Is it Biblically permissive to beat one's wife?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

SophieT

quite boring at this point

presidente

May 29, 2013
That question wasn’t for you. He asked if I could imagine God spanking a woman. I can’t picture God spanking a child, so his point is as irrelevant as his ridiculous rebuttals. I don’t think spanking wives is recommended by Scripture New or Old Testament. My point all along has been that considering there is no Mosaic Law against it, and the women being treated more as property than equals, I’m certain it was accepted socially. I made a comment earlier on that some women wouldn’t be as opposed to getting spanked based on the popularity of the 50 shades series. Then dude started in on me being some sort of pedophile and pervert who spanks women out of depravity. All accusations are unfounded and malicious. There…now you’re all caught up.
If that's the case, I apologize for asking you a question earlier. I jumped into the thread and misunderstood your stance on the issue.

Nov 26, 2012
Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; A stranger, and not your own lips. Proverbs 27:2
Thanks for yet another random inapplicable verse. I’m sure you feel Scripturally superior.

presidente

May 29, 2013
You keep saying "I find" as if you are an authority of sorts we all must kiss your ring.
"I find" doesn't mean that the person posting is supposed to be an expert. I think you may be projecting some ideas onto other posters. Why not dial it back a bit? There is no need to attack.

Nov 26, 2012
Thanks for yet another random inapplicable verse. I’m sure you feel Scripturally superior.
SophieT, That’s where you could say, “I feel Scripturally confident” and it wouldn’t be boastful. See the difference when you use it in context?

CS1

May 23, 2012
I brown up hamburger, add various spices, diced tomato's, sauteed onlons, green pepper, minced garlic, various types of beans out of a can using the liquid in all of the cans including the diced tomatos. Add tomato juice to thin it out a little. Bring to boil stirring frequently. Add a couple handfuls of macaroni. Let simmer on low heat for about 45 minutes.
That sound very good to me :p

CS1

May 23, 2012
love the "ignore" tab it works wonders LOL :)

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
"Is it Biblically permissive to beat one's wife?"

Out of reverence for the ladies, this actually made me laugh chuckle out loud. What in the world?!

T

TheIndianGirl

If the wife is into spanking as a form of sexual activity, I think that falls under the category of sex not under corporate punishment. If the spanking is consensual, then I guess it is not abuse. If it is not consensual then it is abuse. There is a scene in Handmaid's Tale where Commander Waterford spanks Serena with a belt (she was fully dressed) for disobedience, it was horrific to watch. Even though I doubt this spanking caused a lot of physical harm, I think it is definitely abuse. If the wife consents to corporal punishment, I think it is still abuse.

Just because someone feels slightly aroused during abuse doesn't means she wants it. This is the manipulative language abusers use to convince their victims they wanted it (or that it wasn't abuse).

T

TheIndianGirl

presidente

May 29, 2013
If the wife is into spanking as a form of sexual activity, I think that falls under the category of sex not under corporate punishment. If the spanking is consensual, then I guess it is not abuse. If it is not consensual then it is abuse.
There has got to be more than 'consensual' to make something abuse. What about people who dress up in black leather and whip each other with whips and chains until they bleed, and think it is sexy? Is that not abuse because it is consensual?

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I made a comment earlier on that some women wouldn’t be as opposed to getting spanked based on the popularity of the 50 shades series.
May I make a suggestion? Get your head out of the boob-tube and get it into the Book. Separate yourself from the unclean perversions around you and seek holiness in thy thoughts and ways. Acquire a desire for going higher.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
A professional psychiatrist would probably agree with me.
Perhaps you envision yourself standing before a board of professional psychiatrist on the day you seek entrance into the Kingdom of Heaven?

T

TheIndianGirl

There has got to be more than 'consensual' to make something abuse. What about people who dress up in black leather and whip each other with whips and chains until they bleed, and think it is sexy? Is that not abuse because it is consensual?
Agree. I changed what I wrote at the end of the paragraph, should have deleted the earlier sentence.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I read this whole article and the most fascinating part is that none of it has anything to do with anything i stated. Please use your God given brain to be accurate. Are you telling me that if my wife decided to yell at me and I said, “We will have no more of that.” and a smacked her butt, and she got “tingly”, then that even closely relates to that article. Take a step back…or two. You seem to think I’m the poster boy for domestic violence. All I was saying originally was some women, not all, but some get “tingly” when a man demonstrates his authority as in the scenario given.
Perhaps, for some reason, some woman put up with being bullied, maybe out of fear. Would it be acceptable to swat a woman who did not get 'tingly'?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Not only is it abuse it is also sick.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I read this whole article and the most fascinating part is that none of it has anything to do with anything i stated. Please use your God given brain to be accurate. Are you telling me that if my wife decided to yell at me and I said, “We will have no more of that.” and a smacked her butt, and she got “tingly”, then that even closely relates to that article. Take a step back…or two. You seem to think I’m the poster boy for domestic violence. All I was saying originally was some women, not all, but some get “tingly” when a man demonstrates his authority as in the scenario given.
You have gone waaaaay beyond overexposing yourself. You should have stopped a long time ago.:(

Apr 12, 2021
It is permissible to beat your wife under the following circumstances (this list is not exhaustive, so feel free to add on):

1. When you're both awakened by your crying newborn, it is permissible to beat your wife to be first to say "I'll go."

2. After a silly argument, it is permissible to beat your wife to be first to say "I'm sorry, and I love you."

3. It is permissible to beat your wife from having to say it, by just doingit: taking out the trash

Nov 26, 2012
May I make a suggestion? Get your head out of the boob-tube and get it into the Book. Separate yourself from the unclean perversions around you and seek holiness in thy thoughts and ways. Acquire a desire for going higher.
That’s rather presumptuous. Just because I heard about the huge reaction to a book series doesn’t mean I’m saturating my mind with the filth. The interest I had in it is the why. I’m curious in the psychological reasons, not just the obvious because they don’t know Jesus. If a person craves a type of food, it is quite possible they are lacking a nutrient they need. What are men failing to provide women that creates this desire? I have my theories, but clearly not welcome here.