Is it Biblically permissive to beat one's wife?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Looking at the quote, I do not see the topic as the author saying it is just for a man to beat his wife. He seems to be saying a Christian wife should be willing to endure an unjust beating from a husband disobedient to the word.

Slaves could suffer domestic violence, rither for doing wrong or for righteousness sake(e.g. praying or sharing their faith with the master's children.) Suffering domestic violence for righteousness sake in this case was acceotable before God.

Slaves had no legal recourse, though it is possible, in Jewish communities, which had some autonomy to manage their own legal matters under Roman law, that they could appeal to synagogue elders. Torah awarded freedom for a lost ete or tooth but did not forbid beating disobedient slaves.

If a wife has some legal recourse and a place to go, should she endure physical abuse out of a desire to submit to Christ by submitting to her husband? Is it commendable before God to do so. I have seen posters elsewhere blame wives who endured in such situations, who said rhey were not glorifying Fod. Having heard testimonies of Christian women who endured abuse who won their husbands fir Christ and experienced the change in their husbands. We should also be careful not to pronounce judgments on abused women who stay. There are women who live in countries with no legal or social recourse.

I do not know of any passage that addresses the topic of husbands beating their wives. Paul tells husbands are told to love their own flesh. A man does not hate his own flesh but nourishes it. Geberally, sane men do not beat themselves.

If a wife has a husband who is a danger to her, should she get away? The Bible says wives should submit to their own husbands. David had someone who he was obligated to submit to who was trying to kill him, and David fled to save his life.

I see a hypersensitivity to 'abuse' in some curcles. WHO has a eesearch variable that includes 'withold funds' as an intimate partner variable along with violence and thrwats of violence. Not giving your wife cash, quoting Bible verses about submission, and wye rolling are abusive behaviors according to some models. And if a husband and wife keep arguing and making up, tgat can ve seen as part of an abusive pattern. Domestic Violence centers in the US are often run by feminists and may have literature that comes from that perspective. Some of the literature promotes the idea of 'once an abuser, always an abuser". The philosophy lacks grace. And some models for the way abusers are come from extrapolating the patterns of one case, someone who could have been a sociopath, on all cases. Sone of the literature lacjs grace and is inconsistent with a Biblical worldview.

There are abusers who are psychopaths who fit tge mold of a bad guy husband in a Lifetime movie. Some DV households, maybe 30 or 40+% are cases of women who hit men. These are probably vastly under reported. But if he hits her back once or bruises her while restraining ger, the man risks being arrested if she xalls tge police. Some abuser hit once. Some get abusive only while drunk or on drugs. People are complicated.

There are some pastors who echo ideas they have heard who give an abused spouse permission to divorce and remarry. Scriptute does not. Paul wrote 'but and if she depart let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband.'

A woman reading DV literature that a husband who witholds cash, quotes verses about submission, tells her she needs to lose weight, who reads part of the abusive pattern is to argue and make up again could find literature to justify the idea that she is abused, even if her argumentativeness were the root of the problem. Then she hears a pastor say if she is abused to divorce. It is an extreme example but it could happen. Pastors should be aware that 'abuse' can refer to much more than violence. A lot of marriages get past abusive behavior, heal and survive.

Many couples have inflicted verbal abuse, especially if you have a low bar for your definition of it. My wife and I haven't yelled curse words at each other, called each other 'stupid' or names like that, but each of us has said things that hurt the other. It us fairly common in marriage. If you are thinking back for examples of 'verbal abuse' you could probably find them, especially if you keep a record of wrongs.

Regarding cultural background to II Peter, my understanding is that Jewish culture and Talmudic literature (written after the first century but supposed to capture past traditions). I came across a falsely so called 'rabbi' (a title rightly reserved for Messiah) who kived in an Islamic era who advised it for certain infractions and an earlier reference advising it if a qifd cursed her in-laws. Cursing one's own parents was a death penalty crime.

There is a cultural myth that the origin of the phrase 'rule if thumb' men could beat their wives legally with a stick thinner than their thumb. In US colonial history at least, Puritans outlawed wife beating. I can think of a couple of documenrs justifying wife beating from the middle ages, but mt impression is not that, in general, Christians have endorsed it historically, so I would not automatically believe the claims of feminists trying to paint Christian history this way or those trying to justify wife beating from history.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Who are the property owners?
Maybe the roving bands of thugs with access to fuel in this Mad Max scenario.

But if Christ tarries, I could see our societies degenerating if the west stays 'post Christian. The sense of benevolence that underlies western civilization's quest for equal rights will not last, IMO, if it is not anchored to the faith. We see a warping of morality when it comes to rights issues z with countries giving special rights to groups over perverse sexual preferences and the trans madness going on. Sone 'social justice' advocates have demonstrated a great deal of hatred. Killing babies in the womb is ptotected as women's rights.

In the west, men ate being victimized by family law and divorce courts, forced to live out of their parents' basement or their cars in some cases while the courts force a steady stream of income out of him for a second home for his wife and children why he may get neager custody rights. At some point there may be a backlash combined with loss of benevolence if society continues on the current directory. If there us a revival, though, this could turn back the tide, and hopefully reverse some trends. The Bible is also patriarchal and that used to be reflected in the western legal system.

presidente

May 29, 2013
2) Explain to your partner that you will no longer tolerate this behaviour. Whether they are Christian or not they must agree to therapy from a faith-based therapist or normal therapist. Keep a dialogue open with them. Pray for them and try to support them in their attempts to heal. You will have to make a choice if they are genuine or not.

3) The therapist should be able to advise on progress and whether it is safe to meet with them. Obviously, visit in a neutral place at first.
I realize tge context is an extreme case, spousal abuse, but I would like to comment on tge idea of a spouse saying, "I am leaving you if you go to counseling." I have seen this in online discussions of Christian marriage.

Some Christians are wary of psychology and counseling, and it may be for good reason. I have studied some psychology on the doctoral kevel, but not so much clinical psych. I am not totally against it. I can see that Fruedian or Jungian psychology, for example, have areas that conflict with Christian thinking on certain issues.

It is dangerous to ntrust a mediating in a marital conflict to soneone who does not believe that wives should not submit to husbands as to Christ and reverence/fear/respect them and that husbands should love their wives as Christ lives tge church, who also shares convictiobs solidly rooted in Biblical teachings on divorce and remarriage. It is hard to find regular people who believe that in church these days. A meeting to vet a counselor could throw the fuel of secular philosophy on the marital problems.

And many therapists operate from a certain philosophy about individual mental health and recommending separation or divorce may be in their bag of tools. I have read an article about counseling not offering much difference from no counseling when it comes to divorce as an outcome.

The desire not to air dirty laundry may be a less noble reason for declining counseling than a lack of trust of counseling. But it us a common cooncern. Getting help, counsel and advice from someone with divine wisdom, based on the word of God can be very helpful for married ciuples. But how likely are we to get that even from so-called "Christian counselling".

I heard a "Christian counseling" call-in radio show a couple of times where I used to live. Both times, the bits I listened to recommended separation.

One lady called in told some issues she had with her husband. The coynselor said that was verbal abuse and if her husband was being abusive, she should get out of there.

He said this based on a conversation over the radio-- unprofessional in my opinion. He did not inquire as to whether this was characteristic of ger husband. There is also the issue of "his version, my version, and tge truth." He did not inquire as to whether he said this 6 years ago and it was supposed to have been firgiven....just advise separation and let them clean up their mess.

So why risk giving such power to make your marriage even worse to a so-called expert who may not even share your core calues or assign the same priority to saving the marriage?

My wife would suggest marriage counseling a few times when we would argue years ago. Once we went for advice to an older married couple. I think she wanted someone to tell me she was wrong. The wife was a bit stern with her, told ger she needed to submit to her husband and not be so unreasonable. My wife felt gurt and stayed up tgat night praying. I told ger I had heard her talk to other people like tge lasy talked to her. The next morning she told ne the Lord had spoken to her certain things. I told her that was pretty much what the qife told ger. She said it was different coming from the Lord.

Another time we got in an argument and we both overreacted. We went to tge pastor of our church for one session. He fave us some basic advise we knew out of Ephesians, just one session. Then we sorted out our issue in a few days. I had posted something nice about my wife on Facebook before our argument. She read it. It melted ger heart. She posted something nice back and wevresolved our conflict. My wife has gotten easier to deal with over the tears (ither than ann excellent two year Honemoon stage) but maybe I have too.

S

SophieT

1) If your partner is physically or mentally abusing you (husband or wife), then first move out to a place of safety and take the children if you have them (particularly in the case of physical abuse). You do not have to take it. Get family/friends and/or the authorities to help if required.
my understanding is that it is always best to call the police. they will often take the abuser away and perhaps even to jail

the abuser will then have a restraining order slapped on him/her and a court date set

all abuse should be documented.

That would be a personal choice though depending upon the severity, frequency and other factors.
personal choice aside, any hitting or slapping or whatever should NOT be tolerated

S

SophieT

Some Christians are wary of psychology and counseling, and it may be for good reason. I have studied some psychology on the doctoral kevel, but not so much clinical psych. I am not totally against it. I can see that Fruedian or Jungian psychology, for example, have areas that conflict with Christian thinking on certain issues.
there are Christian counsellors who communicate very well and use scripture as their guidelines but with an understanding of the law and the family dynamic as well

If a wife has some legal recourse and a place to go, should she endure physical abuse out of a desire to submit to Christ by submitting to her husband? Is it commendable before God to do so.
absolutely not for one second. this is very bad advice. it is NOT commendable before God to do so in the least. where do you get that from? comparing slave ownership to a marriage in this day and age? God does not commend slave mistreatment either or the mistreatment of animals for that matter. you can find that in the Bible

My wife would suggest marriage counseling a few times when we would argue years ago. Once we went for advice to an older married couple. I think she wanted someone to tell me she was wrong. The wife was a bit stern with her, told ger she needed to submit to her husband and not be so unreasonable. My wife felt gurt and stayed up tgat night praying. I told ger I had heard her talk to other people like tge lasy talked to her. The next morning she told ne the Lord had spoken to her certain things. I told her that was pretty much what the qife told ger. She said it was different coming from the Lord.
an older married couple are not counsellors. they are an older married couple. submission is a word both used as a weapon and only applied to women way too often. I will take scripture over what anyone tells me is coming from God first, in the middle and last. I don't care what your wife said...that is between you and your wife. your story is anecdotal and not evidence of anything other than private interpretation

Another time we got in an argument and we both overreacted. We went to tge pastor of our church for one session. He fave us some basic advise we knew out of Ephesians, just one session. Then we sorted out our issue in a few days. I had posted something nice about my wife on Facebook before our argument. She read it. It melted ger heart. She posted something nice back and wevresolved our conflict. My wife has gotten easier to deal with over the tears (ither than ann excellent two year Honemoon stage) but maybe I have too.
that's nice. were you hitting or beating your wife or vice versa? no? all marriages will experience conflict. abuse is another matter

Jul 8, 2021
my understanding is that it is always best to call the police. they will often take the abuser away and perhaps even to jail

the abuser will then have a restraining order slapped on him/her and a court date set

all abuse should be documented.

personal choice aside, any hitting or slapping or whatever should NOT be tolerated
Yes. I agree. It should not be tolerated under any circumstances.

Jul 8, 2021
I also want to say that we must also try hard to forgive in these situations if the other person has made a genuine attempt to change and has healed. Their problems may stem from deeper issues that can be healed by prayer, faith and science. We should make our best efforts to find a solution, reconcile and follow God.

S

SophieT

I also want to say that we must also try hard to forgive in these situations if the other person has made a genuine attempt to change and has healed. Their problems may stem from deeper issues that can be healed by prayer, faith and science. We should make our best efforts to find a solution, reconcile and follow God.

forgiveness is part of the healing process, but also determined by God as necessary

tolerance, and it seems we agree here, for abuse is not a part of submission

frankly, it truly irks me that someone would think it is commendable to submit under abuse.

presidente

May 29, 2013
there are Christian counsellors who communicate very well and use scripture as their guidelines but with an understanding of the law and the family dynamic as well
Maybe so, but there are also risks involved, and some people are not comfortable with that.

absolutely not for one second. this is very bad advice. it is NOT commendable before God to do so in the least.
Imagine a Christian wife in Saudi Arabia with an abusive husband. She submits to her husband and lives a godly life, suffering persecution from him because of her faith, hoping to win her husband to Christ. She has no legal recourse, and her own family are Muslims. Would you tell her that her suffering for righteousness sake is not commendable before God? Are you willing to tell her that? Who are you to say that? How is that in line with scripture? Wives are not slaves, but both the II Peter 2 slave who suffers for righteousness and the woman in this situation are in a similar situation. Why would the first century slave's suffering be commendable before God, but not the woman's. Historically, women in other cultures were in similar situations. Would you tell the woman in western culture who stays with a husband who has verbally abused her or even hit her on occasion, who wins him to Christ through her godly witness, that her suffering was not commendable before God?

where do you get that from? comparing slave ownership to a marriage in this day and age?
That is not the point.

God does not commend slave mistreatment either or the mistreatment of animals for that matter. you can find that in the Bible
Please read the passages under discussion before commenting. The suffering of the Christian slave who suffers for doing good is commendable before God. The persecutor is not commendable before God for persecuting someone.

an older married couple are not counsellors. they are an older married couple.
They are still offering counsel even if they are not professionals at it. My wife is from another country and uses 'counseling' loosely, so I did not realize she had such a broad concern.

We live in a culture that gives expert authority to men and women in white lab coats with letters after their names. (I've got letters after my name, too, but no white lab coat.) They had experts in the first century, philosophers. The Bible warns against so-called knowledge (word from which we get 'science'). Some schools of psychological thought are at odds with Christian doctrine. Experts on TV will tell married people to fantasize about someone who is not their spouse. In the '80's, Joyce Brothers promoted self-esteem as if it were a cure-all. Some of this stuff is a bunch of fluff. Experts with PhDs and other degrees may have a great deal of education and promote certain theories, but other academics with PhDs may disagree with these theories.

I am not saying there is no value to it at all, or that there are no good counselors. I do not consider psychology as utilaterally evil. I've delved into psychology in PhD seminars, and I suppose there is a chance I could publish in a psychological field if I chose to dedicate the time, and especially if I had an appropriate research partner. I would probably go with large sample sizes instead of case study approaches.

When it comes to counseling we should be discerning. And we should not blindly entrust intimate areas of our lives to experts either. We should vet anyone like this to know if their philosophy is consistent with our faith and what we are trying to accomplish in life.

I spoke with an expert in the field of cross-cultural studies, a doctor of philosophy in a field of psychology. He was of Indian heritage and he explained that in his own country, various relatives would give (often unsolicited) advice about marriage to newlyweds. Marital advice from parents and going to parents for mediation on marital issues is common in my wife's culture also. He said that going to therapists and clinical psychologists is primarily a western phenomenon, something seen in individualistic societies, not so much in collectivist societies like the one he was from. There are psychological practices here and there in large Asian cities. But in the US, you have people living alone in large cities, socially disconnected from others. In some places, lonely individuals pay to go to therapists to work out issues that people in other countries work out by talking to relatives and maybe friends.

Christians existed for centuries, until the 1800's, before psychological counseling emerged as a distinct profession. The Bible does not command Christians to go to psychologist. It does tell wives to submit to their husbands, and contains teachings against divorce and remarriage. A wife, for example, demanding a husband go to counseling with a trained therapist or psychologist or else she will leaving, is therefore, problematic.

submission is a word both used as a weapon and only applied to women way too often.
In the circles I have been around, I would say it is not used often enough. Preachers seem afraid of the term. i heard a preacher once read from Ephesians 5 read about wives submitting to husbands, then say everyone heard a lot about that, and then focus on communication. I remember thinking, no not everyone has heard about that. This was a seeker sensitive church, and plenty of people were born after the 1970s. If preachers always kick the can down the road, a lot of people have never heard the teaching. Maybe some people hear it preached on every month, but i doubt that is the case with most US evangelicals.

The reason why submission comes up in connection with women is because when the topic of wives comes up in the epistles, it is often accompanied by instructions that or a reference to the fact that wives are to wives to submit to their husbands. I can think of four examples.

that's nice. were you hitting or beating your wife or vice versa? no? all marriages will experience conflict. abuse is another matter
No, of course not. Do you beat your husband?

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
That’s only if she’s betrothed. He dies for forced adultery, not rape.

If a man forces himself on a woman and steals her virginity then it’s up to her father to give her to him to marry. Look it up.
common sense and the rest of the text tells any honest person that "forced adultery " is in fact rape. nice try. What is your correction for the other statements I made?

25 “But if a man finds an engaged girl out in the field and forces her to have sexual relations with him, only the man must die. 26 You must do nothing to the girl. She did nothing that deserves the punishment of death. This is like someone attacking their neighbor and killing them. 27 The man found the engaged girl out in the field and attacked her. Maybe she called for help, but there was no one to help her.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
CS1 Said

Nothing is sexier than a woman who knows how to use a rolling pin? What ever happened to the June Cleavers out there? Every episode of Leave it to Beaver she was in the kitchen. I’m not sure most people even own a rolling pin anymore. Maybe the dudes threw them out to avoid the bruises.

When 50 shades came out, and everyone was talking about it. There was a radio DJ whose mom didn’t order stuff on line so thinking it was just some book he ordered it for her. Anyways, the callers all reported about how this book was causing their wives to go crazy sexual. Dudes who were sexually starved, all of a sudden couldn’t get a break. This is what spurred my investigation. There’s many more groups than you would believe who practice this regularly. It’s not a sexual thing. They just feel it improves their relationship, clearly defines their roles and causes the wife to be receptive sexually. The more I researched biological reasons, it points to basic instinct. Like most mammals a show of dominance in males causes these natural reactions in females.

I did not say this I was quoting You.

yet you are trying to make it look like you said this below in post 128 you did not

this is what I always find amazing when topics like this come to a thread. From the topic thread name:

The answer Biblically should be a resounding NO!

Yet 7 pages to what should be scriptural references to show the answer to this question are no, we have those who used the following over the word of God to answer this such as:

1. secular humanism
  2. perverted shows
  3. feminism
  4. evolution
  5. ones own experience and unproven opinions

I find it also a great lack of discernment on my professing Christian who do not see the trollish approach to this thread and the subtle pull down in depravity in this topic. Like a sexual revolution, those here have been bamboozled from a false Narrative which started with a question of:

Now let us look where it has gone and please tell me How Jesus and the word of God is the silent witness to this most edifying topic?

1. ""Peter suggests that a Christian wife should be prepared to stand some abuse
  2. bedwetting
  3. "I’m not writing this from a Biblical perspective but you can’t deny this." ( please read the title to this thread )
  4. "I’ve read over the years and psychology articles to examine how we are wonderfully made", (the office of psychology was not given by God)
  5. What I believe aligns with Scripture if there is Scripture to align it with. ( not sound exegesis )
  6. the show two shades of gray used to explain reality from the fictional shows.
  7. " nobody agrees that abuse of one's wife is right
Number #7 is very funny because is the nobody the word of God position on the topic or the nobody a biblical one?

on and on it goes.

what is the last post this far what biblical truth has been made? let's see?

"This makes me think these types of men don't understand the significance of rape. A lot of men don't really understand rape, what women go through until they see movies such as Deliverance or Pulp Fiction; they are a lot of commentary on this."

"He gave me the knowledge to rebuild, and the strength to protect. "

Only if you had used the word of God over your own carnal intellect. the

slice it, dice it, rename it put one's opinion add secular humanism and evolution all you want.

The answer to this question in this thread biblically is NO!
That’s incorrect. There is no law against beating your wife and children. There is not any Law anymore. That’s why it’s such an open discussion. There are clear distinctions regarding homosexuality, adultery, murder, and sorcery. Violence towards wives never made the list. I caught a guy breaking into our car. Everyone told me I should have pounded him. The police wouldn’t have cared if I kicked the snot out of some meth head. I didn’t though. I’m a Christian, the Body of Christ. I don’t need to use the Bible as some legal document, searching for loopholes to validate poor behavior. If you even want to beat your wife and own slaves I question your salvation. There is no love in you.[/QUOTE]

what is 50 shades ???

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
I would like to put the poo emoji as a response to this and I guess I could because there it sits

I mean it's not like the quality of this thread could possibly sink lower
Exactly how is exposing Christian Domestic Discipline Movement aka Violence against women wrong?

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
The coding got messed up, and a number of people quoted it that way...

Rolling pin first mentioned in post #68 and #71 and then quoted in #78 with messed up coding.
Try copying and paste the text into a notepad, then copy and paste from there into a reply box.

CS1

May 23, 2012
CS1, I can no longer understand the communication in the contaminated post. All I can see is that you disagree with sound logic. If there was one simple Scriptural reference that says don’t beat your wife then obviously this thread would have been one page. The problem is that it doesn’t. The problem is that Christians think the entire Bible is written to them and it’s not. The OT was for the Jews and much of the NT was letters written to Churches. Then what, the Holy Spirit no longer communicates? There is no transforming of the mind? We are not allowed to use logic, reasoning and observation to make conclusions about our world? Let me ask you, is it Scriptural to invest in the stock market? It is not in the Bible. Here is my point: The OP asked a question that has no simple answer. There is a spectrum of physicality between rage induced violence and a smack on the bottom. There is interpretive difference between the Mosaic Law and the Body of Christ. There is cultural difference from what social norms were then and now, and even governmental laws and restrictions. This applies for all of Scripture. Not to mention how my child would respond to one type of discipline wouldn’t be the same as yours. We are to pray without ceasing for a reason. This is how God wants us to discern our actions in our situations. Going to a book for indirect answers when you can personally ask the Author is stupid. If you don’t like the conversation then go find another thread to heckle. Your clear objection to this permitted discussion doesn’t add to the topic. It’s being unnecessarily combative.

I agree with you in part we are to have an application of scripture yet all scripture was written in a time frame NOT like ours today. All scripture was written to the people of God on the day it was said. All scripture today is for us in the proper context and applying it correctly God confirms it. That being said the word of God in context to moral respectful treatment of women is well seen in the bible yet all are suffering from the fall of man because of sin which is the same thing destroying men and women today as it did on day one of the fall.

Please don't get mad because you have used secular humanism to explain biblical truths and were called on it.

S

SophieT

Maybe so, but there are also risks involved, and some people are not comfortable with that.
risks? try 'submitting' to a person who thinks hitting his wife is the 'Christian' thing to do. that, is what I would consider uncomfortable and so would the woman being hit or slapped or whatever. and by the way, verbal and emotional abuse is also used as a method for control...because that is what is really going on. a man doing that to his wife is not acting as a husband but rather someone who views his wife as chattel

Imagine a Christian wife in Saudi Arabia with an abusive husband.
did not read further. this is not what is being discussed. you go from your own wife to a woman in Saudi Arabia. this is commonly called a 'false dilemma'. we are talking about so called Christians hitting their wives. NOT an abusive Saudi man who is not a Christian.

That is not the point.
comparing slave ownership to a marriage is not the point? It pretty much is the point since you introduced it. get serious

next, you go into a long ramble about other cultures and try to reason from that aspect. this is really not a complicated thread. The question was this:

In the circles I have been around, I would say it is not used often enough. Preachers seem afraid of the term. i heard a preacher once read from Ephesians 5 read about wives submitting to husbands, then say everyone heard a lot about that, and then focus on communication. I remember thinking, no not everyone has heard about that. This was a seeker sensitive church, and plenty of people were born after the 1970s. If preachers always kick the can down the road, a lot of people have never heard the teaching. Maybe some people hear it preached on every month, but i doubt that is the case with most US evangelicals.

The reason why submission comes up in connection with women is because when the topic of wives comes up in the epistles, it is often accompanied by instructions that or a reference to the fact that wives are to wives to submit to their husbands. I can think of four examples.
I can think of scripture that states we are to submit to one another and husbands are to love their wives as Christ loved the church

I know why submission comes up and much of the time it is misused, abused and loving the wife is not even mentioned

No, of course not. Do you beat your husband?
that was obviously a rhetorical question. you deliberately have left out what I said after that.

this is how I actually worded that:

addressing abuse in general and not you hitting your wife. don't try that on. I don't bite

below is what I addressed my comment to:

I think you probably understood what I was actually saying.

S

SophieT

Exactly how is exposing Christian Domestic Discipline Movement aka Violence against women wrong?

LOL!

I think you were just being sensational and you got the responses that went along with that. :sneaky:

basically, click bait. never said it was 'wrong' though. you can post whatever you want as long as the mods accept it

S

SophieT

If there was one simple Scriptural reference that says don’t beat your wife then obviously this thread would have been one page.
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her Ephesians 5:25

Christ does not beat up on believers, nor slap, hit or verbally and emotionally abuse them

maybe renew your mind as scripture says that we should and then your 'studies' will look a little less 'acceptable'

The OP asked a question that has no simple answer.
that says it all. YOU do not like the simple answer which is NO

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Looking at the quote, I do not see the topic as the author saying it is just for a man to beat his wife. He seems to be saying a Christian wife should be willing to endure an unjust beating from a husband disobedient to the word.
Is the husband the arbiter who decides whether or not his wife is conforming to the Word? No Christian wife should be willing to be physically abused by her husband for any reason whatsoever.