Is Knowledge of the Original Languages Necessary for KJV Believers?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
that standard should apply to those who sowed it first shouldn't it ?

my first question was to this person : "can I ask you what is a definition of " without Error" ? Ans what is an error? Thank you."
His response was:
"This sounds like a trap of getting me to define something that I may need to later qualify.
Everyone knows what an error is.
You might be the only one who sees a comparison between what you said what they said.

You been told, I did my part.
Take care
 
You might be the only one who sees a comparison between what you said what they said.

You been told, I did my part.
Take care
yea you been told to and it matter about as much as to me as what you have said :) You are no authority here :)
 
Mat 18:18
Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Mat 18:19
Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 18:20
“For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”

1Co 5:1
It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.
1Co 5:2
And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.
1Co 5:3
For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,
1Co 5:4
In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
1Co 5:5
To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

If Jesus must be omnipresent when saying Matt. 18:20, then Paul must be omnipresent when writing 1 Cor. 5:1-5. But perhaps there is a more subtle nuance to the language of both.
Maybe Jesus is saying that when two or three pray in agreement to the Father in His name, it is to the Father as though He were also among their number asking the Father with them.
And likewise paul may be saying, when you agree together and hand the reprobate over to satan, it is as though I am also in your midst adding my voice to yours.

Making Matt 18:20 proof positive of Jesus' omnipresence, would have to make 1 Cor. 5 proof positive of Paul's omnipresence.
Your comparison overlooks a qualification in Paul’s statement that does not appear in Jesus’ statement.

(1) Paul’s statement (1 Corinthians 5:3, KJV):

“For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,”

The relevant Greek in Beza 1598 is:

παρὼν δὲ τῷ πνεύματι, ἤδη κέκρικα ὡς παρὼν

“but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present.”

The words ὡς παρών (hōs parōn) mean “as if present.” Paul’s “present in spirit” and his judging “as though I were present” occur in the same sentence and concern the same act of judgment. They should be interpreted together. Paul is bodily absent but participates through his apostolic judgment as though personally there.

https://biblehub.com/beza/1_corinthians/5.htm

(2) LSJ’s entry for ὡς, under C.I, gives this grammatical category:

“with Participles in the case of the Subject, to mark the reason or motive of the action, as if, as”

This is the closest grammatical category because παρών is a participle in the nominative case referring to Paul, the subject. In this passage, the phrase expresses the assumed circumstance of his judging: “as if present.” LSJ supplies the relevant sense, although it does not specifically discuss this verse.

https://lsj.gr/wiki/ὡς

Cambridge Dictionary likewise defines the English expression “as though” as “as if.” Thus, the KJV’s “as though I were present” aligns with this meaning of the Greek.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/as-though

(3) Consider these examples:

“Although I was absent from the meeting, I sent my decision in writing, as though I were present.”

“Although I was absent from the meeting, I sent my decision in writing, as if I were present.”

Both mean that my decision participates in the meeting despite my personal absence. Neither means I am literally in the room.

“I supported them from another city, as though I were standing beside them.”

“I supported them from another city, as if I were standing beside them.”

Again, both describe support despite physical absence.

Now compare those statements with: “Wherever you gather, I am there in your midst.”

That directly asserts presence. It does not say, “It is as though I were there.” You would need to establish a figurative meaning from the context, rather than supply an “as though” qualification that the statement itself does not contain.

(4) Jesus’ statement (Matthew 18:20, KJV):

“For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.”

Beza 1598 has:

Οὗ γάρ εἰσι δύο ἢ τρεῖς συνηγμένοι εἰς τὸ ἐμὸν ὄνομα, ἐκεῖ εἰμὶ ἐν μέσῳ αὐτῶν.

The concluding words, ἐκεῖ εἰμὶ ἐν μέσῳ αὐτῶν, mean “there am I in their midst.” There is no ὡς qualifying His presence as “as if” or “as though.”

https://biblehub.com/beza/matthew/18.htm

You suggest that the Father treats their prayer as though Jesus were among them asking alongside them. But that is something you are imagining and supplying to the passage. It is not stated in the actual text. Jesus says He is in their midst.

Furthermore, Paul describes his participation in one particular congregation’s judgment. Jesus gives a general promise concerning gatherings in His name. Therefore, taking Jesus’ promise as actual presence does not require making Paul omnipresent. Your comparison does not establish that their statements mean the same thing.

(5) Let’s also not ignore John 3:13, which says in the KJV:

“And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.”

While speaking to Nicodemus on earth, Jesus describes Himself as “the Son of man which is in heaven.” This supports Christ’s divine presence beyond His bodily location on earth. I understand this in connection with His being one with the Father in heaven (John 10:30).

The modern Critical Text omits “which is in heaven” from John 3:13, and translations following that reading omit it from their main text as well. This is a Greek textual difference, not merely an English translation choice. The omitted Greek is ὁ ὢν ἐν τῷ οὐρανῷ, meaning “who is in heaven.” Thus, this omission removes an explicit testimony to His heavenly presence while on earth.

https://biblehub.com/john/3-13.htm

https://biblehub.com/texts/john/3-13.htm



....
 
Then you have not been communicating clearly. You should have said that no one except God can forgive sins against God. I would have agreed.

There is no dispute between us that Jesus of Nazareth was an incarnation of One of the Ever-existing Divine Persons Who had created the universe and Who had existed within the Godhead as omnipotent and omniscient and omnipresent before His incarnation. So any sin against God was a sin against Jesus of Nazareth. And just as any human can forgive sins against them, so any member of the Godhead can forgive sins against the Godhead. But Jesus of Nazareth did not need to be omniscient, omnipresent or omnipotent while incarnate, to be One of the Ever-existing Divine Persons while incarnate. So, the fact that during His 33 years pre-death He could forgive sins against the Godhead does not logically prove He was also omnipotent, omniscient,. and omnipresent during His 33 pre-death years. Your scripture does not prove He kept omnipotence, omnipresence and omniscience in His transition to humanity.
Communication is always going to be imperfect. I am sure there are many things you had to clarify to others before and I am sure it will not be your last, either. I am just saying that most people I have run into do not claim that a man cannot forgive another person and also most Christians understand that it God's forgiveness is different. So your disagreement here is not really a point that disproves the original point I made. The type of forgiveness Jesus offered was God's forgiveness that deals with their salvation. Man cannot offer another man forgiveness as a part of salvation without God involved. This was the original point I was making in that Jesus has power as God. So this point is still a winning score for my list.


....