Is Jesus Name of Pagan Origen?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2023
The name Jesus is translated from the Greek Word IESOUS which is the masculine name of IASO the Greek goddess of healing. The Greeks chose IASO because the Savior was a woman and they wanted to maximize cultural acceptance by using one of their gods to facilitate cultural conversion. To further gain acceptance the Greeks change the name into it's make equivalent because a female was likely not going to be accepted by Greek culture.

What is Jesus name then?. We know the Messiah name contains the Father's name. We know that the Messiah's name has “will save people from their sins". One of the Father's Names is "I AM". So we are looking for a name Iam your deliverer or I am your salvation. When looking at Hebrew for those names and moving the I am to behind i.e. your deliver I am you get "Yesuatekani" or "Yeshuatekani.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Jesus’ name in English comes from the Latin Isus, which is a transliteration of the Greek Iesous,
which is a transliteration of the Aramaic name Yeshua, which comes from the Hebrew Yehoshua,
or Joshua. The name comes from the Hebrew verb yasha, which means “he saves,” and the proper name
“Ya,” which is short for the name Yahweh. Put together, Jesus’ name in its original languages means
“Yahweh saves” or “Yahweh is salvation.” source

What A Beautiful Name

Joshua is the original Hebrew form of the Greek name Jesus.
Meaning: Yah Saves, Yah Will Save, Yah Is Salvation

Etymology:
(1) יה (yah), the name of the Lord, and
(2) the verb ישע (yasha'), to save or deliver.

A shortened form of Joshua is the name Jeshua (ישוע). The New Testament
was written in ancient Greek, and Yeshua, an Aramaic short form of the
Hebrew name Yehoshua, was rendered as Iesous, which became Iesus
in Latin and Jesus in English. “God is deliverance.”

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Jesus is known by many titles in the Bible...

Who Jesus is...

Praise the Lord

Dec 27, 2023
Jesus’ name in English comes from the Latin Isus, which is a transliteration of the Greek Iesous,
which is a transliteration of the Aramaic name Yeshua, which comes from the Hebrew Yehoshua,
or Joshua. The name comes from the Hebrew verb yasha, which means “he saves,” and the proper name
“Ya,” which is short for the name Yahweh. Put together, Jesus’ name in its original languages means
“Yahweh saves” or “Yahweh is salvation.” source

What A Beautiful Name

Joshua is the original Hebrew form of the Greek name Jesus.
Meaning: Yah Saves, Yah Will Save, Yah Is Salvation

Etymology:
(1) יה (yah), the name of the Lord, and
(2) the verb ישע (yasha'), to save or deliver.

A shortened form of Joshua is the name Jeshua (ישוע). The New Testament
was written in ancient Greek, and Yeshua, an Aramaic short form of the
Hebrew name Yehoshua, was rendered as Iesous, which became Iesus
in Latin and Jesus in English. “God is deliverance.”
Since Yahwah has been mentioned: YWHW is the Tetragammon name which itself was translated from the Ancient Hebrew Pictograph, an alphabet that included vowels as IEUE. It is interesting that YHWH has no vowels especially since it is translated from 4 vowels.

https://strengtheningremnantroots.com/ieuenotyhwh/

NotmebutHim

May 17, 2015
Jesus = Yeshua = "Yahweh (YHWH) is salvation" = "......for He shall save His people from their sins.".

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
The name Jesus is translated from the Greek Word IESOUS which is the masculine name of IASO the Greek goddess of healing. The Greeks chose IASO because the Savior was a woman and they wanted to maximize cultural acceptance by using one of their gods to facilitate cultural conversion. To further gain acceptance the Greeks change the name into it's make equivalent because a female was likely not going to be accepted by Greek culture.

What is Jesus name then?. We know the Messiah name contains the Father's name. We know that the Messiah's name has “will save people from their sins". One of the Father's Names is "I AM". So we are looking for a name Iam your deliverer or I am your salvation. When looking at Hebrew for those names and moving the I am to behind i.e. your deliver I am you get "Yesuatekani" or "Yeshuatekani.
None of the New Testament writer had a problem with "Iesous" and neither do I.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia

I finally got a chance to take a break and relax a few minutes and this is the first thing I see. 🤨

The Name of our Savior is NOT iaso, isis, hail Satan, hell Zeus or any other blasphemy.
You do er Not knowing the Scriptures.

Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also.

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Ted01

May 14, 2022

I'm not sure where you've got your source materials from, or the reasons for looking into these things... but without meaning to offend, I think that your handling of much of this has been rather poor.

As has already been shown to you in an earlier post, your ideas about the evolution of the name Jesus have nothing to do with Iaso/Ieso the goddess, I'd be interested to know how you made that connection?

As for "Yesuatekani" or Yeshuatekani", those are totally new to me. I tried to look them up online... but got nothing. They seem to be a construction of words made up from imagination. Tekanis in Greek seem to mean "what are you doing"? But your handling of spelling causes me concern.

Since Yahwah has been mentioned: YWHW is the Tetragammon name which itself was translated from the Ancient Hebrew Pictograph, an alphabet that included vowels as IEUE. It is interesting that YHWH has no vowels especially since it is translated from 4 vowels.

https://strengtheningremnantroots.com/ieuenotyhwh/
Here again, spelling... it's tetragrammaton. I've always used "gammon" when talking about pork or when I'm winning at backgammon.

IF, and that's a big IF, there exists a pictograph in paleo-Hebrew showing the letters associated with our letters IEUE, why would anyone think that it's the tetragrammaton? While I agree that what people refer to as paleo-Hebrew does include vowels, (and I have no idea why what people refer to as ancient Hebrew does not), I think it's silly to assume that this alleged pictograph is the tetragrammaton. I looked at your link and find their assertions to be equally baseless. It seems that you are both on a mission to propagate a conspiracy of some sort?

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
There have been far more sincere questions I have read than not. God bless those humble victims of false teaching to help them to know Christ and His ultimate gift.
Someone cared enough about me to teach me the truth and that needs to be passed forward.

I've also seen preachers, ministers and elders from false religion creep into churches, and homes who try to convert them into believing unbiblical false gospels that condemn them according to John 3:18. Many epistles and O.T. books warn against such too.

I've had Mormons, strange religions come to my door and to those of family, church members and close friends. . I've seen many get sucked into false religions and destroy three churches that I used to attend. Families have been divided, churches fallen into apostasy and closed and had to make the tough decisions concerning friends. Aren't we supposed to protect the weaker vessels and children from physical and spiritual harm? There are no young children that I'm aware of, but are certainly a number of ladies and young people that need good leadership here. I don't wish to see them become spiritual casualties.

9Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Philippians 2

3Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.
I Corinthians 12

7For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. 8Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward. 9Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. 10If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: 11For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.
2 John

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
None of the New Testament writer had a problem with "Iesous" and neither do I.
In fact they used the Greek form under divine inspiration. And actually you will not find "Yeshua" in the Hebrew OT. But you will find "Jehoshua" and the name of Joshua is derived from that. But since the KJV translators were transliterating names in the NT, they called Joshua "Jesus" since that is what is written in Greek (Heb 4:8).

εἰ γὰρ αὐτοὺς Ἰησοῦς κατέπαυσεν οὐκ ἂν περὶ ἄλλης ἐλάλει μετὰ ταῦτα ἡμέρας
For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I'm new and misplaced this post...my apologies
You could ask the mods to move this thread. But anyone claiming that the name "Jesus" is not biblical is an enemy of Christ and the Bible. This is another way to get people distracted.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018

HI DavidB777 glad you are joining the fun and fellowship here at CC!😊 It's good to ask questions and to talk things through. What I will add, I'm sure everyone knows, is this Scripture Mt 1:21 'and she will have a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.” Translated from original Greek IESOUS as you pointed out. This name came from the angel of the Lord so any connection with anything else, to me, is irrelevant, no offense meant. God is the originator of everything and the enemy copies and distorts things. Anyway, welcome, God bless you and have a blessed New Year!✨

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022

If I came across as harsh, please realize that this is a Christian forum, not Hebrew Roots.
Some of us have the command to contend for the faith and protect the flock.

Simply open a daily planner or calendar.
There are all kinds of things we see daily that are of pagan origin, but Jesus' Holy Name is Not one of them. Your comment was not only false, but it undermines the faith of the simple who have not taken the effort to determine the facts of the subject.
I could spend all day proving that the Hebrew Roots movement has spread much disinformation as the Roman Catholic church I was raised in. Most people are down on what they do not know when it comes to many subjects. That is our nature .

From Stanford University

1703864640319.png

Solar Symbolism, Ancient and Modern

The Face in the Sun

"It appears that the Sun was worshipped as a personified, life-giving deity in Babylonian, Egyptian, Greek, Roman, and other major civilizations of history. For a culture who viewed the Sun as a god, it was not a far next step to feature their god with a face, such as the common symbol face in the center of the Sun's rays.
At least one website features a Sun face that was said to be part of an 18th century Masonic ritual painting, and that it illustrated a symbol that has been central to most major spiritual systems of history. "Since the Sun god usually reigned over a pantheon of lesser gods. his symbol played a vital part in pagan worship (and in the rituals of occult secret societies) around the world. In Inca myths, the Sun was worshipped as the divine ancestor of the nation." For more on Masonic symbolism...."

There was a time when someone cared enough about me to share the following facts in the video below. I was sceptical at first since it was new to me. Then I realized that I don't know it all and have been wrong about other things. Could I also be wrong about Jesus and the gift of everlasting life?
Could you also have possibly been provided false information about the Savior and His gift?

Such an important subject was certainly worth opening my KJV Bible and investigating. I didn't want just another opinion. I wanted to know what God thought about it. So I asked Him for help.
He opened my eyes of understanding, especially with one passage. Can you figure out which one it was? Perhaps the Lord will help if you ask Him .

Status
Not open for further replies.