Is Sin Serious?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Richie_2uk
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

Richie_2uk

Guest
Is Sin Serious?
John Blanchard

When a disease has been diagnosed, naturally it’s important to ask the question: ‘Is it serious?’ there will be a sense of worry kicking in. But if y that same question is asked about the spiritual disease of Sin. Many people will almost cheerfully admit to being sinners, because they have no idea what this means. They treat it as being ‘just human nature’, or they shelter behind the fact that ‘everybody does it’. But those statements dodge the real issue: Is Sin Serious? Well here are some of the things the Bible says about you as a sinner.

1. You are debased: This does not mean that you are as bad as you can possibly be, or that you are constantly committing every sin. Nor does it mean that you cannot tell right from wrong, or do things that are pleasant and helpful. But it does mean that sin has invaded every part of your nature and personality – your mind, will, affections, conscience, disposition and imagination. The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. The root of your trouble is not what you do but what you are! You sin because you are a sinner.

2. You are defiled: The Bible pulls no punches here: For from within, out of men’s heart, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. Notice that the list includes thoughts, words and actions. This shows that in God’s sight all sin is equally serious. Some people even limit their idea of sin to things like murder, adultery and robbery, but the Bible makes it clear that we have no right to think of sin in this way. Sin is anything that fails to meet God’s perfect standards. Anything we say, think or do that is less perfect is sin. Now face up to this question: Who can say, ‘I have kept my heart pure; I am clean and without sin’? Can you? Be honest about that question? If not, you are defiled.

3. You are defiant: the Bible teaches that sin is lawlessness, deliberate rebellion against God’s authority and law. No civil law forces you to lie, cheat, have impure thoughts, or sin in any other way. You choose to sin. It’s as simple but serious as that. You are the one who chooses to break God’s Holy law. You deliberately disobeyed him and that my friends, is serious, so yes Sin is serious, because God is a righteous judge who expresses his wrath every day. God can never be ‘soft’ about sin, and you can be sure that not even one sin will go unpunished. Some small part of God’s punishment of sin comes in this life (though we may not recognize it). But the final punishment will be inflicted after death, when on the day of judgement each one of us will give account of himself or herself to God.

So let’s re-ask this same question again, ‘Is Sin serious?’ and see if this answers that question.
 
Hm.. Sends all of mankind to hell and is the sole problem of our world today. I would say so!
 
It is so serious that the very Son of God had to come as a Man and die for us.

And I believe that Christ's death went WAY beyond giving mankind the opportunity for salvation; it dealt with the sin problem itself, which is far bigger than us.
 
Sin is indeed serious but even when all of what the scriptures you posted say about us even in all of our filth and darkness God still wants us desperately and goes to great lengths to have us so there must be something deep inside us that is more than worth fighting for more than worth going through extreme pain. something even deeper than the sin and darkness its self.
 
Sin has caused all death and destruction throughout the history of mankind. It is a cancer within us. To understand sin, is to understand the very nature of man.
 
Sin has caused all death and destruction throughout the history of mankind. It is a cancer within us. To understand sin, is to understand the very nature of man.
That may be so but sin holds no power over me nor will it ever again. I am a sinner yes and I sin I screw up I fall but when I was washed by the blood of ever lasting life when I tasted the living water sin lost all power the chains were shattered into pieces and in fathers eyes I am clean and spotless and remembers my sins no more as if they never existed to begin with.

I admit I do not see myself as father sees me but one day I am sure I will and in doing so I will see others this way as well, sin lost the war and we will never be holy and pure and righteous on our own or because of our works or how little we sin but we can if we rest in him when we hand it all over to him for he is holy and strong and clean and pure.

So I say to sin you have failed Jesus has won
 
I eat Halloween candy.
I fill my christmas stocking with presents.
I believe in the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny. jk jk

I am a heathen sinner.. ;)
 
Sin being serious is more about blocking the life of Christ being shown through us.
It has everything to do with denying the power within us to express His fruits.
It has everything to do with grieving the Holy Spirit.
 
[h=1]John 8:34[/h]
“Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.”

King James Version (KJV)
​
 
It is so serious that the very Son of God had to come as a Man and die for us.

And I believe that Christ's death went WAY beyond giving mankind the opportunity for salvation; it dealt with the sin problem itself, which is far bigger than us.
I agree and
+++
Paul also wrote In

Romans 7:20-25
king James version(KJV)

20.)Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

21.)I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

22.)For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

23.)But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

24.)O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25.)I thank GOD through JESUS CHRIST our LORD. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
 
Sin by whose scrutiny? Did Jesus not say he paid for your sins and that you are righteous because of him? That he made you a holy vessel of honor for him? How can a holy vessel be sinful?

Do you realize that if you knew who you are in the reality of Jesus Christ that sin wouldn't even be an issue in your mind?

"If you are afraid of what the spiritual elite would find against you, then you might want to consider the scrutiny Jesus had to deal with. After all, those who appeared spiritual concluded that Jesus was not of God. Can you guess which mindset seeks to convince you that YOU are not of God? Those who are not of God are only concerned with how they appear to others, and will hold each other (including you) to their systems and their interpretations of what good and righteous and spiritual looks like in the real world." [Jim Minker - Christian author]
 
[h=1]John 8:34-36New International Version (NIV)[/h] [SUP]34 [/SUP]Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. [SUP]35 [/SUP]Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. [SUP]36 [/SUP]So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
 
[h=1]John 8:34-36New International Version (NIV)[/h] [SUP]34 [/SUP]Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. [SUP]35 [/SUP]Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. [SUP]36 [/SUP]So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

People tend to misunderstand this verse. Before we accept Christ yes we are slaves to sin but in him we are made sons and daughters of God and therefore are no longer slaves to sin. It's easy to pick apart the verse to try to say if we sin we are slaves to sin but if we are slaves to sin because we sin then Jesus died for nothing and we are all going to hell
 
People tend to misunderstand this verse. Before we accept Christ yes we are slaves to sin but in him we are made sons and daughters of God and therefore are no longer slaves to sin. It's easy to pick apart the verse to try to say if we sin we are slaves to sin but if we are slaves to sin because we sin then Jesus died for nothing and we are all going to hell


[h=1]John 8:34-36New International Version (NIV)[/h] [SUP]34 [/SUP]Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. [SUP]35 [/SUP]Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. [SUP]36 [/SUP]So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.


Hey Blainster

I understood it in the same manner as u do - i didn't quote it to condemn. It's the last line I love the most!
 
[h=1]John 8:34-36New International Version (NIV)[/h] [SUP]34 [/SUP]Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. [SUP]35 [/SUP]Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. [SUP]36 [/SUP]So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.


Hey Blainster

I understood it in the same manner as u do - i didn't quote it to condemn. It's the last line I love the most!
Oh I know you didn't post it to condemn I was just posting my two cents with your post since you posted the entire verse instead of one part of it