Is Michael God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Duckybill

Aug 16, 2021
Does anyone here believe that Michael is God? I think SDA's believe that.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
You are right in that SDA believes that Michael is God, specifically, Jesus. I don't believe this but rather as it is stated, that Michael is an archangel.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
In the bible he is a mighty arch-angel.

Jude 1:9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

Rev 12:7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Not sure how someone gets him being God out of these verses! In Jude he was calling for the Lord to rebuke the devil.. not by his own command. In Revelation he is one of the angels fighting.. an archangel, but not the supreme Head.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hello @Duckybill, I believe that some of them (SDA's) teach that the Lord Jesus is Michael (as do JW's, I believe), but Michael is an archangel, a created being, while Jesus is the Creator of all things/beings (which, of course, includes Michael), so Jesus cannot be Michael .. e.g. John 1:1-3.

Jude 9 makes this fact plain in a number of different ways (see below).

God bless you!

~Deut

Jude
9 Michael the archangel, when he disputed with the devil and argued about the body of Moses, did not dare pronounce against him a railing judgment, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!”

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hey, didn't the JW's claim that the pop singer, Michael Jackson, was Michael the Archangel (aka Jesus Christ), until he released his "Thriller" video, that is, that resulted in him being excommunicated ("disfellowshipped") by the Watchtower Society :unsure:

~Deut

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
No, Michael the arc angel is not God, nor is Michael the "angel of the Lord" in the Old Testament. It's impossible that he is God. or even Jesus Christ. The JW's teach that Michael is Jesus Christ and that is patently incorrect, and so do the Adventists.

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto

Aug 20, 2021
No, Michael the arc angel is not God, nor is Michael the "angel of the Lord" in the Old Testament. It's impossible that he is God. or even Jesus Christ. The JW's teach that Michael is Jesus Christ and that is patently incorrect, and so do the Adventists.

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto
no no it was that ellen white thing their interpreter

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
In the bible he is a mighty arch-angel.

Jude 1:9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

Rev 12:7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Not sure how someone gets him being God out of these verses! In Jude he was calling for the Lord to rebuke the devil.. not by his own command. In Revelation he is one of the angels fighting.. an archangel, but not the supreme Head.
You are reading my mind

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
"
THE spirit creature called Michael is not mentioned often in the Bible. However, when he is referred to, he is in action. In the book of Daniel, Michael is battling wicked angels; in the letter of Jude, he is disputing with Satan; and in Revelation, he is waging war with the Devil and his demons. By defending Jehovah’s rulership and fighting God’s enemies, Michael lives up to the meaning of his name—“Who Is Like God?” But who is Michael?

At times, individuals are known by more than one name. For example, the patriarch Jacob is also known as Israel, and the apostle Peter, as Simon. (Genesis 49:1, 2; Matthew 10:2) Likewise, the Bible indicates that Michael is another name for Jesus Christ, before and after his life on earth. Let us consider Scriptural reasons for drawing that conclusion.

Archangel. God’s Word refers to Michael “the archangel.” (Jude 9) This term means “chief angel.” Notice that Michael is called the archangel. This suggests that there is only one such angel. In fact, the term “archangel” occurs in the Bible only in the singular, never in the plural. Moreover, Jesus is linked with the office of archangel. Regarding the resurrected Lord Jesus Christ, 1 Thessalonians 4:16 states: “The Lord himself will descend from heaven with a commanding call, with an archangel’s voice.” Thus the voice of Jesus is described as being that of an archangel. This scripture therefore suggests that Jesus himself is the archangel Michael.

Army Leader. The Bible states that “Michael and his angels battled with the dragon . . . and its angels.” (Revelation 12:7) Thus, Michael is the Leader of an army of faithful angels. Revelation also describes Jesus as the Leader of an army of faithful angels. (Revelation 19:14-16) And the apostle Paul specifically mentions “the Lord Jesus” and “his powerful angels.” (2 Thessalonians 1:7) So the Bible speaks of both Michael and “his angels” and Jesus and “his angels.” (Matthew 13:41; 16:27; 24:31; 1 Peter 3:22) Since God’s Word nowhere indicates that there are two armies of faithful angels in heaven—one headed by Michael and one headed by Jesus—it is logical to conclude that Michael is none other than Jesus Christ in his heavenly role.

"https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/bible-teach/who-is-michael-the-archangel-jesus/

I do not see the difference between watchtower teaching and SDA teaching about Jesus being Michael.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
THE BIBLE SAYS:

"For to which of the angels did He ever say, 'Thou art My Son, today I have begotten thee?'" Hebrews 1:5 (emphasis added).
"But of the Son He says, 'Thy throne, O God, is forever and ever...'" Hebrews 1:8a (emphasis added).
"But to which of the angels has He ever said, 'Sit at My right hand, until I make Thine enemies a footstool for Thy feet?' Are they [the angels] not all ministering spirits, sent out to render service for the sake of those who will inherit salvation?" Hebrews 1:13-14 (emphasis added).​

It is clear from Scripture that Jesus is NOT and has never been an angel or an archangel!

https://www.exadventist.com/Home/Articles/JesusisNotMichael/tabid/482/Default.aspx

Duckybill

Aug 16, 2021
Thanks for the excellent comments. I was hoping SDA's would reply too.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Thanks for the excellent comments. I was hoping SDA's would reply too.
There are little to no SDA's or JWs or RCCs active in this website. Obvious heretics tend to get booted or driven off site relatively quickly here.

We had a sister not too long ago here who was not JW, but believed Michael is another name/title for Christ The Angel of the LORD... I think she may have left the forum after being poorly treated.

Aug 20, 2021
There are little to no SDA's or JWs or RCCs active in this website.

We had a sister not too long ago here who was not JW, but believed Michael is another name/title for Christ The Angel of the LORD... I think she may have left the forum after being poorly treated.
we r not really suppose 2 mention false churches

Duckybill

Aug 16, 2021
There are little to no SDA's or JWs or RCCs active in this website. Obvious heretics tend to get booted or driven off site relatively quickly here.

I know of at least one active SDA here.

Mar 4, 2020
There was a thread a couple months ago, I believe, with this conversation in it. I hadn't really studied it until then, but no, Jesus is not Michael the archangel.

Hebrews 1 is a good chapter to talk about how Jesus is not an angelic being.

I think some of the confusion with people believing Jesus is Michael is they confuse the angelic beings with angels being messengers.

Strictly by definition, the word angel means a messenger but it is not necessarily an angelic being.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
The JW's believe that Jesus Christ is the same person that the Bible calls Michael the archangel.

Mormonism believes that Jesus is a created being, the spirit brother of Lucifer.

Jesus is God in the flesh and created Michael and everything else in all creation:

"The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For in Him all things were created, things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities. All things were created through Him and for Him."

When Michael the archangel was fighting over the body of Moses, he said, "The Lord rebuke you." If Michael was Jesus, why would he rebuke Satan in the name of the Lord?

"But even the archangel Michael, when he disputed with the devil over the body of Moses, did not presume to bring a slanderous charge against him, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!

BonnieClaire

Jul 1, 2021
It should be our testimony that the Father sent his only Son to be the Savior of the world...not an angel.

1 John 4:14
And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world. ~KJV