Is it OK to lie?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 28, 2016
if we truly Love our precious Saviour, we will never willingly dis-obey Him or His Commands,,.
this is a given!!! = take it our leave it...

Jan 25, 2015
But, being put into a basket that was very obviously designed and intended to float and preserve life, the idea of "being thrown in the Nile to drown" would not have even been a consideration.
Uncle Willie, the Egyptians kept their law just like Israel was suppose to keep theirs. For people living in that era keeping the law was serious business. With our free for all mentality today it is difficult to comprehend but even Pharaoh and his people kept the laws of their god and their religion.

J

joefizz

Is it ever OK to lie?

I say, "Yes", it sometimes is.... AND God will likely praise you for it. How say ye?
Such an odd thing to say,God praise us for lieing?
that doesn't happen for two reasons
1.Only God/Jesus is to be praised not us
2.A man was stoned to death he and his household for "lieing" in the book of Joshua and seeing as that God is the same today,yesterday,and forever more,I'd say he hasn't changed his mind about how he doesn't praise nor approve of lieing,if you prefer a more straightforward example read of ananias and his wife who lied by holding back money from God both of them dieing right after speaking to Peter,so not a good thing to practice and that's not my "opinion" that's "biblically" true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 7, 2015
if we truly Love our precious Saviour, we will never willingly dis-obey Him or His Commands,,.
this is a given!!! = take it our leave it...
Who said anything, at all, about disobeying Jesus?

D

Depleted

I was studying Acts 5 today. Ananias and Sapphira.

I like what Matthew Henry had to say about it.

Acts 5:1-11

The sin of Ananias and Sapphira was, that they were ambitious of being thought eminent disciples, when they were not true disciples. Hypocrites may deny themselves, may forego their worldly advantage in one instance, with a prospect of finding their account in something else. They were covetous of the wealth of the world, and distrustful of God and his providence. They thought they might serve both God and mammon. They thought to deceive the apostles. The Spirit of God in Peter discerned the principle of unbelief reigning in the heart of Ananias. But whatever Satan might suggest, he could not have filled the heart of Ananias with this wickedness had he not been consenting. The falsehood was an attempt to deceive the Spirit of truth, who so manifestly spoke and acted by the apostles. The crime of Ananias was not his retaining part of the price of the land; he might have kept it all, had he pleased; but his endeavouring to impose upon the apostles with an awful lie, from a desire to make a vain show, joined with covetousness. But if we think to put a cheat upon God, we shall put a fatal cheat upon our own souls. How sad to see those relations who should quicken one another to that which is good, hardening one another in that which is evil! And this punishment was in reality mercy to vast numbers. It would cause strict self-examination, prayer, and dread of hypocrisy, covetousness, and vain-glory, and it should still do so. It would prevent the increase of false professors. Let us learn hence how hateful falsehood is to the God of truth, and not only shun a direct lie, but all advantages from the use of doubtful expressions, and double meaning in our speech.

Feb 7, 2015
I'm very proud of you for being able to remember a Bible story. But that still has nothing to do with the question I asked in the OP. It's just another of the typical examples of you trying to decide a thread is going to be about what you want it to be about.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018
no, I don't think its okay to lie, all depending on what lie it is. I have been lied to a lot, and it does nothing but break my heart.

Feb 7, 2015
no, I don't think its okay to lie, all depending on what lie it is. I have been lied to a lot, and it does nothing but break my heart.
You just said, "No." And then in the very same sentence you said it "all depends on what the lie is."

(I happen to agree with you.... That is the entire point of this thread)

But, why are you saying "Yes" and "No" at the same time?

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
No lying is not allowed in any way. It would be nice if there was exeptions but there isnt.
With that being said, theres no different kinds of lies.

Feb 7, 2015
No lying is not allowed in any way. It would be nice if there was exeptions but there isnt.
With that being said, theres no different kinds of lies.
If you asked me to go with you to one of your religious demonstrations, and I told you I was not going to go, at all........ (knowing, full-well, that I intended to go later.... without you), and three hours later, you saw me standing in the crowd...... Would I have told you a lie when I said "I am not going to that demonstration."

Or should I have told you the truth, and said, "I am going later because I want to be alone, not with you."?

Would my first statement be a lie since I did not tell you the truth?

Jan 14, 2018
for instance, if I asked a friend hey, do I look fat in this, most would polity say no, that's a little white lie to make us feel better. I think there is a line people know not to cross, (not many people I know unfortunately) the biggest lie I find is money, rout to all evil

D

Depleted

for instance, if I asked a friend hey, do I look fat in this, most would polity say no, that's a little white lie to make us feel better. I think there is a line people know not to cross, (not many people I know unfortunately) the biggest lie I find is money, rout to all evil
Really, so if you ask a friend if an outfit makes you look fat, you want them to lie? It sure doesn't make me feel better to walk around in an outfit that makes me look fat. Something like having toilet paper sticking out of your pants. And, yeah, I'd be upset if my friend lied to be.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
If you asked me to go with you to one of your religious demonstrations, and I told you I was not going to go, at all........ (knowing, full-well, that I intended to go later.... without you), and three hours later, you saw me standing in the crowd...... Would I have told you a lie when I said "I am not going to that demonstration."

Or should I have told you the truth, and said, "I am going later because I want to be alone, not with you."?

Would my first statement be a lie since I did not tell you the truth?
It would be a lie yes. I wouldnt have been angry if u had told me u dont want to go there with me.
Thats just my view

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Well but i would get mad at them for lying to me because IKNOW i look fat in that dress so it would make me feel worse

Jan 14, 2018
oh gosh it was a just for example, a small lie compared to other ones. I unfortunately have a few liars n the family, so that little one to me is nothing compared to what I have heard and recently going through. its heart breaking. no you shouldn't lie at all .. but are you saying that you have never told a lie?

Jan 14, 2018
well if you are overweight, and a friend asks are if they look fat, obviously its a caught in the moment question .. cuz they are fat ! I'm allowed to say that as I am slightly overweight before I get all the hate ! there's is a difference in lying, no you shouldn't lie at all, unfortunately I'm a master in detecting lies as I've had to put up with it all my life .. but .. if it were to make me feel better than what I see in the mirror, someone telling me, no you look fine, instead of mate your a monster in everything just don't bother , I'm okay with that