Is it wrong to drink alcohol?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

LW97

Apr 10, 2018
My answer would be no, as long as you only drink in moderation. Of course many people should never drink. And I think the USA made a wise choice to prohibit alcohol for people under 21. Here in Europe 16-year-olds are already old enough to drink which caused many disasters.

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities. 1 Timothy 5:23

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
My answer would be no, as long as you only drink in moderation. Of course many people should never drink. And I think the USA made a wise choice to prohibit alcohol for people under 21. Here in Europe 16-year-olds are already old enough to drink which caused many disasters.

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities. 1 Timothy 5:23

It's not a sin to drink, it is a sin to get drunk. But in my case it is a sin to my taste buds no matter what lol.

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
I don't think its a sin to have an occasional taste, but I'll need to get back with a definitive answer after I sober up :)

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Let's allow scripture to define wine.

Numbers 6
2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate themselves unto the Lord:
3 He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.
4 All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk.

Everything in this passage is referring to what comes from the grape vine. There is wine(juice) and strong drink(fermented wine). So when scripture uses the word wine, we must allow the context to define which kind of wine it is referring to: new wine which is found in the cluster (Isaiah 65:8 Thus saith the Lord, As the new wine is found in the cluster, and one saith, Destroy it not; for a blessing is in it: so will I do for my servants' sakes, that I may not destroy them all. ) which is fresh grape juice, or fermented wine which is strong drink which would contain traces of alcohol.

Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

What's the context of the wine in Proverbs 20:1? Wine that is strong drink, fermented. God calls it a mocker. For me, personally, I do not want to put anything in my body that God calls a mocker.

Jan 6, 2018
Let's allow scripture to define wine.

Numbers 6
2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate themselves unto the Lord:
3 He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.
4 All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk.

Everything in this passage is referring to what comes from the grape vine. There is wine(juice) and strong drink(fermented wine). So when scripture uses the word wine, we must allow the context to define which kind of wine it is referring to: new wine which is found in the cluster (Isaiah 65:8 Thus saith the Lord, As the new wine is found in the cluster, and one saith, Destroy it not; for a blessing is in it: so will I do for my servants' sakes, that I may not destroy them all. ) which is fresh grape juice, or fermented wine which is strong drink which would contain traces of alcohol.

Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

What's the context of the wine in Proverbs 20:1? Wine that is strong drink, fermented. God calls it a mocker. For me, personally, I do not want to put anything in my body that God calls a mocker.
That is not true. The Corinthians were getting drunk on wine at the Communion table. Hos 4:11 says both old and new wine gets you drunk.

Sep 4, 2012
Somewhere else Paul tells the young Timothy to not be intimidated by older men; so he may have been telling Timothy that copping a buzz would be helpful in calming his nerves and giving him some confidence. The word infirmities doesn't have to mean bodily sickness; could just mean a case of nerves.

Infirmity
G769 ἀσθένεια astheneia (as-then'-ei-ah) n.
1. feebleness (of mind or body)

LW97

Apr 10, 2018

John146

Jan 13, 2016
That is not true. The Corinthians were getting drunk on wine at the Communion table. Hos 4:11 says both old and new wine gets you drunk.
Hosea 4:11 Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart.

Take away the heart does not equal getting drunk on alcohol. The context is how God is against this people because they reject that there is a God. They eat, they drink, they have their full. They live as they want with no consideration that there is a God. New wine is found in the clusters. That's grape juice. Old wine, or fermented, spoiled wine is not found in the clusters but through a fermentation process.

New wine can be made by squeezing a bunch of grapes into a cup according to the below verse.

Genesis 40:11 And Pharaoh's cup was in my hand: and I took the grapes, and pressed them into Pharaoh's cup, and I gave the cup into Pharaoh's hand.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
It is a sin to drink anything Anheuser Busch, Coors, or any brewer in Milwaukee makes.

T

theanointedsinner

moderation is not sin
but a strong brother's action that tempts a weaker brother is considered sin
as in the strong brother need to be caring and concerned for the conscience of the weaker brother

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Whenever the question of drinking comes up, I always think back to the wedding where Jesus thought 'now that everyone's buzzed, let's bring out the good stuff'.

CS1

May 23, 2012

I gave up drinking . Not because I think drinking is a sin, but it will not help my testimony for Christ as a minster. Nor will it edify those who see me drinking and have issues with it. we are to avoid the very appearance of evil, and we are to be the light of the world. Foe me I think God is calling me to a higher standard.
Does the higher standard make me more saved ? NOPE.

does the higher standard make me better then others ? nope.
What does it do?

it allows me the freedom to minster without condemnation or apprehension .
It will help to prevent me from being a stumbling block to others.
And I think it will too strengthen my integrity as a man of God.

I am too learning the serious effects
alcohol
weed
and other things have on the body, and mind of people .

there is a lot of irreversible system to it that is being discovered . how alcohol effects the blood cells

BRAIN: From the first sip, alcohol is absorbed into the bloodstream and reaches the brain. Although you won't be aware of it, there is an impairment of brain function, which deteriorates further the more you drink.

HEART: Your pulse quickens after just one unit. Alcohol is a vasodilator - it makes the peripheral blood vessels relax to allow more blood to flow through the skin and tissues, which results in a drop in blood pressure. In order to maintain sufficient blood flow to the organs, the heart rate increases. Your breathing rate may also speed up.

DIGESTIVE SYSTEM: The Government advises men to drink no more than three to four units a day and women no more than two to three, so after two pints of normal-strength beer (four units) or a large glass of red wine (3.5 units) we have already exceeded our healthy guidelines. The alcohol is absorbed through the stomach and small intestine and if you are not used to it, even small amounts of alcohol can irritate the stomach lining. This volume of alcohol also begins to block absorption of essential vitamins and minerals.

SKIN: Alcohol increases blood flow to the skin, making you feel warm and look flushed. It also dehydrates, increasing the appearance of fine lines.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
God told me to stop drinking when he saved me. I was an alcoholic, stopped completely with no side effects, haven’t had a drink in 38 years now.

I personally think no one should drink alcohol. But, it really isn’t my business. Unless God directly tells me to say something, I do not. So, basically never.

What I observed in my own life, and still see everywhere, including the church, is most people don’t drink in moderation. They start, lose their inhibitions, fail to recognize their limitations, and drink to excess. Not everyone, of course. And it seems like alcohol at a meal is not often an issue. Of course, who knows if some people keep drinking when they leave the restaurant?

But, unless God has directly told you not to drink alcohol, like me, I don’t see it as a sin. Well, except for excess!

“Now the works of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, depravity, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hostilities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish rivalries, dissensions, factions, 21 envying, murder, drunkenness, carousing, and similar things. I am warning you, as I had warned you before: Those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God!” Gal 5:19-21

Pretty sure from this passage and others like it, that drinking to excess is a sin!

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
No. It is not wrong to drink alcohol. But if alcohol causes "you" to sin, "you should not drink it. Many people, get drunk have unmarried sex cheat on their spouse, end up in fights, kill someone because they were drunk... molest a child, rape someone... Whatever... do things they said they would have never done if they were not drinking.

If "you" maintain self control, which is a fruit of the Spirit, no drinking is not wrong.... If drinking causes sin; yes it is wrong!!!!!

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
For a healthy person there are only two reasons drinking wine or strong drink can be a sin.......if the person doubtss the act of drinking or if it has control of the person...

Otherwise there are uses and times for drink.........I do not drink as a rule. I do,however use liquor for cooking at times, but the alcohol is cooked out of it so that is moot.

Dec 28, 2016
Drinking alcohol is not a sin. Being a drunkard is a sin.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Why put anything into your body that God Himself calls a mocker?

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
1 Corinthians 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

S

SpoonJuly

My question is Why drink unless for medical reasons.
That stuff is not cheap.