Is personal prophecy scriptural?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
Agabus gave a personal prophecy to Paul.

10 And as we stayed many days, a certain prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. 11 When he had come to us, he took Paul’s belt, bound his own hands and feet, and said, “Thus says the Holy Spirit, ‘So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man who owns this belt, and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.’ ”
Yes he did. There are other examples in the Bible too. However, they came BEFORE the book of Revelation was given.
When I hear some minister say that God appeared to him and said such and such, I look to the conclusion of Scripture given 2,000 years ago. The ONLY people who I have ever heard add to the Bible by saying, "Thus saith the Lord," or "God is saying to you such and such," also spread a false gospel.

I must ask at those occasions,

A. Why would God speak through a lost person His Word at this time?

B. Why would any saved believer or even a lost preacher who has read the Bible knowingly violate the sternest warning that concludes God's written Word to us even now?

“For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:”
Revelation 22:18

F

FollowingtheWay

I believe the gift of prophecy continues into today. I think it’s a gift that has been abused in some Christian circles these are The examples we often see where prophecy is abused and then completely ignored as a heresy in the opposite camp. What about the guy who gets an encouragement from a church member to plant a church? And then goes and builds it. Is that not a prophetic word from a fellow believer? I think there can be a balance in the gift or any of the supernatural gifts for that matter but it’s up to us to use both discernment, wisdom and avoid the extremes of a prophecy a minute or the other extreme of placing God in a box denying the Spirit of our living God to move among the saints. God speaks and he will use other believers. I’ve been on the receiving end of a divine intervention where I was being given words from another believer, complete stranger to come away from carnality.He didn’t know anything of my carnality but God spoke through this man I have no doubt.

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
Heb 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
Heb 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

F

FollowingtheWay

Heb 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
Heb 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
And where does Jesus reside? Not only has He assended to sit beside the Father but He has also sent us a helper The spirit of truth who resides in every believers heart.(Jesus in you) as Colossians says. The Spirit of the living God lives in the heart of every believer.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Yes he did. There are other examples in the Bible too. However, they came BEFORE the book of Revelation was given.
When I hear some minister say that God appeared to him and said such and such, I look to the conclusion of Scripture given 2,000 years ago. The ONLY people who I have ever heard add to the Bible by saying, "Thus saith the Lord," or "God is saying to you such and such," also spread a false gospel.

I must ask at those occasions,

A. Why would God speak through a lost person His Word at this time?

B. Why would any saved believer or even a lost preacher who has read the Bible knowingly violate the sternest warning that concludes God's written Word to us even now?

“For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:”
Revelation 22:18
What is the point you are trying to make?

Also, do you know how “The Bible” was formed?

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
What is the point you are trying to make?

Also, do you know how “The Bible” was formed?
Only that I agree with you that personal prophesies were made. It is biblical.
I just want everyone who reads the thread from start to finish to keep the most important thing in mind and not get sidetracked by the secondary theme they might get from a cursory reading of the original question.

There are very important details that I think should be considered by every reader to lay the foundation of the topic. The fact that you said what you did does not take away from that. We have no argument as much as I can tell. Considering the many violations to the curse proclamation of Revelation 22:18 by the christian media, by the cults, even by members as I log in to this forum as I glance at the top of the website, do you think it is worth noting?

Yes, I know how the Bible was formed.
"“For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.”
2 Perter 1:21

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
Personal prophecy is big these days. A so-called prophet gives you a prophecy that he or she claims is directly from the Lord and meant specifically for you. Does this have any authority in scripture or are these "prophets" little more than psychic advisers? Have you ever been given a personal prophecy? What happened as a result? If not, how would you feel or react is someone tried to give you a personal prophecy?
It just occurred to me that every single prophesy is spoken from one person to another person

The holy spirit speaks the prophesy to a person.😊

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
It just occurred to me that every single prophesy is spoken from one person to another person

The holy spirit speaks the prophesy to a person.😊
For the record, there are prophesies spoken to churches, too. They were spoken to the angels of the church but they were given for direction for the saints.

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
For the record, there are prophesies spoken to churches, too. They were spoken to the angels of the church but they were given for direction for the saints.
would I like to know yes I do oplease share 😊

Lamar

May 21, 2023
Personal prophecy is big these days. A so-called prophet gives you a prophecy that he or she claims is directly from the Lord and meant specifically for you. Does this have any authority in scripture or are these "prophets" little more than psychic advisers? Have you ever been given a personal prophecy? What happened as a result? If not, how would you feel or react is someone tried to give you a personal prophecy?
Prophecy is one of the physical supernatural manifestations of the Holy Spirit that Paul said will cease at some point (1st Cor. 13:8).

We are unsure of when they ceased but ceased they have.

If the physical supernatural manifestations of the Holy Spirit had not ceased, we would not even entertain this question.

JohnRH

Mar 5, 2018
If what they're saying isn't already in the Bible in black & white - reject it as mere opinion. This Bible alone is God's word and is sufficient.
Notice the absolute terms: All scripture is given ... that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. 2 Tim 3:16-17 (KJV)
When they claim that what they're saying is directly from the Lord and is meant specifically for you, they're tampering with perfection and trying to add to thoroughness.

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
It's called "Word of WISDOM", or "Word of knowledge", both subsets of "Prophesy". An example is Nathan, dropping the hammer on David.

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
Prophecy is one of the physical supernatural manifestations of the Holy Spirit that Paul said will cease at some point (1st Cor. 13:8).

We are unsure of when they ceased but ceased they have.

If the physical supernatural manifestations of the Holy Spirit had not ceased, we would not even entertain this question.
Chuckle!!!! They will cease when "that Perfect" comes. Just because "Pentehostiles" like yourself say the gifts are gone, doesn't mean they are. It's only "Theology" after all.

Lamar

May 21, 2023
Chuckle!!!! They will cease when "that Perfect" comes. Just because "Pentehostiles" like yourself say the gifts are gone, doesn't mean they are. It's only "Theology" after all.
The "perfect" has definitely come. We know this because the physical manifestations of the Holy Spirit has ceased. This is not a difficult notion to understand.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
If what they're saying isn't already in the Bible in black & white - reject it as mere opinion. This Bible alone is God's word and is sufficient.
Notice the absolute terms: All scripture is given ... that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. 2 Tim 3:16-17 (KJV)
When they claim that what they're saying is directly from the Lord and is meant specifically for you, they're tampering with perfection and trying to add to thoroughness.
Here's the verse:

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

It's the teaching, rebuking, and correcting that trains up God's servants, not merely the reading of scripture. This requires relationships... like Paul had with Timothy, Titus, and Silvanus, for examples.

See, Paul is not writing this in a bubble. He's writing to his son in the Lord, Timothy. Timothy would know how to train others up by the way Paul trained him up. This is the pattern shown to us by Jesus and the disciples.

Jun 20, 2022
Personal Prophecy?
I believe it is just that, it is personal.

Pastor stands before his 500 person Congregation and says, God told me to build a church building big enough to see 10,000 members.
Congregation believes Pastor did hear from God and raised and built a new facility accommodating up to 10,000 people.
Within 2 years time, 10,000 people were Members of that Church.

The numbers are different but this Story is factually True on THREE different, totally separate, and unrelated connection to 3 Pastors and Their Congregations.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I believe the gift of prophecy continues into today. I think it’s a gift that has been abused in some Christian circles these are The examples we often see where prophecy is abused and then completely ignored as a heresy in the opposite camp. What about the guy who gets an encouragement from a church member to plant a church? And then goes and builds it. Is that not a prophetic word from a fellow believer? I think there can be a balance in the gift or any of the supernatural gifts for that matter but it’s up to us to use both discernment, wisdom and avoid the extremes of a prophecy a minute or the other extreme of placing God in a box denying the Spirit of our living God to move among the saints. God speaks and he will use other believers. I’ve been on the receiving end of a divine intervention where I was being given words from another believer, complete stranger to come away from carnality.He didn’t know anything of my carnality but God spoke through this man I have no doubt.
Do you believe in personal prophecy? If so, what are the scriptures you use to base this belief on?