "enlightened ones" (for lack of a better term) who will be saved.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
" enlightened ones " means any who agree with pj.

anytime you start seeing " enlightened ones", " chosen ones ", " true believers ". run away!!

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
" enlightened ones " means any who agree with pj.

anytime you start seeing " enlightened ones", " chosen ones ", " true believers ". run away!!
To be fair, that was my term, not hers. Still, she affirmed the concept.

P

pjharrison

Apparently pj is a her, according to the personal profile page. Here are the relevant prior posts...

So yes, she is saying that only a few people from within the Church will be saved. She doesn't believe that the Church as a whole will be saved. Not that in my post, "Church" is capitalized. She disagrees and says it will only be a few "enlightened ones" (for lack of a better term) who will be saved.
To be fair, that was my term, not hers. Still, she affirmed the concept.
Do you think all of the people in the local Churches will be saved. That's half the world. I'm just going by what the bible says.Matthew 7:13-14 13"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
are there individuals in local assemblies who do not have a relationship with the Lord? yes.

are there individuals in local assemblies who do have a relationship with the Lord? yes.

are there individuals in local assemblies who pretend to have a relationship with the Lord? yes.

there are all kinds of people in local fellowships. Jesus sees the hearts. Jesus knows our true motives.

P

pjharrison

Where the disagreement comes in is that you all think that all of the local churches are the body of Christ, but I believe that it is outside of the local Churches. You are right, some in the churches do have a relationship with God, but they are forever in school learning. It's time to live the scriptures and stop just reading about them. That is what happened to them when the body of Christ first started. It is time to walk with Jesus and him alone. We came into this world alone and we will leave it alone. Where is the faith.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Where the disagreement comes in is that you all think that all of the local churches are the body of Christ, but I believe that it is outside of the local Churches. You are right, some in the churches do have a relationship with God, but they are forever in school learning. It's time to live the scriptures and stop just reading about them. That is what happened to them when the body of Christ first started. It is time to walk with Jesus and him alone. We came into this world alone and we will leave it alone. Where is the faith.
I don't believe any of "us all" has anywhere claimed that "all of the local churches are the body of Christ". I certainly haven't.

Your characterization of those in local churches as "forever in school learning" is arrogant, uninformed, and quite unnecessary. Perhaps you personally felt like you were treated as a child who is never encouraged to live out your faith. That's sad, but no reason to put that label on others.

As for myself, I live my faith throughout the week according to the leading of Scripture and the Holy Spirit. Church on Sunday is only a small part of my walk with the Lord. I stopped "just reading" and started living a long time ago. I suspect the same is true of many here.

P

pjharrison

Well maybe I'm the only one who felt empty, like I was missing something. A great void. So if you are happy with what you are doing, then good for you.

beta

Aug 8, 2016
Jas 1v22 But be ye DOERS of the Word and not hearers only deceiving your own selves.
Traditional teachers in sunday churches very much encourage the congregation TO REST in christ and NOT do anything themselves which is seen as 'filthy rags. Well, after 2000 years in diapers what can be expected ? (just an analogy) it takes RADICAL change to start ''Newness of life''.
When will they leave the BABY-stage and grow up....learn to follow instructions and become obedient to GOD ? I tell you WHEN that happens....when they step out of Kindergarten and start walking with THE LORD our Teacher come from GOD ! 1Joh 2v6.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Jas 1v22 But be ye DOERS of the Word and not hearers only deceiving your own selves.
Traditional teachers in sunday churches very much encourage the congregation TO REST in christ and NOT do anything themselves which is seen as 'filthy rags. Well, after 2000 years in diapers what can be expected ? (just an analogy) it takes RADICAL change to start ''Newness of life''.
When will they leave the BABY-stage and grow up....learn to follow instructions and become obedient to GOD ? I tell you WHEN that happens....when they step out of Kindergarten and start walking with THE LORD our Teacher come from GOD ! 1Joh 2v6.
be doers of the Word indeed.

since there is no N.T. command for Christ followers to keep the jewish Sabbath, we do not have to, under no divine instruction to do so.

if one chooses to keep the Sabbath, that is fine, but it has nothing to do with salvation by grace through faith.

P

pjharrison

They don't understand. It sounds like I'm talking crazy nonsense to them, and I don't blame them because they don't understand.
1 Cor: 2:14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

P

pjharrison

be doers of the Word indeed.

since there is no N.T. command for Christ followers to keep the jewish Sabbath, we do not have to, under no divine instruction to do so.

if one chooses to keep the Sabbath, that is fine, but it has nothing to do with salvation by grace through faith.

P

pjharrison

I can't tell if your are for or against the post, but when you enter Gods rest (Sabbath), you cease from all your work just as God did, because all is done. Ceasing from your work means, no need to observe the Sabbath, because you are in it. Every day is holy. You have entered his rest. No more traditions.

Transformed89

Jul 10, 2017
People who attend Church says it is biblical to attend Church every Sunday, but it's not.
There is no command to do it, but we take it from example and necessary inference from the Scripture.
We should strive to follow the Scripture Examples of the early Church.
Examples of the 1st century Church Meeting, taking the Lord's Supper, and Giving on Sunday are shown in the scripture.
Acts 20:7..." Now on the 1st day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread" tells us what was unique about the 1st day of the week. Unlike other days of the week, this was the day the disciples came together to partake of the Lord's Supper. We know its not referring to common meals because we don't eat once a week, and we already know the disciples often came together daily for common meals from Acts 2:46.
By stating " the First Day of the week" we are told the frequency in which this happened. It wasn't the 1st Sunday of each month or on Passover. It was a weekly gathering that occurred on the 1st day of the week. This is also confirmed in another aspect of worship, the collection. Collection is commanded on the 1st day of the week in 1Corinthians 16:1-2.
When the Church meets we should all be there, not forsaking the Assembly but exhorting one another Hebrews 10:25

P

pjharrison

There is no command to do it, but we take it from example and necessary inference from the Scripture.
We should strive to follow the Scripture Examples of the early Church.
Examples of the 1st century Church Meeting, taking the Lord's Supper, and Giving on Sunday are shown in the scripture.
Acts 20:7..." Now on the 1st day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread" tells us what was unique about the 1st day of the week. Unlike other days of the week, this was the day the disciples came together to partake of the Lord's Supper. We know its not referring to common meals because we don't eat once a week, and we already know the disciples often came together daily for common meals from Acts 2:46.
By stating " the First Day of the week" we are told the frequency in which this happened. It wasn't the 1st Sunday of each month or on Passover. It was a weekly gathering that occurred on the 1st day of the week. This is also confirmed in another aspect of worship, the collection. Collection is commanded on the 1st day of the week in 1Corinthians 16:1-2.
When the Church meets we should all be there, not forsaking the Assembly but exhorting one another Hebrews 10:25
If you read the whole verse you will see, that day just happened to be when they met that week only, because Paul was leaving the next day. It doesn't say every week. People have just made it that.

Transformed89

Jul 10, 2017
If you read the whole verse you will see, that day just happened to be when they met that week only, because Paul was leaving the next day. It doesn't say every week. People have just made it that.
Where does it say "because" Paul was leaving the next day...it references Paul leaving the next day but it doesn't say they met because he was leaving the next day. my NKJV says. " On the First day of the week, WHEN the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day...
and in 1 Corinthians 16: 1-2 wouldn't it make sense to take collections when they met together on the 1st day of the week? Why would he specify on the first day of the week here?
Not trying to be smart or argumentative just asking sincere questions. Please don't be offended that is not my purpose

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
They don't understand. It sounds like I'm talking crazy nonsense to them, and I don't blame them because they don't understand.
1 Cor: 2:14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.
There you go again... Accusing people who do not agree with you of not being saved.