Is the “day of Christ” the day of the Rapture?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
There are two significant days mentioned in the Bible -- “the day of the LORD” and “the day of Christ” (also called “the day of Jesus Christ” or “the day of our Lord Jesus Christ”).

Since “the day of the LORD” is clearly a period of divine judgment revealed in the Old Testament, it should not be confused with “the day of Christ” (found only in the New Testament). Unfortunately the King James Bible called “the day of the Lord” the day of Christ in 2 Thessalonians 2:2, which totally skews the meaning of that passage. Almost all the other translations have “the day o the Lord” which is correct.

We know from other Scriptures that the Resurrection/Rapture of the saints will occur on a specific day (which is still in the future). Now we will see that “the day of Christ” relates to that event in the verses shown below:

THE DAY OF CHRIST APPLIES TO CHRISTIAN READINESS
That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ (Phil 1:10)

THERE WILL BE REJOICING ON THE DAY OF CHRIST
Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain. (Phil 2:16)

CHRISTIANS ARE TO BE BLAMELESS ON THE DAY OF CHRIST
So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.(1 Cor 1:7,8)

Here the day of the Rapture (“the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ”) and “the day of Christ” are shown to be one and the same. Since the saints will be perfected and glorified on that day, they will then be “blameless”. But until then they are to be “sincere and without offence” and “holding forth the Word of Life”.

CHRISTIANS WILL BE PERFECTED ON THE DAY OF CHRIST
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: (Phil 1:6) This ties in with 1 John 3:1-3: Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

In view of all these passages it should be clear that every believer is required to purify himself or herself in preparation for the Rapture on the day of Christ. Paul seems to also imply that immediately after the Rapture, the event known as the Judgment Seat of Christ will take place. Here all the works of the saints will be assessed for their eternal value. Those which are precious will receive corresponding rewards or crowns. Those which are worthless will be "burned up".

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
Christ and God are one in same correct?

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Can, "Seize the day," as the common saying goes, technically be rephrased as "Rapture the day"?

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
There are two significant days mentioned in the Bible -- “the day of the LORD” and “the day of Christ” (also called “the day of Jesus Christ” or “the day of our Lord Jesus Christ”).
Since “the day of the LORD” is clearly a period of divine judgment revealed in the Old Testament, it should not be confused with “the day of Christ” (found only in the New Testament). Unfortunately the King James Bible called “the day of the Lord” the day of Christ in 2 Thessalonians 2:2, which totally skews the meaning of that passage. Almost all the other translations have “the day o the Lord” which is correct.
We know from other Scriptures that the Resurrection/Rapture of the saints will occur on a specific day (which is still in the future). Now we will see that “the day of Christ” relates to that event in the verses shown below:
Agreed! (y) Great post!

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
There seems to me to be a third significant day... The one Jesus called the last day.
Joh_6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
Joh_6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
Joh_6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
Joh_6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
Joh_7:37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
Joh_12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
The context is a few clicks away

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
Can, "Seize the day," as the common saying goes, technically be rephrased as "Rapture the day"?
:D

I just looked up the word "seizing" and saw this (yourdictionary [dot] com):

"Seizings are a class of knots used to semi-permanently bind together two ropes, two parts of the same rope, or rope and another object."

[think: "permanently" for OUR illustration :D ]

Which at Merriam-Webster says this ( https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/seizing ):

"seizing - noun

seiz·ing ˈsē-ziŋ

1 a: the cord or lashing used in binding or fastening

b: the fastening so made

see knot illustration [link didn't auto-transfer, so see illustration here: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/knot#art ]

2: the operation of fastening together or lashing with tarred small stuff

So, "SEIZING the day" (<--or perhaps that was said by the dyslexic who REALLY meant "the SEIZING day" LOL) is what one could legitimately be called:

"the day we [Jesus & Us] TIE THE KNOT!!" ( :D )

(G4862 - "UNIONed-with" Him; "and so / in this manner shall we ever be WITH [G4862 - UNIONed-with] the Lord"!! 1Th4:17. ON THAT DAY! RIGHT!! "The day of OUR Lord Jesus Christ" [UP THERE "WITH" Him])

Interesting too, that in Gen2:21-23,22 it says, "...and brought her UNTO THE MAN" (which is what took place on the SIXTH DAY (not on "the seventh" i.e. the "last" day)

... "and OUR gathering-together UNTO HIM" 2Th2:1

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Well harpazo also means seize or snatch, but no one would understand "Rapture the day". Better to go with Carpe Diem!:cool:

P

pottersclay

Nehemiah do you see the rapture as pre trib? If so why?

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
Great Topic ---Sparked me to research it ------

I do agree that the Day of Christ and the Day of the Lord are 2 separate Events -----

The Scripture does verify that the Day Of Christ is to do with the Rapture of the Church ------

I say ----------So we see in these 3 Scriptures below that it describes how the Saints who are here now are to act and respond to this world until the Day of Christ comes -----

The Saints are not to -----
be shaken in mind or troubled either By or by word or by letter Spirit

The Saints are to learn -----
to recognize and treasure what is excellent [identifying the best, and distinguishing moral differences]
and be pure and Blameless until the Day of Christ ------and be filled with the fruit of Righteousness so the Glory of Jesus can be seen ------

The Saints are to do -------all things without complaining and disputing ----so they are blameless and harmless without fault in living in the midst of a crooked and perverse people so that their lights shines in this world --holding fast to the Word of Life -------until the Day of Christ comes -----

2 Thessalonians 2:1-2 NKJV
The Great Apostasy
2 Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you,

2 not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of [a]Christ had come.

Philippians 1:9-11 AMP B

9 And this I pray, that your love may abound more and more [displaying itself in greater depth] in real knowledge and in practical insight,

10 so that you may learn to recognize and treasure what is excellent [identifying the best, and distinguishing moral differences], and that you may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ [actually living lives that lead others away from sin];

11 filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God [so that His glory may be both revealed and recognized].

Philippians 2 NKJV
Light Bearers
13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

14 Do all things without [d]complaining and disputing,[e]

15 that you may become blameless and [f]harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,

16 holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.

1 Corinthians 1:7-8 NKJV

7 so that you come short in no gift, eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ,
8 who will also confirm you to the end, that you may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
Unfortunately the King James Bible called “the day of the Lord” the day of Christ in 2 Thessalonians 2:2, which totally skews the meaning of that passage. Almost all the other translations have “the day o the Lord” which is correct.

My view on this

I think if you do your research on that ---you will find that the Thessalonian Saints were teaching wrongly and they thought that the Day of the Lord was at hand and Paul corrected them -----Stating that things have to happen before the Day of the Lord comes and says he already told them about this when he was with them before -----

I say
So the Kings James has the right Translation ---as verse 1 and 2 go together ---and that is the Day of Christ -which refers to the Rapture -----

and other translations have it wrong-----as far as the first 2 verses go -------the context of the rest of the scripture is to do with the Day of the Lord -----

KJV
2 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.

I say -------Paul here teaching them -their error -------as they are teaching the Day of the Lord and NOT the Day of Christ -----

Paul here now is speaking of the Day of the Lord in verse 3--4-5

3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?

Here it is in another translation ---the NIV --that says the Day of the Lord --------

NOTICE ---verse 2 ----says that they are asserting that --the Day of the Lord has already come ---Paul then corrects them -----

The Man of Lawlessness
2 Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers and sisters,

2 not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by the teaching allegedly from us—whether by a prophecy or by word of mouth or by letter—asserting that the day of the Lord has already come.

I say
Paul here is correcting them here-----he is telling the about the day of the Lord -------

3 Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness[a] is revealed, the man doomed to destruction.

4 He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.

5 Don’t you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things? 6 And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time

I say
So when words seem to be mixed up in Scripture ---Research and understanding is warranted ----

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Christ and God are one in same correct?
Christ is the Son of God (the Word of God who was in the beginning with God the Father). So what we have is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit in the Godhead. There is a false teaching called Modalism which denies this truth.

Modalism, also called Sabellianism, is the unorthodox belief that God is one person who has revealed himself in three forms or modes in contrast to the Trinitarian doctrine where God is one being eternally existing in three persons. According to Modalism, during the incarnation, Jesus was simply God acting in one mode or role, and the Holy Spirit at Pentecost was God acting in a different mode. Thus, God does not exist as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit at the same time. Rather, He is one person and has merely manifested himself in these three modes at various times. Modalism thus denies the basic distinctiveness and coexistence of the three persons of the Trinity.
https://www.theopedia.com/modalism

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
There seems to me to be a third significant day... The one Jesus called the last day.
Joh_6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
Joh_6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
Joh_6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
Joh_6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
Joh_7:37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
Joh_12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
The context is a few clicks away
“And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭20:11-15‬ ‭KJV‬‬

that’s the last day of this world when the dead are raised up and when death is overcome and destroyed every time is always adding understsnding to the same day

“Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.”( cast into the lake of fire because the dead have risen up to life )
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:51-52, 54‬ ‭KJV‬‬

It’s this same day when the dead are raised up from the grave and judged

“Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:28-29‬ ‭KJV‬‬

this same day when Jesus the judge returns and the dead are judged

“For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.”
‭‭1 Thessalonians‬ ‭4:16-17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

All of that stuff is elaborating on this promise of Jesus

“So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just, and shall cast them into the furnace of fire: ( lake of fire ) there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭13:49-50‬ ‭KJV‬‬

As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire;

so shall it be in the end of this world. The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; and shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth. ( the lake of fire )

Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭13:40-43‬ ‭KJV‬‬

just after the judgement nd they are cast into the lake of fire you have the righteous in the kingdom

“And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭24:3-4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Jesus left earth into heaven he’s not coming back until the end of the world his coming will end this world in fire and brimstone in an instant the saved will be caught up together in the sky with Jesus thier spirits not thier flesh.

At the last day of this earth Jesus will return and gather his people both the dead and living first the dead will rise in their spiritual body , then those still alive will be translated to spiritual beings like Jesus .

When Jesus comes back the dead will rise to be judged and this day will come to pass

“but the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. ( the lake of fire )

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. ( the end of this world )

Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God,( same day different term ) wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:7-13‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Jesus will return one day and thisnworld will end and be destroyed like it says there then after the lake of fire in revelation you have that new earth peters talking about

“And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely. He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭21:1-7‬ ‭KJV‬‬

a Jesus left into heaven and one day will return nd everything written will occur as it says

there’s just one day we’re waiting for they were waiting for it too that’s what peters explaining that people would come along questioning if he’s going to return one day and do what Peter is saying there end this world and gather his people into a new one

“knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, and saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:3-4‬ ‭

Peter then goes into explaining how this world is coming to a violent end when Jesus returns but believers have the true hope of a new world the last day is when Jesus will return and get her his people judge the dead and usher in the new things

Aussie52

Aug 31, 2022

THE DAY OF CHRIST APPLIES TO CHRISTIAN READINESS
That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ (Phil 1:10)

THERE WILL BE REJOICING ON THE DAY OF CHRIST
Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain. (Phil 2:16)

CHRISTIANS ARE TO BE BLAMELESS ON THE DAY OF CHRIST
So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.(1 Cor 1:7,8)

Here the day of the Rapture (“the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ”) and “the day of Christ” are shown to be one and the same. Since the saints will be perfected and glorified on that day, they will then be “blameless”. But until then they are to be “sincere and without offence” and “holding forth the Word of Life”.

CHRISTIANS WILL BE PERFECTED ON THE DAY OF CHRIST
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: (Phil 1:6) This ties in with 1 John 3:1-3: Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

In view of all these passages it should be clear that every believer is required to purify himself or herself in preparation for the Rapture on the day of Christ. Paul seems to also imply that immediately after the Rapture, the event known as the Judgment Seat of Christ will take place. Here all the works of the saints will be assessed for their eternal value. Those which are precious will receive corresponding rewards or crowns. Those which are worthless will be "burned up".
Great post!

Jeff

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I say So the Kings James has the right Translation ---as verse 1 and 2 go together ---and that is the Day of Christ -which refers to the Rapture ----- and other translations have it wrong-----as far as the first 2 verses go -------the context of the rest of the scripture is to do with the Day of the Lord -----
Once we understand that "the day of the LORD (Lord)" is a period of divine judgments, then it follows that the day of the Lord cannot PRECEDE the revelation and reign of the Antichrist. This is clearly shown in the Olivet Discourse (Matthew 24) where we first see (1) the Abomination of Desolation being set up by the Antichrist and then (2) the Great Tribulation and what follows, which corresponds to the day of the Lord.

15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand) 16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains...21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.... 29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

Those cosmic signs are a part of the day of the LORD: The earth shall quake before them; the heavens shall tremble: the sun and the moon shall be dark, and the stars shall withdraw their shining: And the LORD shall utter his voice before his army: for his camp is very great: for he is strong that executeth his word: for the day of the LORD is great and very terrible; and who can abide it?... And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke: The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come: (Joel 2:10,11; Acts 2:19,20)

Now when we turn to 2 Thessalonians 2:2,3 we will see that it should be "the day of the Lord" (as most English translations have it now): That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of the Lord is at hand. Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

So what was Paul saying here (though some of the events are not mentioned here)? Paul was telling us the sequence of events leading to the day of the Lord, which will then be immediately followed by the Second Coming of Christ:

1. The Great Apostasy (a falling away)
2. The revelation of the Antichrist (the Man of Sin, the Son of Perdition)
3. The reign of the Antichrist
4. The Great Tribulation
5. The day of the Lord (cataclysmic cosmic events)
6. The Second Coming of Christ
7. The destruction of the Antichrist.

But the Thessalonians had confused the day of Christ (the day of the Rapture) with the day of the Lord. None of the above is a prerequisite for the Rapture. So Paul was correcting them.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
Nothing has to happen for the Rapture ---all is in place for that ------

there are no signs that need to happen for the Rapture to take place -------Jesus dying on the Cross ---and being resurrected was needed for the Rapture to happen --and that is done --the Rapture can happen at any time --at any moment ---that is why the Day of Christ is at hand ---and the saints are to be prepared for this event and should be presently looking and intentally watching for this event to happen at any time ---- ------it can happen today --tomorrow --this month --next month --1 year from now -----etc ----but all saints are to be ready for that day ------