Is it true that all angels are not the same?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
My studied point to that not all angels are equal, there are three separate orders.

1. Cherubim, or archangel are the highest and most powerful. They surround God’s throne, have six wigs, four faces, and are quite large. (Rev. 4:7, Ezekiel 1:10) They have a man’s face, a lion’s face, a bull’s face, and an eagle’s face. They are covered with eyes. The bible speaks of Michael the warrior for God, Gabriel the redeemer of God, and the two who fell: the angel called Lucifer who was the angel of light and Abaddon called the ‘Angel of Death. Ezekiel 28:13-19.

Raphael Healer of God and Uriel Light of God are spoken of in extra-biblical writings. All the names end in “el” a Hebrew word meaning God.

One third of the original six rebelled, as one third of all angels rebelled.

2, Seraphim or Burning Ones are the middle order. They are the messengers of God racing back and forth between heaven and earth doing His will. In Revelation 8:7 they are spoken of as fire raining down on the earth. Ancient Hebrew telling of Jacob seeing angels going back and forth to heaven suggests it was Seraphim he saw.

3. Teraphim. KJV Danie 4:17 they are spoken of as watchers. In that passage in the NIV translation they are called messengers. They are our guardian angels.

Paul tells us that we may see them as they are able to take on human form, for we are advised to be kind to strangers, they may be angels.

Scripture gives the images heathen magicians use for magic a word translated as teraphim. When Rachel took the household idols, (Gen. 31:34) the original Hebrew suggests the spirits behind them were fallen Teraphim.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hello @Blik, where does the Bible tell us that the Cherubim were archangels? Also, were all of the archangels, "Cherubim", and were all of the Cherubim, "archangels" :unsure:

~Deut

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Hello @Blik, where does the Bible tell us that the Cherubim were archangels? Also, were all of the archangels, "Cherubim", and were all of the Cherubim, "archangels" :unsure:

~Deut
Good question. I thought they were the same but I find no scripture telling us that.

On the net, newsletter has this to say: "The Bible refers to Cherubim (plural of Cherub) at least 30 times in the Old Testament, with the books of Ezekiel (12), followed the book of 1Kings (6), containing the most references. Archangels are directly referred to only twice, both of which are in the New Testament (1Thessalonians 4:16 and Jude 9). "

Jase

Jun 9, 2021
Hi! If anyone knows, what would one's "Guardian angel" be classified (as)?
Thanks!
Sorry..dumb question?🤭
New here.🙄

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
3. Teraphim. KJV Danie 4:17 they are spoken of as watchers.
Teraphim are not mentioned in that verse. They are idols that the Romans worshiped. They are not real.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Let's make sure we aren't conflating terms inappropriately. The word "angel" simply means "messenger". If by "angels", the OP means, generally, "disembodied spiritual entities that are not God", there are indeed several kinds.

According to Dr. Michael Heiser (Semitics and OT scholar), cherubim and seraphim are essentially the same things: throne guardians, and the two terms come from two different cultural sources: Babylonian and Egyptian.

There is also the Angel of the Lord, but that may well be the preincarnate Jesus Christ.

Jun 12, 2021
My studied point to that not all angels are equal, there are three separate orders.

1. Cherubim, or archangel are the highest and most powerful. They surround God’s throne, have six wigs, four faces, and are quite large. (Rev. 4:7, Ezekiel 1:10) They have a man’s face, a lion’s face, a bull’s face, and an eagle’s face. They are covered with eyes. The bible speaks of Michael the warrior for God, Gabriel the redeemer of God, and the two who fell: the angel called Lucifer who was the angel of light and Abaddon called the ‘Angel of Death. Ezekiel 28:13-19.

Raphael Healer of God and Uriel Light of God are spoken of in extra-biblical writings. All the names end in “el” a Hebrew word meaning God.

One third of the original six rebelled, as one third of all angels rebelled.

2, Seraphim or Burning Ones are the middle order. They are the messengers of God racing back and forth between heaven and earth doing His will. In Revelation 8:7 they are spoken of as fire raining down on the earth. Ancient Hebrew telling of Jacob seeing angels going back and forth to heaven suggests it was Seraphim he saw.

3. Teraphim. KJV Danie 4:17 they are spoken of as watchers. In that passage in the NIV translation they are called messengers. They are our guardian angels.

Paul tells us that we may see them as they are able to take on human form, for we are advised to be kind to strangers, they may be angels.

Scripture gives the images heathen magicians use for magic a word translated as teraphim. When Rachel took the household idols, (Gen. 31:34) the original Hebrew suggests the spirits behind them were fallen Teraphim.
Revelation 22:8-9

New King James Version

8 Now I, John, [a]saw and heard these things. And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel who showed me these things.
9 Then he said to me, “See that you do not do that. [b]For I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren the prophets, and of those who keep the words of this book. Worship God.”

This topic really is not that important. There is no ranks in heaven. Be humble and content with what you have.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
There is no ranks in heaven.
Of course there is. There are regular angels and then Archangels which are chief angels that lead other angels like here:

Rev 12:7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Suna

May 21, 2021
Let's make sure we aren't conflating terms inappropriately. The word "angel" simply means "messenger". If by "angels", the OP means, generally, "disembodied spiritual entities that are not God", there are indeed several kinds.

According to Dr. Michael Heiser (Semitics and OT scholar), cherubim and seraphim are essentially the same things: throne guardians, and the two terms come from two different cultural sources: Babylonian and Egyptian.

There is also the Angel of the Lord, but that may well be the preincarnate Jesus Christ.
Shalom.

The Angel of the Lord is not the preincarnate Christ.
The Angel of the Lord is an angel who expressed God to Israel in the name of Jehovah in the Old Testament.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Hi! If anyone knows, what would one's "Guardian angel" be classified (as)?
Thanks!
Sorry..dumb question?🤭
New here.🙄
They are the watchers. the third class, Teraphim.

Jun 12, 2021
Of course there is. There are regular angels and then Archangels which are chief angels that lead other angels like here:

Rev 12:7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
Well it don't matter to me, since God's elects and the angels are obeying God.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Revelation 22:8-9

New King James Version

8 Now I, John, [a]saw and heard these things. And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel who showed me these things.
9 Then he said to me, “See that you do not do that. [b]For I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren the prophets, and of those who keep the words of this book. Worship God.”

This topic really is not that important. There is no ranks in heaven. Be humble and content with what you have.
Those who have a child like humbleness before the Lord sit at His feet and listen to His word, they don't say something His word tells us is not important.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Teraphim are not real beings. They were idols.
Fallen Teraphim are the spirits that live in idols and are often spoken of in scripture as images used by heathen magicians. The angels who are true to the Lord are Teraphim that have not fallen.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
Fallen Teraphim are the spirits that live in idols and are often spoken of in scripture as images used by heathen magicians. The angels who are true to the Lord are Teraphim that have not fallen.
Those do not exist. The only Teraphim that exist are only idols. They aren't real beings whether fallen or not.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Those do not exist. The only Teraphim that exist are only idols. They aren't real beings whether fallen or not.
The angels who were Teraphim are angels that rebeled and fell away. Are you saying that you know scripture tells us that every angel who were teraphim have fallen away? What of the angel spoken of by Daniel in Daniel 4. It tells us in Dan. 4:14 "He called a holy one".

Those who post what scripture tells them should be certain it is scripture they got their information from.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
The angels who were Teraphim are angels that rebeled and fell away. Are you saying that you know scripture tells us that every angel who were teraphim have fallen away?
There are no angels called Teraphim. There are no living beings called Teraphim. Teraphim are only man made idols. They are statues only. They are pagan in nature.

What of the angel spoken of by Daniel in Daniel 4. It tells us in Dan. 4:14 "He called a holy one".
It's just an angel. The word Teraphim is not used there so there is no reason for you to try to insert it there.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
All we have is the word of God. Not sure what you mean by the same. There are countless that if walked among us we would not know them. Are there other things in heaven? YES! There are books out side of the word of God and are great to read ..some hold them to be as true as the word of God.. I do not and there are reasons based in the word of God for that.

I looked up on of those words you used "small images or cult objects used as domestic deities or oracles by ancient Semitic peoples.
"Rachel stole the teraphim, the household gods of her family" "The word "teraphim" is explained by the Rabbis as meaning "disgraceful things" .

"Fallen Teraphim are the spirits that live in idols " I don't know where get got this from. I just searched again and I found so much that.. I don't know you missed it if you have been studying. No offense. "There is no biblical support to the idea that demons can attach themselves to physical objects. ". Now a fallen angel still look appear as they did when they were with the Father. Everything God gave them they still have just no authority.

"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. " This is where they are.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
There are no angels called Teraphim. There are no living beings called Teraphim. Teraphim are only man made idols. They are statues only. They are pagan in nature.

It's just an angel. The word Teraphim is not used there so there is no reason for you to try to insert it there.
When you say "just an angel" do you mean that all angels are just as angel, all are alike? That would be saying the firery ones spoken of in Rev., the watchers spoken of in scripture, and cherubims and archangels are just angels.