Is it Just Me Or....

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ManiaStar

Senior Member
Nov 14, 2015
381
29
28
Do you think the radio stations, any genre of music plays too many songs that sing about relationships?

Except maybe hard rock and heavy metal. I don't think I often hear those styles of music playing too many songs about relationships

But, over the past week, I've kind of been down in the dumps quite a bit especially today, and listening to the music on the radio, almost every song or every other song sings about relationships and in my own mind, I don't want to hear it.

I struggle enough w/ relationships and what not and hearing songs about relationships makes things in my own mind so much worse.

Can't people sing about anything else besides relationships and what not?

I remember when there used to be a rock station/heavy metal station near me. I would listen to that music and I personally could relate to it, in a good way. I would get a positive message out of many of the songs.

But I don't get any positive message out of listening to 95% of the songs nowadays --- I'm referring to pop music and rap/hiphop/r&b styles.

What are your thoughts?

I feel the only way to get around that style of music and their horrible lyrics is to turn on pandora all the time when driving in the car but, there's not always wifi signals to pick it up on.

I try to pick myself up but love listening to music but, don't care to hear anymore music about relationships and love and what not. I don't want to hear it.

I know easy answer is to turn the radio off. But driving in silence is almost just as bad as it makes my mind wander and makes me think of stuff I'd rather not be thinking about.

So which is the lesser of the 2 evils?!? idk, they're both pretty bad.
 
Stream podcasts. You can download them at home when you have WiFi and you're good to go on the road.
 
Hmm... my music collection has all kinds of styles, from bluegrass to black to rock to hard rock to rap. I don't remember many songs talking about relationships.

Of course my music is all christian. Styles from all over, but all of it is christian. So that might be the reason.


I'm reminded of a song though:

Some people say the world is fuuuuuull of silly love songs
I look around me and I seeeeee it isn't so
Some people want to fill the woooooorld with silly love songs
What's wrong with that
I'd like to know
 
  • Like
Reactions: JesusLives
Love (and loss) is a poopular theme. It is hackneyed, but lots of people can relate. Part of why I've enjoyed Rush so much is because a lot of their lyrics are relevant, yet they deviated from that theme.
 
You don't really state if you only have radio, or if you have cassette, etc.. Or if you have CD but it's broken.
But there used to be a device that emitted radio signals and you could plug it into an mp3/cd player. You just tune your radio to the signal.
There also used to be cassette versions where you used a cassette type device with a cord that you plugged into your cd/mp3 player. May have to go online to find them now, but it may be an option to look into. If they are still around.
My car has a USB plug so i can take a memory stick and plug that in.
 
Love and relationship experiences are super impressionable. Generally speaking they are relatable to pretty much anyone. As a consequence it's the most popular genre. Off the top of my head, I can't really think of a song that isn't about a relationship. (Except Pharrell Williams.)
 
I don't listen to too much Christian music nowadays. I used to own an mp3 player but, since I received my first smart phone, i found no need to carry an mp3 player around w/ me and I wouldn't want to leave it in the car. The songs I had on my mp3 player about 90% of them didn't talk about relationships. Only since I started listening to the radio more have I found that the songs on the radio, like i said minus the rock/hard rock/classic rock songs, sing about relationships.

I know life is about love/relationships/loss, etc and I realize people can relate but, those of us who are single who "feel" it some times more often and can eat at a person making them to not want to listen to music at all.

Granted, there are some songs that are about relationships that I do like but most of them make me think about my situation and its no fun.
 
Well, love is a vital part of our lives, even if it sometimes takes wrong shapes.

Also, if there is something that's on your mind, it will seem as if it appears everywhere (whether it's a good thing or a bad thing), it's just that you notice more easily.

Do you have a DAB radio? Try and find a channel that is less likely to have love songs
 
Just for fun, here are the top ten songs from 1976:

[TABLE="class: sortable alternate songtable"]
[TR]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]Wings[/TD]
[TD]Silly Love Songs[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]Elton John and Kiki Dee[/TD]
[TD]Don't Go Breaking My Heart[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]Johnnie Taylor[/TD]
[TD]Disco Lady[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]Four Seasons[/TD]
[TD]December, 1963 (Oh, What A Night)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]Wild Cherry[/TD]
[TD]Play That Funky Music[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]Manhattans[/TD]
[TD]Kiss And Say Goodbye[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]Miracles[/TD]
[TD]Love Machine (Part 1)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]Paul Simon[/TD]
[TD]50 Ways To Leave Your Lover[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]Gary Wright[/TD]
[TD]Love Is Alive[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]Walter Murphy and The Big Apple Band[/TD]
[TD]A Fifth Of Beethoven
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

and from 1986:

[TABLE="class: sortable alternate songtable"]
[TR]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]Dionne and Friends[/TD]
[TD]That's What Friends Are For[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]Lionel Richie[/TD]
[TD]Say You, Say Me[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]Klymaxx[/TD]
[TD]I Miss You[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]Patti Labelle and Michael McDonald[/TD]
[TD]On My Own[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]Mr. Mister[/TD]
[TD]Broken Wings[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]Whitney Houston[/TD]
[TD]How Will I Know[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]Eddie Murphy[/TD]
[TD]Party All The Time[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]Survivor[/TD]
[TD]Burning Heart[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]Mr. Mister[/TD]
[TD]Kyrie[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]Robert Palmer[/TD]
[TD]Addicted To Love[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

...and from 1996:

[TABLE="class: sortable alternate songtable"]
[TR]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]Los Del Rio[/TD]
[TD]Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men[/TD]
[TD]One Sweet Day[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]Celine Dion[/TD]
[TD]Because You Loved Me[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]Tony Rich Project[/TD]
[TD]Nobody Knows[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]Mariah Carey[/TD]
[TD]Always Be My Baby[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]Tracy Chapman[/TD]
[TD]Give Me One Reason[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]Bone Thugs-N-Harmony[/TD]
[TD]Tha Crossroads[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]Donna Lewis[/TD]
[TD]I Love You Always Forever[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]Toni Braxton[/TD]
[TD]You're Makin' Me High / Let It Flow[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]Keith Sweat[/TD]
[TD]Twisted[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

...from 2006:

[TABLE="class: sortable alternate songtable"]
[TR]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]Daniel Powter[/TD]
[TD]Bad Day[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]Sean Paul[/TD]
[TD]Temperature[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]Nelly Furtado feat. Timbaland[/TD]
[TD]Promiscuous[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]James Blunt[/TD]
[TD]You're Beautiful[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]Shakira feat. Wyclef Jean[/TD]
[TD]Hips Don't Lie[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]Natasha Bedingfield[/TD]
[TD]Unwritten[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]Gnarls Barkley[/TD]
[TD]Crazy[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]Chamillionaire feat. Krayzie Bone[/TD]
[TD]Ridin'[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]Justin Timberlake[/TD]
[TD]Sexyback[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]Beyonce feat. Slim Thug[/TD]
[TD]Check on It[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]


current top ten:

1 Rhianna (featuring Drake) Work
2 Justin Bieber Love Yourself
3 Twenty One Pilots Stressed Out
4 Justin Bieber Sorry
5. Flo Rida My House
6. Zayn Pillowtalk
7. G-Eazy x BB Rexha Me, Myself and I
8. Adele Hello
9. DNCE Cake by the Ocean
10. The Chainsmokers (featuring Rozes) Roses


OK, the results:

1976 - Disco Lady, Play that Funky Music, Love is Alive, A Fifth of Beethoven (instrumental disco) - not directly about relationships (60% of Top Ten songs about relationships)

1986 - Burning Heart, Kyrie - not directly about relationships (80% of Top Ten songs about relationships)

1996 - Macarena, The Crossroads (honestly, I have no idea what this is about) - not directly about relationships (80% about relationships)

2006 - Bad Day, Unwritten, Ridin' (what's this I don't even...) - not directly about relationships (80% about relationships)

2016 - Stressed Out - not directly about relationships; Me, Myself & I (appears to be about a 'sexual' relationship with self, so I will count it among the "relationship" songs) - (90 % about relationships)

TBH - I've only heard the Adele song out of the current hits.

It looks like the ratio between non-relationship songs and relationship songs has varied little since the 80's. You may want to consider some instrumental classical, or even some of the "disco" classical from the 70's. Also, an interesting genre of music that kind of died in the 70's was the "story song," among which were "The Devil Went Down to Georgia," "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia," and "Ode to Billy Joe."

If you want current, you may have to go with alternative music. Nowadays, most producers want the artists to follow a formula where they have to get to the chorus by a certain amount of time. You have to go elsewhere to find music that strays from this and is a bit experimental. The more experimental stuff you find, you may find music that varies more in it's topics as well.
 
I don't listen to too much Christian music nowadays. I used to own an mp3 player but, since I received my first smart phone, i found no need to carry an mp3 player around w/ me and I wouldn't want to leave it in the car. The songs I had on my mp3 player about 90% of them didn't talk about relationships. Only since I started listening to the radio more have I found that the songs on the radio, like i said minus the rock/hard rock/classic rock songs, sing about relationships.

I know life is about love/relationships/loss, etc and I realize people can relate but, those of us who are single who "feel" it some times more often and can eat at a person making them to not want to listen to music at all.

Granted, there are some songs that are about relationships that I do like but most of them make me think about my situation and its no fun.

Well, it's bring your own music, the radio or nothing at all then. An MP3 player doesn't have to be pricey. Find a cheaper one and keep it in your glove box.
 
i listen to cds in my car. and for radio, it's usually on a christian station.

you can try classical music? most, if not all, of those pieces have no words :)
 
Try a classical or jazz radio station.
Also, NPR has lovely programming on the weekends...I love Car Talk and all the quiz shows.
Or use your smartphone to download a podcast streaming app (I use podcast addict) and listen to podcasts.
 
Henceforth I shall only write songs about chocolate.

Wait, that's a relationship as well. Doh!
 
This brings to mind the song...

All by Myself....don't want to be ..... all by myself anymore....

And I'm not..... good luck to you finding your music.
 
Some people want to fill the world with silly love songs
And what's wrong with that?
I'd like to know
'Cause here I go again..

Love doesn't come in a minute
Sometimes it doesn't come at all
I only know that when I'm in it
It isn't silly, love isn't silly, love isn't silly at all

"Silly Love Songs" - Paul McCartney & Wings
 
One of my favorite songs I ever wrote was in my alternative section of files
It was about 'breaking up with myself'
Because I realized that I can't and won't change others...but I CAN change myself :)

Knowing God loves you so much...is the BEST love song ever
Amazing! :)
 
This brings to mind the song...

All by Myself....don't want to be ..... all by myself anymore....

And I'm not..... good luck to you finding your music.

Lol when I'm in a horrible self pity mood I listen to heartbreak hotel because it's so over the top that it's funny and he makes fun of it himself too.
I seldom listen to the radio. I don't mind if I hear a love song in the supermarket. It's better than all that crap on the radio. Would make me depressed too if I had to listen to that the whole day.
I listen to nothing or good worship, like that guy from Brownsville. It's not bad a love song now and then but they can't praise and love God so they have to sing about a crush.
 
I feel the only way to get around that style of music and their horrible lyrics is to turn on pandora all the time when driving in the car but, there's not always wifi signals to pick it up on.

I know easy answer is to turn the radio off. But driving in silence is almost just as bad as it makes my mind wander and makes me think of stuff I'd rather not be thinking about.

You don't really state if you only have radio, or if you have cassette, etc.. Or if you have CD but it's broken.
But there used to be a device that emitted radio signals and you could plug it into an mp3/cd player. You just tune your radio to the signal.
There also used to be cassette versions where you used a cassette type device with a cord that you plugged into your cd/mp3 player. May have to go online to find them now, but it may be an option to look into. If they are still around.
My car has a USB plug so i can take a memory stick and plug that in.

I used to own an mp3 player but, since I received my first smart phone, i found no need to carry an mp3 player around w/ me and I wouldn't want to leave it in the car. The songs I had on my mp3 player about 90% of them didn't talk about relationships.

Robert Fulghum once related a story of hearing someone complain at work about opening his lunchbox and seeing the same stupid tuna sandwich every day. Fulghum's natural response was to ask him who made his lunches. "I do," he replied. Some might call this standing knee deep in the river and dying of thirst.