IS SMOKING A SIN?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

joefizz

Can you imagine God smoking a cigarette? Or you lighting one up right in front of Him? Knowing that they are harmful to your body all the warnings on the packages. Horrible habit and probably a sin if you put smoking before God.

But we could put anything before God and it's still bad... Not sure if it is a sin but know it is bad for you.

I remember as a child the smoke hanging in the house so thick that I got headaches from it as both of my parents smoked and most of their friends did too so if there was a party I was in pain.... Smoking also ended the lives of my Mother at 42, Brother at 39 and Dad at 56. First two from massive heart attacks and Dad from lung cancer. Also an Uncle who had his lung burst from emphysema....

So I personally hate smoking unfortunately my sweet husband smokes and has for many years before he met and married me and I'm constantly worried about the end he will be facing some day. Heart attack, lung cancer, emphysema, COPD? Who knows but the thought a cigarette will end the life of someone I love so much again just breaks my heart to even think about it.

I'm sure part of my breathing problems now are from the second hand smoke I was around as a child and also as an adult with so many people smoking around me in work places and such.... The laws have only been in force for part of my life which make people smoke outside now.....

A sin? Maybe - a filthy, horrible, costly habit certainly.... taking lives of people we love.... heart breaking and devastating.
Wasn't going to post in this thread then someone liked an old post of mine in it and blah blah blah blah...
Anyways I still stand by what I said before "the wages of sins is death" it doesn't mean that if you get alchohol or smoke into your system that it's counted necessarily as outright sin but continual use of any potentially hazardous substance can lead to death,not any one bit typically(excluding very immediately harmful substances such as poorly made moon shine that can kill or cause blindness) it can be about the same as eating something "unhealthy" which as is told in many scriptures in the old testament that either way it's sin but "bondage to sin" is rather different that's when God gets "upset" or "intentional sin" after God helps a person(read on the Israelites they did this plenty) anything that can "trap" you into delaying servitude to God/Jesus is best to seriously consider "getting away from".
Smoking is nothing more than a "tool" for sin it's the "individual" that can "make it a sin" and "choose to make it a crutch" or "treat it as something that is not important".
For example often men after delivering a child would smoke a cigarette as a "calmer" but not "make it important to their life" anyone can do the same or if one is in this sin they can be free of it through Jesus or sometimes with "enough motivation".
My main point is still "you can stop" giving "tools of sin importance in your lives" sin is everywhere but when it comes to "material objects" one must remember "if you can make it or buy it then you can forsake it" because they have "no power on their own".

Mar 10, 2013
this is a good question and a good post. the simple answer is it is a horrible expenditure for a servant of God to literally spend money on something, burn that something and get, alot of toxins from however, I smoke still. I had vaped for three years and when my mom died, I went back to smoking. Vaping isnt damaging, or at least not nearly as bad as smoking was. I felt so much better, my spirit was refreshed, lungs felt more powerful than in years, and of course i smelled much better. I have started vaping again recently and i expect i will soon put down the smokes again. I do want to say a few things from my own experience. It is possible that it is sin but also possible that it is not. At any rate, if we are free in Christ we should be more concerned with serving one another in love and working to keep any member of the body from committing the unforgivable sin. Everything else is covered. I do not believe smoking is a deliberate sin. Although it has many toxins, it also contains nicotine which helps people who suffer spiritually. Since I understand that spiritual struggle, I know that my smoking was a crutch, and perhaps an ungodly one, certainly not the best thing for me to do but not anything that anyone is going to hell over. At least not if i am appointed judge, which we know i am not. I do believe I have the spirit of our God in me tho so, there is that. I think we should focus our attention on speaking the truth in love and building one another up in God encouraging one another and serving one another just as we long to serve God. These are the things that matter the most.
God my God, You are I AM WHO I AM AND I AM YOURS.

L

LPT

Can you imagine God smoking a cigarette? Or you lighting one up right in front of Him? Knowing that they are harmful to your body all the warnings on the packages. Horrible habit and probably a sin if you put smoking before God.

But we could put anything before God and it's still bad... Not sure if it is a sin but know it is bad for you.

I remember as a child the smoke hanging in the house so thick that I got headaches from it as both of my parents smoked and most of their friends did too so if there was a party I was in pain.... Smoking also ended the lives of my Mother at 42, Brother at 39 and Dad at 56. First two from massive heart attacks and Dad from lung cancer. Also an Uncle who had his lung burst from emphysema....

So I personally hate smoking unfortunately my sweet husband smokes and has for many years before he met and married me and I'm constantly worried about the end he will be facing some day. Heart attack, lung cancer, emphysema, COPD? Who knows but the thought a cigarette will end the life of someone I love so much again just breaks my heart to even think about it.

I'm sure part of my breathing problems now are from the second hand smoke I was around as a child and also as an adult with so many people smoking around me in work places and such.... The laws have only been in force for part of my life which make people smoke outside now.....

A sin? Maybe - a filthy, horrible, costly habit certainly.... taking lives of people we love.... heart breaking and devastating.
you make good points for sure, and I believe everything we do is right infront of Him.

L

LPT

If you did it twice you can do it again. Third times a winner. Don't give up.
thanks and you as well, hopely those last two will be none. addictions can be a struggle at times, one day at a time.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I don't know that I see it as a sin. I use to. Then I met my husband,who is a smoker,has been for a long time.He wants to quit,has cut way back since he met me. This year he decided he wanted to try and quit and has gone on meds. Ive never had an issue with smoking or drinking in my life. So I did not understand just how difficult it was to try and quit.I see him struggling with bad side effects and trying to stay on the meds,he's afraid of letting everyone down. Its a real struggle but I don't think its a sin.
I feel your husband's pain. A couple years ago I quit for 3 months, then one day snapped and took up the habit again. I know the agony your husband is going through and know I face the same when once again I quit, hopefully for good.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
thanks and you as well, hopely those last two will be none. addictions can be a struggle at times, one day at a time.
I wish you well in your determination to end this addiction. I'm a nicotine addict as well. Hopefully, quitting is in my future. Cold turkey. It's going to be a painful dreadful experience but I suppose that it's true that you reap what you sow. Perhaps God in His mercy and compassion will mitigate the damage to my body that I probably caused by abuse. It would be nice if He paved the way for me and took away the cravings too. That would truly be a blessing.