IS SMOKING A SIN?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
I must admit I gave in and bought a disposal one...I am struggling with this ...I am hoping that when this runs out , I will eventually get in the habit of breaking the hand movement ( hand to mouth ) until I do not pick it up no more...xox...

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
I can not take that Lighthearted because of my past with mental illness...It gives hallucinations when asleep ...I gave up smoking tobacco four years ago , now I want to come off the E-Cig...xox...

J

Jo799

Ok what is the benefits of vaping? Nothing it threats ur life and make u depressed and nervous so I advice u to psychologist because it is an addiction and need a professional and ur faith please don't wait and save ur life

Feb 2, 2018
Anything that isn't done with a pure heart is a sin. As a human being...it is impossible for you to do anything good apart of god. If you do something good and feel good about it it is a sin. Your life has no value apart from Jesus.

Aenon

Jan 31, 2018

Sin is anything that will not glorify God..
May I suggest that before you do something which you are uncertain..Ask if it will glorify Him :)

Isny

Jan 15, 2017
May I suggest that before you do something which you are uncertain..Ask if it will glorify Him :)
Yes, this is something to think about. Yes indeed.

Moi

Feb 4, 2018
I believe is not but I would like to consider how a Christian can become a stumbling blocks for new believers who don't expect that to happen with a Christian circle.
Personally I am not the partaker of that but just feel is not a good example thought is good to discuss such a thing in Christian forums so that we may know the realities and how is in applicable in some contexts.

Feb 5, 2017
Would God ever say to you, I think you should have a cigarette? Therefore it is a sin.

stillness

Jan 28, 2013
Walk trough the valley
"Not what goes into the mouth defiles the man but what comes out," If addiction comes out from the heart then your deceitful heart is looking for comfort in the wrong place, rather than being renewed by the Holy Spirit who will satisfy our thirst. Check out the post on is masturbation sin, for more information.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
"Not what goes into the mouth defiles the man but what comes out," If addiction comes out from the heart then your deceitful heart is looking for comfort in the wrong place, rather than being renewed by the Holy Spirit who will satisfy our thirst. Check out the post on is masturbation sin, for more information.
Hold up...... are you trying to say masturbation is a sin?

Mar 7, 2018
Its a struggle for sure. People ask if it's a sin. It is defiling the temple He gave us , so yes. I have been struggling with it to sister. Down to only one today. I find it's partly addiction and partly habit. He can remove the addiction we just need to change our habit pattern. We can both get past it. God bless you

B

Bella37

I have absolutely Hated Smoking, & anything to do with it since a small child. I grew up around most of my family smoking, I can not tell you how much their habits caused me so much discomfort & stress.
I believe that the need/craving to smoke, & destroy, our body, is a terrible trap of the enemy, to stop GODS Word from being honoured, through our bodies remaining healthy, & whole.
There are so many ways to self harm our body, The Temple Of The Holy Spirit, yet smoking, & Alcohol, are 2 of the most addictive, & dangerous, deceptive traps. I am blessed that I hate, both!!

Love & Hugs!
Bella xo :) <><<

Isny

Jan 15, 2017
I have absolutely Hated Smoking, & anything to do with it since a small child. I grew up around most of my family smoking, I can not tell you how much their habits caused me so much discomfort & stress.
I believe that the need/craving to smoke, & destroy, our body, is a terrible trap of the enemy, to stop GODS Word from being honoured, through our bodies remaining healthy, & whole.
There are so many ways to self harm our body, The Temple Of The Holy Spirit, yet smoking, & Alcohol, are 2 of the most addictive, & dangerous, deceptive traps. I am blessed that I hate, both!!

Love & Hugs!
Bella xo :) <><<

Smoking and drinking: there are few things in life that are so bad and are still legal. Some people think it is “cool” to smoke and drink (even to get drunk) but these people soon pay a terrible price and definitely a horrendous price later on in life (health).

Smoking is filthy, unhealthy and expensive. Imagine, the cost of smoking over 30, 40 years or more. These costs could fund an education for one or even two children or pay bills to stay out of debt. Or how about taking your wife on a second honeymoon after 50 years of marriage!.....opps! my wife just saw this. She said she is ready to go! Well......when we leave this life, we can’t take our material possessions (our “big” bank account) with us! Maybe we just might do something soon along this line.

A sin? of course it is...as Bella said above, “self harm our body, The Temple Of The Holy Spirit”.

Last edited:
K

kaylagrl

Smoking and drinking: there are few things in life that are so bad and are still legal. Some people think it is “cool” to smoke and drink (even to get drunk) but these people soon pay a terrible price and definitely a horrendous price later on in life (health).

Smoking is filthy, unhealthy and expensive. Imagine, the cost of smoking over 30, 40 years or more. These costs could fund an education for one or even two children or pay bills to stay out of debt. Or how about taking your wife on a second honeymoon after 50 years of marriage!.....opps! my wife just saw this. She said she is ready to go! Well......when we leave this life, we can’t take our material possessions (our “big” bank account) with us! Maybe we just might do something soon along this line.

A sin? of course it is...as Bella said above, “self harm our body, The Temple Of The Holy Spirit”.

I don't know that I see it as a sin. I use to. Then I met my husband,who is a smoker,has been for a long time.He wants to quit,has cut way back since he met me. This year he decided he wanted to try and quit and has gone on meds. Ive never had an issue with smoking or drinking in my life. So I did not understand just how difficult it was to try and quit.I see him struggling with bad side effects and trying to stay on the meds,he's afraid of letting everyone down. Its a real struggle but I don't think its a sin.

J

JB2018

Honestly, I believe that it is. Because our bodies are not our own and we have been brought with a price (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). We are to present our bodies as a living sacrifice, HOLY, and acceptable to God, which is our reasonable service (Romans 12:1) Smoking becomes addictive, then it harms the body. This is not something Jesus would want. And, I always try to imagine someone who is living holy/righteously for God. Would a holy person who is filled with the spirit of God commit such acts? Would they do harm to their bodies after knowing what the scriptures says? These are just some things to think about. :)

Mar 7, 2018
Anything we do that damages this fearfully and wonderfully made temple God gave us is a sin. And I still smoke, thankfully I'm down to 2 a day and will overcome this addiction. The very fact it's an addiction says we are putting it before God. This comment is not intended to condemn anyone, just to point out sin is sin. Justifying sin for any reason is not helping those in it. Trust me I know about sin as I was an alcoholic, drug user. womanizer etc. I also know God can and will heal anyone when the truly desire it. He healed me of all my addictions and depression overnight when I cried out to Him after 20 or so years of backsliding. I still smoked because I didn't want to give it up. It's taken 2 years of Him constantly trying to draw me away from it and closer to Him to actually really try. I support your husband on this difficult journey.

L

LPT

Anything we do that damages this fearfully and wonderfully made temple God gave us is a sin. And I still smoke, thankfully I'm down to 2 a day and will overcome this addiction. The very fact it's an addiction says we are putting it before God. This comment is not intended to condemn anyone, just to point out sin is sin. Justifying sin for any reason is not helping those in it. Trust me I know about sin as I was an alcoholic, drug user. womanizer etc. I also know God can and will heal anyone when the truly desire it. He healed me of all my addictions and depression overnight when I cried out to Him after 20 or so years of backsliding. I still smoked because I didn't want to give it up. It's taken 2 years of Him constantly trying to draw me away from it and closer to Him to actually really try. I support your husband on this difficult journey.
2 a day how in the world that's pretty good control, I smoke over a pack a day, I don't think I could just start reducing my intake, I've quit twice in my life, I surely need to quit now but I think for me like the other times I did I went cold turkey.

Mar 7, 2018
If you did it twice you can do it again. Third times a winner. Don't give up.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Can you imagine God smoking a cigarette? Or you lighting one up right in front of Him? Knowing that they are harmful to your body all the warnings on the packages. Horrible habit and probably a sin if you put smoking before God.

But we could put anything before God and it's still bad... Not sure if it is a sin but know it is bad for you.

I remember as a child the smoke hanging in the house so thick that I got headaches from it as both of my parents smoked and most of their friends did too so if there was a party I was in pain.... Smoking also ended the lives of my Mother at 42, Brother at 39 and Dad at 56. First two from massive heart attacks and Dad from lung cancer. Also an Uncle who had his lung burst from emphysema....

So I personally hate smoking unfortunately my sweet husband smokes and has for many years before he met and married me and I'm constantly worried about the end he will be facing some day. Heart attack, lung cancer, emphysema, COPD? Who knows but the thought a cigarette will end the life of someone I love so much again just breaks my heart to even think about it.

I'm sure part of my breathing problems now are from the second hand smoke I was around as a child and also as an adult with so many people smoking around me in work places and such.... The laws have only been in force for part of my life which make people smoke outside now.....

A sin? Maybe - a filthy, horrible, costly habit certainly.... taking lives of people we love.... heart breaking and devastating.