Is it Necessary to be in The Body of Christ in Order to be Saved?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Necessary to be in The Body of Christ, & to eat the bread & drink the chalice of the Lord worthily?

• Total voters
Oct 24, 2019
Is it necessary to be in the Body of Christ, and to eat the bread and drink the chalice of the Lord worthily in order to be saved?

1 Corinthians 11:27
Therefore whosoever shall eat this bread, or drink the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord.

1 Corinthians 12:27
Now you are the body of Christ, and members of member.

DB7

Dec 29, 2014
Hi Jaden, I believe that you asked 2 separate questions?
1. do we need to be in the body of Christ (Church), a. yes, ...but everyone who believes is automatically in the Church?
...Do you mean regular attendance, a. I'd say definitely not
2. is the eucharist required a. no
Paul was admonishing against gluttony, selfishness and misguided intent for being at the church, this is the motive behind the warning.
If you've come to the house of the Lord, and the tradition was to break bread, don't do it with indulgence and hedonism, for you are showing contempt for Christ and what he instituted.
It is not a mandatory ritual, and no one is better or worse if they break bread together.
But, if you're going to break bread, do it with respect and reverence, remembering where this practice came from, otherwise, don't do it at all,

1 Corinthians 11:22
11:22. Don't you have homes to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you for this? Certainly not!

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
To get real clarity here, is the body of Christ every believer.. or representing the unit of the local church?

Where is the big 'C' church in scripture?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
To get real clarity here, is the body of Christ every believer.. or representing the unit of the local church? Where is the big 'C' church in scripture?
The Body of Christ is the Church. This includes every child of God who has been saved by grace and is kept by the power of God. But in order to be saved one must believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and receive Him as Lord and Savior.

Christendom is not necessarily the Body of Christ.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Is it necessary to be in the Body of Christ, and to eat the bread and drink the chalice of the Lord worthily in order to be saved?

Therefore whosoever shall eat this bread, or drink the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord.

Your first post question is different from your thread heading question you have added to it..

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
To your title question, "Is it Necessary to be in The Body of Christ in Order to be Saved?"...

You cannot be one without also being the other. If you are saved, you are in the body of Christ.

That has nothing to do with regular attendance at a local service or formal membership in a local body, though attendance is certainly encouraged.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
To your title question, "Is it Necessary to be in The Body of Christ in Order to be Saved?"...

You cannot be one without also being the other. If you are saved, you are in the body of Christ.

That has nothing to do with regular attendance at a local service or formal membership in a local body, though attendance is certainly encouraged.
Unless Dino is attending. Ugh, insufferable.

😆
❤️

Feb 28, 2016
ROM. 8:9.
But you are not in the flesh, but in The Spirit, if so be that The Spirit of God dwell in you.
Now if any man have not The Spirit of Christ, he is none of His.
EPH. 1:13.
In whom you also trusted, after that you heard The Word of Truth, the gospel of your Salvation:
in Whom also after that you believed, you were sealed with 'that Holy Spirit of Promise',

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Apr 12, 2019
No, this is a false gospel of eternal damnation, the bible declares that a person is saved by faith alone, which means that only through Christ can a person be saved from wrath to eternal life.

Galatians 2:15-16 “We who are Jews by birth and not sinful Gentiles 16 know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in[d] Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.

Salvation is apart from any merit (aka grace), its free to all who believe on Jesus Christ.

We obey God not to be saved, but because of salvation.

Also important to note the other flip-side of the coin, If someone says i believe, but there faith doesn't produce righteousness, then that faith is a dead faith, aka that person has never believed, aka been turned from Sin to God through Christ Alone. There Liars.

dodgingstones

Nov 20, 2019
You got it backwards in your Title. It IS necessary to be saved to be in the Body. The Church established by Christ is the Body. A mistake on your part, or some other reason for the wording?

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
I see it this way...

At eternal salvation.. someone joins the Family of God

After baptism by full immersion.. they can then be admitted to join a local church.. the local body of Christ.

So it is not necessary to perform any ritual to be eternally saved.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
there's no salvation apart from Christ

it is by grace through faith, not of works, lest anyone should boast

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019

The believer is united with Christ. You can't be united with Christ, and not be united with the rest of His body.

I am continually amazed by church rebels who claim it is not necessary to participate in the church community in face-to-face relationships.

The NT is clear concerning this issue..we are to experience communion and baptism in the context of the Church, as well as being overseen and sometimes disciplined by elders.

Well, I am not really totally amazed because I know it is the nature of fallen man to be autonomous (self-ruling) and to resent authority of any type, and the flesh doesn't totally disappear at the point of the new birth..there is still a remnant of this in the believer.

By the way, 1) I am not denying that homebound people are believers, or others in rare circumstances of isolation due to health or whatever; I believe God gives them extra grace in their isolation 2) I don't consider internet fellowship to be replacements for face-to-face relationships in the church community and 3) I am not denying the fact that the church can cause offense to believers sometimes.

Apr 15, 2017

I would like to know did Jesus give us eternal life or does it only go on for a while and then we cease to exist like the flesh will perish on earth, although it lasts a while longer but is still called eternal life even though it might be 10,000 years like a person that stands in line and says I been standing here forever but they really have not.

Or are those really clouds up in the sky or are they really big ole' puffy, fluffy, and stuffy marshmallows.

Now I understand the reasoning and validity for people asking is the moon made out of cheese for like some people say there is no such thing as a stupid question.

But I am playing around, and of course we have to be part of the body of Christ which is the Church.

Apr 12, 2019
I would like to know did Jesus give us eternal life or does it only go on for a while and then we cease to exist like the flesh will perish on earth, although it lasts a while longer but is still called eternal life even though it might be 10,000 years like a person that stands in line and says I been standing here forever but they really have not.

Or are those really clouds up in the sky or are they really big ole' puffy, fluffy, and stuffy marshmallows.

Now I understand the reasoning and validity for people asking is the moon made out of cheese for like some people say there is no such thing as a stupid question.

But I am playing around, and of course we have to be part of the body of Christ which is the Church.
Well that's nice Matt, but the reality is that he is talking about salvation, if he means do we have to go to church in order to be saved the answer is NO, this is a false gospel, we know that we are saved through believing alone, which means that a person is turned away from sin to holiness through the gospel alone, now going to church is apart of being holy, but there is no salvation through our works or through doing anything to be saved, faith means the opposite, it means we trust in Christ for salvation, not our deeds of righteousness.

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved, it doesn't say Believe on the Lord Jesus and do obedience to be saved, that's a false gospel and it will send many to hell. (the catholic church believes this false gospel as many other false religions).

This is the same as saying, to be saved you have to dip yourself in water or your going to hell, another false gospel.

The water is an expression of salvation, not the cause of salvation, not of works lest anyone should boast.

Sep 3, 2016
Question for all? If you proclaim Jesus, but forsake the CROSS are you saved? Are you in the body of Christ if you forsake the CROSS?

Apr 12, 2019
Question for all? If you proclaim Jesus, but forsake the CROSS are you saved?
No the bible teaches that if you forsake the gospel then you'll be damned:
Colossians 1:21
21 And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, 22 he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him, 23 if indeed you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed in all creation[g] under heaven, and of which I, Paul, became a minister.

IF someone leaves the gospel, they are an apostate and will go to hell, why? because they have no covering for there sins except through the cross, to forsake the cross is to be punished for your own sins, its to reject the only way of Salvation, Jesus Christ.

This is how salvation works out in this life, with you and i clinging to Christ until the end.

Sep 3, 2016
No the bible teaches that if you forsake the gospel then you'll be damned:
Colossians 1:21
21 And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, 22 he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him, 23 if indeed you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed in all creation[g] under heaven, and of which I, Paul, became a minister.

IF someone leaves the gospel, they are an apostate and will go to hell, why? because they have no covering for there sins except through the cross, to forsake the cross is to be punished for your own sins, its to reject the only way of Salvation, Jesus Christ.

This is how salvation works out in this life, with you and i clinging to Christ until the end.
This is called "Spiritual Adultery (Rom. 7:1-4); proclaiming Jesus, but forsaking the cross (lukewarm-The Law of sin and death).

If you leave the cross, you walk away from God!

Apr 15, 2017
Well that's nice Matt, but the reality is that he is talking about salvation, if he means do we have to go to church in order to be saved the answer is NO, this is a false gospel, we know that we are saved through believing alone, which means that a person is turned away from sin to holiness through the gospel alone, now going to church is apart of being holy, but there is no salvation through our works or through doing anything to be saved, faith means the opposite, it means we trust in Christ for salvation, not our deeds of righteousness.

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved, it doesn't say Believe on the Lord Jesus and do obedience to be saved, that's a false gospel and it will send many to hell. (the catholic church believes this false gospel as many other false religions).

This is the same as saying, to be saved you have to dip yourself in water or your going to hell, another false gospel.

The water is an expression of salvation, not the cause of salvation, not of works lest anyone should boast.
I understand, but the way he worded it being part of the body of Christ which would mean the spiritual Church, and not the physical building for not all people who go to the physical building are part of the body of Christ, and there are some to honor and some to dishonor as God tells us.

But I probably should of not been joking around with him.